The Hobbit Fan-Edit

The Hobbit is in production as 3 separate films, and will be released 1 year apart, with the first due December 2012. Head in to discuss your thoughts and reactions, and post any questions you might have about these films.

Re: The Hobbit AUJ Fan-Edit

Postby Lalaith-Elerrina » Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:22 pm

I've started watching AUJ. I like it so far!
User avatar
Lalaith-Elerrina
Ringbearer

 
Posts: 13653
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2003 7:46 pm
Location: Over there!
Top

Re: The Hobbit AUJ Fan-Edit

Postby RyersonSonOfRyer » Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:17 pm

Lalaith-Elerrina wrote:I've started watching AUJ. I like it so far!

Splendid!! :D
User avatar
RyersonSonOfRyer
Citizen of Imladris
 
Posts: 85
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:10 pm
Top

Re: The Hobbit AUJ Fan-Edit

Postby Spider Spence » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:24 pm

Ryerson, I sent you an access request from an email that I use more often but I didn't want to post publicly, if you don't mind adding it.
Spider Spence
Citizen of Imladris
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:27 am
Top

Re: The Hobbit AUJ Fan-Edit

Postby RyersonSonOfRyer » Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:07 am

Lalaith-Elerrina wrote:I've started watching AUJ. I like it so far!

Have you seen them both by now?? What do you think??
User avatar
RyersonSonOfRyer
Citizen of Imladris
 
Posts: 85
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:10 pm
Top

Re: The Hobbit AUJ Fan-Edit

Postby Lalaith-Elerrina » Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:42 pm

Yes, I've seen them both, and they are awesome! I look forward to what you will do with the third movie. I hadn't seen either of the EEs yet of the first two movies, and I liked the parts that weren't in the Theatrical Editions, and I liked how you excluded a lot of stuff. I enjoyed the way Gandalf introduced the dwarves to Beorn, similar to the way he did it in the book. All in all, I really appreciate what you did. You did great!
User avatar
Lalaith-Elerrina
Ringbearer

 
Posts: 13653
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2003 7:46 pm
Location: Over there!
Top

Re: The Hobbit AUJ Fan-Edit

Postby RyersonSonOfRyer » Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:52 pm

Lalaith-Elerrina wrote:Yes, I've seen them both, and they are awesome! I look forward to what you will do with the third movie. I hadn't seen either of the EEs yet of the first two movies, and I liked the parts that weren't in the Theatrical Editions, and I liked how you excluded a lot of stuff. I enjoyed the way Gandalf introduced the dwarves to Beorn, similar to the way he did it in the book. All in all, I really appreciate what you did. You did great!

Thank you!! Right now I am working on improved versions for both my fan edits. So far I have cut 13 minutes from my first hobbit edit, so it's only 1:47 hours long. They will be in better quality as well.
User avatar
RyersonSonOfRyer
Citizen of Imladris
 
Posts: 85
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:10 pm
Top

Re: The Hobbit AUJ Fan-Edit

Postby lotrjw » Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:12 pm

RyersonSonOfRyer wrote:
Lalaith-Elerrina wrote:Yes, I've seen them both, and they are awesome! I look forward to what you will do with the third movie. I hadn't seen either of the EEs yet of the first two movies, and I liked the parts that weren't in the Theatrical Editions, and I liked how you excluded a lot of stuff. I enjoyed the way Gandalf introduced the dwarves to Beorn, similar to the way he did it in the book. All in all, I really appreciate what you did. You did great!

Thank you!! Right now I am working on improved versions for both my fan edits. So far I have cut 13 minutes from my first hobbit edit, so it's only 1:47 hours long. They will be in better quality as well.


Why not join them while your at it, as cutting time like you say will likely make it about 3 hours altogether with both the first two films. Oh and I know this would be adding content but why not try putting the 'concerning hobbits' section from the Fellowship in at the beginning? I feel it would go well there as it introduces hobbits within the Hobbit film then!
lotrjw
Citizen of Imladris
 
Posts: 71
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:33 am
Top

Re: The Hobbit AUJ Fan-Edit

Postby Gungnir » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:12 am

lotrjw wrote: Oh and I know this would be adding content but why not try putting the 'concerning hobbits' section from the Fellowship in at the beginning? I feel it would go well there as it introduces hobbits within the Hobbit film then!


