Warden stuff

The main space for TORC-based Lord of the Rings Online Kinship members and aspirants to join, accept applications for membership, gather, speak, sing, loot, make decisions, and generally take themselves too seriously.

Warden stuff

Postby Redstonne » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:13 am

Last night's Sammath Gul run was very educational for me. I took a look at people's equipment to get some ideas on where to improve mine and also did more research today on warden tanking. Many thanks to all for the ring!

Now, what I wanted to do, was get a review on my change in plans.

I used to cycle through precise blow to pick up threat on mobs. I found that if there's more than about 3 or 4 mobs, that becomes very challenging. So, now my plan is:

Start off with War Cry; affects 10 targets within 10m and I boosted my War Cry threat up on my LI.

Then Exultation of Battle. This is already maxxed on my LI.

Then Conviction, also maxxed on my LI.

Then I'll work on buffs, HOT's, etc. Probably start with Dance of War first, then cycle through depending on what I need.

I changed my traits also, put 5 into Way of the Shield then traited the legendary shield to get the bonus to Conviction. I dumped Grand Master Weapons Training for this one.

So now I would appreciate any review of this plan. Am I on the right track? Thanks all!
Redstonne
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Redstonne » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:50 pm

I also traited master of the spear which gives me a one key access to the warden interrupt.
Redstonne

Postby Tule » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:57 pm

Yes, with groups of enemies I tend to use War Cry to start. It sounds kind of weak but it does have some threat-over-time component. I don't have Master of Fist trait so I can't do this on one key, but I know wardens who do it this way.

If anyone does anything to generate threat right at the start it will steal the aggro on that enemy though. So the important thing for Wardens is to make sure no one does much of anything at the start of the fight. This is the most difficult thing.

Another nasty thing here is the rune-keeper rock. If they put the healing rock down before the fight starts it has a chance of stealing aggro before War Cry does it's job. And of course they run past you so that War Cry doesn't hit them anyway...

I don't use Exultation of Battle that much myself. Maybe I should use it more, but it's a bit time consuming without having all three Mastery traits. I prefer using Conviction myself. If someone is healing or you have a champion, I think Dance of War will transfer more threat than Exultation of Battle will generate but easy no way of measuring.

In a group I'm not often using heal over time early in the fight, those tend to suck my power a lot even with the legacy. But I'll definitely get Wall of Steel in, as that's a natural that does good damage, gives you buff, and interrupts the enemy. Then Dance of War. Sometimes I'll get a block buff in too. However I tend to find that if I focus on getting my buffs up early that I can lose aggro.

So... start off with War Cry, Piercing Cry on boss or main target a couple times, then Conviction, then Wall of Steel every other attack or so in case I need to interrupt, and I'll stack on my bleeds which can add a decent amount of damage/threat, etc. I mostly play it by ear depending on how fight goes.

One example: if adds show up periodically, or if you know they're coming soon, then use Conviction. This is true of that Gorothul fight. Then when an add arrives it'll be more likely to aggro on you and you won't have to chase it down. Plus this works on ranged enemies. Conviction is also great for the group heals when people are taking AoE damage.

Personally, I have Grand Master Weapons Training as a legendary trait. With a spear that does a lot of extra damage which means more threat too. Defiant Challenge (mostly useless, I should dump it), and Way of the Shield. Javelin of Deadly Force I found to be difficult to use effectively, and Way of the Warden I kept forgetting to use.
Tule
Shield Bearer

Postby Dellusion » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:18 am

I use 5 shield and the 2 masteries for class trait. Legendary I use GMWT, Javelin and Shield Capstone.

My LI's have WC, EoB, Conviction and restoration maxed out. So rotations can be different depending on your legacies on your LI.

Group rotation : War Cry (using masteries), EoB (using masteries) , at this point I use whatever I feel I need to use to keep aggro. Sometimes War Cry a second time, Fierce Resolve (if I want to keep the morale leech going, also use mastery to cast) or conviction. After those three, I usually go defense, with shield mastery then maybe a wall of steel. Then I do a constant rotation of conviction, some sort of dps, restoration (depending on my health) and a war cry if I feel the aggro isn't enough.

Single mob: Precise blow (mastery), conviction, then precise blow again. Defense rotation from grouping. Then I use restoration, precise blow, conviction(all three using masteries and minimal 1 symbols) the 4th you can fit whatever you like (defense if shield mastery is down, wall of steel, onslaught, HoT, etc.). Some people may not agree to precise blow the single mob every rotation, but I found that if you have a champ or a hunter in your group, you better be safe than sorry, since your dps is minimal compared to theirs. Also some bosses need to be held in place, so if a hunter pulls the boss, valuable dps will be lost from the rest of the group chasing the boss.
Dellusion

Postby Redstonne » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:41 pm

I hear you on precise blow. Against Dellusion, I do precise blow every round and still lose :).

Many thanks for inputs, I've learned and made changes based on both!
Redstonne

Postby Tule » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:31 pm

I find my warden gets aggro without even trying much of the time. Even in Thror's Coomb where no one is actively trying to reduce threat and instead are trying to do as much damage as possible, I'll have the enemies facing me if I get in the first attack and keep up the damage and bleeds.
Tule
Shield Bearer

Postby Redstonne » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:59 am

I have found significant improvement in capability with the master moves. They take much less time and less power than doing the two moves together and they avoid some of the debuffs that would normally restrict execution of a single move. I also don't have to be in range to use a mastery, so as a mob is coming to me, I can have a 4 moves lined up ready to receive him when he does get to me. In short, I'm probably 50% more effective by using the master moves.
Redstonne

Return to Servants of the Secret Fire: Lord of the Rings Online Kinship