This thread is now officially useless

Are you involved in Turbine's Massively Multiplayer Online Role-playing Game? Talk about your experiences and more in here!

This thread is now officially useless

Postby Gandalf'sMother » Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:40 am

Hello all.

Landroval, which has been described and touted as an unofficial RPG server, is, IMO, the place to be, and the place to form a kinship based on a shared TORC experience, light roleplaying, and slightly less of a hardcore gaming ethic in terms of time spent (I have to work and I love my wife!). There will be a plethora of lore appropriate names, lore appropriate talk, and a whole host of hobbits playing with their boots turned off, so you can see their big wooly feet! Also, less worrying about characters named "orliiloveu2007*!" streaking across the screen. Landroval is also expected to be smaller than some of the other servers in terms of players, thus giving it less of a whacked out industrial age population level which kicks you out of Middle Earth a bit (that may, however, change after wide release). I have joined, and will be venturing into the non-instanced world on April 11, 12, or 13th (as soon as my new computer arrives).

I have a male hobbit guardian named Boffo (unusually arrogant for a hobbit, but justified by some Bullroarer blood in him) and a male dwarf named Glibli (a bit of a charmer, as dwarves go). If people are interested in a fuller immersion, then this might be the server for you.

First order of business.

1) Choose a kinship name (post your ideas, and then perhaps there will be a vote)
2) Decide on the level of roleplaying there should be. Always in character, or just generally informed by LOTR, but not always in character
3) The adoption of non TORC members in the future. This is important, as you will meet non TORCers on this server who may be very much appropriate for the kinship. If desired, we could ask applicants to sign onto the boards and use it as a kinship talking space (which could also help Jon and Ted increase traffic). This should be discussed.
4) Communication. This board can serve as the prime space for talk. Alternatively, if people want to speak via skype and other mediums ouside of teh game world, they can opt into that, but are not required to share personal contact info. This can be discussed.

Aside from this, the only strict requirement there should be, IMO, is that the kinship treat the occasional players who sign on for either short periods each day, or only a few times a week, with not only respect, but with a real helping hand. In other words, since some play less, those who play more should be ready to help with quests, help with issues of gameplay, and help with tools and equipment, whether it be giving someone an unwanted weapon, or just a pat on the back for moral support..... I also think it may be a good idea to settle on being a bridge-building kinship, meaning that we should form fellowships and frienships with other noble-minded kinships, in the spirit of Tolkien's world. As such, I would encourage, although it would be difficult to enforce, a kinship made of characters (if you're going to be a character) that are generally of good intentions. In other words, no sleazeballs and no sexual harassment (although if you want, you can form friendships and even intimate friendships, as long as you do so in a tasteful manner, and keep certain talk in private chat.....) I, personally, am happily married, and will be playing for escapist fun of the clean kind. Tolkien-fun, basically. :)

And then, finally, after all the above dust is settled, I will start the kinship (which as of now I have no idea how to do, so I could use some help there).

So, now that all pleasantries have been set aside, "Who's with me!?"

EDIT: Here's what we have so far (I also welcome the inclusion of crafting information here):

1. Boffo: Hobbit Guardian - Armoursmith - TORC name: Gandalf'sMother
2. Glibli: Dwarf Guardian - ? -TORC name: Gandalf'sMother
3. Freoric: Human Captain - ?-TORC name: Amphiaraus Bis
4. Athelian: Human Guardian - ?-TORC name: motorwife
5. Elladan's character: Hobbit Burglar - ?-TORC name: Elladan_Elfhelm
6. Evanya: Elf Hunter - ?-name: motorwife's sister
7. Gaal: Dwarf Champion-?-name: motorwife's husband
8. Theod: Human-?-?-TORC name: Ted
9. Luindir: Elf Guardian-?-TORC name: Old Bombadil
10. Brockwine: Human Guardian-?-TORC name: Old Bombadil

-Mother Maiar
Last edited by Gandalf'sMother on Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:55 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Gandalf'sMother
Ringbearer

Postby Elladan_Elfhelm » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:54 pm

Hail Mother! :D

And then, finally, after all the above dust is settled, I will start the kinship (which as of now I have no idea how to do, so I could use some help there).

