Royd Tolkien backs Peter Jackson for The Hobbit

Read up and comment on the latest news on the past and future Middle-earth inspired films.

Royd Tolkien backs Peter Jackson for The Hobbit

Postby Guest » Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:00 am

<p>J.R.R. Tolkien's great-grandson Royd Tolkien (who had a cameo in <em>The Return of the King</em> as a Ranger in Osgiliath) has <a target="_blank" href="http://www.aintitcool.com/node/30937">let everyone know</a> exactly what he thinks about the prospect of someone else other than Peter Jackson directing <em>The Hobbit</em>. Here's an excerpt:
</p><blockquote><p>Before the films were made i held massive reservations and fears that JRRT and LOTR would be used as merely a tool in producing revenue and ultimately a substandard film. But it's different now, and it's different because of Peter.</p><p>3 weeks ago those feelings returned. Without him, and without question, The Hobbit will become what i feared LOTR was to become.</p><p>To find a new director after the time and dedication Peter and all his people put in would not just be wrong, it would also be a bad decision.</p><p> ...</p><p>Whilst i don't know the inner relationship between New Line and Peter, what i do know is that they backed him, all those years ago, to produce LOTR. For that part and many more they played, i'm forever grateful.</p><p>When i saw the end result on screen, knowing that everyone had played a part in putting it there; and were all united in putting it there; it made me smile. I'm sorry but has everyone forgot those simple smiles. Isn't that what making films is all about.</p><p>If Peter hadn't made LOTR with the respect he showed to my Great Grandfather, i'd not have felt compelled to voice my opinion.</p></blockquote><p>There's a definitive consensus that Peter Jackson should direct <em>The Hobbit</em>. If you question that, just take a look at <strong><a href="/petition">our petitions</a></strong>... the one supporting Peter Jackson has an amazing amount of signatures compared to the other.</p>

Return to Movie News