The Hobbit Fan-Edit

The Hobbit is in production as 3 separate films, and will be released 1 year apart, with the first due December 2012. Head in to discuss your thoughts and reactions, and post any questions you might have about these films.

The Hobbit Fan-Edit

Postby RyersonSonOfRyer » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:21 am

Hello everyone, I am Ryerson. I like these new Hobbit movies a lot, but I do completely understand why a lot of people hate them. In fact, I share most of the negative views about these movies as well. I find them to be quite frustrating at times, and i feel they are too bloated and full of unnecessary sub-plots and fan-made things. So, what I did was that I made a fan-edit of the first hobbit movie and I tried to make it more like the book, yet still keeping the GOOD stuff that was in the movie but not in the book. Now, this is the first version of this edit, and i will probably make an improved version with better editing later on, so right now i would just like to know what you fellow Tolkienites think. If you would like to see my AUJ fan-edit, then please give me your gmail address down below and i will send the film to you via google drive. :)
Hope you enjoy, and in case you dont feel like watching, here is a list of all the changes I have made to the hobbit AUJ so it would become a more focused adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien's wonderful story:

-The movie starts with just bilbo saying "it began long ago"
- all the references to frodo in Bilbos narration has been cut
- Frodo is completely wiped from the entire film
- Instead of seeing Old Bilbo and Frodo talking, this happens: bilbo says "That, is where i come in....." And then he writes "in a hole in the ground, there lived a hobbit." And it immediately goes to the smoke ring going up into the sky while the hobbit them is played loudly, and gandalf comes in.
- the scene with Bilbo in hobbiton buying fish has been cut, it is like the theatrical edition.
- some of the extended fluff with Bilbo and the dwarves at the pantry has been cut.
- Thorin talking to Balin about honor and a willing heart has been cut, it just goes from Gandalf talking to Bilbo about his relative to the scene where the dwarves start singing "far over...."
- the scene where Gandalf talks about Radagast and the wizards in the rain has been cut.
- Radagast and his whole necromancer side story has been cut, he is completely gone from the entire film. This is so it is more closer to the way the book was.
- The scene were Thorin says "you know nothing of the world" cuts right after Balin says "Thorin has more cause than most to hate orcs..." and you get a five second clip of thorin just standing there with the breeze blowing, and it goes straight to the company arriving at the farmers ruined house where they camp for the night before the troll scene.
- of course that whole flashback with the battle of moria is completely cut. This makes Thorin seem less like the main character, giving Bilbo the respected amount of screen-time he deserves. It also gets rid of the whole Azog fluff which is unnecessary for the story. Azog is basically the orc that wants him dead at the end of the film.
- the warg chase never happens, same with radagast arriving. It just goes from bilbo recieving his dagger from Gandalf and Gandalfs advice to the company walking through the secret tunnel to Rivendell.
- it cuts from the dwarves walking down the hill to rivendell straight to elrond telling them about their swords.
- the fluff from the dwarves at dinner is removed, it just focues on Bilbo, throin, and Gandalfs conversation with Elrond.
- the dialogue about the orc attack on the Great East Road has been completely removed, it never happened.
- the scene with Azog and the orcs on weathertop is removed.
- the scene with the dwarves bathing in the fountains is removed.
- the scene with the white council discussion is completely removed. It just cuts right after Gandalf meets Lady Galadriel and Galadriel says "mithrandir..." It then goes straight to the dwarves leaving Rivendell, and you see galadriel talking to Gandalf
- the dialogue where Galadriel mentions the morgul blade has been removed. The movie proceeds as it originally was from there...
- some of the ridiculous fluff with the Stone Giants has been removed
- the scene where Azog and the orcs saying "they have taken the mountain pass" has been removed.
- some of the ridiculous fluff with the company falling down the goblin tunnel has been removed.
- the extended scene with the goblin king singing has been removed, because it was a terrible and cheesy adaptation of what happened in the book.
- some of the fluff with the goblins has been removed.
- the dialogue mentioning that Thorin and Azog have a past has been removed. Azog is just the orc that wants Thorins head, there is no "an old enemy of yours..."
- there is no back and forth between dwarves and bilbo.
- a lot of the action and head-slicing and drawn out fighting has been removed. The goblin escape scene happens A LOT quicker, and it is less ridiculous.
- When gandalf says "theres only one thing that can save us! Daylight!" It cuts dramatically straight to Bilbo waking up from his fall. All of the gollum scenes are the way they were, theyre just all connected together so it's more fluid
- some of the stuff with the wargs has been cut. It is much quicker, and Bilbo doesnt stab the warg in the head by accident, because that was ridiculous.
- all of the dialogue that gives hints to Thorin and Azog knowing each other has been cut. Azog is just the pale orc that wants Thorin and company dead, nothing more.
- some of the ridiculous stuff between Azog and Thorin has been cut.
- the scene with the thrush approaching Erebor and then you see smaugs eye open has been cut. This is because i plan on connecting all three of my hobbit fan-edits into one long hobbit movie thats like the book with a few exceptions.

