Lord of the Rings Online:Shadows of Angmar:Goes Open Beta!

Are you involved in Turbine's Massively Multiplayer Online Role-playing Game? Talk about your experiences and more in here!

Lord of the Rings Online:Shadows of Angmar:Goes Open Beta!

Postby Elladan_Elfhelm » Tue May 09, 2006 11:59 am

It looks like we are getting closer to this game finally becoming a reality. I'm only a causal gamer. I don't have the time available to play much, but I have been interested in this one ever since I first read about it.

Here is a link to the game's website with screenshots and other info.

If you go to the website you can sign up for a chance to be able to be part of a select group that gets to play the alpha and beta testing phases.
Last edited by Elladan_Elfhelm on Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:14 am, edited 5 times in total.
Elladan_Elfhelm
Mariner

Postby Alys » Thu May 11, 2006 3:59 am

It does look interesting doesn't it Dan :D

I've only recently started playing MMORPG's but I've loved WoW and have high hopes for this one too :) Seems like it's been a long time coming though...
Alys

Postby Klonkku » Thu May 11, 2006 3:52 pm

The lucky ones who live in North America - apply for beta-testing. I would, but I am a finn ( and therefore not allowed to ). :(
Klonkku
Ringbearer

Postby Elladan_Elfhelm » Thu May 11, 2006 7:25 pm

Hey again Alys. It sure has been a long time in coming. I hope the wait will be worth it. ;) Maybe I'll see ya around ME some day. :P

Klonkku, I think they have or will have beta testing for Europe too. I don't know if that would include you or not though. I still need to sign up for it, but no one is guaranteed to get it.

Dan
Elladan_Elfhelm
Mariner

Postby Klonkku » Fri May 12, 2006 12:59 am

I don't know if there will be open beta-testing for Europe - but who knows? Anyways, I am very interested in the game. Granted, MMORPGs usually consume way too much time, but this time... Since it really is a Lord of the Rings MMORPG... I just might get into it :)
Klonkku
Ringbearer

Postby Alys » Sat May 13, 2006 5:17 am

Here's the European sign up for Beta - http://www.lotro-europe.com/beta-signup.php I'm not sure if Finland is included or not...
Alys

Postby Elladan_Elfhelm » Wed May 17, 2006 11:45 am

I've signed up for the Beta. I probably won't get in, but we'll see. On their forums I noticed a lot of Guilds in there. If there are enough of us TORCers we should have our own. :D

Dan
Elladan_Elfhelm
Mariner

Postby Boromir209 » Sat May 20, 2006 10:52 am

*has signed up for the beta*
Boromir209
Boromir209
Ranger of the North

Postby Echo_Starlite » Sat May 20, 2006 10:18 pm

Shadows of Angmar looks AWESOME going by the screencaps that are up on the site.

I love playing mmorpg's and strategy games; Middle Earth and Middle Earth 2 were fun for a while as well, but I've really boon looking forward to this.

Of course I've signed up for the beta. :P

The only thing I'd like would be if they let you play as an orc, troll, uruk hai, etc. like in WOW, but that may have to wait for an expansion or something major. Right now the class systems are good, but I'm conscerned that they might follow the gender-sensitive character profiles of Diablo 2; you can only play as a girl if you want to be a Captain, Burglar, or Hunter.

Also, I'm a bit concerned about the possible proliference of NPC dragons and other such enemies; they usually have the best loot and experience, but games run the risk of of having a drought or a proliference of such beasts, and the fact that LOTRO.com lists them as their own class of encounterable enemies is not a reassuring sign for those of us aware of the fact that there are no dragons living at Weathertop.
Echo_Starlite
Ranger of the North

Postby Elladan_Elfhelm » Tue May 23, 2006 6:58 am

Echo, I thinkall of the classes can be any gender you wish. I don't think that is restricted. I'll try and find something out on that on their forums.

Dan
Elladan_Elfhelm
Mariner

Postby Starshadow » Thu May 25, 2006 11:23 am

I just signed up - it would be nice to get into the beta. I don't play MMORPGs (I've never played any of them); I much prefer classic RPGs. However, this looks like something I could really enjoy.
Starshadow
Ranger of the North

Postby Elladan_Elfhelm » Wed May 31, 2006 1:03 pm

Hey Star, I'm looking forward to it as well, as you can probably already tell. ;) I just don't know how much time I'll be able to spend on it. They have released some info the Race of Men and now Elves on the website. It would be neat to get in the beta test, but who knows. This will be my first MMORPG as well.

Dan
Elladan_Elfhelm
Mariner

Postby dlloyd » Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:11 am

I've been keeping up with this one for a while and am v ery excited that it's finally close to becoming reality (or beta reality, anyway)!

The creators are now releasing tidbits of game info every tuesday and thursday - screenshots, videos, developer diaries, info on races and classes, etc. - go to http://lotro.turbine.com/ to see the latest.

Also, there are numerous kinships (the equivalent of a guild in other games) already formed even though the game is still months away from release (and, in fact, some of them have been around for 3 years or more). I'm a member of the Rangers of Thintaur, which is always looking to add new members but is fairly picky about who is invited (officially, the ability to write in complete sentences and express oneself without vulgarity is a must; unofficially, those lacking a sense of humor won't enjoy their stay much! :) ).
dlloyd
Shield Bearer

Postby Elladan_Elfhelm » Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:41 pm

Hi dlloyd. Thanks for the invite. I just recently joined the Riders of the Riddermark kinship, but I will check yours out too. :)

I'm looking forward to this one. :)

Dan
Elladan_Elfhelm
Mariner

Postby Starshadow » Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:17 am

I've not joined any kinships yet, and am not sure if I will. I think I want to wait until I see the game itself and how the world feels as well as actually see how people role-play before I commit to a kinship.
Starshadow
Ranger of the North

Postby Elladan_Elfhelm » Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:17 pm

Star, I didn't see your answer in here, so I think I asked you the same question in Muster. :P But I do understand where you are coming from.

Dan
Elladan_Elfhelm
Mariner

Postby Starshadow » Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:33 pm

nodnod

Especially since I'm new to the whole MMORPG phenomenon anyway. I am just going to wade in as opposed to doing a cannonball off the diving board. ;)

Thus far, it looks pretty good.
Starshadow
Ranger of the North

Postby MattyBoy » Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:43 am

I just applied for the european beta test. I'll see what happens...
MattyBoy
Ranger of the North

Postby Klonkku » Sat Jun 17, 2006 6:31 am

MattyBoy wrote:I just applied for the european beta test. I'll see what happens...

European Beta Test? I'm so in!
Panic-free for 10 years and counting!
Klonkku
Ringbearer

Postby Elladan_Elfhelm » Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:05 am

Hey Matty and Klonks, :) Hopefully you two will get in. They have some interviews on their website now and will be releasing more as the days go by.

http://www.theonering.com/articles/19872,1.html

Dan
Elladan_Elfhelm
Mariner

Postby Elladan_Elfhelm » Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:23 pm

I was checking out LOTRO's website today and I got some really sad news. Executive Producer Jeffery Steefel will be doing a chat on theonering dot net. Uggggggggggg, why couldn't it be here? :P :roll: ;)

http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/5/1152288395

This is a must read if you're wanting some basic info on the game, but the last part the mods turn everyone loose and you should the number of questions that get asked in a very short amount of time. Poor Jeffery went crazy. :P

http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/8/1152580796
Elladan_Elfhelm
Mariner

Postby Elladan_Elfhelm » Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:13 am

I think we are getting closer to seeing this game. It has entered Alpha now, so that means that Beta testing will be next. Here's another article from Turbine regarding that.

http://lotro.turbine.com/index.php?page ... agebuilder[module]=article&pagebuilder[display_item]=133

LOTRO Alpha Officially Begins!
We're pleased to announce that The Lord of the Rings Online™: Shadows of Angmar™ (LOTRO) has entered Alpha! This means for the first time, a limited number of people outside of Turbine are invited to play the game -- creating characters, fighting Orcs, meeting famous characters, and exploring the vast lands of Middle-earth™.

Over 100,000 fans have signed up for the Beta Program, which includes the Alpha and Beta phases of development. We'll be inviting tens of thousands of additional people into the Beta Program over the coming months.

If you haven't signed up for the Beta Program yet, you can apply at http://www.lotro.com/betasignup for your chance to play LOTRO before it launches!
Elladan_Elfhelm
Mariner

Postby Mungo » Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:53 am

Thank you for the updates, Dan!

I finally decided to sign up and I am now on the beta sign up. Do they really need all the personal info? I am really wary of putting personal stuff online. Oh well. I really wanna play the game so I'm gonna have to. Good thing my parents just got a new kickass desktop. I'm excited about the game.
Mungo
Mariner

Postby Elladan_Elfhelm » Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:41 am

Mungo, hopefully you'll get an invite.
Elladan_Elfhelm
Mariner

Postby Elladan_Elfhelm » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:52 am

The game has gone into Beta testing now. The official release date is now Spring 2007, but that really isn't that far away. :)

http://lotro.turbine.com/article/159

Forth Eorlingas!
Elladan_Elfhelm
Mariner

Postby Starshadow » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:58 am

Not far away at all....and the graphics are pretty darn amazing.
Starshadow
Ranger of the North

Postby HELMHAMMERHAND » Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:27 am

Has the Beta testers been chosen yet?
HELMHAMMERHAND
Ranger of the North

Postby Starshadow » Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:05 am

Helm, beta started about a month ago - and they will continue to add more beta-testers in as time goes on.
Starshadow
Ranger of the North

Postby Elladan_Elfhelm » Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:53 pm

HELMHAMMERHAND wrote:Has the Beta testers been chosen yet?

The game is in Beta now. I saw a nice article and video interview with the CEO of Turbine the other day.

Interview and Video

Looks like a Feb-March 07 release. Its looking good. :)
Elladan_Elfhelm
Mariner

Postby Boromir209 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:08 pm

I just got invited to the Beta stress test, which most people would I guess. But still Im excited, in like two days after the whole thing downloads I'll be more excited :P I mean the download is hugeeeee and im only getting like average 9 KB's a second :(
Boromir209
Boromir209
Ranger of the North

Next

Return to The Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar