Bilbo and friends

The Hobbit is in production as 3 separate films, and will be released 1 year apart, with the first due December 2012. Head in to discuss your thoughts and reactions, and post any questions you might have about these films.

Bilbo and friends

Postby campkennedy » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:51 pm

Here is my follow on question after the inquiry about Tauriel... Is there any indication or anything else written by Tolkien to suggest that Bilbo ever saw or was visited by the Dwarves again? The Dwarves that he befriended in 'Hobbit'? Perhaps another meeting or adventure with a few from 'Thorin & Co'... "Tea at 4:00"... I believe that I read somewhere that it was fairly common for Bilbo to be outgoing for a Hobbit and to seek out visits from others in Middle Earth... All I know at present is that the Dwarves begin rebuilding after Erebor is retaken... Balin eventually proceeds on to rebuild Moria and such. Or, did Bilbo just remain in the Shire until the beginning of LOTR? Only journeying to Rivendale until the final defeat of Sauron? Thanks. All the best, Kevin
campkennedy
Petitioner to the Council

Re: Bilbo and friends

Postby Lalaith-Elerrina » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:30 pm

At the end of The Hobbit, Balin and Gandalf visit Bilbo. It's also mentioned that Bilbo takes up the hobbies of writing poetry and visiting elves. So he does do some traveling. Not as extensive as to Laketown, or Erebor, though.
Lalaith-Elerrina
Ringbearer

Postby campkennedy » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:32 pm

Thank you for taking the time to reply... I appreciate it. Like I previously mentioned, I have much more reading and learning ahead. I seem to pick up information here and there while researching, but did recently read something that gave an indication that Bofur was still around at Erebor with Dain during the time of FOTR?
campkennedy

Postby krawler » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:41 pm

Bilbo actually did revisit Dale in his later years. After departing the Shire at the beginning of LotR he headed towards Rivendell, and in the chapter Many Meetings he says:

Bilbo wrote:I got here without much adventure, and after a rest I went on with the dwarves to Dale: my last journey. I shan't travel again. Old Balin had gone away. Then I came back here, and here I have been.

And you're correct about Bofur, campkennedy. Earlier in that same chapter Gloin tells Frodo that everyone but Balin, Ori and Oin are still hanging around Erebor.
krawler
Ranger of the North

Postby campkennedy » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:32 pm

Thank you for the additional information... I am delighted to know of Bilbo's final visit with friends... It relays a feeling of completeness. Fantastic style of writing.
campkennedy

Postby Lalaith-Elerrina » Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:07 am

krawler wrote:Bilbo actually did revisit Dale in his later years. After departing the Shire at the beginning of LotR he headed towards Rivendell, and in the chapter Many Meetings he says:

Bilbo wrote:I got here without much adventure, and after a rest I went on with the dwarves to Dale: my last journey. I shan't travel again. Old Balin had gone away. Then I came back here, and here I have been.

And you're correct about Bofur, campkennedy. Earlier in that same chapter Gloin tells Frodo that everyone but Balin, Ori and Oin are still hanging around Erebor.

Okay! I guess I did not remember that part. Thanks for the correction. :)
Lalaith-Elerrina
Ringbearer

Return to Movies - The Hobbit