Traveled to Middle Earth?

The Hobbit is in production as 3 separate films, and will be released 1 year apart, with the first due December 2012. Head in to discuss your thoughts and reactions, and post any questions you might have about these films.

Traveled to Middle Earth?

Postby campkennedy » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:32 pm

I would enjoy hearing from anyone who has made the journey and adventured in Middle Earth/ New Zealand...? I hope to make that journey myself one day soon... A most beautiful country! I have read of the different travel packages available that specialize in touring the filming locations. Definitely on the 'Bucket List'. Thanks
campkennedy
Petitioner to the Council

Re: Traveled to Middle Earth?

Postby darthgandalf99 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:41 am

It's definitely on my wish list.

I am interested in visiting New Zealand generally, I'm not too concerned about visiting all the major shooting locations on one of those LOTR tours (my favourite bits of ME are CGI (Rivendell), deconstructed set (Minas Tirith), bigature (Isengard)), however Hobbiton, my favourite place, does exist, so I definitely want to visit Hobbiton.
darthgandalf99
Shield Bearer

Postby campkennedy » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:47 am

Hobbiton? Yes, definitely! And, I agree! I too wish there were a Rivendale to visit as well! Two peaceful places; two of my favorites... Would also like to gaze upon Edoras! Mount Sunday, as I believe it is really called? Would very much like to see the Misty Mountains (stand in) too, though I'm sure they don't stretch for 900 miles. Still, awesome!
New Zealand, can understand why it was chosen... perfect fit as ME.
campkennedy

Postby campkennedy » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:40 pm

Mention also... I live near the Southern Rockies and during this time of the year they remind me of the Misty Mountains, especially at dusk. Really enjoy it...
campkennedy

Postby notlistening » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:46 pm

I've been to NZ 3 times (2 of those since the movies were made) and have seen some of the film sites, mostly around Wellington. There is a great day tour that goes from there.

http://www.wellingtonrover.co.nz/index. ... l-day-tour

I have yet to make it to Matamata, on the North Island where Hobbiton is set but I believe it is one of the only actual set pieces that haven't been put back to looking "normal." Friends have been and loved it.
notlistening
wandering not lost

Return to Movies - The Hobbit