Lord of the Rings Online:Shadows of Angmar:Goes Open Beta!

Are you involved in Turbine's Massively Multiplayer Online Role-playing Game? Talk about your experiences and more in here!

Postby Klonkku » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:43 am

I'm still waiting for my invite... x)

Hopefully soon, though. :)
Panic-free for 10 years and counting!
Klonkku
Ringbearer

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:49 am

Got mine for the stress test. :)

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck
I can't brain today. I have the dumb.

Postby Boromir209 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:55 am

Klonkku, if you dont get one soon, swing an email my way. Soccercrazed@sbcglobal.net

Boromir209
Boromir209
Ranger of the North

Postby MattyBoy » Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:03 am

Klonkku wrote:I'm still waiting for my invite... x)

Hopefully soon, though. :)

Ditto :P :roll:
MattyBoy
Ranger of the North

Postby Klonkku » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:53 pm

Boromir209 wrote:Klonkku, if you dont get one soon, swing an email my way. Soccercrazed@sbcglobal.net

Boromir209

Sent you an e-mail. :)

Sorry Matty, Boromir just asked me first. ;)
Klonkku
Ringbearer

Postby Klonkku » Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:14 am

Boromir, since you don't have a Premiere Membership and I can't send you a private message, I want to thank you publicly. I will test the beta today - thank you for sending me the e-mail. :)
Klonkku
Ringbearer

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:59 pm

I just got invited for the regular BETA testing. :shock:

What do I do? :shock:

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck

Postby ~WyrtWif~ » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:22 am

You follow all the really long instructions they sent you in the email! :lol:

It's about like this:
1. Make an account
2. Download the file (takes more than an hour)
3. Install the file (takes another hour)
4. Run the game which will load updates (takes about 30 minutes)
5. You're in! Play!

Anyway, now that the NDA has been lifted and we can SAY we're in the beta - Hi! I've been in the beta since last August.

The first several months of the game, it was almost a chore to play, although there are a couple of really nice places I would love to visit and would go anyway (Russock Bog at night <3 !! ). I hated the lag and how low I had to turn down my graphics settings for the first beta, but now they've updated several things and have provided more options for turning down other people's character details, which seems to have helped my lag issues a bit.

So the graphics look really, um, non-detailed to me, but I am coming from Guild Wars, which uses instancing to separate players and allows for much greater detail (gorgeous!). So LOTRO is an adjustment for me since all the players are in the world everywhere at the same time.

The play is ok, I don't really want to quest, I just want to play my hobbit in the Shire and grow Longbottom Leaf (yes you get to do this!). But it seems to get the experience, tools, and equipment necessary, you will need to do some traveling whether you want to or not.

I haven't gotten very far into the crafting/farming, as it seemed I would be so reluctant to play due to lag issues, that I never got a character past lvl 10. Max level is something like 40.

In short:

1. Graphics are so-so because my computer is so-so
2. The world, the maps, the places are AWESOME!!
3. Crafting/farming is kinda fun, could be better
4. Tons of improvements have been made, more should be coming
5. If you get in and pre-order now, they give an option to buy the game ($200) outright with no subscription fee (the fee will be $10/mo American) but I probably won't buy it because I just can't afford it - so I'm in until beta ends!

Lastly, have you guys formed a kinship? I have a group that I've been playing with from theoldergamers (TOG) but if my friends from here have made a kinship, I'd rather play with you since none of my Guild Wars friends are in the TOG kinship.

So, is there a TORC guild???? :?:

edit: P.S. Add me to your friends list in-game if you wanna say hi - character name is Grevillea on the Melandor (spelling might be wrong there) server!
~WyrtWif~
Shield Bearer

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:53 am

Ok, yes! I am ready! Whee! :D THANKS!!

Yes, guys, if y'all have formed a kinship/whatever (this is my first MORPG) please tell me, and WyrtWif. I'd hate to wander in and have no friends whatsoever. *bats eyelashes*

IrisBrandybuck

Postby Ted » Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:10 pm

I'm playing on Brandywine as Theodwad. If TORC is going to create a kinship, I would love to join.
Ted
Ranger of the North

Postby Gandalf'sMother » Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:11 pm

Does anyone in Beta have any opinion on which home area, out of the Dwarf, Elf, Hobbit or Man, is the most beautiful in terms of immersion?

-MM
Gandalf'sMother
Ringbearer

Postby Klonkku » Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:54 am

Old forest has gotten a lot of positive feedback, I hear. :)

I am now joining the EU Beta ( I already terminated my US Beta character ), since a few of my friends got their keys as well. I will be writing extensive impressions soon.
Klonkku
Ringbearer

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:12 am

I haven't had a chance to join yet...hopefully this weekend I'll have some time to do that. I might have to take some stuff off of my computer...well, heck, I need to do that anyhow!

IrisBrandybuck

Postby motorwife » Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:17 pm

All I have to say so far is SQUEEEEEEEE !!!!

I've never played a MMORPG before even though my husband and kids are complete World of Warcraft freaks and have been trying to suck me in.

This game is fantastic ! I've only just begun to learn how to play, but I'm having a great time.
motorwife
Rider of the Mark

Postby Boromir209 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:11 am

Klonkku wrote:Boromir, since you don't have a Premiere Membership and I can't send you a private message, I want to thank you publicly. I will test the beta today - thank you for sending me the e-mail. :)

Hey no problem, I figured no use in letting the spot go to waste.
Boromir209
Boromir209
Ranger of the North

Wonderful

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:51 pm

Hi all. Long time lurker (since years before the movies) here.

Just wanted to let you all know that LOTRO is the single most authentic Middle Earth product I have encountered. The designers have stayed within the context of Middle Earth in the late Third Age in a very interesting way. As magic was something rare and special in Tolkien's works, in the LOTRO game it is treated as such. For example, traditional high fantasy healer-types rely on magic spells to cure. To get around this conflict, LOTRO treats battle damage as demoralization. Therefore, minstrels are the healers in this game. They play a nifty little tune, and their teammates perk right up! Traditional high fantasy mages are replaced by folks more similar to alchemists, etc.

Now, I'm not altogether certain that this formula will lead to a successful game in the long run, but we should all give kudos to the designers for their efforts to remain true to Tolkien's spirit.

Postby Elladan_Elfhelm » Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:13 am

Ah, tis been a long time since I posted in this thread. With the NDA in effect I couldn't tell any of you I was in beta since last August. I have seen this game progress a lot since the Alpha stage, and its gotten better each time. Still has some issues that need to be worked out, but the Devs are hard at work there.

The game is now of course in Open Beta, and as a Founder (A Preorder person) you can play now and your character will progress into the Live game when that starts on April 24th.

And now we have a new forum for the game here, which is great. I am on the Elendilmir server as of now, and I am still greatly enjoying this wonderful game. :)
Elladan_Elfhelm
Mariner

Postby motorwife » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:20 am

So you'd be a good person to ask questions of? There are so many aspects of the game that I find confusing and I could really use some help. I'm on Elendilmir also !
motorwife
Rider of the Mark

Postby Elladan_Elfhelm » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:18 pm

Send me a /tell any time. My character name is Elrosar :)
Elladan_Elfhelm
Mariner

Postby motorwife » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:38 pm

/tell ?? What is that? Can you see I still have a lot to learn ?
motorwife
Rider of the Mark

Postby Elladan_Elfhelm » Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:03 pm

motorwife wrote:/tell ?? What is that? Can you see I still have a lot to learn ?

:P You're fine. When you are in game down in your chat bar you can send a message a /tell to someone else who is on at the same time. In the chat bar type: /tell Elrosar then type your message and hit enter.

Also if someone sends you a /tell you can directly reply to them by typing: /r then your message and hit enter.

What is your character's name and I will add you to my friends list. I'm usually on after 9pm EDT.
Elladan_Elfhelm
Mariner

Postby motorwife » Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:55 pm

Thanks for the info ! I'm Niphrediel. We're taking the kids camping for spring break so I won't be on again for a while, but please add me. I'll add you to my friends list. (if I can figure out how to do that :) )
motorwife
Rider of the Mark

Postby Elladan_Elfhelm » Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:48 am

Motorwife, At the bottom of your screen is a panel with several icons on it. Find them one that says: Social Panel. Click on it and you will see a menu pop up that has a Fellowship tab, a Friends tab, Kinship tab, and a Raid tab. Click on the Friends tab and you will see an Add button. Click it and type Elrosar then add, and now I will be on your list. :)

Here is a great site to help with the User Interface:

http://www.lotrointerface.com/index.php ... alkthrough

Page 3 has that Social Panel walkthrough I just mentioned. I'll add you to mine. :)
Elladan_Elfhelm
Mariner

Postby vincent » Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:46 am

I'm on Gladden names Vincente, send me a tell if you play that server.
vincent
Ranger of the North

Postby MattyBoy » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:17 am

Ive started a thread for Europeans who want to register their interest. Please go to the Euro thread in the TORC LOTRO forum.

Cheers! :)
MattyBoy
Ranger of the North

Previous

Return to The Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar