Update 6 Class Changes

The main space for TORC-based Lord of the Rings Online Kinship members and aspirants to join, accept applications for membership, gather, speak, sing, loot, make decisions, and generally take themselves too seriously.

Update 6 Class Changes

Postby kilderkin » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:32 pm

During the hour and a half download for the Update 6, I am reading over the class changes for RK and Warden.

Complexity overload. what was Turbine thinking?

Definitely nonplussed.
kilderkin
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Tule » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:04 pm

I don't know rationale about rune keeper, but warden was seriously in trouble since Isengard. They did not necessarily need to rewrite so much but they did need to do something. Basically their mitigation had gone down and it was hard to get it built up early in a tough fight while keeping threat off of the rest of the party. So Wardens were mostly ignored in a lot of raids.

It is sort of nice to add a more DPS oriented stance, to balance a guardian's overpower stance. So that if you're not the main tank you still have something useful to do. (and unlike overpower you don't need to bring a second weapon necessarily) The ranged stance though has a few problems and needs some work.

I haven't tried it out yet but one problem I see is that they define "tanking" too narrowly. As in a lot of skills you want when tanking aren't in the tanking stance (bleeds and morale drain).

On the other hand, there was a post on forums from a Guardian who complained that he wanted a class rewrite and that it was unfair that Guardian was left alone for so long :-)
Tule
Shield Bearer

Postby kilderkin » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:50 pm

Having played a *different* game these past few weeks, I am starting to understand how complex LOTRO truly is. They lure you in with just a couple of skills, and only give you new ones every level or so. But by the time you're 75 you're expected to be able to dance to a very intricate choreography. And then then go make changes to your class and you have to learn it all over. Like switching a dance from 3/4 to 5/8 time.

Fixes are fine, but these changes went way beyond fixes.
kilderkin
Citizen of Imladris

Return to Servants of the Secret Fire: Lord of the Rings Online Kinship