Creating short extra footage in between the 6 movies to link

The Hobbit is in production as 3 separate films, and will be released 1 year apart, with the first due December 2012. Head in to discuss your thoughts and reactions, and post any questions you might have about these films.

Creating short extra footage in between the 6 movies to link

Postby Morgoth's Ring » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:10 pm

I have always fantasised and imagined how this would look and hoped that one day Peter, Fran and Philippa would create this as part of some mammoth box set. It would be great if they could created some content that directly leads into each movie. A link that no longer deprecated the movies and instead makes it feel like one epic journey without the gaps in between.

This doesn't have to be some massive scene or collection of scenes and could in a sense just be the current movies stitched together.

It is kind of like how they ended BOTFA with that link to the fellowship but it would be great if there was that little link that directly led onto the fellowship and the movie begins.

Don't get me wrong there isn't a blu ray big enough to store 6 movies on that play sequentially uninterrupted one after the other. Heck you have to change disc half way through the extended edition on just one movie. But if there was something they could do to really link these movies together then it would be amazing.

I don't expect many people to sit and watch these movies on a 24 hour binge. However it would be great if they could create something that made it literally a long and epic journey.

When I say short footage I mean no more than 5 mins but even 39 seconds could possibly do it.

Now would be the best time to do so for The Hobbit movies and the link to Fellowship. Because the movies have only just been made and it could be quite seamless. And the link between The Hobbit and LOTR is possible because the footage would be original and start where The Hobbit finished.

Doing it to link each LOTR movie would be very difficult because they where shot over ten years ago.

So I just wondered what people's thoughts on here are?

Something else I would like to see is consistent colour grading between the entire 6 movies. The LOTR movies have a consistent colour grading that makes them all feel as one. Whereas the The Hobbit trilogy has a very different colour grading which makes it feel like it was shot by a different director and thus somewhat separate.
Morgoth's Ring
Petitioner to the Council

Re: Creating short extra footage in between the 6 movies to

Postby lotrjw » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:36 pm

Well I like what you are saying, but I don't think that Jackson would do it as the Hobbit films are so technically different from the Lord of the Rings films that they would have to make them all 2D to work! Not that I would complain at that as I don't like 3D!

I think TBH that only a Fan edit would do, it would have to start with the Hobbit making it as close to the book as is possible and then a short link with the LotR back story all patched together, unless it has a place within the LotR films somewhere.
Then a very carefully edited version of the three LotR films, that is like but improving as much as is possible on the Red Book edits that Kerr did (I would personally like to see Narsil reforged in the Fellowship of the Ring, I know that we see Aragorn with the other sward at many points, but it wouldn't be so noticeable if the reforging was seen being done before the Fellowship left Rivendell.
Also with that having Aragorn using the Palantir at Dunharrow instead of at Minas Tirith, seeing the Ships and Elrond saying take the Dimholt road in the Palantir would be great!
Also with the Hobbit now having some scenes with Frodo in before Bilbo's party in the Fellowship, they could (where appropriate), be edited into the Fellowship showing him put the sign on the gate at Bag End ect before he heads off to meet up with Gandalf, along with moving Concerning Hobbits section from Fellowship to the Hobbit!
Other than that Kerr did a good job with the book edits overall, so the only other thing would be having the whole thing in HD with 5.1 Dolby and DTS surround sound! I think it would end up being spread over 11 or 12 BluRay disks altogether!
Seriously I would like to do it myself but I dont have the means to do it (aka a fast enough PC with a BD writer drive and the right software!)
lotrjw
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Minardil » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:56 pm

I'm not sure what footage you expect to see to link the three films of each trilogy together. I mean, the three films of the LoTR are already intended to be an integrated whole, the action of each follows immediately upon the prior. What "linking" footage would you suggest to go between the final minutes of Fellowship and the first minutes of Two Towers?
Minardil
Mariner

Postby lotrjw » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:09 pm

Minardil wrote:I'm not sure what footage you expect to see to link the three films of each trilogy together. I mean, the three films of the LoTR are already intended to be an integrated whole, the action of each follows immediately upon the prior. What "linking" footage would you suggest to go between the final minutes of Fellowship and the first minutes of Two Towers?

