Guild of the Golden Wood

Are you involved in Turbine's Massively Multiplayer Online Role-playing Game? Talk about your experiences and more in here!

Guild of the Golden Wood

Postby Edemardil » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:26 am

Hello! I actually only started finally playing this game a while back. But I have created a kinship there based on a Guild of Rangers from the Golden Wood from the series of stories that I wrote. *Soon to be published online btw* If anyone is looking for a kinship please friend request me so I can get you added! Not much involved. Just helping people out and sharing.

Thanks!

Edemardil "this is always my screen name for things"
Last edited by Edemardil on Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Edemardil
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Old_Tom_Bombadil » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:26 pm

I'm a little confused about the name 'Guild of Rangers from the Golden Wood'. 'The Golden Wood' is a moniker bestowed upon Lothlórien, the home of the Galadhrim. All of its inhabitants are Elven. The Rangers are all Dúnedain. They are skilled in hunting and woodcraft, yes, but they are all Men. Also, I don't think the term Guild is appropriate to describe a group of Rangers. I believe Tolkien would most likely use the term 'Company'.

The name'Guild of Rangers from the Golden Wood' makes me think that perhaps a company of Dúnedain jewelsmiths and woodworkers have made an arrangement with the Galadhrim to manufacture an exclusive line of cuckoo clocks using the wood of the mallyrn that grow there.
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Ranger of the North

Postby Edemardil » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:16 pm

Well Mr. Bombadil, being that it is involved in a game which is inside a fantasy world I think I have every right to create a Club, Guide, Pride, Tribe or whatever I want. That is what makes it mine. I never stated that it was accurate to the lore or anything such. I did however state that I wrote a series that had a group of Rangers who held that name. Maybe you missed this and I quote,

"I have created a kinship there based on a Guild of Rangers from the Golden Wood from the series of Books that I wrote"

I should have underlined the "I wrote" portion so that certain people would understand.

I know all about the Lore of tLOTR and I do not need a lesson in that. I appreciate your banter though. Once again it is something that I created and I fortunately have the right to create what I wish so long as it is within the law. Also with the link you so kindly attached the first definition of Guild perfectly describes what a "band" of Rangers could be considered as doing. And to quote again
An association of persons of the same trade or pursuits, formed to protect mutual interests and maintain standards./quote]

I wish that Mr. Tolkien, rest his soul, were here to have started my LOTRO Kinship so that I could have had the proper terminology. Also the name is in fact "The Guild of the Golden Wood", which says nothing about Rangers. However in the books they are a guild primarily of Rangers. Yep, a guild.
Edemardil
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Old_Tom_Bombadil » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:54 pm

Edemardil wrote:Also the name is in fact "The Guild of the Golden Wood", which says nothing about Rangers.
Do they make cuckoo clocks?
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Ranger of the North

Postby Edemardil » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:28 pm

Old_Tom_Bombadil wrote:
Edemardil wrote:Also the name is in fact "The Guild of the Golden Wood", which says nothing about Rangers.
Do they make cuckoo clocks?

No they make Tom Bombadil action figures and sell them in Combe.
Edemardil
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Old_Tom_Bombadil » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:00 pm

No? Well, if they do take up the trade please let me know.

You have inspired me to write my own story about the Dwarven Goatriders of Rohan. When the Riders aren't thundering across the plains on their majestic goats they mine the Glittering Caves of Aglarond for precious crystals, which can be used in the art of clockmaking.

If the Rangers of the Guild of the Golden Wood cannot be persuaded to make cuckoo clocks perhaps the Hobbit Smiths of Taur-nu-Fuin will make them.
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Ranger of the North

Postby Edemardil » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:57 am

Old_Tom_Bombadil wrote:No? Well, if they do take up the trade please let me know.

You have inspired me to write my own story about the Dwarven Goatriders of Rohan. When the Riders aren't thundering across the plains on their majestic goats they mine the Glittering Caves of Aglarond for precious crystals, which can be used in the art of clockmaking.

If the Rangers of the Guild of the Golden Wood cannot be persuaded to make cuckoo clocks perhaps the Hobbit Smiths of Taur-nu-Fuin will make them.

I assume that all of this is your attempt at insult. I would like to once again remind you that in my original post I said that my Kinship (in a computer game) is based on a 'Guide of Rangers from the Golden Wood which is from a book series I wrote.'
Let me break this down for you because apparently you do not understand and find that insulting people is the proper route towards what I assume makes you feel 'cool' and 'witty'. A book series, I wrote, not based off of any other book, series, saga, tale etc...Which means that something called a 'Golden Wood' could be any number of things. A forest MADE entirely of gold. A forest with golden trees or leaves. A piece of wood that is golden and is worshiped by a group of followers...I could most certainly go on, but I find defending myself to someone who calls a creature that should ONLY be described as 'Ancient' or 'Ageless'...as...'Old', is the tipping point towards actually starting a guild to make cuckoo clocks...
Edemardil
Citizen of Imladris

Postby kilderkin » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:58 am

This is a site about Tolkien. When you say "Golden Wood" it is only natural to think of Lothlorien, not a literal forest made of metal. The use of "Ranger" also recalls to mind a group of descendents of the northern Dunedain.

