Thranduil's scar

The Hobbit is in production as 3 separate films, and will be released 1 year apart, with the first due December 2012. Head in to discuss your thoughts and reactions, and post any questions you might have about these films.

Re: Thranduil's scar

Postby deepbluesea805 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:34 pm

If it is a real scar (which he hides by using magic) how does he eat or drink? His teeth are visible i.e. the entire tissue seems to be gone. Anything liquid would run out of the gaping hole in his cheek or he has to drink with his head tilted all the time which would be hard to hide.
deepbluesea805
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Spider Spence » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:13 am

In my headcanon, dragonfire affects an elf differently than it does other creatures. I assumed that was a special dragonfire scar that Elvish healing couldn't fix.
Spider Spence
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Laurelin » Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:38 am

Aw, this scar is bothering me since I have watched the movie for the first time.. :D
I think, too, that the scar shows a wound he once received but which has healed. It might have been bad to fight in the war of the Last Alliance with reduced vision (or to drink as deepbluesea805 said).
Here it seems that soul and body are affected by each other. Maybe when Thorin spoke of the dragon Thranduil was reminded of his wound and the memory brought him pain and the image of the scar?
(Am I allowed to show the link? If not, please tell me!)

http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Fea_and_hroa

The only war in which dragons participated and Thranduil might have fought was the War of Wreath at the end of the First Age I think? Is it mentioned in the movie? That might fit..
But with or without the scar, Thranduil is my favourite character in The Hobbit. It is quite hard to follow the plot third film if you only watch him.. :D Good that I have read the book :)

I hope you are able to understand my English..feel free to correct me:)

Edited by a White Council Moderator
Last edited by White Shadow on Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: To correct a broken link.
Laurelin

Postby deepbluesea805 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:00 pm

I think Laurelin's idea makes most sense. Because again, were it only concealed his beloved wine would run out through the wound.
Plus given the amount of muscle tissue missing it should change his pronunciation and/or ability to speak.
But oh well, maybe I settle with movie universe unequal book universe.
deepbluesea805

Postby White Shadow » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:01 pm

Laurelin wrote:http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Fëa_and_hröa

(Why doesn't it work?)

It's because of the ë and the ö that you've got which aren't actually in the URL. I've fixed it for you. :)

~*~*~*~*~
White Shadow
White Council Moderator
White Shadow
Shield Bearer

Postby Laurelin » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:07 pm

White Shadow wrote:
Laurelin wrote:http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Fëa_and_hröa

(Why doesn't it work?)

It's because of the ë and the ö that you've got which aren't actually in the URL. I've fixed it for you. :)

~*~*~*~*~
White Shadow
White Council Moderator

Oh..thank you! :D
Laurelin

Postby stellrchef » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:24 pm

Well, it's been a while since this was posted. But, here's my take.

Thranduil is not a "good guy"...at least not as far as Peter Jackson is concerned (or Tolkien, for that matter). He's arrogant and selfish. But, because we've been showered with the good of the elves in LoTR, there has to be some explanation for their part in the war of the ring and why they're so all fired anxious for the ring to be destroyed.

True, Elrond encouraged Isildur to throw the ring into Mt. Doom. But the ring and those it controls, is in Middle Earth precisely because of the elves (well...and Aulë). Galadriel is serving penance for her part in that. So, I think this was Jackson's way of showing the darker side of the elves. That they "aren't all they seem to be". A great way to do that is to show the beauty of an elf, marred by stark reality (and, that he goes to great lengths to hide it).
stellrchef

Postby Billobob » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:45 pm

So, I think this was Jackson's way of showing the darker side of the elves. That they "aren't all they seem to be". A great way to do that is to show the beauty of an elf, marred by stark reality (and, that he goes to great lengths to hide it

Yeah that's good. There are plenty of Elven good guys but there are also hotshots, and isolationists, paranoids,etc. (Like Feanor, Celeimbor, and Thranduil) the elves in general are better than men but they made mistakes to they weren't gods.
Billobob
Ranger of the North

Previous

Return to Movies - The Hobbit