Box set...Hobbit, LOTR Trilogy...all of it...?

The Hobbit is in production as 3 separate films, and will be released 1 year apart, with the first due December 2012. Head in to discuss your thoughts and reactions, and post any questions you might have about these films.

Box set...Hobbit, LOTR Trilogy...all of it...?

Postby djb10315 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:02 am

Hey guys...awesome forum! I've always been a huge fan...books as a child, I LOVED the animated movies which I now own on DVD, and yes I love all the movies too. They don't tell the story as it always reads but they're great movies for what they are.

That being said, I'm a little detached from the Tolkien world and was wondering what to expect for the Hobbit movies on DVD/Blu Ray...

I don't want to waste money buying them all individually on Blu Ray but I want my collection complete...can we expect...

-Full box set of the 3 movies or maybe even all 6?
-Extended edition box set
-"Theatrical Versions" as they did with the LOTR series?

I will personally purchase the Theatrical versions as they are always much better priced and I have the first 2 Hobbit with the extra footage already.

Does anyone know what to expect?

Thanks in advance!
djb10315
Petitioner to the Council

Re: Box set...Hobbit, LOTR Trilogy...all of it...?

Postby lotrjw » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:43 am

They will most likely do a box set of all 3 Hobbit films in theatrical and extended when first the theatrical then extended of BotFA come out. They are also likely to do a box set of all 6 theatrical, then all 6 extended films so that the LotR and Hobbit films are together. I assume that the DVD sets will be similar to the BluRay sets but just without 3D versions of the films.
I would guess that the 3 film Hobbit sets will contain the same content as their individual counterparts, so all individual inside cases in one large outer sleeve, so as to make the big 3film set easy. Although with the 6 film set Jackson might have some extras for us as he has hinted at putting the scene of Bilbo finding the ring from the Hobbit film into the Fellowship film for better continuity between them so if he wants to do this then he may have other extras planned?
If you have the extended editions of the first two Hobbit films then you could buy the last extended edition and get the theatrical box set and put the 2D or 3D version (well just2D if you only have the DVD) of the extended films into the theatrical box set box and display that on your shelf. In fact if you don't have a big 3 part boxset for the LotR films you could even get the 6 film box set of the theatrical versions and if you then have all the extended versions to go in there you could put them in. I'm assuming that there would only be space for each hobbit film in 2D or3D (well just2D if you only have the DVD) as I imagine that there was only ever one scaled down extras disk with the theatrical versions.
I'm actually thinking of buying the theatrical set of all 6 films myself so I could do something like this, in fact I eventually want to make my own fan edits of all the films when I can get the equipment to do so and see what space there is to put the disks in as I would like the appendices of all the extended films together in one box with my perfect edits in the another and then the other extras all in another box. Then put all of that into the big outer box for all 6 films, with the only things missing being the audio commentaries, but they can go into another box together if I really want them as they would still be on the originals. This is just me though.
lotrjw
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Grzyby15 » Mon May 18, 2015 6:11 am

More and more boxsets are being released every year. I usually wait about 2-3 years before I buy any.
Grzyby15

Postby MrsSmeagol » Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:40 pm

In one of the Extended 'Making Ofs', PJ mentioned having the overall aim of making a boxed set of the 6 films, so no doubt that is happening.

I'd love to see some Aragorn and Gandalf in pursuit of Gollum inserts. Pick ups like that not gonna happen though. :wink:
MrsSmeagol
Shield Bearer

Postby Karrahahu1 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:52 am

I assume that the DVD sets will be similar to the BluRay sets but just without 3D versions of the films.????

Link removed by White Council Moderator
Last edited by heliona on Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Link removed by White Council Moderator
Karrahahu1

Return to Movies - The Hobbit