Where are the other rings in PJ's movies?

The Hobbit is in production as 3 separate films, and will be released 1 year apart, with the first due December 2012. Head in to discuss your thoughts and reactions, and post any questions you might have about these films.

Where are the other rings in PJ's movies?

Postby lurker.tomato » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:35 am

3 Elves
7 Dwarves
9 Men

Has anyone gotten a screengrab closeup of all the rings in PJ's movies? So far, I can only recall seeing Nenya in Galadriel's fingers. The rest, I haven't quite caught in the film. Not even Gandalf's or Elrond's.

Also, what about Thrain's ring? Why washis finger necessarily cut off to remove the ring, was it one of the 7?
lurker.tomato
Petitioner to the Council

Re: Where are the other rings in PJ's movies?

Postby portia » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:09 am

Oh, help.
I seem to recall some sort of a Ring for Gandalf, but I can't pin the memory down.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby lurker.tomato » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:45 am

Thanks Wilko. I should've qualified the request: other than in the prologue, if there were any reference to the current holder of the rings during hobbit/lotr timeline. Like in BOTFA, Nenya was given a closeup. In FOTR also, I think it was Gimli or Mary/Pippin who mentioned that they can see stars in Galadriel's finger.
lurker.tomato
Petitioner to the Council

Postby darthgandalf99 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:43 pm

Well it is known who held the Nine, although those aren't shown except in the prologue.

Most of the Ring references are in the EEs. Galadriel shows Frodo Nenya in the FOTR EE. Thrain is shown wearing the last of the 7 at the Battle of Azanulbizar and I'm pretty sure that Gandalf says "the last of the 7" when Thrain shows him his amputated finger.

Gandalf the White is clearly shown wearing Narya at the Grey Havens scene, Elrond is also shown wearing Vilya. The same bearers are of course at Dol Guldur and apparently we will see more explicit close ups in the BOTFA EE.

I think the 7 are also mentioned during the White Council scene in the AUJ EE, pretty much following the book - the films follow Tolkien quite faithfully in this regard (down to the detail of the Three being hidden and not in plain sight).
darthgandalf99
Shield Bearer

Postby lotrjw » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:25 pm

darthgandalf99 wrote:Well it is known who held the Nine, although those aren't shown except in the prologue.

Most of the Ring references are in the EEs. Galadriel shows Frodo Nenya in the FOTR EE. Thrain is shown wearing the last of the 7 at the Battle of Azanulbizar and I'm pretty sure that Gandalf says "the last of the 7" when Thrain shows him his amputated finger.

Gandalf the White is clearly shown wearing Narya at the Grey Havens scene, Elrond is also shown wearing Vilya. The same bearers are of course at Dol Guldur and apparently we will see more explicit close ups in the BOTFA EE.

I think the 7 are also mentioned during the White Council scene in the AUJ EE, pretty much following the book - the films follow Tolkien quite faithfully in this regard (down to the detail of the Three being hidden and not in plain sight).

I assume that the reason they can all be seen at the Grey Havens is because there power went at the point the master ring was destroyed, meaning that Gandalf, Elrond and Galadriel could no longer hide them, I guess essentially they were just like any normal rings at that point though.

Im assuming that if they are going to show the 3 revealed by their wearers in the Dol Guldur sequences in the BotFA EE thats a deliberate showing to Sauron? Although I thought that the 3 were supposed to stay hidden from Sauron, unless I have missed something here?
lotrjw
Citizen of Imladris

Postby darthgandalf99 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:10 pm

The reason they can be seen at the Grey Havens is that the Three no longer need to be hidden or secret in any way, and the bearers can wear their rings openly.
I'm not sure that the power switched off and that the rings became visible to mortal eyes at the moment the One Ring was destroyed - the speculation is more that the power of the Three would fade, than that their power would extinguish outright.

And I'm not sure you've missed anything - Galadriel going into Dol Guldur alone without any footwear makes about as much sense as flashing her ring in Sauron's face, which could happen, who knows. However, as Gandalf seems to leave before Sauron appears, it is probable Sauron won't be visually present when the Ring showcase occurs.
darthgandalf99
Shield Bearer

Postby lotrjw » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:54 am

darthgandalf99 wrote:The reason they can be seen at the Grey Havens is that the Three no longer need to be hidden or secret in any way, and the bearers can wear their rings openly.
I'm not sure that the power switched off and that the rings became visible to mortal eyes at the moment the One Ring was destroyed - the speculation is more that the power of the Three would fade, than that their power would extinguish outright.

And I'm not sure you've missed anything - Galadriel going into Dol Guldur alone without any footwear makes about as much sense as flashing her ring in Sauron's face, which could happen, who knows. However, as Gandalf seems to leave before Sauron appears, it is probable Sauron won't be visually present when the Ring showcase occurs.

Ah ok I'm with you now so some of the Dol Guldur stuff is, as we already knew anyway, a bit off in the films.
lotrjw
Citizen of Imladris

Return to Movies - The Hobbit