Who plays the Auctioneer?

The Hobbit is in production as 3 separate films, and will be released 1 year apart, with the first due December 2012. Head in to discuss your thoughts and reactions, and post any questions you might have about these films.

Who plays the Auctioneer?

Postby Answerguesser » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:15 am

In the final film in the Hobbit trilogy, who is the actor that plays the auctioneer?

Answerguesser
Petitioner to the Council

Re: Who plays the Auctioneer?

Postby solicitr » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:34 pm

What is it that led the films' calligrapher to stick a pointless 'trieresis' or circumflex over every A, as dumb as the silly umlauts sprinkled over metal bands' names?
solicitr
Ranger of the North

Postby ngaur » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:45 pm

solicitr wrote:What is it that led the films' calligrapher to stick a pointless 'trieresis' or circumflex over every A, as dumb as the silly umlauts sprinkled over metal bands' names?

Not to mention a very weird mix of uppercase and lowercase at beginnings of words and in surnames.

I suppose the circumflexes are the attempt to look Tolkienesque without confusing the viewer by using his real character sets. Though good old fashion subtitles might have helped them there had they dared to use them.
ngaur
Ranger of the North

Postby Hobbit_Guy » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:57 pm

[can't figure out how to delete]
Hobbit_Guy
Shield Bearer

Postby wilko185 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:49 am

solicitr wrote:What is it that led the films' calligrapher to stick a pointless 'trieresis' or circumflex over every A, as dumb as the silly umlauts sprinkled over metal bands' names?

Âffectätion?

[edit: to answer the query .. looks like Merv Smith, who is also credited with playing another hobbit..?]
wilko185
Mariner

Postby Aravar » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:17 am

Mooses?
Aravar
Ranger of the North

Postby wilko185 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:01 pm

Ok, I think Aravar's nailed it. Thread's over, goodnight everyone!
wilko185
Mariner

Postby solicitr » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:33 pm

wilko185 wrote:Âffectätion?

:clap: :happydance: :clap: :happydance: :clap:

{Edit: wanted to reference Spinal Tap, but none of my fonts will let me put an umlaut over the N}
solicitr
Ranger of the North

Postby Diamond of Long Cleeve » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:55 am

ngaur wrote:I suppose the circumflexes are the attempt to look Tolkienesque without confusing the viewer by using his real character sets.

Exactly. It's cinematic shorthand, I suppose. Does everything on screen have to be interpreted in a literal way? :)

Though good old fashion subtitles might have helped them there had they dared to use them.

They used sub-titles for Elvish speech!
Diamond of Long Cleeve
Mariner

Postby Aravar » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:08 am

Interesting to know who kept this register in the Anarchy of the Shire. IIRC JRRT didn't like the idea of the hobbits registering at the Prancing Pony in his comment on the draft script he was shown.
Aravar
Ranger of the North

Postby wilko185 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:24 pm

Tolkien, regarding Barliman (Letter #210), wrote:The landlord does not ask Frodo to 'register'! Why should he? There are no police and no government. (Neither do I make him number his rooms.)

On the other hand, there can be other reasons than an overbearing state to keep a "register", and I don't think that "registered auctioneers" - a professional occupation in the heartland of the Shire - strikes quite such a wrong note as Frodo "registering" at the Prancing Pony. Hobbits may be anarchists, but they also liked to have some degree of tedious order (they like "books filled with things that they already knew, set out fair and square with no contradictions" ).
wilko185
Mariner

Postby Aravar » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:14 am

Of course, whether there are sufficient auctioneers in the Shire to require registration is another question.

Its surprising that it takes so little time in the Shire to presume death. The common law presumption in England is seven years. Given that the hobbits require more stringent formality for wills than the Wills Act, it is surprising that they are laxer in presuming death. Maybe Lobelia through Otho browbeat someone into submission.
Aravar
Ranger of the North

Postby Frelga » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:47 am

Yeah, but the English kept going off all over the creation, while the hobbits stay firmly at home. Except for an occasional Took.
"You start running they'll never let you stop. You stand up, push back... Can't say no forever right?"
―Steve Rogers, Captain America: The First Avenger
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby original wombat » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:45 am

the answer to the original question is Merv Smith
original wombat
Citizen of Imladris

Return to Movies - The Hobbit