The Battle of the Five Armies Extended Editon

The Hobbit is in production as 3 separate films, and will be released 1 year apart, with the first due December 2012. Head in to discuss your thoughts and reactions, and post any questions you might have about these films.

The Battle of the Five Armies Extended Editon

Postby lotrjw » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:31 pm

I am suprised that no one seems to be talking about this on here as it's coming out this month!
lotrjw
Citizen of Imladris

Re: The Battle of the Five Armies Extended Editon

Postby solicitr » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:08 pm

solicitr
Ranger of the North

Postby lotrjw » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:38 am

solicitr wrote:I'm surprised there hasn't been any comment on this: Peter Jackson: 'I didn’t know what the hell I was doing' when I made The Hobbit

Well doesnt that explain a lot, did know that he had less time to prepare, but the fact he had to make it up as he went along it does show in the way it was finished off. It can feel as if it was maybe rushed or something, its definitely not as well done as Lord of the Rings, but I will say they still managed to do something of a good job.
I do however wish that they had kept closer to the book even with adding the back story!
lotrjw
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Voronwe_the_Faithful » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:27 pm

lotrjw wrote:
solicitr wrote:I'm surprised there hasn't been any comment on this: Peter Jackson: 'I didn’t know what the hell I was doing' when I made The Hobbit

Well doesnt that explain a lot, did know that he had less time to prepare, but the fact he had to make it up as he went along it does show in the way it was finished off. It can feel as if it was maybe rushed or something, its definitely not as well done as Lord of the Rings, but I will say they still managed to do something of a good job.
I do however wish that they had kept closer to the book even with adding the back story!

If you watch the full version in the appendices, you will see that that video is very deceptively edited. Here is the statement that Wingnut Films has put out in response:

The You Tube clip is a 6min cutdown of a 45min featurette (one of many) from the recent Battle of the Five Armies Extended Cut DVD, entitled “The Gathering Clouds” [sic]. Somebody has decided to create this cutdown using only the sections of “The Gathering Clouds” that discuss the difficulties faced, not the positive ways they were addressed and overcome – which are also covered in this and other featurettes.

Peter has never made a secret of the fact that he took over the Hobbit directing job with very little preparation time remaining before shooting had to begin. It was a challenge he willingly took on. His comments are an honest reflection of his own personal feelings at times during the movie’s production.

However they are not a reflection of either the actual production of these 3 movies – which was very tight, professional, happy, and finished on schedule and budget – nor do they reflect the finished result. Peter is very proud of the 3 Hobbit movies, and actually regards this period as one of his happiest film making experiences – something he has said publicly many times.

Shifting 2 months of shooting from 2012 into 2013 to allow the long and very complex battle sequence to be properly planned and shot, had no impact on the budget or release date. It is exactly what any responsible director should do, given the compressed pre-production time Peter had for these 3 technically difficult movies.

Ever since The Frighteners, Peter has tried to provide fans with honest, detailed, “warts and all” behind the scenes featurettes – compared to the usual bland Hollywood publicity material seen on most other DVDs. It’s a little sad to see desperate media outlets hijack this honesty to feed their ravenous appetite for negative sensationalism.
Voronwe_the_Faithful
Mariner

Postby lotrjw » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:31 pm

Voronwe_the_Faithful wrote:
lotrjw wrote:

If you watch the full version in the appendices, you will see that that video is very deceptively edited. Here is the statement that Wingnut Films has put out in response:

The You Tube clip is a 6min cutdown of a 45min featurette (one of many) from the recent Battle of the Five Armies Extended Cut DVD, entitled “The Gathering Clouds” [sic]. Somebody has decided to create this cutdown using only the sections of “The Gathering Clouds” that discuss the difficulties faced, not the positive ways they were addressed and overcome – which are also covered in this and other featurettes.

Peter has never made a secret of the fact that he took over the Hobbit directing job with very little preparation time remaining before shooting had to begin. It was a challenge he willingly took on. His comments are an honest reflection of his own personal feelings at times during the movie’s production.

However they are not a reflection of either the actual production of these 3 movies – which was very tight, professional, happy, and finished on schedule and budget – nor do they reflect the finished result. Peter is very proud of the 3 Hobbit movies, and actually regards this period as one of his happiest film making experiences – something he has said publicly many times.

Shifting 2 months of shooting from 2012 into 2013 to allow the long and very complex battle sequence to be properly planned and shot, had no impact on the budget or release date. It is exactly what any responsible director should do, given the compressed pre-production time Peter had for these 3 technically difficult movies.

Ever since The Frighteners, Peter has tried to provide fans with honest, detailed, “warts and all” behind the scenes featurettes – compared to the usual bland Hollywood publicity material seen on most other DVDs. It’s a little sad to see desperate media outlets hijack this honesty to feed their ravenous appetite for negative sensationalism.

OK I didnt realize that this was taken from a cleverly edited extract (which I actually havent seen), Im currently watching bits of the appendices from The Battle of the Five Armies Extended Edition each day at the moment as its understandably very long!
I am actually seeing more of what Wingnut Films are talking about as I watch. They did very well to do as good a job as they did considering the situation, I see that the battle is much better in the extended edition, which as they say is because they moved the filing back for that so they could do more prep.

I just cant help thinking that the whole thing could have been even closer to the book if they had had that prep time before filming. Oh well there is always fanedits for that I guess, they are still good films though.
lotrjw
Citizen of Imladris

Postby lotrjw » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:15 pm

After watching about 75% of the The Battle of the Five Armies Extended Edition Appendices, Its quite something seeing what they have to say about the situation of not having a good plan for filming ect.
I now see why the battle was less fleshed out in the Theatrical version eg Elves and Dwarves fighting and the chariot scene ect. Its a real shame that that is the result of Peter Jackson not being able to plan things as he should have, although it was worth the wait from July to December last year for the release date and the delay on actually shooting the battle.

Some amazing facts though like 96% of all shots of the film had some form of digital replacement and something like 20% were entirely CG! I like the fact Peter did digital filming in getting the camera angles in CG shots ect.
lotrjw
Citizen of Imladris

Postby ngaur » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:16 pm

I just cant help thinking that the whole thing could have been even closer to the book if they had had that prep time before filming.

Experience with LotRs suggest a no to this question, but really the hobbit movies overextended the book and would have failed in this regard no matter who directed and how long the would have been to prepare.

The only interesting bit in the article was this.

we didn’t wind the clock back a year and a half and give me a year and a half prep to design the movie, which was different to what he was doing,” reveals Jackson.

Del Toros direction would have been substantially different.
ngaur
Ranger of the North

Postby heliona » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:32 pm

Have any UK people managed to get their hands on a copy of the Extended Edition with the Weta figurine? I can't seem to find it anywhere. :cry2:
Image<-- Sir Gwaine representing the letter "G" in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Return to Movies - The Hobbit