Balin, Son of Fundin, Lord of Moria

The Hobbit is in production as 3 separate films, and will be released 1 year apart, with the first due December 2012. Head in to discuss your thoughts and reactions, and post any questions you might have about these films.

Balin, Son of Fundin, Lord of Moria

Postby Spirit_of_the_Willow » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:05 pm

It occurred to me last night that the way they characterized Balin in the movies created kind of a discrepancy in his character. With how concerned he is about the greed of the Dwarves, and how reluctant he was to reclaim Erebor, would he really be the one to lead a band to Moria? I have a hard time imagining it. Any thoughts?
Spirit_of_the_Willow
Ranger of the North

Re: Balin, Son of Fundin, Lord of Moria

Postby lotrjw » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:10 am

I guess Tolkien didn't give a huge amount of information on Balin, so we will never know for sure what his thoughts on it would be.
However after reclaiming Erebor it's possible he might have had a change of heart about things, especially since Moria didn't have a dragon to contend with, just orca mostly. Yes it had the Balrog but unlike the dragon I think if you left that well alone you probably were ok. Gandalf had to fight it I guess to save the rest of the fellowship as it had already been disterbed.
lotrjw
Citizen of Imladris

Postby ngaur » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:03 pm

Balin didn't go Moria out of greed. Nor even for Mithril though doubtless he hoped to find that there.

He went because it was the ancient home of his house, the house of Durin.

It is not known how much he knew of the Balrog. The Dwarves must have had written history about the Balrog, and none that suggested it to be gone. And Dain who was now king under the mountain had been into Moria briefly after Nanduhirion and more or less confirmed that an ancient evil was still there. Balin might have disbelieved him of course, or figured that the Balrog surely was dead by now. Possibly also the chance of discovering Thrors old ring outweighed any risk in the venture.
ngaur
Ranger of the North

Postby Billobob » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:43 am

ngaur wrote:Balin didn't go Moria out of greed. Nor even for Mithril though doubtless he hoped to find that there.

He went because it was the ancient home of his house, the house of Durin.

It is not known how much he knew of the Balrog. The Dwarves must have had written history about the Balrog, and none that suggested it to be gone. And Dain who was now king under the mountain had been into Moria briefly after Nanduhirion and more or less confirmed that an ancient evil was still there. Balin might have disbelieved him of course, or figured that the Balrog surely was dead by now. Possibly also the chance of discovering Thrors old ring outweighed any risk in the venture.

Yeah I think Balin didn't care for riches as much as reclaiming the glory of his ancestors. As for the Balrog no one knew what the terror down in Moira was until Gandalf killed it.
Billobob
Rider of the Mark

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:56 pm

Just echoing what ngaur said, only with other words. ;)

There was more to Moria than just Mithril, though that would have been a big draw, even for Balin...it's the best armor in the world. And we caught a glimpse of how amazing and beautiful Moria was at one time...that in and of itself would be good reason to try and reclaim it.

And for all his dislike of greed...Balin was still a dwarf...and treasure would still have been attractive. He was more worried about how greed was transforming Thorin into a jerk on a massive scale. At his age, he could find balance between love of treasure and love of other things.

Always...

"I'd rather kiss a Wookie..."

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck
I can't brain today. I have the dumb.

Return to Movies - The Hobbit