I think the OP is meaning between the 3rd Hobbit film and the first LotR film, as like you say the 3 LotR films already join quite well if you watch them back to back without the end credits of FotR and TTT, also the 3 Hobbit films are supposed to already work together as one!
Like I say though Jackson wouldnt join all 6 together in any way, the most I see him doing is joining the 3 Hobbit films and joining the 3 LotR films, then releasing both sets in one huge bumper boxset!
lotrjw
Citizen of Imladris

Postby darthgandalf99 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:33 am

The links you refer to already exist and have already been released theatrically, the scenes with Elijah Wood and Ian Holm in the Hobbit trilogy are specific and intentional bridging devices between the LOTR and Hobbit trilogies. In one of the final scenes of BOTFA, we have Legolas and Thranduil discussing Aragorn.

This has already been done, but I do agree it would be nice if somehow they could bring the look, including the colour grading of the Hobbit, closer to that of LOTR - I do suspect that they will struggle or be unable to do this, unfortunately.

The release of all six in one boxset will undoubtedly come in 2015.
darthgandalf99
Shield Bearer

Postby solicitr » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:22 pm

I have always fantasised and imagined how this would look and hoped that one day Peter, Fran and Philippa would create this

So you like worthless garbage fan-fiction by talentless hacks?" To each his own, I guess.
solicitr
Ranger of the North

Postby ngaur » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:09 am

George Lucas did something like this for his Young Indiana Jones series, and the new material didn't blend well, in part because the actors were a little older and stouter, but also because it tears at the packages the original directors presented. Plus we lost all the framing scenes with old Indiana Jones.

It vexes me still that I cannot get my hands on a dvd with the entire series, as it was first aired on television complete with old Indy at the right place, instead of the double episode editions that are available. Just one more thing George Lucas fouled with his touch. The Middle-Earth movies have enough problems as they are, let's not mess about.
ngaur
Ranger of the North

Postby darthgandalf99 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:38 am

ngaur wrote:George Lucas did something like this for his Young Indiana Jones series, and the new material didn't blend well, in part because the actors were a little older and stouter, but also because it tears at the packages the original directors presented. Plus we lost all the framing scenes with old Indiana Jones.

It vexes me still that I cannot get my hands on a dvd with the entire series, as it was first aired on television complete with old Indy at the right place, instead of the double episode editions that are available. Just one more thing George Lucas fouled with his touch. The Middle-Earth movies have enough problems as they are, let's not mess about.

I see, not surprising to hear that the idea was difficult to pull off.

Although, given that George Lucas originated the series, perhaps better to dwell on that, rather than him fouling a latter cut? The PJ and GL parallels with their respective prequel trilogies are interesting, but whatever the achievements of the latter part of GL's career he is a true creator and storyteller (or subcreator as Tolkien would have put it) and is someone who has created a phenomenon that wouldn't have existed but for him. For me that puts him in a category of artist deserving immense respect. True subcreators who create a world, that simply didn't exist before them, are a rare breed.
darthgandalf99
Shield Bearer

Postby ngaur » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:01 pm

Although, given that George Lucas originated the series, perhaps better to dwell on that, rather than him fouling a latter cut?

True, Lucas gets a lot of extra barbs because of what he did with the Star Wars prequels and the new Indy movie. The changes to YIJ aren't nearly as bad as any of that, infact the majority probably won't even mind it. Me though I am old enough to remember a lot of this series as it was shown on TV. The director of each episode back then gave us the stories within a framework that complemented them, so to me Lucas tampering with these frameworks tend to become yet another of his meddling with old franchises that I grew fond of.

Of course George Lucas originated all of the above. Star Wars, Indian Jones and the YIJ, and not everyone find themselves as capable of beeing the machine as working for it. In the end the tampering both to the OT Star Wars and to the YIJ series seems so unecessary.
ngaur
Ranger of the North

Return to Movies - The Hobbit