I Cosplayed as Gandalf the Grey when I saw the Film

The Hobbit is in production as 3 separate films, and will be released 1 year apart, with the first due December 2012. Head in to discuss your thoughts and reactions, and post any questions you might have about these films.

I Cosplayed as Gandalf the Grey when I saw the Film

Postby HELMHAMMERHAND » Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:16 am

Yesterday....at roughly a hour and a bit before....the film started at 10:00 Am.....

I put on my grey robes, wrapped my belt/sword/scabbard (I have the Official Glamdring replica sword Foe-Hammer to the Orcs, and Staff of Gandalf the Grey (Everything else I wore was a much cheaper knock off that still looked reasonably authentic enough from a distance!) and secured it around my waist!

The grey robes had long sleeves, and the hem reached nearly all the way down too my ankles barely covering the fact I was wearing black sports pants.

The sword dangled from my left hip, rather haphazardly like it was meant for a taller person. Yet, at five foot ten (178 CM), I'm not too short.

ImageImageImage

Then I slung my small grey pouch felt over my left shoulder. Unbeknownst to me the bloody thing had not been sown on one of it's sides, and I lost all my bank cards. I will have words with the manufactorers about this. It came with a grey belt woven form soft leather straps. It was two loose to wear and I ended replacing with a grey leather belt belonging to my father. Way to weak to hold the sword and scabbard it came in.

The scabbard is the official dark blue leather scabbard of Gandalf the Grey. I also have the white the scabbard made from felt over plastic or wooden casing (As well as the other scabbard!) for Gandalf the White.

Image Image

I then sat down to pull on my boots, they looked like a cross between moon and ugg boots made from some leathery stuff with inner fur lining. They only covered my ankles and were not that long at all. The only other thing that broke my Middle-Earth immersion is the P & H - EST 1975 label stamped over the heel of each boot. They would do, as they were my very last purchase made a few days early at the very same shopping mall built on the same premises as the cinema I would be seeing the film yesterday. They cost me barely 10:00 dollars.

The then got up again to admire them and grab the grey cloth cloak that came with the robes and wrapped it around my shoulders tieing it around my neck with the thin grey cloth straps were that cut from the same fabric. I felt this part of the wizard uniform the least authentic as the movie Gandalf wrap some grey hessian like wrap that was some how secured around his arms and not his neck. I did not have the finances to cover the official replica version for it.....

Or the official grey fingerless woollen gloves, pointed grey conical wide brim felt hat, Grey Woollen Wizards Cloak, Wooden long stem pipe

ImageImageImageImage

It just hung loosely from my back and I had to keep wrapping it around my shoulders.

ImageImage

I also had something that was half way between the official replica or cheap knock off of the very same clasp Gandalf the Grey wore in the films. Except, this one was smaller and not stronger enough to hold my cloak together around my neck and shoulders. It flew off three times before I decided not to wear it at all. Besides, you would never see the thing underneath my fake long grey beard.

Which was next, along with long grey hair wig. They both grey. The hair on both long and thin, very wispy. The effect was pretty close to what I wanted after trying them for the first time and even more so this time...

I noticed that after I first tried both hair pieces on and then carelessly discarded them. It did look as though they need proper care and attention. The wig appeared to be in even condition the second time I wanted to wear. Patches of hair appeared to be missing from it and what hair was still on it was tangled. It wasn't until I tried them on again a few days earlier that I realised this was easily fixed with a plastic brush to straighten and separate the hair and comb it back over. I think it turns out that there is more hair at the front than there is at the back, but you just have to brush it back and as well as forwards. It was a majority of the hair hangs forward as bangs swept the either side. The beard on every occasion is more of a problem. At first I didn't realise it had a elastic strap that separates into two strap that are meant kept separated when pulled over the back of my head for greater purchase. I didn't so this the first time I tried on and just didn't sit right underneath my nose. There is opening between the moustache chin hair for my mouth that didn't stay open. Either way it was uncomfortable to wear and the skull cap portion of wig needed to be firmly placed over my head. It didn't help that I do have my own full head of hair. I also had a very descent, but short and thick beard up until just over a fortnight ago when I had it practically shaven almost entirely off except for a just as descent handle-bar mo. My previously clean shave chin, cheeks and jawline is now sporting some heavy stubble which will be the very same beard again after another five weeks. I think I got it right on the morning I attended the first screening of the film in my town.

The last two things I needed are Narya - Ring of Fire....(And Gandalf the Grey's Staff of Power)....

Which is a very cheap replica that could pass for the original. With it's intricate gold band and red ruby stone embedded on the top. Of course this became the property of Gandalf after it was given to him by Cirdan

I also have the cheap replicas of the Ring of Air - Vilya....

Which belongs to Elrond

And Ring 0f Water - Nenya ....

Which belongs to Galadriel)

A replica of the Green-Leaf-Brooches/Pendants/Clasps that were given to all in the Grey-Company that were given Elven-CLoaks.

The Evening-Star-Pendant that Aragorn had given to [/b]Arwen[/b] when he was reunited with her in Rivendell during the Brotherhood of the Ring.

Barahir's Ring A band of silver with the likeness of two serpents with eyes of green jewels interwined, there head meeting, one facing down and the other facing up on either side of larger green jewel. This is the symbol of the House of Finarfin.

Orignally made for King Finrod Felagund, who then gave it to Barahir and it was then retrieved by his Beren who had taken it from the Orcs who slew his father. It soon passed into the hands of the Elves again who were the ancestors of Elrond who then gave it to Aragorn.

The ring is not known to have any power aside from being the oldest crafted object in Middle-Earth (I just though that was worth mentioning according to the official wiki!)

Missing from my collection along the official replica of....

The One Ring, You know it well enough already....

The very last thing I grabbed before I left the house....

The Elvish rune or Ogham on it's shaft....

ImageImage

The warped head of the staff surrounding the bulb that houses the ancient power....

Was this replica of one of many of different variants of the oaken staffs of power (One of which was previously wielded by Radaghast!) that was wielded by Gandalf the Grey before he became Gandalf the White.

Yep, I have that one as well!

I would go on to discribe my hours walking journey to the Lime-Light cinema at Riverlink's-Shopping-Centre in North-Ipswich....but I wish to end my commentary here right now...because I have spent most of the late afternoon and into the evening preparing this post and I'm so weary.

HELMHAMMERHAND
Ranger of the North

Re: I Cosplayed as Gandalf the Grey when I saw the Film

Postby HELMHAMMERHAND » Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:41 pm

You know...I figured this might have got a reaction by now.

Did I post this in the wrong place.

Are there more threads with pictures of fans here cos-playing as their favourite Lotr/Hobbit characters.....

I would like to see those and knowing that it was damn same nobody else turned up at the same place I did in their own costumes.

BTW, I used to post here under the pseudonym of Helm's Deep if anybody here recalls.

I do recognise a few names here now....

I think Innocent Evil was one. yeah, we don't know each well, but remember the name.

There are others I haven't seen around here lately like Klonku or Klonk - You, Whistler, Something (I cannot remember the first part) of Long Cleave, Gandalf's Mother, and many others I can't recall off the top of my head.

I was registered on this forum a few years before year 2002 when the first film screened. I saw it in the city of Melbourne.

I just don't spend much time here as I used to before my ordeal in Sydney and since I got back.

I used to be here everyday raising my post count in significant proportions

Does Siddarth - Mitra post he still. I haven't been able to find him on Facebook since I had my original account banned.

Hope I didn't turn him away like the others.

Otherwise please direct him here.....
HELMHAMMERHAND
Ranger of the North

Postby RyersonSonOfRyer » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:05 am

Lol this is freaking awesome!!! If I had the costume I would definitely do this!!! The only movie i cosplay end for was The Amazing Spider-Man 2, wearing my Spider-Man costume. Alas, I have no photos :/
RyersonSonOfRyer
Citizen of Imladris

Postby heliona » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:58 am

HELMHAMMERHAND wrote:Did I post this in the wrong place.

I think it's probably the right place, it's just that people are overwhelmed. :D I think it's wonderful that you went to such an effort to cos-play. Personally, I never could (I doubt I could sustain the enthusiasm to gather together all the necessary items. ;) ). But good for you. :) It's a shame that no-one else did it, though. It would have been brilliant if there'd been a lot of you.

Are there more threads with pictures of fans here cos-playing as their favourite Lotr/Hobbit characters.....

I would like to see those and knowing that it was damn same nobody else turned up at the same place I did in their own costumes.

I know that a few other TORCers cos--play on a regular basis, although I'm not sure if they post in this forum. However, if I come across them, I'll point them to here. :)

BTW, I used to post here under the pseudonym of Helm's Deep if anybody here recalls.

I think Innocent Evil was one. yeah, we don't know each well, but remember the name.

There are others I haven't seen around here lately like Klonku or Klonk - You, Whistler, Something (I cannot remember the first part) of Long Cleave, Gandalf's Mother, and many others I can't recall off the top of my head.

I indeed remember you as Helm's Deep. :) (It is Diamond of Long Cleeve, by the way, and she sometimes still pops in. Of those that you've listed, she's the most often seen. :) )

Does Siddarth - Mitra post he still. I haven't been able to find him on Facebook since I had my original account banned.

Indeed siddarth does still post here, and I'm sure would love to post more, but he's just started university studying something medical (I think it's dentistry, actually) so he doesn't have much spare time to drop by any more. :)

Anyway, welcome back Helm's Deep/HELMHAMMERHAND. :D
Image<-- Cute Border Collie puppy for Cute animal month in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby HELMHAMMERHAND » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:08 am

This is going to be embarrassing for me, but I made some dumb videos with my costume on....

