You follow all the really long instructions they sent you in the email!
It's about like this:
1. Make an account
2. Download the file (takes more than an hour)
3. Install the file (takes another hour)
4. Run the game which will load updates (takes about 30 minutes)
5. You're in! Play!
Anyway, now that the NDA has been lifted and we can SAY we're in the beta - Hi! I've been in the beta since last August.
The first several months of the game, it was almost a chore to play, although there are a couple of really nice places I would love to visit and would go anyway (Russock Bog at night
!! ). I hated the lag and how low I had to turn down my graphics settings for the first beta, but now they've updated several things and have provided more options for turning down other people's character details, which seems to have helped my lag issues a bit.
So the graphics look really, um, non-detailed to me, but I am coming from Guild Wars, which uses instancing to separate players and allows for much greater detail (gorgeous!). So LOTRO is an adjustment for me since all the players are in the world everywhere at the same time.
The play is ok, I don't really want to quest, I just want to play my hobbit in the Shire and grow Longbottom Leaf (yes you get to do this!). But it seems to get the experience, tools, and equipment necessary, you will need to do some
traveling whether you want to or not.
I haven't gotten very far into the crafting/farming, as it seemed I would be so reluctant to play due to lag issues, that I never got a character past lvl 10. Max level is something like 40.
1. Graphics are so-so because my computer is so-so
2. The world, the maps, the places are AWESOME!!
3. Crafting/farming is kinda fun, could be better
4. Tons of improvements have been made, more should be coming
5. If you get in and pre-order now, they give an option to buy the game ($200) outright with no subscription fee (the fee will be $10/mo American) but I probably won't buy it because I just can't afford it - so I'm in until beta ends!
Lastly, have you guys formed a kinship? I have a group that I've been playing with from theoldergamers (TOG) but if my friends from here have made a kinship, I'd rather play with you since none of my Guild Wars friends are in the TOG kinship.
So, is there a TORC guild????
edit: P.S. Add me to your friends list in-game if you wanna say hi - character name is Grevillea on the Melandor (spelling might be wrong there) server!