BOFA EE scenes speculation

The Hobbit is in production as 3 separate films, and will be released 1 year apart, with the first due December 2012. Head in to discuss your thoughts and reactions, and post any questions you might have about these films.

BOFA EE scenes speculation

Postby RyersonSonOfRyer » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:24 am

Hey guys, this thread will only be about what you think the extended edition of the third hobbit film will be like. We are supposed to get about 30 minutes of extended scenes.
Speculate away!
RyersonSonOfRyer
Citizen of Imladris

Re: BOFA EE scenes speculation

Postby Voronwe_the_Faithful » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:12 pm

This is a very good summary of what we know might be in, based on interviews, material in tie-in books, etc., from "Grimbeorn15" at TORN:

1. 2:00- Gandalf has a vision of Sauron/Smaug before being rescued Dol-Guldor (this is mentioned in detail in the Weta Chronicles book). This may serve as a prologue of sorts or more likely be intercut with Smaug destruction on lakedown.
2. 2:00- Extended Bard on the rooftops sequence (filming for this was confirmed by Luke Evans and a couple of shots appear in trailers) and extended material with Bofur being a hero in Laketown (confirmed by Boyens).
3. 2:00- Additional Dol Guldor. There’s been a lot of talk about additional material with Sauron and possibly the plantir. I don’t expect too much, but I’d be shocked if we didn’t see some additions. The editing felt too brisk.
4. 2:00- Radaghast gives Gandalf his staff most likely after the battle of Dol Guldor. Radaghast also meets up with Beorn and discusses the upcoming battle.
5. 1:00- Azog leading the armies of orcs.
6. 1:00- Bilbo’s dialog with Bofur (or possibly Bombur according to a comment made by Boyens) before he departs with the Arkenstone.
7. 4:00- Dwarven Battle Rams and misc. additional fighting sequences. The charging rams appeared in the trailers and there are a wide variety of creatures detailed in the Chronicles book. There’s also the elves firing arrows and dwarves ballista’s in the trailers. Several interviews include comments on more battle sequences.
8. 1:00- Misc. Thorin, Gandalf and Bilbo additional dialog as featured in the trailer.
9. 3:00- Dwarf Chariot Sequence. This will be in the extended edition as confirmed by Joe Letiri. Thorin will say his, “I’m going to kill that piece of filth” line and leave for Ravenhill. Balin will drive the others and be attacked by wargs and trolls. Kili, Fili and Dwalin will cut the rams loose, scale the mountainside and meet Thorin on top of Ravenhill (details from the Chronicles book)
10. 1:00- Alfrid is consumed by a giant troll. This is confirmed in the Chronicles book.
11. 2:00- Beorn and Eagles fighting in the battle. This seems like a given, but again Peter Jackson specifically mentioned more Beorn and issues with the PG-13 rating.
12. 2:00- Beorn carries a dead Thorin off the battle field and to his funeral (this is alluded to in the Chronicles book).
13. 3:00- The funeral of Thorin, Kili and Fili (as mentioned by Armitage and featured in the Chronicles book).
14. 2:00- Dain’s coronation as detailed in the Chronicles book. Closure regarding Bard’s story line and the passing of the Arkenstone to Dain (or possible buried with Thorin). This is only assumption I am making on this list, but it seems to make sense.
15. 2:00- Troll Shaws. The Weta Chronicles book details Bilbo’s return journey and a stop in trollshaw for the chest.

Much of this, of course, is not likely to be included (I would be shocked, for instance, if Beorn carried Thorin's body off the battle field), but all has been filmed, or at least considered.

Edited to add: I see that this is not mentioned as part of the potential Dol Guldur additions, but Philippa Boyens specifically mentioned that there will be references to the Three Rings in the EE as part of the White Council/Dol Guldur plotline.
Voronwe_the_Faithful
Mariner

Postby solicitr » Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:33 pm

Voronwe_the_Faithful wrote:
Edited to add: I see that this is not mentioned as part of the potential Dol Guldur additions, but Philippa Boyens specifically mentioned that there will be references to the Three Rings in the EE as part of the White Council/Dol Guldur plotline.

