Did Beorn need a bigger role in "The Battle of Five Armies"?

The Hobbit is in production as 3 separate films, and will be released 1 year apart, with the first due December 2012. Head in to discuss your thoughts and reactions, and post any questions you might have about these films.

Did Beorn need a bigger role in "The Battle of Five Armies"?

Postby Chariot Rider » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:08 am

Beorn is one of my favorite characters from the hobbit. He is a shapeshifting bear man who lives alone and has awesome animal workers. That is why I was sort of upset when in the third hobbit movie he had 2 seconds of screen time. Beorn was crucial to that battle. He killed Bolg, not the gravity defying legolas. I bet they didn't show more Beorn because that would get in the way of the tariel love story. Come on Jackson! Get your prioritys straight. Giant bear man or non existent elf. Does anyone feel that Beorn should have had a bigger role in TBOFA or is this just me?
Chariot Rider
Shield Bearer

Re: Did Beorn need a bigger role in "The Battle of Five Armi

Postby Lalaith-Elerrina » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:35 pm

I agree with you very very much. I didn't like Tauriel's dysfunctional relationship with Kili and the way the fact that he sexually harassed her and she caved to it, was put across as acceptable, even laudable behavior. And I was bitterly disappointed in the fact that Beorn was given much less screen time. One thing I had hoped for, was seeing him in the battle.
Lalaith-Elerrina
Ringbearer

Postby DarkLittleHobbit » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:47 pm

I would have love it if they had given Beorn more protagonism. I have to say that I´m not very pleased with Tauriel existence (I don´t see the point on putting her there, why? Just my opinion) and I would have prefer to see in the battle of five armies more scenes of Beorn, who is not really shown with the importance he have. I always liked this character, by the way. I find it quite of interesting.

P.S: Sorry if I do something wrong, I´m new here and this is the first time I reply a post :Q
DarkLittleHobbit
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Denethor » Thu May 19, 2016 6:30 am

Either cut Beorn altogether (and he is perfectly OK to cut), or do him properly. Jackson did neither.
Denethor
Ranger of the North

Postby brodobaggins » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:57 am

A bit more bear would have been cool. But that battle was boring anyway, so it doesn't matter so much.
brodobaggins
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Hasan006 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:34 pm

He was supposed to kill Bolg and his bodyguards like in the book, but I knew Legolas was going to do that back when they introduced the forced and unnecessary rivalry between him and Bolg that didn't make any sense.
Hasan006
Petitioner to the Council

Postby AlatarVinyamar » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:12 am

Was there more Beorn in the extended cut? I haven't got round to it yet.
AlatarVinyamar
Ranger of the North

Postby heliona » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:42 am

I believe that there was (I also haven't got around to watching it yet).
Image<-- Sir Gwaine representing the letter "G" in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby LleuLlewGyffes » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:49 pm

I think the fact Tolkien "fanatics" have not felt it necessary to view the extended film is commentary enough. The Hobbit trilogy, theatre or extended DVD, are fatally flawed, succumbing to the worst criticism: they're tedious.
LleuLlewGyffes
Citizen of Imladris

Return to Movies - The Hobbit