Imagine going to a Harry Potter forum and talking about a "Guild of Quidditch Muggles" that was about the world you made up where Quidditch was a type of beer and Muggles were wooden tankards. Would people get confused? Of course they would.
kilderkin
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Old_Tom_Bombadil » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:21 pm

Kilderkin, thank you for your analogy. :)

Edemardil wrote:I could most certainly go on, but I find defending myself to someone who calls a creature that should ONLY be described as 'Ancient' or 'Ageless'...as...'Old'

Don't blame me for the 'Old' in Old Tom Bombadil. That was the idea of some silly Oxford Professor:

Old Tom Bombadil water-lilies bringing
Comes hopping home again. Can you hear him singing?
Source: Tolkien, J.R.R. The Fellowship of the Ring. George Allen & Unwin Ltd., 1954.

Reeds by the shady pool, lilies on the water:
Old Tom Bombadil and the River-daugher!
Source: Ibid.

Old Tom Bombadil is a merry fellow;
bright blue his jacket is and his boots are yellow.

'Hey there!' cried Tom, glancing towards him with a most seeing look in his shining eyes. 'Hey! Come Frodo, there! Where be you a-going? Old Tom Bombadil's not as blind as that yet. Take off your golden ring!...'

Old Tom Bombadil is a merry fellow;
bright blue his jacket is and his boots are yellow.
None has ever caught him yet, for Tom he is the master:
His songs are stronger songs, and his feet are faster.

'...By now, my jolly Lumpkin, old Tom's going to ride...'

Old Tom Bombadil was a merry fellow;
bright blue his jacket was and his boots were yellow,
green were his girdle and his breeches all of leather;
he wore in his tall hat a swan-wing feather.
He lived up under Hill, where the Withywindle
ran from a grassy well down into the dingle...

Rain had passed. The sky was clear, and in the summer gloaming
Old Tom Bombadil laughed as he came homing...

Old Tom Bombadil lay upon his pillow
sweeter than Goldberry, quieter than the Willow...

Wise old Bombadil, he was a wary fellow;
bright blue his jacket was, and his boots were yellow.
None over caught old Tom in upland or in dingle,
walking the forest-paths, or by the Withywindle...

Old Tom Bombadil had a merry wedding,
crowned all with buttercups, hat and feather shedding...

Old Tom Bombadil heeded not the voices,
taps, knocks, dancing feet, all the nightly noises...
Source: Tolkien, J.R.R. The Adventures of Tom Bombadil. George Allen & Unwin Ltd., 1962.

It's rather ironic that your Rangers from the Golden Wood, who are not Dúnedain and not from Lothlórien, are selling the Tom Bombadil action figures they've crafted in Combe. (I suppose that this Tom Bombadil is not a short bearded fellow who lives in the Old Forest and that Combe is not a village in the Bree-lands, or if they are it's an Old Forest where all the trees are petrified and Combe is perched on top of the head of a gigantic rooster?) Tom Bombadil began his existence as an action figure:

Tom Bombadil was a well-known figure in the Tolkien family, for the character was based on a Dutch doll that belonged to Michael.

Source: Carpenter, Humphrey. J.R.R. Tolkien, a biography. Houghton Mifflin, 1977.
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Ranger of the North

Postby Athelian » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:23 pm

*wanders in*

Hello! I know the title of this forum doesn't say so but this is the message board for Servants of the Secret Fire kinship on the Landroval server.

There is another section of the forums for general posting about The Lord of the Rings Online game.

*mutters about Boffo being too lazy to change the title of the forum*
Athelian
Rider of the Mark

Postby Rorgloin » Sun May 01, 2011 6:08 pm

*bows* Rorgloin at your service! Yes, but what is the market price of cuckoo clocks in Eriador? If the cuckoo clocks sell well in the golden wood, to the point that a guild has been formed not only to protect the business interests of those involved, but has been formed by rangers to protect the cuckoo clocks from being stolen by bandits and unlawfuls, then what is the market price in Eriador-- the Shire for example. The prices must be magnificent! And think of the great consumer presence in the Shire. Now, if the cuckoo clocks were labelled DALE, then even those hobbits who did not need clocks would purchase them. . . transport would hardly be an issue if the dwarven goat riders of Rohan were used to transport them! A fine business venture for Rorgloin and Company to undertake. Lady Athelian, benevolent benefactor-- funding please?
Rorgloin
Shield Bearer

Postby Redstonne » Sun May 01, 2011 9:15 pm

What folks are really missing is the revealing of seediness this whole effort brings about. We hear hobbits called burglars and think kindly of them, but I've been to the mathom house and guess what is in every nook, cranny, closet, and strewn around the shelves. Cuckoo clocks, tons of them!

Now, before you go thinking that's cute of those darn lovely hobbits, you must understand these hobbits are evil and clutch society's center of gravity. By hoarding the clocks, they control the prices in Eriador. They are also controlling the rate of technology growth as well as ensuring only their technology makes it to market. This is one of the worst examples of stifling of capitalism by hobbitism that I've ever seen, and worse yet, it's an attack on the Dwarves!

What, you say? How can hoarding cuckoo clocks? Think, how many of Rorgloin's company would have survived the climb over the Misty Mountains if they had had a properly working cuckoo clock. In fact, with the right clock, and I saw two in the mathom house, the company would have succeeded on their 4th ascent.

Now, what I can't figure out is why are rangers protecting the cuckoo clocks? Are the rangers in cahoots with the hobbits? What kickbacks do they get? Special prices on special pipe weed?

Oh, and I did hear on good account that the hobbits in the mathom house are secretly transferring stuff to the goblins in Gringotts.
Redstonne
Petitioner to the Council

Return to The Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar