New Lord of the Rings Documentary Edited Without Director's Blessing

Read up and comment on the latest news on the past and future Middle-earth inspired films.

New Lord of the Rings Documentary Edited Without Director's

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:00 am

<p>Costa Botes, the director who filmed over 800 hours of behind the scenes footage of the making of the <em>Lord of the Rings</em> trilogy, is disappointed that New Line Cinema has made some edits and cuts to the new documentary (to be released on the special DVD editions of LOTR this year) of the films. Here's what <a href="http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3719624a1860,00.html">Stuff.co.nz</a> is reporting: </p><blockquote><p>Botes, who was paid by New Line to make the films and would not get any royalties from DVD sales, said he was pleased the documentaries would soon be out. But he was unhappy he was not consulted about cuts.

"I had no opportunity to take part in this at all. They just shut me out completely. Once they figured out what they wanted to do, there was no opportunity to argue for any of the cuts and no opportunity to correct some really silly things that were done. It would have been nice to have been consulted because I could have actually finessed those things."

Scenes cut included extras dressed as orcs singing Stand By Me. Botes said New Line's reason was it did not want to pay for the rights to use the song. It also cut parts in which music was blaring from radios at Wellington special effects company Weta.

The Lord of the Rings made $4.7 billion at the box office.

Shots showing the top of Mt Ruapehu and Mt Ngauruhoe, near where some filming took place, had also been removed. Botes said he was not aware of any agreement between New Line and iwi to not show the top of the volcanoes in his documentaries. "I can understand the Maori attitude to avoiding depiction of the peaks in the film ... but what have we come to?"

Botes said he understood why cuts had been made where cast and crew were swearing.
</p></blockquote>

Postby Guest » Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:29 pm

<p>Costa answers Mushrooms:</p><p>I'm not a Mrs.It's Mr to you, fella.</p><p>And no. I think you've kind of missed the point. A few missing shots here and there and some edited 'cussing' do not constitute scenes worth reprising.</p><p>Notwithstanding my feelings about NL's gross lack of courtesy in not consulting me before amending my work, I'll repeat that the three documentaries included in the limited editions are 99.5% as I would have wished them to be.</p><p>I do agree about the Orcs singing. Maybe the cost of rights to Stand By Me was just too steep for the studio that made 4.7 billion.</p><p>It's true there is a great deal of material left in the archives, but I have no control over what is done with it. The docs represent the cream of what's available.</p><p>PJ has already said publicy that he has a wonderful stash of bloopers. Again, I have absolutely no control over that material, and no idea when it may see the light of day. My best guess is, wait for a blu-ray edition - probably 2008 at earliest.</p>

Postby *mushroom_dudes* » Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:53 am

<p>Terribley sorry about the name, I had no idea. And don't ask about the four-hundred posts of one comment...things have been acting a little strange lately...</p>
*mushroom_dudes*
Petitioner to the Council

Postby semuta » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:34 pm

<p>Costa,</p><p>Why is your widescreen documentary not presented in anamorphic widescreen on the DVD? Are the production people at New Line retarded? Your documentaries play in a letterboxed 4:3 window on my 16:9 widescreen TV. I have to stretch the picture out to view in widescreen. New Line really messed this up. It's very easy to flag the content as anamorphic 16:9, but it looks like the rushed this through the grinder without much thought.</p>
semuta
Ranger of the North

Return to Movie News