Your favorite caractere and why ?

The Hobbit is in production as 3 separate films, and will be released 1 year apart, with the first due December 2012. Head in to discuss your thoughts and reactions, and post any questions you might have about these films.

Your favorite caractere and why ?

Postby Rachel-Kili » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:50 am

Hi guys!
So what's your favorite caractere in The Hobbit? And why it's your favorite? =D
I prefer Kili because i love dwarves they're soooo funny and because he is an archer!!! =P
Rachel-Kili
Petitioner to the Council

Re: Your favorite caractere and why ?

Postby Adaminth The Grey » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:03 pm

Hi there,
hmmm... I love the PJ-films as I love the books and I tell you simply what I think without discussing the pros and cons... the problems and the freely interpretation of the books...
Killi and all the Dwarfs are not that party of dwarf guys I had in my head as I read the book but they are pretty cool. Good job ;o)
And my favorite....? Balin? Yes. Balin. Why? Because he incorporates the type of a very very old, experienced person of integrity, respectable, and honest. Really really great.
Adaminth The Grey
Shield Bearer

Postby original wombat » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:17 pm

Probably Smaug. In just a couple of pages Tolkien creates a unique and fascinating villain.
original wombat
Citizen of Imladris

Postby RyersonSonOfRyer » Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:05 am

Bilbo is definetly my favorite, i can relate to him so much. :)
I freaking love bilbo, especially in these movies. I just hope we get to see more of him in the EE of DOS
RyersonSonOfRyer
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Gungnir » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:42 am

Yes, Bilbo was almost invisible in DOS
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby Rachel-Kili » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:43 am

acctualy they are all super !!! but thanks for your replies!!
Rachel-Kili

Postby Elmtree » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:19 pm

I'm not wild about the movies, and the book is one of my favorites. I do think they cast an excellent Bilbo. Not the one I had in my head as I read but one that 'fits' the role really well. A shame he's not in the films much.

I really liked Bofur as well. I think overall PJ and crew did a good job giving the Dwarves distinctive personalities.
Elmtree
Not all those who wander aren't lost

Postby Connmhach » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:16 pm

In the Hobbit movies my favorites are Gandalf and Bofur. Gandalf because he's just great as always, sassy and cocky but also wise. Bofur because of his dialogue with Bilbo in the mouth of the orc cave on the pass.
He took Bilbo's (accidental) insult like a champ and responded in the most graceful and heartfelt way possible.
Connmhach

Postby MrsSmeagol » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:42 pm

Another one with a soft spot for Bofur but only because my husband bumped into James Nesbitt down our local garage, about a year before he was cast! (He has family in the next village to where I live so is a regular). :) As others say, the movies - love them or loathe them - have at least succeeded in giving each dwarf a distinct personality.

Bilbo too, of course. Can't imagine anyone but Martin Freeman in the role - never could, even before it was cast. But I also have a soft spot for Richard Armitage. Not a Yorkshireman but does an excellent Yorkshire accent and his ancestors, like mine, were weavers in the West Riding (from the surname I'm fairly sure which town they came from too...) Also because I mentioned him first in the casting thread aeons ago. :) I think Thorin is a fascinating character and one that is explored in a bit more depth in the films. To have a king who is corrupted/not purely 'good', is always an interesting concept.
MrsSmeagol
Shield Bearer

Postby Lalaith-Elerrina » Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:04 pm

Balin. He is so nice to Bilbo, and so freaking patient with Thorin, taking the place of a father figure, since Thorin's own father is gone, giving him wise, sage advice when someone else might be tempted to smack Thorin upside the head.
Lalaith-Elerrina
Ringbearer

Postby portia » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:25 pm

Gandalf, always Gandalf. Ever since I read the books, oh long years ago. . . .they used to be chizled on stone, right?
portia
Ringbearer

Postby Lalaith-Elerrina » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:00 pm

Another favorite character is Ori. He is such a cutie, and so sweet and polite.
Lalaith-Elerrina
Ringbearer

Postby MrsSmeagol » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:58 pm

Lalaith-Elerrina wrote:Another favorite character is Ori. He is such a cutie, and so sweet and polite.

Adam Brown is a real find isn't he? Saw a bit of his audition - when he originally auditioned for Bilbo. Adorable - you can see how he ended up being cast as Ori.
MrsSmeagol
Shield Bearer

Postby JuliaF » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:11 am

My favorite character Frodo Begins - He always wins and he is kind and innocent.
JuliaF

Postby Nerdanel » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:30 am

In The Hobbit movies? Thranduil. For me he stole the show. He has a lot of presence, and being really pretty too does no harm. Legolas is nowhere near as cool or interesting as Thranduil. Thranduil can act circles around Legolas. Thranduil is the best elf. Gandalf wasn't nearly as good in The Hobbit as he was in LotR, with overuse of green screen apparently to blame, possibly combined with bad PJ-original dialogue.
Nerdanel
Ranger of the North

Postby lotrjw » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:12 am

Nerdanel wrote:In The Hobbit movies? Thranduil. For me he stole the show. He has a lot of presence, and being really pretty too does no harm. Legolas is nowhere near as cool or interesting as Thranduil. Thranduil can act circles around Legolas. Thranduil is the best elf. Gandalf wasn't nearly as good in The Hobbit as he was in LotR, with overuse of green screen apparently to blame, possibly combined with bad PJ-original dialogue.

Blame the green screen on the fact they were 3D films, in LOTR they got away with forced perspective which is very decent for conventional films even today and shows as the LOTR fims still stand up very well!
lotrjw
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Billobob » Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:52 am

I'd say either Bard or Gandalf because if it weren't for them Bilbo and the dwarves probably would've died and also because they are both very purposes full and driven.
Billobob
Ranger of the North

Postby siddharth » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:42 am

I find it really odd that Freeman and Armitage's performances are so eerily close to how I imagined the characters were while I read the book the first time.
Of the other dwarves, Balin and Bofur are my favorites. And Bard was much more likable (for me) than in the books.

Smaug blows them all away though. :P
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby ezzra » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:09 pm

original wombat wrote:Probably Smaug. In just a couple of pages Tolkien creates a unique bottle of phen375 and fascinating villain.

Smaug is great in the book and also in the movie, I love the voice. I just like how smart and cunning he is.
Last edited by ezzra on Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
ezzra

Postby Leithea » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:44 am

I really liked Bilbo and I think the actor did a brilliant 'job' playing him and just big respect. Exactly how I would expect a hobbit to react, the mimics - gah!!!
I also really liked Radagast. :)
Leithea

Return to Movies - The Hobbit