Watch all of Gandalf's scenes edited into a single movie: Th

The Hobbit is in production as 3 separate films, and will be released 1 year apart, with the first due December 2012. Head in to discuss your thoughts and reactions, and post any questions you might have about these films.

Watch all of Gandalf's scenes edited into a single movie: Th

Postby DavidKillstein » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:21 am

I’ve edited all of Gandalf’s scenes investigating Dol Guldur into this one (short) film!

watch here: https://vimeo.com/122578580

This is the story of Gandalf the Grey, who’s heard from Beorn and Radagast that evil is lurking in an abandoned fortress. He turns to Saruman but receives no help, but with the encouragement of Galadriel takes off on a quest to discover who the mysterious “necromancer” at Dol Guldur is…
I’ve essentially made a 100%-Hobbit-free Hobbit movie by doing exactly the opposite of my previous cut (a 3-hour Hobbit movie, http://kotaku.com/now-theres-a-three-ho ... 1681224543). This film exists side-by-side with that one, all the events are concurrent while existing as stand-alone pieces.

Thanks for watching!
DavidKillstein
Petitioner to the Council

Re: Watch all of Gandalf's scenes edited into a single movie

Postby wilko185 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:00 pm

Thanks for doing this, we watched this last night, and thought it was well done.

I do like the Thrain/Gandalf material, despite some pointless changes to the storyline. Sauron was well presented (visually at least - the story was a bit incoherent on the manner and extent of his powers); and I think I'm in a minority in liking how they chose to show Galadriel's intervention. I don't think Elrond comes across as particularly wise or masterful when one removes his interaction with the hobbits and dwarves, unfortunately. The whole Rhudaur bit still didn't make much sense to me, and I get the sense that they don't really know what to do with the Witch-king. I thought Radagast provided a nice difference in tone, but I can understand why some people hate him.

This edit was quite entertaining and is nicely paced, but in the end it didn't really make me want to see any fuller version of this secton of the story.
wilko185
Mariner

Postby Spider Spence » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:41 pm

David, I've seen Ryerson's edits, and the ThereAndBackAgain: A Hobbit's Cut edit, but I'd love to see yours, and am having trouble finding it.
Spider Spence
Citizen of Imladris

Postby heliona » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:02 pm

Spider Spence wrote:David, I've seen Ryerson's edits, and the ThereAndBackAgain: A Hobbit's Cut edit, but I'd love to see yours, and am having trouble finding it.

Spider Spence, if you click on the vimeo link that David has provided in the first post, it should take you straight to it. Or, if you click the second link he posted, that takes you to an article, in which is a link to his webpage, which also has links to both his Battle of Dol Guldur video and his three hour edit of The Hobbit. :)
Image<-- Sir Gwaine representing the letter "G" in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby Spider Spence » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:38 am

He says he's taken it down. That's okay; I'm enjoying the cornucopia of fan edits already.
Spider Spence
Citizen of Imladris

Postby heliona » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:43 pm

Spider Spence wrote:He says he's taken it down. That's okay; I'm enjoying the cornucopia of fan edits already.

Ah, that's a shame. The Dol Guldur is still up, though - I just managed to play it. :)
Image<-- Sir Gwaine representing the letter "G" in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby Spider Spence » Fri May 08, 2015 6:07 pm

How is the final edit coming?
Spider Spence
Citizen of Imladris

Return to Movies - The Hobbit