The Hobbit Fan-Edit

The Hobbit is in production as 3 separate films, and will be released 1 year apart, with the first due December 2012. Head in to discuss your thoughts and reactions, and post any questions you might have about these films.

Re: The Hobbit AUJ Fan-Edit

Postby AlatarVinyamar » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:57 pm

I'll bite! even though I still haven't had a chance to check out your AUJ edit yet!

Alatarvinyamar@gmail.com
AlatarVinyamar
Ranger of the North

Postby Gungnir » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:14 pm

OK, I have just finished watching the edit of TH:DOS. It is a bit rough around the edges (and I realise that this is because it is unfinished) but it is absolutely excellent. Really good. It has taken out the fat and silliness and invented nonsense and turned it into a very watchable film indeed which, as a bonus, is also pretty close to the book. The Theatrical version was almost unwatchable to me - I've sat through it 4 times - but this is brilliant.

I cannot thank you enough Ryerson. I love it. :clap:
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby siddharth » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:47 pm

I'll be free soon of my work and will finally have a chance to see both the cuts.
So

smeagol.bagginsess@gmail.com

if you please! :)
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby RyersonSonOfRyer » Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:33 pm

siddharth wrote:I'll be free soon of my work and will finally have a chance to see both the cuts.
So

smeagol.bagginsess@gmail.com

if you please! :)

Hello!! I have sent both to you, I hope you enjoy them. The DOS cut is a rough draft FYI.
RyersonSonOfRyer
Citizen of Imladris

Postby portia » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:11 am

Thank you. I have received your edit, but have not cleared out enough time to look. Since I was only marginally happy with DoS, It will be interesting.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby priell3 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:22 pm

Thanks for the edits.

I haven't had a chance to watch them yet.
priell3
Shield Bearer

Postby RyersonSonOfRyer » Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:59 pm

Just finished watching both of my hobbit fan edits.
all I have to say is, HOLY pickle jars!!!!!!!!!!! SOOOOOOOO MUCH BETTER THAN THE THEATRICAL RELEASE!!!!! They are VERY VERY watchable now!!!!!
I am a bloody genius when it comes to fan-edits, I have turned something that was extremely bloated and filled with nonsense and turned it into a well-paced, very interesting, very close to the book, amazing adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit. It is fabulous. Sure they both could use a little fine-tuning in terms of editing, but holy crap, they are soooooo good. It felt like I was watching the book come to life, for the most part.
RyersonSonOfRyer
Citizen of Imladris

Postby lotrjw » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:58 am

Hi I have the first two hobbit films extended editions and would like to see the fan edits the op has made please?

Email address: lotr@jandcwoods.co.uk

I would also like to be pointed in the direction of where I could obtain the fan edits of the lord of the rings films please? ( which I also own the originals of course!)
lotrjw
Citizen of Imladris

Postby lotrjw » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:33 pm

I have made a start on watching them both (AUJ and DoS edits) they look good. I have a question regarding the first one though, is there a reason why you set the resolution in 1920x800? the reason I ask is my bluray player just stretched it over the screen instead of adding the black bars back in! on the PC it plays right though so I guess its just my player that cant work that out ok! Unless you can flag the video file?
Also for the second one my player decided that it wouldnt track it beyond 52 seconds although it still plays ok, it just cant be fast forwarded or rewound, Im guessing this is to do with it being a 'rough edit' as you put it.
Ether way I am happy though as I dont have the equipment to do this myself, even though I have the movie, although I probably could with the right equipment.
lotrjw
Citizen of Imladris

Postby lotrjw » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:01 pm

Ok ive now watched both all the way though and they both look good. I see now why Galadriel had to stay in else Gandalf's absence while Bilbo and the dwarfs leaving Rivendell would have looked odd, but you have edited it very well.
Thorin's backstory should have a place somewhere although you were right about it not being where Peter Jackson put it!
I think it would ether go in where Thorin fights Azog before they get rescued by the Eagles, or it would have to be in the last part somewhere, or even slotted into a fan edit of Lord of the Rings if it would fit. I do get why you cut it but I feel it's a waste if its never used!

Film 2 I liked all the cuts even if it was a little rough like you say. The discarded Lord of the Rings back story should be slotted into the Rivendell scenes in Fellowship of the Ring somewhere, so as not to waste it!
It would be great if all the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings films could be used together somehow but that would be a lot of work!
lotrjw
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Gungnir » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:44 am

lotrjw wrote:Also for the second one my player decided that it wouldnt track it beyond 52 seconds although it still plays ok, it just cant be fast forwarded or rewound, Im guessing this is to do with it being a 'rough edit' as you put it..

Yes, I normally play films through my PS3 and it had a similar problem with the file - it got to about a minute in and then froze. I had to connect my PC up to the TV and play it with VLC as some other players wouldn't play it properly.

Also the sound levels were a little low. Otherwise it was great. :)
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby lotrjw » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:34 am

Gungnir wrote:
lotrjw wrote:Also for the second one my player decided that it wouldnt track it beyond 52 seconds although it still plays ok, it just cant be fast forwarded or rewound, Im guessing this is to do with it being a 'rough edit' as you put it..

Yes, I normally play films through my PS3 and it had a similar problem with the file - it got to about a minute in and then froze. I had to connect my PC up to the TV and play it with VLC as some other players wouldn't play it properly.

Also the sound levels were a little low. Otherwise it was great. :)

Well my BluRay player still played the 2nd one to the end just the time code bit got stuck I could pause it but if I fast forwarded it lost the sound and rewinding stopped the whole thing and I had to start over! I had to play the first one though a pc connected via HDMI, but it played on media player alright. Where the file is 1920x802 my BluRay played it, but couldn't understand that it needed to add the vertical lines back in, as it needed to have the two black bars 139 lines each top and bottom of the picture and it didn't, it just stretched it out full night of the screen! (I'm a stickler for things being in the correct aspect ratio and not cropped or stretched after its originally made!)

Oh and I agree about the sound levels but that's likely because it is a 2.0 track not full 5.1 but that's likely a limitation of the editing software I'm guessing anyway.
lotrjw
Citizen of Imladris

Postby RyersonSonOfRyer » Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:14 am

Has anyone else seen my fan edits?????????
RyersonSonOfRyer
Citizen of Imladris

Postby atyarwen » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:45 am

Not yet, but I would love to watch them. Can you send me?

angetradutora@gmail.com
atyarwen
Petitioner to the Council

Postby RyersonSonOfRyer » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:54 am

atyarwen wrote:Not yet, but I would love to watch them. Can you send me?

angetradutora@gmail.com

I have just sent them both to you. Please enjoy, they are much closer to the book :)
RyersonSonOfRyer
Citizen of Imladris

Postby atyarwen » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:28 pm

RyersonSonOfRyer wrote:I have just sent them both to you. Please enjoy, they are much closer to the book :)

Thanks a lot. I chose to watch DOS first (lol), it was perfect. Much more enjoyable than the PJ movie. :)
atyarwen

Postby RyersonSonOfRyer » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:27 pm

atyarwen wrote:
RyersonSonOfRyer wrote:I have just sent them both to you. Please enjoy, they are much closer to the book :)

Thanks a lot. I chose to watch DOS first (lol), it was perfect. Much more enjoyable than the PJ movie. :)

Thank you!! What changes/additions did you like and what didn't you like??????
RyersonSonOfRyer
Citizen of Imladris

Postby heliona » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:18 am

Ryerson, I've heard good things about your fan-edits. Would you mind sending them to me?

heliona -at- gmail -dot- com

Thank you. :)
Image<-- Sir Gwaine representing the letter "G" in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby RyersonSonOfRyer » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:33 am

heliona wrote:Ryerson, I've heard good things about your fan-edits. Would you mind sending them to me?

heliona -at- gmail -dot- com

Thank you. :)

No problem!! Just make sure to write back here what you thought of them: liked/disliked and if it improved on the theatrical versions.
RyersonSonOfRyer
Citizen of Imladris

Postby heliona » Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:02 pm

Got them. Thank you. :) I certainly will return with my thoughts, although I'm afraid it might be some time, what with Christmas fast approaching. And I'd like to see the Extended Edition of DoS first. :)
Image<-- Sir Gwaine representing the letter "G" in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby Spider Spence » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:29 am

Hi! I found this while I was trying to find a fan edit of the movies I could watch with my seven-year-old daughter. I would love to see both of your edits. I would be glad to give you feedback. (Feel free to email first for ID info if you want confirmation that I am not a bot/other sinister thing.)

sprunkner - at - gmail - dot - com
Last edited by Spider Spence on Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spider Spence
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Corleonetone » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:03 am

RyersonSonOfRyer wrote:
Hope you all enjoy!! And dont forget to give me your gmail below!

hi, i'd like the fan edit

plrfcb@gmail.com
Corleonetone

Postby RyersonSonOfRyer » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:59 pm

Spider Spence wrote:Hi! I found this while I was trying to find a fan edit of the movies I could watch with my seven-year-old daughter. I would love to see both of your edits. I would be glad to give you feedback. (Feel free to email first for ID info if you want confirmation that I am not a bot/other sinister thing.)

sprunkner - at - gmail - dot - com

No problem man, I just sent the fan edits!! I hope you and your daughter enjoy them, they are less convoluted and they stick to Bilbo and the story of "the hobbit" a lot more. The editing can be a little rough, but I will improve that in good time.
RyersonSonOfRyer
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Spider Spence » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:45 pm

Just finished AUJ. What a great holiday treat. I really enjoyed it, man, and it felt like a movie about BILBO, not about every little thing the filmmakers could cram in there. The Galadriel edit was the only one that felt like a genuine sudden cut, and that was unavoidable. The absence of Radagast and co is marvelous and completely seamless.

The only teeny crit I have is that if you make another pass, Bag End and the intro could lose a little more weight, IMHO, to get us closer to the action. But really, this was all I could have asked for Christmas.
Spider Spence
Citizen of Imladris

Postby RyersonSonOfRyer » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:23 am

Spider Spence wrote:Just finished AUJ. What a great holiday treat. I really enjoyed it, man, and it felt like a movie about BILBO, not about every little thing the filmmakers could cram in there. The Galadriel edit was the only one that felt like a genuine sudden cut, and that was unavoidable. The absence of Radagast and co is marvelous and completely seamless.

The only teeny crit I have is that if you make another pass, Bag End and the intro could lose a little more weight, IMHO, to get us closer to the action. But really, this was all I could have asked for Christmas.

Thank you!!! I am very glad you enjoyed it!!
I had to keep Galadriel because that's the reason why Gandalf didn't leave with the dwarves, it would have been confusing if I cut those scenes. And also the Galadriel part gives us a very emotional moment when Gandalf talks about THE HOBBIT BILBO :)
I didn't shorten the Bag End section because I thought it was perfect the way it was. My goal was to cut everything that didn't belong in the hobbit story from the book. Bag End is a great introduction to Bilbo's character, and it feels straight from the book.

Thanks for giving me feedback, I love it!! Don't forget to watch my Desolation of Smaug edit that I sent you as well!! A LOT was cut from that to make it more like the book.
RyersonSonOfRyer
Citizen of Imladris

Postby RyersonSonOfRyer » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:24 am

And Merry Christmas!!
RyersonSonOfRyer
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Spider Spence » Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:22 pm

Got a chance to watch DoS over the holiday. Once again, a real treat. Everything straight from the book, and no fluff, and a really nice focus on Bilbo. The barrels are a bit choppy, and I think the transition through Bilbo-Smaug-Bard-Bilbo-Smaug still needs a little bit of refining, although you really did a great job given what you had and the requirements (keeping Fili out of the Bard snippet was always going to be really tough; ditto piecing together the Smaug final).

Crazily enough, I didn't mind the Dol Guldur stuff too badly, as it gave an explanation for where Gandalf went and what he was doing, though it was totally drawn out.

Seriously made for a great holiday. I'm just sad I have to wait for the edit of Bo5A.

For some reason the file download was buggy; I couldn't watch more than about 5 minutes without it going dark. i watched it just fine on Google Drive, though. Have you had this reaction from anyone else?
Spider Spence
Citizen of Imladris

Postby RyersonSonOfRyer » Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:48 pm

Spider Spence wrote:Got a chance to watch DoS over the holiday. Once again, a real treat. Everything straight from the book, and no fluff, and a really nice focus on Bilbo. The barrels are a bit choppy, and I think the transition through Bilbo-Smaug-Bard-Bilbo-Smaug still needs a little bit of refining, although you really did a great job given what you had and the requirements (keeping Fili out of the Bard snippet was always going to be really tough; ditto piecing together the Smaug final).

Crazily enough, I didn't mind the Dol Guldur stuff too badly, as it gave an explanation for where Gandalf went and what he was doing, though it was totally drawn out.

Seriously made for a great holiday. I'm just sad I have to wait for the edit of Bo5A.

For some reason the file download was buggy; I couldn't watch more than about 5 minutes without it going dark. i watched it just fine on Google Drive, though. Have you had this reaction from anyone else?

Thanks for the feedback, I'm glad you enjoyed it!!!
And yes, I have had that reaction from others as well. I don't know how to fix it, I just watch it straight on google drive :/
RyersonSonOfRyer
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Lalaith-Elerrina » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:50 am

Anything closer to the book, I'm game.

Edit: I got them! Thanks!
Lalaith-Elerrina
Ringbearer

Postby RyersonSonOfRyer » Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:17 pm

Lalaith-Elerrina wrote:Anything closer to the book, I'm game.

Edit: I got them! Thanks!

Have you seen both of them yet???
RyersonSonOfRyer
Citizen of Imladris

PreviousNext

Return to Movies - The Hobbit