Original 1977 version of the Hobbit

The Hobbit is in production as 3 separate films, and will be released 1 year apart, with the first due December 2012. Head in to discuss your thoughts and reactions, and post any questions you might have about these films.

Original 1977 version of the Hobbit

Postby Eleftheria » Sun May 01, 2016 11:35 pm

I grew up on the 1977 cartoon version and I wanted to see if anyone else was a fan of that particular version. I was hoping to hear what your favorite parts of the movie were if you did enjoy it! One of the best parts for me was in the beginning with the dwarves raiding Bilbo's kitchen singing "Crack the dishes, break the plates, that's what Bilbo Baggins hates! So carefully, carefully with the plates!"
Eleftheria
Petitioner to the Council

Re: Original 1977 version of the Hobbit

Postby Denethor » Wed May 18, 2016 7:06 pm

Just finished watching it for the first time.

After the endless bloat of the Jackson version, to see the entire story wrapped up in one 77 minute film was really something. To be honest, they did about as well as they could with that sort of timeframe - cutting Beorn and the Arkenstone makes sense in context, even if the latter arguably undercuts Bilbo's characterisation (and makes Thorin less of an arsehole). Alternatively, Gollum and Thranduil looked ridiculous, there were multiple plot holes with Bilbo knowing stuff he shouldn't, and Bard and Thranduil really were the thieves Thorin accused them of being. And they killed Bombur - the monsters!

It's a good deal better than the Rankin Bass Return of the King (which I watched last night), if only because it's actually relatively coherent. It really could have benefited from another half an hour running time though.
Denethor
Ranger of the North

Return to Movies - The Hobbit