Samwise Still Holds Hopes For 'The Hobbit', But None For Himself

Read up and comment on the latest news on the past and future Middle-earth inspired films.

Samwise Still Holds Hopes For 'The Hobbit', But None For Him

Postby Guest » Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:00 am

<p>After catching up with Galadriel (Cate Blanchett) and Aragorn (Viggo Mortensen), MTV continues its pursuit of Middle-earth's heroes to find out what they have say on the current PJ-NL-Hobbit situation.</p>
<p>Today MTV catches up with Samwise Gamgee, timelessly true to his character, who tells us that he never once gave up hope on 'The Hobbit'.</p>
<p><em>“I’ve said since before we started making the movies and have never wavered for a second that ‘The Hobbit’ would get made,”.</em></p>
<p>And though the timeline of 'The Hobbit' places itself before the birth of Sam, Sean Astin remains hopeful:</p>
<p><em>“But obviously Peter is so creative that he can find a way to connect that character if he wanted to. He knows that anytime, anywhere, he could just make a phone call or send an email and I’d get on a plane and go anywhere he wanted me to.”</em></p>
<p>Read the article '<a title="Sean Astin Willing, But Not Hopeful For ‘Hobbit’ Role" href="http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2007/10/05/sean-astin-willing-but-not-hopeful-for-hobbit-role/" target="_blank" rel="bookmark"><font color="#800080">Sean Astin Willing, But Not Hopeful For ‘Hobbit’ Role</font></a>' on MTV Movies Blog.</p>

Postby Wildwood » Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:38 pm

Let me be the first to stake out the purist ground, on this idea, by saying NO!!! Sam in The Hobbit?? Sam, in a story that occurs before he was even born? Ugh! I hope even PJ is not that silly! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Ok - that didn't come out right. I hope he has more sense than that. That is what I mean to say! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D Never heard a more wrong headed notion. Bad enough the talk of making two movies, and putting Aragorn in it and all that nonsense. But to bring a character in who is supposedly not even born yet?? Blech! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
Wildwood
Ranger of the North

Postby Kiriwana » Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:24 am

I understand why Sean wants to act in The Hobbit, but seeing Sam (even in some different role) would be... um... confusing...
Kiriwana
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Lily Hardbottle » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:07 am

Even though I really like Sean I don't think that he should have a role in The Hobbit, at least not as Sam. Sam has nothing to do with this story and won't even be thought of for quite a few years after the end of it. I do think, though that they should try and use Ian Holme and Ian Mckellen for Bilbo and Gandalf, allthough they may be 'out of age' Having Sam in The Hobbit would most definetly be confusing. I don't think that Jackson will really put in a role for Sean that concerns Sam. At least, I hope not.
Lily Hardbottle

Postby Gungnir » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:34 am

He could always have a cameo as the young Hamfast Gamgee...
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby Lily Hardbottle » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:58 pm

Yes he could play a young Hamfast. But that may not work either really. None of the Gamgees are even mentioned in The Hobbit. I was thinking that he could play a dwarf or something like that. But that may not work either.
Lily Hardbottle

Postby Parmamaite » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:51 pm

True, the Gamgees aren't mentioned in the Hobbit, but Hamfast was already working at Bag End at the time. He and his uncle Holman was trying to protect the garden from being trampled at the auction, and they were there when Bilbo returned to everybody's surprise.
Parmamaite
Ranger of the North

Postby Avallon » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:46 am

As much as I loved his portrayal of Samwise, it would be very weird to see Sean Astin again in another Hobbit role. So I hope they would resist the urge to create another small role just for him, it would be too jarring and would take me out of the movie I think.
Avallon
Ranger of the North

Postby RoseMorninStar » Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:01 am

The only way it could work (that I can think of) would be as said above, if Sean Astin played Hamfast (Gaffer) Gamgee at the end of the Hobbit when Bilbo returns and his home is up for auction. I am sure the Gaffer would have been there.. trying to defend 'his masters' things.

And although I hope Ian McKellen plays Gandalf (he says he will) I think Ian Holm is too old to play Bilbo.. and he has said it would be too strenuous a role for him to play the (younger) Bilbo. After all, he would be in almost every scene.
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby RoseMorninStar » Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:07 am

I don't know why it wouldn't let me edit.. but anyway...

After reading that link.. someone brought up a good point... Sean Astin might just be the right person to narrate The Hobbit... seeing as Samwise is the Heir of The Red Book of Westmarch.
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Sean Astin as The Hobbit

Postby Gilda Gamgee » Wed May 27, 2009 5:50 pm

I agree with Kiriwana. I love Sean Astin and I thought he did a fabulous
job of interpreting the character. I can understand why Sean would
love to stay involved with all things Tolkien, but I too think it would be
confusing. :)
Gilda Gamgee

Postby Bellandora » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:23 am

If I remember before the filming of The Hobbit got under way and during the early stages of filming there were lots of names put forward for roles in The Hobbit. Sean Astin's name cropped up quite often on forum messageboards along with John Rhys Davies.

I have been reading the news articles on this site and noticed that one of the current reports include a clip about John Rhys Davis doing a cameo in The Hobbit. Well Sean can still keep his hopes up if this pans out to be true.
Bellandora
Citizen of Imladris

Return to Movie News