No, it doesn't need it. And that was the only extended scene in LotR that I thought was not as good as the theatrical version.
User avatar
Gungnir
Mariner

 
Posts: 6137
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2000 7:05 am
Location: Isle of Man
Top

Re: The Hobbit AUJ Fan-Edit

Postby Lalaith-Elerrina » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:55 am

RyersonSonOfRyer wrote:
Lalaith-Elerrina wrote:Yes, I've seen them both, and they are awesome! I look forward to what you will do with the third movie. I hadn't seen either of the EEs yet of the first two movies, and I liked the parts that weren't in the Theatrical Editions, and I liked how you excluded a lot of stuff. I enjoyed the way Gandalf introduced the dwarves to Beorn, similar to the way he did it in the book. All in all, I really appreciate what you did. You did great!

Thank you!! Right now I am working on improved versions for both my fan edits. So far I have cut 13 minutes from my first hobbit edit, so it's only 1:47 hours long. They will be in better quality as well.


Awesome!
User avatar
Lalaith-Elerrina
Ringbearer

 
Posts: 13653
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2003 7:46 pm
Location: Over there!
Top

Re: The Hobbit AUJ Fan-Edit

Postby lotrjw » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:08 am

Gungnir wrote:
lotrjw wrote: Oh and I know this would be adding content but why not try putting the 'concerning hobbits' section from the Fellowship in at the beginning? I feel it would go well there as it introduces hobbits within the Hobbit film then!


No, it doesn't need it. And that was the only extended scene in LotR that I thought was not as good as the theatrical version.


I guess that is a matter of opinion! I feel it could work as an introduction to the Hobbit more than LotR as the Hobbit film is (or should be) about Bilbo who of course is a hobbit! Do you feel it didnt work in the LotR film or just not at all?
lotrjw
Citizen of Imladris
 
Posts: 71
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:33 am
Top

Re: The Hobbit AUJ Fan-Edit

Postby Gungnir » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:45 am

lotrjw wrote:I guess that is a matter of opinion! I feel it could work as an introduction to the Hobbit more than LotR as the Hobbit film is (or should be) about Bilbo who of course is a hobbit! Do you feel it didnt work in the LotR film or just not at all?


I didn't like the extended version of that scene as much as the theatrical version of that scene. It worked ok. I just feel that it is unnecessary. And also you would have hobbits (e.g. Sam) appearing in it and then popping up in LotR 60 years later unless there was some clever editing. The film works fine without it.
User avatar
Gungnir
Mariner

 
Posts: 6137
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2000 7:05 am
Location: Isle of Man
Top

Re: The Hobbit AUJ Fan-Edit

Postby lotrjw » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:57 am

Gungnir wrote:
lotrjw wrote:I guess that is a matter of opinion! I feel it could work as an introduction to the Hobbit more than LotR as the Hobbit film is (or should be) about Bilbo who of course is a hobbit! Do you feel it didnt work in the LotR film or just not at all?


I didn't like the extended version of that scene as much as the theatrical version of that scene. It worked ok. I just feel that it is unnecessary. And also you would have hobbits (e.g. Sam) appearing in it and then popping up in LotR 60 years later unless there was some clever editing. The film works fine without it.


yes you would need clever editing to make it work of course Im not saying you can cut and paste the scene as is, but it would fit better in the Hobbit than LotR Fellowship!
lotrjw
Citizen of Imladris
 
Posts: 71
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:33 am
Top

Re: The Hobbit AUJ Fan-Edit

Postby RyersonSonOfRyer » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:49 pm

Adding in the intro scene "concerning hobbits" won't help at all. It works well in FOTR because LOTR contains many hobbit characters that are different. THE HOBBIT is only about Bilbo, so there's no need to add that scene into THE HOBBIT.
Also, "concerning hobbits" scene is from the Fellowship of the Ring book, somewhere in the prologue, and it works very well in the film.
User avatar
RyersonSonOfRyer
Citizen of Imladris
 