"Of the Three it is not permitted to speak."
solicitr
Ranger of the North

Postby Aredhel Ar-Feiniel » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:26 pm

Dain's coronation, and the Elvenking's receipt of the "White Gems of Lasgalen"/Emeralds of Girion? I would have liked to see the division of the treasure and a bit more of the journey back, and perhaps the return journey by the borders of Mirkwood... the ending was too abrupt, no mention of what happened to the people of Laketown, Bard, or the Elvenking even. Hopefully some of those loose ends might be tied up in the EE.
:?
Aredhel Ar-Feiniel
Citizen of Imladris

Postby ngaur » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:02 pm

10. 1:00- Alfrid is consumed by a giant troll. This is confirmed in the Chronicles book.

That would be a pity. Thought him not getting his come-uppance was one of the interesting choices.
ngaur
Ranger of the North

Postby RyersonSonOfRyer » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:26 pm

I hope we get a longer scene of Bilbo crying, it really pissed me off how it cut so quickly to Tauriel. Like, were the people who made this movie completely careless??
RyersonSonOfRyer
Citizen of Imladris

Postby lotrjw » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:17 am

It's getting close now, I have mine on pre order already in anticipation. I hope it's full of good extas whatever they put in, even if it ends up being around the 4 hours mark like Return of the King was. In fact the longer the better as there could be some real gems for a fanedit.
lotrjw
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Nerdanel » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:14 am

ngaur wrote:

That would be a pity. Thought him not getting his come-uppance was one of the interesting choices.

PJ really seems to want to adhere to the standard Hollywood formula as closely as possible. Sad. Tolkien's original book was actually a rather unconventional narrative and remains unconventional even today. The book is classic for a reason, but PJ's movie trilogy falls far from that.
Nerdanel
Ranger of the North

Postby Mithfânion » Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:11 am

The EE is out now digitally.
I've not seen it yet but there are many reviews that speak of improvement and disappointment at the same time.

Apparently some really nice stuff is included in the extra 20 minutes. On the other hand Beorn continues to be very much shortchanged and the whole "Beorn at Dol Guldur" plotline that they shot is not in the EE either.
Mithfânion
Ringbearer

Postby Voronwe_the_Faithful » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:24 am

Thank goodness the Beorn in Dol Guldur was left out. I really hated the idea.

The extended edition really is a great improvement, particularly on the battle itself. The whole Ravenhill thing makes much more sense now. And the chariot scene is one of the best action sequences that Jackson has ever directed. It really is pretty shocking that it was left out of the theatrical edition. It really seems like the type of thing that he would have wanted to include. There is also some very nice character moments, particularly between Bofur and Bilbo.
Voronwe_the_Faithful
Mariner

Postby LleuLlewGyffes » Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:50 pm

I must agree with Voronwe. It is astonishing that Peter Jackson cut the chariot chase from the theatrical release. It is so Jackson, incorporating all that "Keystone Cops" whimsy, with suitable head chopping, we have grown to love. It is exactly what Professor Tolkien envisaged as he wrote the book, and incorporated it into his complex "mythology for the English" world, I am sure. I can imagine his nod of approval for the "Gatling bow" would have been almost as effusive as his cheering for the barrels out of bond Donkey Kong of the preceding offering...

However, I feel none of this would have thrilled him so much as the sad demise of Alfrid. Setting aside the peculiar mechanics of a gold coin that only possesses weight once it has stopped spinning, I am certain Tolkien would have been delighted by the depiction of Gandalf with his short-circuiting staff. Had the damp got into the connection between blue crystal and mount? Alas, we will never know.

So it is over. And so worth the wait. Wasn't it?
LleuLlewGyffes
Citizen of Imladris

Postby original wombat » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:36 am

Voronwe_the_Faithful wrote:This is a very good summary of what we know might be in, based on interviews, material in tie-in books, etc., from "Grimbeorn15" at TORN:

1. 2:00- Gandalf has a vision of Sauron/Smaug before being rescued Dol-Guldor (this is mentioned in detail in the Weta Chronicles book). This may serve as a prologue of sorts or more likely be intercut with Smaug destruction on lakedown.
2. 2:00- Extended Bard on the rooftops sequence (filming for this was confirmed by Luke Evans and a couple of shots appear in trailers) and extended material with Bofur being a hero in Laketown (confirmed by Boyens).
3. 2:00- Additional Dol Guldor. There’s been a lot of talk about additional material with Sauron and possibly the plantir. I don’t expect too much, but I’d be shocked if we didn’t see some additions. The editing felt too brisk.
4. 2:00- Radaghast gives Gandalf his staff most likely after the battle of Dol Guldor. Radaghast also meets up with Beorn and discusses the upcoming battle.
5. 1:00- Azog leading the armies of orcs.
6. 1:00- Bilbo’s dialog with Bofur (or possibly Bombur according to a comment made by Boyens) before he departs with the Arkenstone.
7. 4:00- Dwarven Battle Rams and misc. additional fighting sequences. The charging rams appeared in the trailers and there are a wide variety of creatures detailed in the Chronicles book. There’s also the elves firing arrows and dwarves ballista’s in the trailers. Several interviews include comments on more battle sequences.
8. 1:00- Misc. Thorin, Gandalf and Bilbo additional dialog as featured in the trailer.
9. 3:00- Dwarf Chariot Sequence. This will be in the extended edition as confirmed by Joe Letiri. Thorin will say his, “I’m going to kill that piece of filth” line and leave for Ravenhill. Balin will drive the others and be attacked by wargs and trolls. Kili, Fili and Dwalin will cut the rams loose, scale the mountainside and meet Thorin on top of Ravenhill (details from the Chronicles book)
11. 2:00- Beorn and Eagles fighting in the battle. This seems like a given, but again Peter Jackson specifically mentioned more Beorn and issues with the PG-13 rating.
12. 2:00- Beorn carries a dead Thorin off the battle field and to his funeral (this is alluded to in the Chronicles book).
13. 3:00- The funeral of Thorin, Kili and Fili (as mentioned by Armitage and featured in the Chronicles book).
14. 2:00- Dain’s coronation as detailed in the Chronicles book. Closure regarding Bard’s story line and the passing of the Arkenstone to Dain (or possible buried with Thorin). This is only assumption I am making on this list, but it seems to make sense.
15. 2:00- Troll Shaws. The Weta Chronicles book details Bilbo’s return journey and a stop in trollshaw for the chest.

Much of this, of course, is not likely to be included (I would be shocked, for instance, if Beorn carried Thorin's body off the battle field), but all has been filmed, or at least considered.

1. Wrong
2. Yes and no. Nothing more with Bofur in Laketown but a few new shots of Smaug chasing Bard across the rooftops and some fitting acrobatics to accompany
3. Yes but oddly all revolving around the Dungeon Master Orc trying to cut the Elven Ring from Gandalf's hand
4. Yes and no. Yes to the lending of the staff but no meeting between Radagast and Beorn
5. Nothing new there that I recall
6. Yes, though Bofur remains unaware that Bilbo has the arkenstone
7. Yes, the rams feature heavily, notably in the new chariot sequence. Lots of new bits from the battle, some quite humourous, including a scene where Bifur's head-axe gets removed and Bombur actually speaks
8. Can't remember
9. Pretty much exactly what happens, including a sad farewell between Dwalin and Balin, who thinks he's sacrificing himself to let them get away (of course he ultimately survives)
10. It's a joke scene. he hides on the launching pad of a trebuchet (good choice), a coin falls out his bag and triggers the mechanism (oh, the irony) and he is catapulted into a Troll's mouth. He's asphixiated and the Troll chokes to death. It's very silly.
11. Yes, there are a few extra shots of Beorn fighting in Bear form, including one where the Eagles save him after he is smothered in Orcs. It's not any more gruesome than any other scene though
12. No.
13. Yes, a wordless sequence. The companions pay silent homage as Gandalf, Radagast and human Beorn look on
14. No coronation, just a couple of shots of Dain wearing the crown. Arkenstone held by Thorin in his tomb so presumably buried with him. Bard doesn't feature in any new material after the horn blowing just after the battle's end
15 Sadly no, the ending from Bilbo saying goodbye to the company of dwarves, remains unchanged
original wombat
Citizen of Imladris

Return to Movies - The Hobbit