Hope you all enjoy!! And dont forget to give me your gmail below!
Last edited by RyersonSonOfRyer on Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
RyersonSonOfRyer
Citizen of Imladris

Re: The Hobbit AUJ Fan-Edit

Postby Adaminth The Grey » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:11 pm

Oooooh yess!

Good idea! I would like to watch an alternate film like this. But the you should remove the "love story" between Killi and Tauriel as well. And the Taurielish heartbreaking past of Legoolas.... Ridiculous.

Anyway - I have not such a great problem with PJ's book-alterations, it's ... still nice. (and both Tauriel and Killi a very lovely) But a story that is very close to The Hobbit would be very very interesting to see.

Best wishes!
Adaminth The Grey
Shield Bearer

Postby RyersonSonOfRyer » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:51 pm

Adaminth The Grey wrote:Oooooh yess!

Good idea! I would like to watch an alternate film like this. But the you should remove the "love story" between Killi and Tauriel as well. And the Taurielish heartbreaking past of Legoolas.... Ridiculous.

Anyway - I have not such a great problem with PJ's book-alterations, it's ... still nice. (and both Tauriel and Killi a very lovely) But a story that is very close to The Hobbit would be very very interesting to see.

Best wishes!

Dude i have already made the fan-edit for the first film XD
If you want to see the fan-edit then just give me your gmail and i will send it to you via google drive.
I havent made a DOS edit yet, but i will
RyersonSonOfRyer
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Lysandros » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:13 am

Ryerson was kind enough to send me his edit of AUJ and I have to say it makes the movie much more watchable, especially for people put off by Jackson's ample insertion on non-book material (though I did not mind the Radagast stuff at all). I was really surprised at the difference it made. The movie is now a tolerable length with almost no cringe-worthy moments or eyeball rolling (well, the final line of the Goblin King still makes me say "Ugh" out loud). Some of the cuts are unavoidably rough but again, it is surprising how the movie does JUST fine as a coherent and well-paced flick when you take out so much of it. This FEELS far closer to The Hobbit and any fan should take a look and I would watch this version again long before firing up the theatrical version (never wasted my time on the EE).

Get in touch with Ryerson and check it out! Can't wait for DoS.
Lysandros
Ranger of the North

Postby RyersonSonOfRyer » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:21 pm

Lysandros wrote:Ryerson was kind enough to send me his edit of AUJ and I have to say it makes the movie much more watchable, especially for people put off by Jackson's ample insertion on non-book material (though I did not mind the Radagast stuff at all). I was really surprised at the difference it made. The movie is now a tolerable length with almost no cringe-worthy moments or eyeball rolling (well, the final line of the Goblin King still makes me say "Ugh" out loud). Some of the cuts are unavoidably rough but again, it is surprising how the movie does JUST fine as a coherent and well-paced flick when you take out so much of it. This FEELS far closer to The Hobbit and any fan should take a look and I would watch this version again long before firing up the theatrical version (never wasted my time on the EE).

Get in touch with Ryerson and check it out! Can't wait for DoS.

Thanks man, that means a lot :)
And i will send you my improved version once im done with it.
And i will also send you my DoS edit once i make that as well, but DoS wont happen until the EE comes out :D
RyersonSonOfRyer
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Gungnir » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:40 am

I would also be interested to see the AUJ edit (and very interested to see the DOS edit, which I imagine would be in the region of 25 minutes long :) )

timmcnulty1965@gmail.com
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby RyersonSonOfRyer » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:26 pm

Gungnir wrote:I would also be interested to see the AUJ edit (and very interested to see the DOS edit, which I imagine would be in the region of 25 minutes long :) )

timmcnulty1965@gmail.com

Wonderful!! :)
I have just sent it to you via google drive! :) after watching make sure to come back here and comment on what you think of it, because i would be very interested to hear your feedback.
RyersonSonOfRyer
Citizen of Imladris

Postby AlatarVinyamar » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:44 am

I'd love to see it also. Alatarvinyamar@gmail.com

Thanks!
AlatarVinyamar
Ranger of the North

Postby RyersonSonOfRyer » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:22 am

AlatarVinyamar wrote:I'd love to see it also. Alatarvinyamar@gmail.com

Thanks!

No problem!! I have just sent it to you! :)
Please make sure to come back here to comment on what you thought of the fan-edit. :)
RyersonSonOfRyer
Citizen of Imladris

Postby BerenVonRictoffen » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:24 pm

RyersonSonOfRyer wrote:
AlatarVinyamar wrote:I'd love to see it also. Alatarvinyamar@gmail.com

Thanks!

No problem!! I have just sent it to you! :)
Please make sure to come back here to comment on what you thought of the fan-edit. :)

kensonburner@gmail.com
BerenVonRictoffen
Shield Bearer

Postby Gungnir » Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:26 pm

Sorry I haven't got back to you sooner Ryerson but I've only just had a chance to watch it. And I liked it. Still too much Azog at the end for my liking though, that last confrontation could still do with losing about 5 minutes.
But, overall, very good work. I look forward to seeing what you can salvage from the Desolation of Smaug. Thanks again!
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby RyersonSonOfRyer » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:08 pm

Gungnir wrote:Sorry I haven't got back to you sooner Ryerson but I've only just had a chance to watch it. And I liked it. Still too much Azog at the end for my liking though, that last confrontation could still do with losing about 5 minutes.
But, overall, very good work. I look forward to seeing what you can salvage from the Desolation of Smaug. Thanks again!

Thank you for watching! :)
And i see what you mean, and i will get rid of the azog encounter at the end when i tie my DOS fan edit with the AUJ edit, but i havent made my DOS fan edit yet. I plan on connecting all of the movies together so it will be awesome. With the extended scenes from dos it will be a major improvement
RyersonSonOfRyer
Citizen of Imladris

Postby siddharth » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:45 am

There are some exclusions which I (as of yet) don't agree with, but I'm quite interested to see it!

My mail is: smeagol.bagginsess@gmail.com

Thanks.
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby RyersonSonOfRyer » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:52 am

siddharth wrote:There are some exclusions which I (as of yet) don't agree with, but I'm quite interested to see it!

My mail is: smeagol.bagginsess@gmail.com

Thanks.

I have just sent it, enjoy! :)
Make sure to tell me what you thought about it
RyersonSonOfRyer
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Lysandros » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:01 am

Ryerson - after you are done DoS, to kill time maybe give the LOTR movies the same treatment. :wink:
Lysandros
Ranger of the North

Postby AlatarVinyamar » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:23 am

There are already several Fan Edits of LotR. My favourites are the Red Book Edits by Kerr. Split into 6 movies, one for each "book" of LotR, they aim to be as close as possible to the source material, even using some clever editing to change the plotting so that, for example, the Ents say yes! :)
AlatarVinyamar
Ranger of the North

Postby portia » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:38 pm

I am impressed by the effort this would take. I would love to see it.

Portia1972@earthlink.net

I just recently saw, online a re-edit of the BoFA trailers to something like chronological order. There is a lot of extra stuff in that too.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby priell3 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:10 pm

priell3
Shield Bearer

Postby priell3 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:10 pm

priell3
Shield Bearer

Postby RyersonSonOfRyer » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:12 pm

Hey guys, I have made a rough version of my Desolation of Smaug edit. Would you guys like to see it???
RyersonSonOfRyer
Citizen of Imladris

Postby RyersonSonOfRyer » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:26 pm

I don't find editing the Lord of the Rings movies to be very useful because I think they are perfect as they are. of course they aren't exactly true to the book, but they FEEL like the book and they RESPECT the book. The Hobbit films, not so much, which is why they need hardcore editing done.
The purpose for me watching these movies is to watch a great ADAPTATION, becuase if I wanted to experience the book then I would read the book lol. I see the Lord of the Rings as perfect adaptations, the hobbit films aren't.
RyersonSonOfRyer
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Gungnir » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:42 pm

RyersonSonOfRyer wrote:Hey guys, I have made a rough version of my Desolation of Smaug edit. Would you guys like to see it???

Does Beorn defecate in the woods?
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby RyersonSonOfRyer » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:08 pm

Gungnir wrote:
RyersonSonOfRyer wrote:Hey guys, I have made a rough version of my Desolation of Smaug edit. Would you guys like to see it???

Does Beorn defecate in the woods?

Excuse me?!
No.
RyersonSonOfRyer
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Voronwe_the_Faithful » Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:44 am

He was just saying "of course I want to see the DoS edit, how could there be any question?" I'm not sure if English is your first language, but a common saying in English when something is obviously true is "does a bear sh*t in the woods?" That is what he was referring to. He wasn't asking whether you had edited in a Beorn defecation scene. ;)
Voronwe_the_Faithful
Mariner

Postby RyersonSonOfRyer » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:29 am

Voronwe_the_Faithful wrote:He was just saying "of course I want to see the DoS edit, how could there be any question?" I'm not sure if English is your first language, but a common saying in English when something is obviously true is "does a bear sh*t in the woods?" That is what he was referring to. He wasn't asking whether you had edited in a Beorn defecation scene. ;)

Ohhh..... XD
Well, would you like to see it???? Just give me your gmail :)
RyersonSonOfRyer
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Gungnir » Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:17 am

Sorry, yes I should have been clearer. Of course I want to see it! :)
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby Lalaith-Elerrina » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:44 pm

Gungnir wrote:I would also be interested to see the AUJ edit (and very interested to see the DOS edit, which I imagine would be in the region of 25 minutes long :) )

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Sorry, I read that, and just had to comment. That is so true. Desolation of Smaug is so off from the book, that saying an edit that is reasonably true to the book would be 25 minutes long is not an exaggeration, and possibly too generous. ;)
Lalaith-Elerrina
Ringbearer

Postby RyersonSonOfRyer » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:57 pm

Fellow Tolkienites, if you would love to watch my DOS edit (which is approximately an hour and a half long) then please give me your gmail.
Beware though, it is only my rough draft, i am working on the final copy (color correction, polishing etc).
RyersonSonOfRyer
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Voronwe_the_Faithful » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:04 pm

RyersonSonOfRyer wrote:
Voronwe_the_Faithful wrote:He was just saying "of course I want to see the DoS edit, how could there be any question?" I'm not sure if English is your first language, but a common saying in English when something is obviously true is "does a bear sh*t in the woods?" That is what he was referring to. He wasn't asking whether you had edited in a Beorn defecation scene. ;)

Ohhh..... XD
Well, would you like to see it???? Just give me your gmail :)

Me? No thanks. I appreciate the offer, but I'm not a big fan of fan edits, and despite some niggles, I am fairly happy with DoS, particularly the extended version.
Last edited by Voronwe_the_Faithful on Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Voronwe_the_Faithful
Mariner

Postby Gungnir » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:54 am

RyersonSonOfRyer wrote:Fellow Tolkienites, if you would love to watch my DOS edit (which is approximately an hour and a half long) then please give me your gmail.
Beware though, it is only my rough draft, i am working on the final copy (color correction, polishing etc).

timmcnulty1965@gmail.com
:thumbsup:
Gungnir
Mariner

Next

Return to Movies - The Hobbit