IN THESE PARTS, I'M KNOWN AS GANDALF THE GREY

That one above was partically embarrassing and decide to replace with these which turned out to be almost just as shameful towards myself.

So please excuse my terrible re-interpretation of GANDALF THE GREY....(It's My First Gandalf Trilogy!)

GREETINGS FROM MIDDLE-EARTH

MY OTHER LOTR TRINKETS

ME AS GANDALF SANS HAT/WIG/BEARD

There are more video starting with me walking to the cinema in town
HELMHAMMERHAND
Ranger of the North

Postby HELMHAMMERHAND » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:34 pm

heliona wrote:
HELMHAMMERHAND wrote:Did I post this in the wrong place.

I think it's probably the right place, it's just that people are overwhelmed. :D I think it's wonderful that you went to such an effort to cos-play. Personally, I never could (I doubt I could sustain the enthusiasm to gather together all the necessary items. ;) ). But good for you. :) It's a shame that no-one else did it, though. It would have been brilliant if there'd been a lot of you.

I thought would have been a shame not to after my ordeal of getting the sword through customs. Otherwise, it just sits in my room gathering dust.

heliona wrote:
HELMHAMMERHAND wrote:Are there more threads with pictures of fans here cos-playing as their favourite Lotr/Hobbit characters.....

I know that a few other TORCers cos-play on a regular basis, although I'm not sure if they post in this forum. However, if I come across them, I'll point them to here. :)

Such a shame I seem to be the only one this year. This year it was the first time I kept to my local town and didn't travel into the city to see the film. It's been a habit of mine with these films to make day of it somewhere special. I do recall on the previous years some folk (I passed on the very same foot bridge shown in one of my videos!) dressed/cos-playing as characters. Some of them not form the hobbit, but still distinguishing themselves as definitely some Middle-Earth folk. I recognised some short girl dressed as a Ring-Wraith, (Too short to be anywhere near convincing! I could tell she was a girl by the curves and feminine gait of walking as she passed me! ) some bloke dressed as a elven warrior, and another dressed a warrior possibly of Gondor and another as Gandalf the Grey. There was also some large dude dressed most likely as Beorn walking behind him.

When the first Hobbit film screened in Brisbane. The Event Cinemas in the Myer Centre were so packed. People kept, shuffling sideways (As you would!) past my seat. Getting in my way a couple of times through out the film, Yet, I ended seeing this film about thirteen times during the period it was in distribution around my part of the world. I think it was only my second viewing of the film on the very same day that I noticed one , two or three people had gone to the trouble finding. Some bloke, I barely recall now. Something about the way he was dressed. Some article of his clothing looked identical to what I had seen in any of the previous film including this one. There was tall girl, possibly dressed as either elven lady or noble women of either Rohan or Gondor. I don't recall seeing her sporting a pair of pointed ears.

Yet, it back in 2001 or 2002 in the city of Sydney, where I rocked up to the premiere outside the cinemas on the main drag just down the road from Town hall station. Across the road from MacDonalds, Planet Hollywood, Pizza Hut (I hope it's still there, as every other restaurant of this type has now disappeared! You know the ones where they allow you to just keep eating after slipping them ten backs at the front counter!), Taco Bell (Which has not been replaced!) and Hungry Jacks, While across the road the red carpet had been layed out with the barricade on either side of it. I took photos of the cinema marquee from the other side of the road I just described and some individual posters related to the film in question. Soon the place was filled with people gathering around the red carpet area. I tried standing right on the barricade and was asked by some well dressed fellows (Who I thought looked and acted important enough to be taken seriously!) to back away a let this girl in front of me.

Some people will go all out in official costumes looking the very image....like they had stepped off of the cinema screen. While other are noticeably just hoping they would be recognised by the odd bits of cloth sown together and other bit's pieces hoping they have achieved enough of likeness to their favourite character. I know I chose Gandalf because I just had to find the best costume (Something that I could afford!) to compliment the sword and staff I just have lying around. As bloody uncomfortable as it was, I pleased with the overall result. otherwise, I not sure what other character from this particular version of Tolkien's works I could have passed my self off as. Given my height, and build. Who else could I possibly be.

heliona wrote:
HELMHAMMERHAND wrote:BTW, I used to post here under the pseudonym of Helm's Deep if anybody here recalls.

I indeed remember you as Helm's Deep. :) (It is Diamond of Long Cleeve, by the way, and she sometimes still pops in. Of those that you've listed, she's the most often seen. :) )

HELMHAMMERHAND wrote:Does Siddarth - Mitra post he still. I haven't been able to find him on Facebook since I had my original account banned.

Indeed siddarth does still post here, and I'm sure would love to post more, but he's just started university studying something medical (I think it's dentistry, actually) so he doesn't have much spare time to drop by any more. :)

Anyway, welcome back Helm's Deep/HELMHAMMERHAND. :D

CONTINUED SOMETIME LATER
HELMHAMMERHAND
Ranger of the North

Return to Movies - The Hobbit