Posts: 85
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:10 pm
Top

Re: The Hobbit AUJ Fan-Edit

Postby Lalaith-Elerrina » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:56 am

For myself, I am excited to see what you do with BoFA. What you did with the first two, I absolutely liked because while it cut out quite a bit, it still told the story wonderfully well. It was more like what I imagined The Hobbit would be after LoTR, when I believed that it would be made into only one movie with not too many deviations from the book.
User avatar
Lalaith-Elerrina
Ringbearer

 
Posts: 13653
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2003 7:46 pm
Location: Over there!
Top

Re: The Hobbit AUJ Fan-Edit

Postby lotrjw » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:08 am

RyersonSonOfRyer wrote:Adding in the intro scene "concerning hobbits" won't help at all. It works well in FOTR because LOTR contains many hobbit characters that are different. THE HOBBIT is only about Bilbo, so there's no need to add that scene into THE HOBBIT.
Also, "concerning hobbits" scene is from the Fellowship of the Ring book, somewhere in the prologue, and it works very well in the film.


OK fare enough but it would still be good if you joined your first two edits to one file, as Im sure you said you wanted to join everything together later anyway?
lotrjw
Citizen of Imladris
 
Posts: 71
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:33 am
Top

Re: The Hobbit AUJ Fan-Edit

Postby RyersonSonOfRyer » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:22 pm

lotrjw wrote:
RyersonSonOfRyer wrote:Adding in the intro scene "concerning hobbits" won't help at all. It works well in FOTR because LOTR contains many hobbit characters that are different. THE HOBBIT is only about Bilbo, so there's no need to add that scene into THE HOBBIT.
Also, "concerning hobbits" scene is from the Fellowship of the Ring book, somewhere in the prologue, and it works very well in the film.


OK fare enough but it would still be good if you joined your first two edits to one file, as Im sure you said you wanted to join everything together later anyway?

Yes I did say that, but the problem is that it would take over a day to export and video files that are larger than 4gb usually become corrupt, and it don't plan on lowering the bit rate and quality.
User avatar
RyersonSonOfRyer
Citizen of Imladris
 
Posts: 85
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:10 pm
Top

Re: The Hobbit AUJ Fan-Edit

Postby lotrjw » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:27 pm

RyersonSonOfRyer wrote:
lotrjw wrote:
RyersonSonOfRyer wrote:Adding in the intro scene "concerning hobbits" won't help at all. It works well in FOTR because LOTR contains many hobbit characters that are different. THE HOBBIT is only about Bilbo, so there's no need to add that scene into THE HOBBIT.
Also, "concerning hobbits" scene is from the Fellowship of the Ring book, somewhere in the prologue, and it works very well in the film.


OK fare enough but it would still be good if you joined your first two edits to one file, as Im sure you said you wanted to join everything together later anyway?

Yes I did say that, but the problem is that it would take over a day to export and video files that are larger than 4gb usually become corrupt, and it don't plan on lowering the bit rate and quality.


OK no worries then, I suppose once you have BotFA to work on you could join them together then find a halfway point, as the whole thing in 2 parts would surely equal less than 4GB each?
lotrjw
Citizen of Imladris
 
Posts: 71
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:33 am
Top

Re: The Hobbit AUJ Fan-Edit

Postby Spider Spence » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:13 pm

I watched them with my brother, who is even more of a Tolkien purist, and he would like to electronically shake your hand, sir. Says he's been waiting for this version ever since he walked out of Unexpected Journey.

Are you having any luck massaging the barrel sequence and the Smaug sequence? I wondered whether that fade you used to avoid Fili's leg wound could be useful. Obviously those two are really hard. My brother noticed a lot more edits because he had just watched DoS a week ago, and he was just amazed at how seamless most of the cuts were.
Spider Spence
Citizen of Imladris
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:27 am
Top

Re: The Hobbit AUJ Fan-Edit

Postby LadyElbereth » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:15 am

Hi Ryerson,
Your fan edits seem to be generating many favourable comments, so congratulations! - could you kindly considering sending me a copy? Many thanks. :)

ladyelbereth4@gmail.com
User avatar
LadyElbereth
Shield Bearer

 
Posts: 345
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:40 am
Top

Re: The Hobbit AUJ Fan-Edit

Postby RyersonSonOfRyer » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:24 am

Spider Spence wrote:I watched them with my brother, who is even more of a Tolkien purist, and he would like to electronically shake your hand, sir. Says he's been waiting for this version ever since he walked out of Unexpected Journey.

Are you having any luck massaging the barrel sequence and the Smaug sequence? I wondered whether that fade you used to avoid Fili's leg wound could be useful. Obviously those two are really hard. My brother noticed a lot more edits because he had just watched DoS a week ago, and he was just amazed at how seamless most of the cuts were.

Thanks!! I'm a bit of a purist myself as well, so I know what choices to make :D
And I am currently working on an improved version of DOS. I just started it, so I am right where they enter Mirkwood as of now. I'm working on color corrections in order to make each section of middle-earth as realistic as possible and have it represent the mood of the book for each environment. Mirkwood will be much darker. I already made the color during the riddles in the dark scene much darker, so the environment Bilbo is in looks more realistic and it looks like he's in an actual tunnel instead of a green screen film set.
Editing and cleaning up the barrel sequence will be tricky. I'm trying to decide whether to find certain music for the sequence or to just have it quiet the way it is but with better editing. I made an edit of DOS way before the EE release, and I actually kept some of the fighting, but I'm not going to use that anymore. Before when I was making the fan edit that you just saw, I was using windows live movie maker. Now that I'm using Adobe Premiere Pro the quality will be higher and the editing will be much more controllable and therefore (hopefully) smoother.
Editing the smaug sequence at the end where Smaug leaves Erebor will be very tricky, because I still have no idea how to get rid of that molten gold effect that has covered smaug as he bursts through the gate. It is such an awesome and beautiful shot, but the molten gold is distracting and confusing. I'm debating on whether to try and fix it myself which will take a while, or to remove that shot bursting through the gates with all the gold falling off of him completely and just have it cut to Smaug flying away. It's frustrating since that shot is such a beautiful and epic shot, it would be a shame to not use it to my advantage.
User avatar
RyersonSonOfRyer
Citizen of Imladris
 
Posts: 85
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:10 pm
Top

Re: The Hobbit AUJ Fan-Edit

Postby RyersonSonOfRyer » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:27 am

LadyElbereth wrote:Hi Ryerson,
Your fan edits seem to be generating many favourable comments, so congratulations! - could you kindly considering sending me a copy? Many thanks. :)

ladyelbereth4@gmail.com

I have sent them. The editing can be a little rough, since they are rough drafts lol
Enjoy!!!!!
User avatar
RyersonSonOfRyer
Citizen of Imladris
 
Posts: 85
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:10 pm
Top

Re: The Hobbit AUJ Fan-Edit

Postby lotrjw » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:03 am

RyersonSonOfRyer wrote:
Spider Spence wrote:I watched them with my brother, who is even more of a Tolkien purist, and he would like to electronically shake your hand, sir. Says he's been waiting for this version ever since he walked out of Unexpected Journey.

Are you having any luck massaging the barrel sequence and the Smaug sequence? I wondered whether that fade you used to avoid Fili's leg wound could be useful. Obviously those two are really hard. My brother noticed a lot more edits because he had just watched DoS a week ago, and he was just amazed at how seamless most of the cuts were.

Thanks!! I'm a bit of a purist myself as well, so I know what choices to make :D
And I am currently working on an improved version of DOS. I just started it, so I am right where they enter Mirkwood as of now. I'm working on color corrections in order to make each section of middle-earth as realistic as possible and have it represent the mood of the book for each environment. Mirkwood will be much darker. I already made the color during the riddles in the dark scene much darker, so the environment Bilbo is in looks more realistic and it looks like he's in an actual tunnel instead of a green screen film set.
Editing and cleaning up the barrel sequence will be tricky. I'm trying to decide whether to find certain music for the sequence or to just have it quiet the way it is but with better editing. I made an edit of DOS way before the EE release, and I actually kept some of the fighting, but I'm not going to use that anymore. Before when I was making the fan edit that you just saw, I was using windows live movie maker. Now that I'm using Adobe Premiere Pro the quality will be higher and the editing will be much more controllable and therefore (hopefully) smoother.
Editing the smaug sequence at the end where Smaug leaves Erebor will be very tricky, because I still have no idea how to get rid of that molten gold effect that has covered smaug as he bursts through the gate. It is such an awesome and beautiful shot, but the molten gold is distracting and confusing. I'm debating on whether to try and fix it myself which will take a while, or to remove that shot bursting through the gates with all the gold falling off of him completely and just have it cut to Smaug flying away. It's frustrating since that shot is such a beautiful and epic shot, it would be a shame to not use it to my advantage.


Re the barrel ride get rid of the water fall at that gate thing that gets opened and don't use any bits you used before that have music relating to the fight that went on as a start. So it should look like they come through the trap door, have a very fast ride though the rapids of the river say 30-60 seconds apx and get to the calm bit where they get out and meet Bard. As it should work out shorter don't bother finding music for it.

Just a side note could you please check out making a second copy where you cut at the end of the barrel ride and stick that bit onto the first film to see if it would make a 4GB file once rendered please, then put the Laketown and Erebor bits as a separate file that you could join to the cut of BotFA EE edition when you get it? I know you wouldn't be trying to make two films and you said you didn't want to join them up if they go over 4GB file sizes but I thought a cut in approximately the middle of the 3 edits you will eventually do would mean two files at about 4GB each?
lotrjw
Citizen of Imladris
 
Posts: 71
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:33 am
Top

Re: The Hobbit AUJ Fan-Edit

Postby RyersonSonOfRyer » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:23 am

lotrjw wrote:
RyersonSonOfRyer wrote:
Spider Spence wrote:I watched them with my brother, who is even more of a Tolkien purist, and he would like to electronically shake your hand, sir. Says he's been waiting for this version ever since he walked out of Unexpected Journey.

Are you having any luck massaging the barrel sequence and the Smaug sequence? I wondered whether that fade you used to avoid Fili's leg wound could be useful. Obviously those two are really hard. My brother noticed a lot more edits because he had just watched DoS a week ago, and he was just amazed at how seamless most of the cuts were.

Thanks!! I'm a bit of a purist myself as well, so I know what choices to make :D
And I am currently working on an improved version of DOS. I just started it, so I am right where they enter Mirkwood as of now. I'm working on color corrections in order to make each section of middle-earth as realistic as possible and have it represent the mood of the book for each environment. Mirkwood will be much darker. I already made the color during the riddles in the dark scene much darker, so the environment Bilbo is in looks more realistic and it looks like he's in an actual tunnel instead of a green screen film set.
Editing and cleaning up the barrel sequence will be tricky. I'm trying to decide whether to find certain music for the sequence or to just have it quiet the way it is but with better editing. I made an edit of DOS way before the EE release, and I actually kept some of the fighting, but I'm not going to use that anymore. Before when I was making the fan edit that you just saw, I was using windows live movie maker. Now that I'm using Adobe Premiere Pro the quality will be higher and the editing will be much more controllable and therefore (hopefully) smoother.
Editing the smaug sequence at the end where Smaug leaves Erebor will be very tricky, because I still have no idea how to get rid of that molten gold effect that has covered smaug as he bursts through the gate. It is such an awesome and beautiful shot, but the molten gold is distracting and confusing. I'm debating on whether to try and fix it myself which will take a while, or to remove that shot bursting through the gates with all the gold falling off of him completely and just have it cut to Smaug flying away. It's frustrating since that shot is such a beautiful and epic shot, it would be a shame to not use it to my advantage.