You have to see the Clerk of Kinships to start a Kinship. There is one in Combe, Michel Delving, and I'm sure in Ered Luin some where, and probably other places too. I'm not sure how much it costs to set one up though.

Very good looking Kinship description and rules. I'm trying to think of a good TORC based LOTR name, and I will let you know if anything hits me. I would like to be a part of this, but I must tell you that I am part of a Kinship on the Elendilmir server that I am an officer in. It is my first home, but I sure would like to adventure through Middle Earth with some fellow TORCers. :)

One thing to remember: The Landroval server is only open to those who buy the North American Trubine-Midway version of the game, not the Codemasters European version. Some one in the EU can buy the NA version if they want now though.
Elladan_Elfhelm
Mariner

Postby Gandalf'sMother » Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:55 pm

Elladan, what you don't realize is that TORC is your first home. Your only home! :)

In any event, do join us, and perhaps you'll end up preferring your secondary character, kinship and server?

I also think that this could be a great way of revitalizing the TORC community until the Hobbit movie gets rolling (and beyond). There will be plenty to talk about on everything from the in-game lore to the overall feeling of Turbine's Middle Earth. In recruiting non-TORCers, we can introduce them to the great community that exists here, and get them plugged into a wider network of informed Tolkien geeks. And of course, we will continue to get current TORCers involved, both longtime and shorttime members. Personally, I think this could turn out to be a great community. And let's face it. TORC belongs in Turbine's Middle Earth. As a long respected source of information and debate, it is very well placed to transport itself and its image into the new virtual world of Middle Earth. And what better way to preserve it and build it, than by creating a TORC-specific kinship?

In other words, talking and interacting with TORCers with the sights of Middle Earth all around, sounds like a fabulous idea.

-Mother Maiar
Gandalf'sMother
Ringbearer

Postby Gandalf'sMother » Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:01 pm

Elladan,

I was under the impression that Europeans and North Americans would not be able to play on the same servers anyway. Is this true?

-MM
Gandalf'sMother
Ringbearer

Postby Elladan_Elfhelm » Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:02 am

Gandalf'sMother wrote:Elladan,

I was under the impression that Europeans and North Americans would not be able to play on the same servers anyway. Is this true?

-MM

For a while Turbine and Codemasters were going to block IPs by region, but now some one in Europe can buy a NA copy of the game and play on the NA servers, but if they do that they cannot play on the Euro servers. Highly confusing. :P

In other words, talking and interacting with TORCers with the sights of Middle Earth all around, sounds like a fabulous idea.

I agree completely!!! Still need a good TORC based Kinship name. I'm thinking. I'm thinking.
Elladan_Elfhelm
Mariner

Postby Gandalf'sMother » Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:32 pm

Ok, a TORC-specific but lore appropriate name. Here are some thoughts:

- The House of Jonathan
- The House of Ted
- The Council of Jonathan
- The Council of Ted
- The TORC Kinship
- TORC
- Whistler’s Kin (old reference)
- Servants of the Secret Fire
- Servants of the Mother Maia
- Keepers of the Flame of Anor
- Servants of Ted
- Servants of Jonathan
- Children of the Mother Maia
- Children of Iluvatar
- Children of Ted
- Children of Jonathan
- Birds and Babies
- Eagles and Children

Post your own thoughts and then... um.... all 2 of us will take a vote!

-Mother Maiar
Gandalf'sMother
Ringbearer

Postby Elladan_Elfhelm » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:07 am

MM, those are some good options for a kinship name. I like these myself:

- Birds and Babies
- Eagles and Children
- Whistler’s Kin (old reference)
- Servants of the Secret Fire
- Keepers of the Flame of Anor

I'm going to create a hobbit burglar or minstriel on Landroval. I haven't decided which yet. I can play te burglar class, but I am still learning minstriel class. You have a Guardian I see, so either one would work well with you. I've purposely stayed mostly out of the Shire until live because I wanted to have that new game feeling for myself when the characters are permanent. I'll let you know the name when I get in, and hopefully some others will join us. :)
Elladan_Elfhelm
Mariner

Postby Gandalf'sMother » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:23 am

Elladan,

Excellent, welcome aboard! I will have to wait a few more days to venture out of the beginner instance in Beta, as I am waiting on a higher end computer to arrive (as it is now, my character moves about 100 feet every 10 minutes and the game crashes as soon as I try to finish the first instance). Therefore, I'd say that the first TORCer who has the opportunity should, as soon as we've settled on a name, set up the Kinship. I don't know how one goes about that in terms of cost, but I would agree to cover that as soon as I am able. If you're not comfortable with that, we can all just wait until I get to the appropriate level and create the Kinship.

I personally lean towards Servants of the Secret Fire, but it isn't necessarily TORC-specific (and may already be taken....). Whistler's Kin is very TORC-specific, as it is in reference to a veteran, venerable and brilliantly comic TORC member who has been likened to Mark Twain. In any event, feel free to suggest some ideas of your own as well.

-Mother Maia
Gandalf'sMother
Ringbearer

Postby Amphiaraus Bis » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:08 pm

I'm up for creating a character on Landroval. I have another group to whom I'm fairly committed on Windfola, so my time on Landroval would be limited to pre-arranged TORC meetings, but that would be fine with me as long as we can come up with times that work.

GM, what do we need, in your opinion? I'm temperamentally best suited, in order, to Minstrel, Captain, and Guardian.

Servants of the Secret Fire works for me!

A charter costs, I think, 1s. The problem is that if you don't have at least 6 members, it dissolves after a day. It'll take me a few hours to get a Landroval character out of the noob area, so I imagine someone else will beat me to it, but we should make sure we have enough people ready to join before we create it.
Amphiaraus Bis
Shield Bearer

Postby Amphiaraus Bis » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:18 pm

As I think about it, shouldn't we have a name in Sindarin, or even Quenya (not that I could construct such a thing)? What would "Servants of the Secret Fire" be in Sindarin?
Amphiaraus Bis
Shield Bearer

Postby Amphiaraus Bis » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:27 pm

OK, here's a shot at "people of the secret fire" in Quenya:

lie muina naruo

That's using one of the on-line resources, whose reliability I have no way of checking--but it's a start. . . feel free to poke at it, please!

EDIT: or, in Sindarin

gwaith naur dolen
Amphiaraus Bis
Shield Bearer

Postby Gandalf'sMother » Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:06 am

Amph,

What do you mean it dissolves after a day? Does the Kinship actually dissolve?

I like the Sindarin rendition better. But can anyone get their hands on the word for servant? I think there are a few experts in the Books (Tolkien) forum.

-Mother Maia
Gandalf'sMother
Ringbearer

Postby Amphiaraus Bis » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:18 am

Yes, I think the Kinship actually ceases to exist after 24 hours if there are fewer than six members. I don't know, though, whether you can inflate the kinship by means of your own characters, though I kind of doubt it.

I looked for a word for servant, but I couldn't find one--nor could I think of a context in which one might find it used. But there are many around here more expert than I, I believe! I'll check to see if I cand find a way to say "aide" or "helper."
Amphiaraus Bis
Shield Bearer

Postby Amphiaraus Bis » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:32 am

I may have a word for "servant"--based on the verb root "buio" "to serve," and the formation "-on" for an agent: thus "servants" may perhaps be rendered buionin.

buionin naur dolen, perhaps.
Amphiaraus Bis
Shield Bearer

Postby Elladan_Elfhelm » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:52 pm

I haven;t had a chance to get on Landroval tonight, but I will see what I can do about this weekend maybe.

And yes 6 must be in the kinship within 24 hours, but alts will cover those spots too. :)

I like Servants of the Secret Fire. That's Jonathan's title. ;)

Birds and the Babies has a nice touch to it too. :D
Elladan_Elfhelm
Mariner

Postby Amphiaraus Bis » Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:32 pm

I just made my Landroval character: Freoric, Man Captain.

I'll add Boffo and Glibli. Add me when you get a chance, please!

I have voice, BTW--how about you guys?
Amphiaraus Bis
Shield Bearer

Postby Gandalf'sMother » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:08 am

It was suggested in the Books forum by MithLuin that Servants of the Secret Fire might be:

Núror Muinaréva

I, however, would personally lean towards the name being rendered in the common tongue (perhaps with the Sindarin or Quenya name in parentheses?) What do you guys think?

In the meantime, I will add Freoric! And I will begin playing tonight!

-Mother Maia
Gandalf'sMother
Ringbearer

Postby Amphiaraus Bis » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:53 am

It's your baby, GM--so if you want it in Westron, let it be in Westron! Obviously, that's a more hobbitish perspective, which would be appropriate. I'm still inclined to Sindarin, but happy to be called anything at all, so long as it identifies me with other TORC'ers.
Amphiaraus Bis
Shield Bearer

Postby Amphiaraus Bis » Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:00 am

GM, what's your usual time-window for playing?
Amphiaraus Bis
Shield Bearer

Postby Elladan_Elfhelm » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:10 am

I'm on the EDT in Tennessee, but I'm usually only on after 930pm. I will be honest I am spending a lot of time with my kinship, so I'm going to have to work out a schedule for the TORC one too. I'll let you know my character name when I create him this weekend. Most likely he will be a hobbit burglar.

Are you all doing any crafting? If so we should choose different professions so we can aide each other.
Elladan_Elfhelm
Mariner

Postby Amphiaraus Bis » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:58 am

Elladan, I looked through the thread but couldn't figure out what server you have your Main on. I'm on Windfola, with a Kinship called House of Blackrock.

I guess I'm thinking that it doesn't make sense for me to do any crafting on Landroval, since I'll only be there once or twice a week, but I'd be happy to craft with that time if others wanted to do it that way.

9:30 Eastern works pretty well for me.
Amphiaraus Bis
Shield Bearer

Postby Gandalf'sMother » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:05 am

EDT 10:00PM - 12:30AM will probably be the usual for me. I'm in Washington DC. Weekends will vary. I'm just not entirely sure how my schedule will pan out. Ideally, we will attract such a high number of great people that someone will usually always be on... :)

Amph,

I think I might go for the Common Tongue, with the Sindarin in parentheses.

-Mother Maiar
Gandalf'sMother
Ringbearer

Postby Amphiaraus Bis » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:13 am

Sounds, good, GM! That timing works pretty well for me, too.
Amphiaraus Bis
Shield Bearer

Postby motorwife » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:20 am

I'm back from my Mount Shasta camping trip and ready to jump in !

I like the idea of letting non-TORC people in the kinship as my husband and my sister, both Tolkien fanatics but non TORC members, are excited about the idea of playing with other like minded people.

As far as the name goes, anything Mother Maiar chooses is fine.

I'll also create a character according to what we need to add to the kinship to balance it, so let me know. It doesn't matter to me if I'm a champion, guardian, hobbit or human. Just let me know what we need.

I can't guarantee a certain amount of time per week as I share this computer with the entire household and I also have to feed and water said household. But I'll be there when I can!
motorwife
Rider of the Mark

Postby Elladan_Elfhelm » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:41 am

Amph, I'm on the Elendilmir server with the Riders of the Riddermark Kinship. I have a male Captain of Rohan. :) Forth Eorlingas!

If you're not going to do anything specific crafting wise you can be an Explorer and just gather stuff. I want to try out Historian for once if no one else is doing it.

MM, when are you going to create the Kinship? If you do it tonight we'll need to add some alts so it will stay in effect.

So Servants of the Secret Fire. Nice. :)

Motorwife, just choose what you like most. Lots of options. :)
Elladan_Elfhelm
Mariner

Postby Amphiaraus Bis » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:33 pm

I just snuck on for a bit and got Freoric out of the starting area. Maybe we can do without the actual Kinship for a little while? I don't relish the thought of going through the starting area again so soon. Or maybe Level 1's can join Kinships--I'm not sure about that. If so, I'm happy to make a few alts tonight.
Amphiaraus Bis
Shield Bearer

Postby motorwife » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:59 pm

My Landroval character is named Athelian. A human guardian. The guardian appealed to the mom in me I guess.

Right now I'm in Archet so I'll wait for the rest of you to get situated and I'll put you on my friends list.
motorwife
Rider of the Mark

Postby Amphiaraus Bis » Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:48 am

Many thanks to the admirable Guardian Boffo Bolger of (presumably) Budgeford, for the excellent sport last night!

As we wandered the lanes of the Shire, I found myself unable to remember why I had come all the way from Rohan, but I've finally decided that I'm a restless soul, and decided to leave my home in the West Fold to see more of this Middle Earth. My journeys--now therein's a story. Where's my steed? Well, I don't like to speak of what I find ungrateful.

This Eorling stoops easily, however, to help any creature in need. Indeed, Boffo will give witness that I wanted to aid a strange dwarf who seemed to have lost his way, and was looking at the same way-marker for a good fifteen minutes.

[ooc] I'll make two alts today, so we can get them into the Kinship. And I'll add Athelian.
Amphiaraus Bis
Shield Bearer

Postby Elladan_Elfhelm » Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:40 am

I should be able to get my hobbit burglar going tonight on Landroval. It'll be late most likely before I can get, and I should be on some Saturday too.

So here is a list characters right now:

Boffo: Hobbit Guardian
Freoric: Human Captain
Athelian: Human Guardian
(me): Hobbit Burglar

Well we've got some healing with the Captain, lots of aggro with the Guardians, and some DPS and debuffs with the burglar. I'll post my name tonight when I create him. This will be the first time I have done the Shire quests. I've been saving them. :D

Level 1s can get into the kinship. They just need an in game invite. :)

I hope to see you all soon in Middle Earth. :)

Dan
Elladan_Elfhelm
Mariner

Postby Gandalf'sMother » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:06 am

I can indeed attest to Freoric's empathetic constitution. Although the dwarf did not eventually receive any assistance, the intention to deliver such assistance was clearly there.

Freoric, I must say happily, was also quite receptive to my status, as a hobbit of indisputably noble heritage. My lineage is of the highest order, as adventurous hobbits go. I have a friend, Freregrin, who once had a friend (they don't speak anymore) whose mother had a friend whose great great grandfather once met someone who had brushed up against the great Bullroarer Took in a pub outside Frogmorton.

As such, Freoric understood the weight and gravity of my historical persona, and treated me accordingly. Yes Sir, No Sir, and at your service Sir.

To TORC Landrovallers,

If you want to create alts, thats fine, but otherwise, there need not be a mad rush (although we seem to need only one more). I, personally, would not be too keen on doing starter areas again, so if you don't feel like creating alts, don't, and we'll see if we can recruit others (unless you can join as level 1). However, if you'd like to get this show up and running soon, please be my guest and create all the alts you like. Nonetheless, I have an alternative character, Glibli, who can join as well. In terms of class and race, we've got:

Boffo "the Not-So-Humble": Hobbit Guardian
Glibli: Dwarf Guardian
Freoric: Human Captain
Athelian: Human Guardian
Elladan's character: Hobbit Burglar

An abundance of guardians thus far (I enjoy being able to purchase the latest and finest pieces of armour - sorry). I would like to see a Minstrel, Historian and a Champion, if possible.

If we only need two more, then surely, motorwife's family is more than welcome to join. In fact, I would encourage that they join as soon as possible so that we can get started. They can always sign up to TORC later! (BTW, motorwife, check your Middle Earth mail - my apologies on that).

I look forward to getting swept down the road with you all!

-Mother Maia
Last edited by Gandalf'sMother on Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gandalf'sMother
Ringbearer

Next

Return to The Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar