TH:DOS - Extended version

The Hobbit is in production as 3 separate films, and will be released 1 year apart, with the first due December 2012. Head in to discuss your thoughts and reactions, and post any questions you might have about these films.

Re: TH:DOS - Extended version

Postby Linden » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:59 am

I prefer the EEs in all cases (including LOTR) because they generally give the actors more screen time and the actors (and writers) generally made good use of it. I thing the casting is one of the great strengths of all these films, and failure to make effective use of their talents one of the irritating shortcomings (over reliance on spectacle and over-the-top action, rather than the acting, to carry the films).

I also like the commentaries and extras on them.
Linden
Ranger of the North

Postby Mithfânion » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:45 am

I watched the EE when it came out.

I thought the Dol Guldur sequences were good and should simply have been in the theatrical edition, it makes Thorin's story much more poignant, and it'an interesting sidestory anyway.

I did not however like the introduction of the dwarves to Beorn, it looked very foolish, they were clearly not able to bring that to screen in a way that worked.
None of the other added scenes were memorable or necessary. The last thing we needed was even more scuffling around in Lake-Town, very boring, or Stephen Fry eating goat balls.
Mithfânion
Ringbearer

Postby Lalaith-Elerrina » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:49 am

For myself, I'm willing to give the EEs a chance. When I first saw BoFA in theatres about a week ago, my initial reaction was disappointment. But the more I think about it and try to put it in perspective, (I still don't like it, but I'm trying to think logically about it rather than emotionally) I'm willing to watch the EEs and see what happens in them. From my experience watching the EEs of LoTR, they greatly improved the story.
Lalaith-Elerrina
Ringbearer

Postby darthgandalf99 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:53 am

Spider Spence wrote:Did most people enjoy the first film more than the second? I liked Desolation better, though I rolled my eyes and groaned at the over-the-top barrel fights, the more melodramatic parts of Kili & Tauriel, and the giant gold statue combo move. In general, the movie had better pacing until just before the end.

AUJ is my favourite of the three.

When watching a film adaption of a JRR Tolkien novel, my main concern is how well the motion picture on my screen is expositing the plot, themes and tone of JRR Tolkien's novels/world. AUJ was better at that. I'm not sure how much DOS really did to advance the plot and certainly in terms of tone it was all over the place. The EE went some way to remedying that in the first half of the film, but better still would be redact the three into two films and do away with much of the action filler.
darthgandalf99
Shield Bearer

Postby Drogo Baggins » Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:57 am

Watched the EE this past weekend. As with the LOTR EE versions the added scenes fill in detail that makes the story better. I still don't care for several of the changes (river of gold) but as a movie the EE is much better than the TE.
Drogo Baggins
Ranger of the North

Postby lotrjw » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:17 am

Drogo Baggins wrote:Watched the EE this past weekend. As with the LOTR EE versions the added scenes fill in detail that makes the story better. I still don't care for several of the changes (river of gold) but as a movie the EE is much better than the TE.

I have to agree with all of what you say, I find it interesting that whatever fan edit I watch they always cut the 'river of gold' scene!
lotrjw
Citizen of Imladris

Postby portia » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:06 pm

I watched the DoSEE today--well, mostly.
I am pleased with most of it. The additional Beorn material should certainly have stayed. I will have think about the rest.
portia
Ringbearer

Previous

Return to Movies - The Hobbit