Re the barrel ride get rid of the water fall at that gate thing that gets opened and don't use any bits you used before that have music relating to the fight that went on as a start. So it should look like they come through the trap door, have a very fast ride though the rapids of the river say 30-60 seconds apx and get to the calm bit where they get out and meet Bard. As it should work out shorter don't bother finding music for it.

Just a side note could you please check out making a second copy where you cut at the end of the barrel ride and stick that bit onto the first film to see if it would make a 4GB file once rendered please, then put the Laketown and Erebor bits as a separate file that you could join to the cut of BotFA EE edition when you get it? I know you wouldn't be trying to make two films and you said you didn't want to join them up if they go over 4GB file sizes but I thought a cut in approximately the middle of the 3 edits you will eventually do would mean two files at about 4GB each?

Yeah, that sounds good, sure thing!
User avatar
RyersonSonOfRyer
Citizen of Imladris
 
Posts: 85
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:10 pm
Top

Re: The Hobbit AUJ Fan-Edit

Postby LadyElbereth » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:12 am

RyersonSonOfRyer wrote:
LadyElbereth wrote:Hi Ryerson,
Your fan edits seem to be generating many favourable comments, so congratulations! - could you kindly consider sending me a copy? Many thanks. :)

ladyelbereth4@gmail.com

I have sent them. The editing can be a little rough, since they are rough drafts lol
Enjoy!!!!!


Received them, thank you - and watched AUJ just now. Great job! I very much enjoyed your version, the only "bad" edit I'd say is the abrupt cut between the ravine scene overlooking Rivendell and Elrond examining the swords. Surely a bit more of the actual entry into Rivendell could be kept?

I loved the way you handled the opening of the film, cutting Frodo and almost all the old Bilbo stuff, and I liked the removal of Radagast, the flashback to Azanulbizar, and how you worked around the WC, keeping some interaction with Galadriel. The abridged Stone Giants was also an improvement...

On the whole I felt I personally would like more trimmed or removed in places, for example, less Goblin Town, and the whole section of the Thorin and Bilbo showdown with Azog at the cliff edge edited out, with the Eagles coming in after Dori slips off the branch (can't help but feel for him and Ori hanging from Gandalf's staff all that length of time during Thorin's showdown with Azog!) Then of course you'd need to cut to the Carrock after the faux angry hug... Other than that, I do think there is room for PJ's vision to coexist along side the purist material, it's simply, for me, the excesses (such as the burping at Bag End :wink: ) that need trimming!
User avatar
LadyElbereth
Shield Bearer

 
Posts: 345
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:40 am
Top

Re: The Hobbit Fan-Edit

Postby Spider Spence » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:17 am

I had a thought. Just a suggestion, as this is your project and I try not to write other people's books for them. But there is an edit out there that takes some of the footage out of the prologue (Dale burning, dwarves waiting for Smaug to break down the door) and then fades to that footage during the dwarves' song at Bag End, using the song as the soundtrack for that footage. I'd be interested to see if that works.
Spider Spence
Citizen of Imladris
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:27 am
Top

Re: The Hobbit AUJ Fan-Edit

Postby RyersonSonOfRyer » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:27 pm

LadyElbereth wrote:
RyersonSonOfRyer wrote:
LadyElbereth wrote:Hi Ryerson,
Your fan edits seem to be generating many favourable comments, so congratulations! - could you kindly consider sending me a copy? Many thanks. :)

ladyelbereth4@gmail.com

I have sent them. The editing can be a little rough, since they are rough drafts lol
Enjoy!!!!!


Received them, thank you - and watched AUJ just now. Great job! I very much enjoyed your version, the only "bad" edit I'd say is the abrupt cut between the ravine scene overlooking Rivendell and Elrond examining the swords. Surely a bit more of the actual entry into Rivendell could be kept?

I loved the way you handled the opening of the film, cutting Frodo and almost all the old Bilbo stuff, and I liked the removal of Radagast, the flashback to Azanulbizar, and how you worked around the WC, keeping some interaction with Galadriel. The abridged Stone Giants was also an improvement...

On the whole I felt I personally would like more trimmed or removed in places, for example, less Goblin Town, and the whole section of the Thorin and Bilbo showdown with Azog at the cliff edge edited out, with the Eagles coming in after Dori slips off the branch (can't help but feel for him and Ori hanging from Gandalf's staff all that length of time during Thorin's showdown with Azog!) Then of course you'd need to cut to the Carrock after the faux angry hug... Other than that, I do think there is room for PJ's vision to coexist along side the purist material, it's simply, for me, the excesses (such as the burping at Bag End :wink: ) that need trimming!

I am making an improved version right now, and I am taking these into consideration. A lot of excess stuff has already been cut. Thank you!!
Also, I plan on making the fire from Gandalfs pinecones blue, like they were in the book.
When you have finished watching my edit of DOS, please tell me what you thought!!
User avatar
RyersonSonOfRyer
Citizen of Imladris
 
Posts: 85
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:10 pm
Top

Re: The Hobbit Fan-Edit

Postby lotrjw » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:31 pm

Spider Spence wrote:I had a thought. Just a suggestion, as this is your project and I try not to write other people's books for them. But there is an edit out there that takes some of the footage out of the prologue (Dale burning, dwarves waiting for Smaug to break down the door) and then fades to that footage during the dwarves' song at Bag End, using the song as the soundtrack for that footage. I'd be interested to see if that works.


Ive been musing on where the prologue bits could go if you cut it from the beginning and that sounds about right, its a shame the song isnt longer as you could carefully craft a lot in like that!
lotrjw
Citizen of Imladris
 
Posts: 71
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:33 am
Top

Re: The Hobbit AUJ Fan-Edit

Postby lotrjw » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:36 pm

RyersonSonOfRyer wrote:
LadyElbereth wrote:Received them, thank you - and watched AUJ just now. Great job! I very much enjoyed your version, the only "bad" edit I'd say is the abrupt cut between the ravine scene overlooking Rivendell and Elrond examining the swords. Surely a bit more of the actual entry into Rivendell could be kept?

I loved the way you handled the opening of the film, cutting Frodo and almost all the old Bilbo stuff, and I liked the removal of Radagast, the flashback to Azanulbizar, and how you worked around the WC, keeping some interaction with Galadriel. The abridged Stone Giants was also an improvement...

On the whole I felt I personally would like more trimmed or removed in places, for example, less Goblin Town, and the whole section of the Thorin and Bilbo showdown with Azog at the cliff edge edited out, with the Eagles coming in after Dori slips off the branch (can't help but feel for him and Ori hanging from Gandalf's staff all that length of time during Thorin's showdown with Azog!) Then of course you'd need to cut to the Carrock after the faux angry hug... Other than that, I do think there is room for PJ's vision to coexist along side the purist material, it's simply, for me, the excesses (such as the burping at Bag End :wink: ) that need trimming!

I am making an improved version right now, and I am taking these into consideration. A lot of excess stuff has already been cut. Thank you!!
Also, I plan on making the fire from Gandalfs pinecones blue, like they were in the book.
When you have finished watching my edit of DOS, please tell me what you thought!!


If you can make Gandalf's fire blue could you also colour the swards for Gandalf and Thorin (I forget the names of the swards right now)?
lotrjw
Citizen of Imladris
 
Posts: 71
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:33 am
Top

Re: The Hobbit Fan-Edit

Postby boppare » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:37 pm

I would love to see the edits to both AUJ and DOS, I was really hoping for a quality fan-edit since 3 years ago!
Please share.
vbz4277@yahoo.com
boppare
Petitioner to the Council
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:31 pm
Top

Re: The Hobbit Fan-Edit

Postby RyersonSonOfRyer » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:59 am

boppare wrote:I would love to see the edits to both AUJ and DOS, I was really hoping for a quality fan-edit since 3 years ago!
Please share.
vbz4277@yahoo.com

I have sent both of them to you. I am making better versions right now and i will send you them when they are finished as well.
User avatar
RyersonSonOfRyer
Citizen of Imladris
 
Posts: 85
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:10 pm
Top

PreviousNext

Return to Movies - The Hobbit

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest