Servant's Structure of Government

The main space for TORC-based Lord of the Rings Online Kinship members and aspirants to join, accept applications for membership, gather, speak, sing, loot, make decisions, and generally take themselves too seriously.

Servant's Structure of Government

Postby Gandalf'sMother » Wed May 02, 2007 1:45 pm

Athelian, Chief of the Servants of the Secret Fire and Keeper of the Council

Members of The Council, aka: The Elder Servants of the Flame Imperishable, aka The Tenders of the Fire:

1. TBD (Chief Council Servant of the Flame Imperishable and Co-Keeper of the Kinship Treasury). Athelian will be The Steward of the Chiefdom Until Challenged
2. Rorgloin Ironshield (Council Servant of the Flame Imperishable, Founder and Representative of Rorgloin and Company)
3. Adrien (Council Servant of the Flame Imperishable and Representative of the Edain)
5.Kaelodo(Council Servant of the Flame Imperishable and Coordinator of Great Deeds and Hilarious Parties)
5. Ulfi (Council Servant of the Flame Imperishable and Recruitment Czar Ordinaire)
6. Lauran (Council Servant of the Flame Imperishable, Chief Crafter and Primary Aide to New Kinship Members)
7. Davidius(Council Servant of the Flame Imperishable, and Grand Leader of the End-Game Hordes)

Members of Elite Guard of the Flame Imperishable:

1. Finduilion/ Freoric(Chief Elite Guard of the Flame Imperishable and Commander of the Dreadnought Fellowship)
2. Calimahir/ Falsco(Elite Guard of the Flame Imperishable and Chief of the Servants' Intelligence Agency (S.I.A.))
Representative of Vertically-Challenged Veterans)
4. Furgold (Elite Guard of the Flame Imperishable and Chief of Aggressive Halflings Anonymous (AHA))
5. Map (Elite Guard of the Flame Imperishable, Standard Bearer and Principal Shouter for the Dreadnoughts)

The Council must share all decisions with the Elite Guard via an in-game mail message (or a tell if the member is online) - though the Council is not required to share the entire decision-making process with the Guard (unless, in certain cases, it feels that bringing the Guard into discussions would be useful). If the Elite Guard raises no objections by the end of Dreadnought Day (12AM Pacific), the decision stands. If it raises any objections, the Council must take the opinion into consideration, and then submit a Council-Elite Guard contrasting opinions report to Athelian. In such a case, Athelian will make a decision, or recommend a compromise, which will result in the final action to be implemented.

Main incentives for joining:

1. Recognition and respect within the kinship
2. Opportunity to develop organizational skills
3. The ability to shape the nature of an entire kinship and eventually make it famous within Middle Earth
4. Most importantly, both TORC and in-game special titles (which I am working on with TORC and Turbine)!

Dear Servants,

As indicated in some initial musings on the nature of the Servants of the Secret Fire, and as confirmed by the members of the kinship in its early days of existence, it has been decided that the position of Chief will mimic the broad, vision-setting powers of certain leaders of some of yesteryear's Western European tribes and chiefdoms (and churches) - yet in a manner that is more reminiscent of today's limited Constitutional monarchs in places like the UK and Sweden - or even much like President-Prime Ministerial arrangements in which the Presidents have limited powers of government, yet legitimate powers of statecraft (such as in Italy). This can also be likened to the position of "living donors" of philanthropic foundations. Set the vision and broad agenda, and let everyone else execute it. :)

To realize this, it was decided by the Chief to explicitly declare his decision to devolve most of his power, in both agenda-setting, governance and policing, to a "Council of Elder Servants of the Flame Imperishable" also known as "Tenders of the Fire" - a body whose makeup has yet to be determined. I will retain the power to set the broad policy vision of SotSF, a personal vision which is enshrined in the Kinship's Constitution, yet all other matters of High governance will fall on this body.

This Council will consist of 7 individuals, which symbolically reflects the 7 Deadly Serious Scribblings of the Servants of the Secret Fire, mirrors the 7 Lords of the Valar and the 7 Queens of the Valar (the Valier) and also practically reflects the 7 days of the calendar week. Once the 7 are chosen and inaugurated, a Council vote will determine the "Big Man" of the Council, who will function very much as the "operational Chief" of the entire kinship. That title will tentatively be "The Supreme Servant of the Secret Fire." Less ceremonial titles could be "The Mouth of Athelian", or simply "Chief of Government." or "Chief of Council" This Council Chief will also, if he/she accepts, be designated successor to the Chief, and would succeed in the event of an untimely or timely end to the Chief's rule. This Chief of Council will set the Council's broad agenda and may institute rules of procedure if he or she wishes. The Council can then splinter off and pursue all their various agendas, in the spirit of the Council mandate (which will, in turn, be in line with the 7 Scribblings).

The Council will also have its own thread for Council-Communication only (although members and other leaders could make their voices heard there - as long as it pertained to an issue of agenda-setting and governance). We will work with Jon and Ted to see if we could incorporate your titles into your TORC ID's, and we will see if Turbine could eventually come up with a way of allowing the Chief of Kinship to bestow titles on its members that will be visible in game.

Beyond the initial 7 Council-members, I also have created a sub-group of seven Junior Council members, who could govern in the absence of (or in support of) their seniors. This may be important as the kinship grows. This "junior group" could also coincide with the game's "adoption" system (each senior member's adopted son or daughter could be a junior member). This could prove to be a wonderful means of immersion in Middle Earth. That group will be determined by the Council once it is formed.

The requirements for this Council are, however, somewhat demanding - but will only prove demanding if the player does not enjoy being a leader, or does not have the time for it. Those who wish to hold a position on the Council must be a regular player, and must have the ability to devote a reasonably constructive amount of time to leadership activities. All characters you use, main and alts, will be part of the Council unless that character is in another kinship To apply, please make your voice heard here and plead your case with an indication of how often you will be able to play on a regular basis (and when), and what sort of leadership activities you may have in mind. As an aid for how to plead your case, a recent topic of discussion is the development of Fellowships for every day of the week led by specific leaders with a specific vision in mind. That may be an issue to think about when proposing your nomination (this does not, however, imply that only Council members can do those things). The proposition of regular events of interest to you is also a good thing to mention. A paragraph or two will suffice, yet a more detailed proposal of your potential role and your program of action is welcome.

Anyone in the kinship may apply. But this process will be first come, first serve, in terms of decision-making, as there is an interest in getting this Council going early, so that it can establish legitimacy. I will review applications as they come in, seek advice when necessary, and make decisions based on absolute merit, as opposed to relative merit (as there will be no way to measure against theoretical candidates). As soon as 7 candidates are successful, the application process will close. Once the Council applicants are chosen, I will submit the names of all 7 candidates to the entire kinship for approval. If a simple majority of kinship members objects to any particular Council candidate (s), that applicant will be rendered unsuccessful. The vote choices will be "Yes to All", "No to All" and "Yes to (name of candidate) or "No to (name of candidate)" The votes can be submitted anonymously if one so desires

The Chief and Founder will retain only the power to dissolve any part of the kinship, whether it be the kinship itself, the Council, or particular members. However, it is unlikely that I will use those powers at all. As such, I sit above the Athelian is the only one who can invite, eject, demote or promote members) if the Council decides that, for example, a member has been unforgivably inappropriate, they simply would let me know after examining the evidence and agreeing amongst themselves. I would trust their judgement and remove that person, unless it was 100% clear to me that the Council was wrong or unfair in its decision, in which case I would enter into a discussion. All major decisions would proceed in that way.

In all, however, the Council, and especially the Chief of Council, would be, in all but name, the Chief of the Kinship. The Chief will mostly act as a Founder, guiding the overarching vision.

AMENDMENT July 24, 2007: Due to the original understanding that time spent online is an important factor in determining eligibility for Council, a restructuring of the current Council is in order, and the Dreadnoughts will be designated as members of an Elite Guard (the Elite Veteran Guard of the Fire) which will act as a form of Senior Martial or Military wing of the kinship (a Veteran Chiefs of Staff so to speak - the military in support of the Executive branch- Athelian). That body will not have formal voting powers within the Council, but will have the power of Consultation, meaning that its opinion can be registered and must be taken seriously into consideration on matters of seriousness decided by both Athelian and the Council. They may also weigh in if they feel the kinship is under internal or external threat, and can be bestowed emergency powers by me in the case of a, um, emergency. The Elite Guard MUST be invited to participate in all of the Council final decisions, even though the Guard cannot vote. The Council will be asked to consider the views of the Elite Guard with seriousness, and equivalent, in substance, to the vote of a single Council member. Lastly, as we are not a warmongering kinship, the presence of the Elite Guard only once a week is NOT problematic, and is even desirable in maintaining a peaceful kinship. I, as Chief of the Kinship, will retain the right to appoint Elite Guard members.

The remaining Council members have all expressed (and proven) their intention to be on Landroval on a very regular basis, and as such, are being seriously considered. And to reiterate, the Dreadnoughts maintain a position of great power, and hold the right to vocally intervene if they object to the direction of the kinship, or if they perceive it to be under threat, either culturally or physically (but especially culturally).
Last edited by Gandalf'sMother on Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:49 am, edited 108 times in total.
Gandalf'sMother
Ringbearer

Postby Jorane » Thu May 03, 2007 10:35 am

Though I don't have the time to devote to a leadership position, I applaud your efforts, Boffo, and I stand ready to help the Council in any way I can.

Jorane
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Gandalf'sMother » Mon May 07, 2007 10:22 pm

Anyone? :)
Gandalf'sMother
Ringbearer

Postby Gandalf'sMother » Tue May 08, 2007 7:12 am

Actually, I would say that there is certainly no rush on this (nor should there be). As the kinship grows, and as we bring on members who can make a greater time commitment than many of us here, the Council will form.
Last edited by Gandalf'sMother on Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gandalf'sMother
Ringbearer

Postby Old_Tom_Bombadil » Tue May 08, 2007 7:58 am

Chief Boffo, the ultimate answer to your question or suggestion that Curulinde apply for a leadership position in SotSF, I am afraid that he cannot. Curulinde is a member of a fine company, Blades of Anárion, and it his intention to remain with them for the forseeable future. He treasures his friendships with the Servants, but alas, he cannot be in their kinship.
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Ranger of the North

Postby Gandalf'sMother » Tue May 08, 2007 8:52 am

Curulinde,

I was aware of your involvement with that band of brigands. I must say that I applaud your curious tolerance for such low company as the Blades of Anarion, most of whom are the saddest of wretches, with hamsters for mothers, and fathers who dabbled overmuch in elderberry fragrances.
Last edited by Gandalf'sMother on Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gandalf'sMother
Ringbearer

Postby Lirael » Wed May 09, 2007 1:00 am

Ooh! I want to be the chief librarian!!
Can I, huh? Can I?
Lirael
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Gandalf'sMother » Wed May 09, 2007 8:00 am

Lirael,

You can! :)

Just give me a short description (a few sentences or a few pages, whatever you think is sufficient) of what your duties would be as a Chief Librarian, including your class designation (racial traits will not be a factor), and, most importantly, the amount of time you will generally be spending on LOTRO, so that I can get a sense of how amazingly influential your librarianship will be (as I am sure it would be, given that you are a hand-picked protege of mine)! :wink: If I am impressed, you will soon be admitted into the Council of Elders as Chief Librarian. ;)

In fact, I think it best to admit individuals on a rolling basis. Once your application is made, I will review it, discuss it with any other leaders whose advice I value, and then I will decide!

Lirael, I will add your name as an applicant, with official application noted as pending, if you don't mind.
Gandalf'sMother
Ringbearer

Postby Gandalf'sMother » Tue May 15, 2007 2:46 pm

C'mon now Lirael, I know you have it in you! :)
Gandalf'sMother
Ringbearer

Postby Amphiaraus Bis » Wed May 16, 2007 12:19 pm

Boffo, are you to be found on another board where one might send you a PM?
Amphiaraus Bis
Shield Bearer

Postby Gandalf'sMother » Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:16 am

Lirael,

Can I assume that your post was a formal application? :)

Everyone else,

Feel free to let me know if you'd like to be a part of this. I have begun discussions with Turbine on the addition of a feature which allows the Chief of a kinship to confer special titles upon members of their kinship. If this proves fruitful, all who apply will be eligible to visibly become Council members in-game!

-Mother Maia
Gandalf'sMother
Ringbearer

Postby Athelian » Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:12 pm

May I be social director please? You know....in charge of saying hello to everyone who logs on

That's about the only thing I'd be qualified for.
Athelian
Rider of the Mark

Postby Gandalf'sMother » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:11 am

Athelian,

Thank you for your application to the SotSF Social Director position. It is a very competetive process, and we will notify you shortly if you are either successful or unsuccessful.

-Mother Maia
P.S. Ok, you can be Social Director. :)
Gandalf'sMother
Ringbearer

Postby Gandalf'sMother » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:16 am

Amph,

Let me know if you are interested in this, especially given your leadership role with the Dreadnoughts.
Gandalf'sMother
Ringbearer

Postby Athelian » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:36 am

Thanks Chief! :D
Athelian
Rider of the Mark

Postby Amphiaraus Bis » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:01 pm

Well, now that I see that you've worked through the backlog of other applicants, and that the approval process is moving swiftly :), I'd be happy to serve as "Director of Dreadnought Operations"!
Amphiaraus Bis
Shield Bearer

Postby Gandalf'sMother » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:13 am

Amph,

Despite the intense competition, it looks like you have the job! :)

However, and here's where it gets serious, I would like to get a sense of how often you are on. I know Athelian is on literally 7 days a week, which makes her well-placed to serve her function.

I say this because while within the Council you would be the Dreadnought, or "Fellowing" leader, you also need to commit to having periodic conversations with the other Council members (perhaps scheduled ones), where you could decide on either general or specific issues (such as the recommended expulsion of a member, for example). This could be a once a month or a once every few months sort of thing, or it could be something that was scheduled ad hoc based on crises or questions that arise, so basically, not a huge time commitment, but rather, a willingness to do it if necessary. In terms of perks, I am currently working with Turbine on acquiring the ability to confer additional special status on kinship members, in the form of in-game titles.

In any event, let me know what your availability will be like.
Last edited by Gandalf'sMother on Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gandalf'sMother
Ringbearer

Postby Gandalf'sMother » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:42 am

Amph,

Actually, a great time for Council discussions/ decisions would be on Dreadnought day, given that many are already committed to playing during that time. Perhaps you can ask Dreadnought members, aside from Athelian, if they would be interested in applying for a Council seat? As long as you let them know that it is an intensely competitive and brutally unfair process, it might prove appealing. :)
Last edited by Gandalf'sMother on Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gandalf'sMother
Ringbearer

Postby Athelian » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:14 pm

Am I really on that often? Oh my ! No wonder the kids keep wondering what happened to mom.

:angel:
Athelian
Rider of the Mark

Postby Amphiaraus Bis » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:40 pm

I'd be happy to try to get the rest of the Dreadnoughts to seek seats on the Council. I'm on Windfola Sundays, Mondays, Thursdays, and Fridays, and I could easily pop over to Landroval if there were a decision to be made. I read the board here at least once a day, so if you let me know here when I should be there, everything should work out pretty well.
Amphiaraus Bis
Shield Bearer

Postby Gandalf'sMother » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:51 pm

Sounds great Amph. I will also ask that Council members seek to make themselves available to each other either via skype, email or IM.

Looking forward to the first congregation!
Last edited by Gandalf'sMother on Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gandalf'sMother
Ringbearer

Postby Athelian » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:59 pm

If anyone wants my email address...please send me an ingame tell and I'll be happy to provide it!
Athelian
Rider of the Mark

Postby Elladan_Elfhelm » Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:59 am

Calimahir could be director of Spy and Espionage Operations should the need arise for those types of activities. :P :roll:

Looking good with who you have Boffo. :)
Elladan_Elfhelm
Mariner

Postby Gandalf'sMother » Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:57 pm

Elladan,

How about "Council Chief of Intelligence" responsible for all the activities of the "Servants' Intelligence Agency", also known as the S.I.A, an organization that would be staffed by your own hand-picked crew of spies and deviants (This would also make you the Council Chief of the S.I.A.)?. You could engage in large scale "inspections" of other players and kinships, and report back on what they are up to, why, and what tools, weapons, and equipment combinations are working for them, so as to better inform the Servants of the Secret Fire. You could provide the latest news on the maximization of crafting, or the perfect combinations for certain fellowships, or secret tips on those impossible quests. There is an endless array of useful information you could gather for the benefit of your kin.

This could be interesting. What do you say Elladan? Would you like to the the Council Chief of the S.I.A.?"
Last edited by Gandalf'sMother on Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gandalf'sMother
Ringbearer

Postby Elladan_Elfhelm » Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:44 am

Gandalf'sMother wrote:Elladan,

This could be interesting. What do you say Elladan? Would you like to the the Council Chief of the S.I.A.?"

Sign me I'm ready to go! :D

*Clicks Stealth button and sneaks around to gather information, while liberating a few items along the way* :twisted:
Elladan_Elfhelm
Mariner

Postby Dwin » Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:35 am

It appears that the council lacks representation when it comes to the dwarves. I will happily serve the Servants in any capacity, but am most concerned with dwarf affairs. I am afraid that any council led by men, hobbits, and elves might not understand the needs of its dwarf constituents. Chief Boffo has always been sensitive to dwarf concerns, and I would like to apply in order to keep the kinship and council dwarf-friendly. Thanks for your consideration.
Dwin
Shield Bearer

Postby Gandalf'sMother » Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:45 am

Dwin,

See the above. But remember. Such a position encompasses the representation of other vertically-challenged beings, such as halflings. Are you prepared to speak on behalf of those even shorter than yourself?
Gandalf'sMother
Ringbearer

Postby Dwin » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:07 am

Most definitely. Although I am nearly 3 inches taller than Furgold, I will not let that get to my head. I will represent all halflings and dwarves that the taller folks sometimes overlook.
Dwin
Shield Bearer

Postby Elladan_Elfhelm » Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:32 pm

Dwin wrote: that the taller folks sometimes overlook.

Did someone say something? I could have swore I heard someone talking, but I don't see any one.

8) :roll: :P :twisted:

Oh, its you Dwin! :D ;) I believe you will do well with that posistion. :)
Elladan_Elfhelm
Mariner

Postby Dwin » Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:15 pm

Once I unlock my race trait "head-butt" I think that there will be a spar request in the future, my friend.
Dwin
Shield Bearer

Next

Return to Servants of the Secret Fire: Lord of the Rings Online Kinship