Servant's Structure of Government

The main space for TORC-based Lord of the Rings Online Kinship members and aspirants to join, accept applications for membership, gather, speak, sing, loot, make decisions, and generally take themselves too seriously.

Postby jaix » Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:08 pm

Hello Bollo,

After our discussion last night, and reading what is expected of a Council member, I've decided to apply for a position. Though I'm new, I've already developed a deep fondness for this kinship, and would love to contribute to it as much as I possibly can. I read about your desire to form fellowships for different days of the week, and liked the idea very much. The quests in this game encourage fellowshipping, meeting new people should be part of that experience, but so should journeying with those you know. In addition to weekday fellowships, I think it would be fun to start a thread were a member can post the details of a particular quest they need assistance with. That way the kinship could arrange a particular day of the week to do a certain quest for everyone, and everyone wouldn't be running all over the place (which gets old fast as I learned from my stint as guild leader in Guild Wars). Of course something like that would serve as just a guideline, and would help to organize things, not to exclude other things that everyone would like to do. After all if everyone was questing and wanted to stop and have an impromptu lute session, I'd be right there dancing (as my skills using the number keys is deplorable at best) :). I hope you give me every consideration. I'm available just about every day of the week for at least 3 hours (except for those days when my fiancee may want to play as we share an account). Thanks for considering me!
jaix
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Elladan_Elfhelm » Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:53 am

Dwin wrote:Once I unlock my race trait "head-butt" I think that there will be a spar request in the future, my friend.

Hmmm, well I will be sure my race-trait "Uppercut" is ready for action. ;) A little sparring amongst friends would be pretty funny :D
Elladan_Elfhelm
Mariner

Postby Gandalf'sMother » Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:40 pm

Jaix,

Hello! First, I like your enthusiasm, and from our conversations in-game, I know that you have an interest in a smart, immersive yet enjoyable LOTRO and kinship experience. Second, your availability is a major asset. Many of us are only able to get on a few times a week, and we are definitely looking for Council members who can spend a bit more time on the organizational end of things.

As such, I will offer a position to you with great enthusiasm, unless anyone else objects within the next 12 hours. I would like for you to be "the Council Chief of Fellowship Coordination" although you should feel free to suggest another name if you prefer (possibly something more Tolkienesque?). This would make you in charge of all fellowship coordination, aside from that of the "Dreadnought Fellowship" which is led by Finduilion (Amphiaraus Bis on this website) and which meets regularly every Wednesday.

In such a position, I think the proposals you have already made are spot on, and you should feel free to proceed in their execution immediately, despite the fact that the Council is not yet fully formed.

Let me know if you have any questions, and I would be happy to talk.
Last edited by Gandalf'sMother on Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gandalf'sMother
Ringbearer

Postby jaix » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:27 pm

Hi,

Thanks for accepting my application. If anyone objects to my being on the council (understandable since I'm so new), I will gladly step down, but would still participate however I could. As far as the title goes, I would like something a bit more Tolkein-esque, I guess :). I liked Dwin's title and how it related to his character, so I tried to find one for my character. The only two I could come up with were:

Chief Representative of the Wise (presumptuous at best, though I guess it could relate to a character that is a lore-master :? )

Chief Rhymer of Lore (a reference to the Rhymes of Lore from the books, though I'm not prone to spontaneous rhyming sessions :lol: )

If either are too much, I'll stick with the original :)
jaix
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Dwin » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:10 pm

I like Chief Representative of the Wise (not that they need a vote) and am glad to have someone on the council that is available online more than myself.
Dwin
Shield Bearer

Postby Gandalf'sMother » Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:22 am

Council Chief Representative of the Wise it is, then. With the understanding that this position's primary competence/ responsibility is to gather "the Wise" in fellowship, for both the purposes of collaboration and the achievement of mutual goals, whetehr it be the achievement of quests or the sharing of precious resources. This may entail ad hoc fellowship coordination, as well as scheduled fellowship dates and times, as long as they do not impinge upon the activities of the Dreadnoughts. They may, however, coordinate with and/ or complement the activities of the Dreadnoughts.

That is as far as I will go in terms of laying the guidelines for the position. The remaining details of the role and its program are up to Jaixiel, the Chief Representative of the Wise.

As soon as we have a seventh successful applicant, we will then have a vote amongst the Council Chiefs for the choice of "Head of Council." The Head of Council will then decide how often and for which issues the Council will collectively meet to make decisions.
Last edited by Gandalf'sMother on Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gandalf'sMother
Ringbearer

Postby Gandalf'sMother » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:38 am

I will ask that the current Council members submit their availability details, including the sort of activities they may have planned.

We are in need of someone to handle resource-coordination, responsible for, well, the coordination of resources, such as in the announcement and maintenance of "kinship-only" sales at auction, which can be agreed to be kept at prices well below the market value, and in the maintenance of an organized system of resource-sharing in general. The crafting thread is a step in this direction, but it would be ideal for there to be a central coordinator to make sure people can tap into the right support from kinship members.
Last edited by Gandalf'sMother on Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gandalf'sMother
Ringbearer

Postby Gandalf'sMother » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:00 am

I will try to send a kinship mail out tonight to solicit applications for the final positions.

Until then, the 5 Council members that have already been chosen can assume the responsibilities described in the Council description, sans a leader for the time being, who will be chosen by a vote of Council members once all 7 are in place.

On that note, make sure to check out the Council roster of 5 (with photos) on the official site at http://www.theonering.com/kinship.

See you all in Eriador!
Last edited by Gandalf'sMother on Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gandalf'sMother
Ringbearer

Postby Athelian » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:31 am

I already vote for Jaix as the leader. :D
Athelian
Rider of the Mark

Postby Gandalf'sMother » Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:09 am

Athelian,

A good choice.

And I should make it publicly known, though it should not color the final vote in any way, that I, in my personal capacity, lend my support to Jaixiel.

Now I need to worry about the IRS hounding me for electioneering. The Servants of the Secret Fire is a 501 (c) (3), right? :)
Gandalf'sMother
Ringbearer

Postby Redbeard07 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:40 pm

While I would certainly concede to any member with more seniority than me, say anyone over a couple of hours, I would be willing to, <gulp>, offer my services for the betterment/bereavement of the said syndication of servants. I do play regularly, and if I could cut back on my pipe weed, could be of some use. :shock:
Redbeard07
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Gandalf'sMother » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:59 pm

Redbeard,

Amount of time spent of Landroval is a crucial factor, as indicated in the initial post. Feel free to give a few ideas about what your role might be (we need a natural resources coordinator, but don't feel obliged) and then we will consider your application.

Due to the original understanding that time spent is important, I will be restructuring the current Council, and designating the Dreadnought members as an Elite Guard (the Elite Guard of the Fire) which will act as a sort of Senior Martial or military wing of the kinship (sort of a Chiefs of Staff). That body will not have formal voting powers, but will have the power of Consultation, meaning that its opinion can be registered and must be taken seriously in matters of seriousness. They may also weigh in if they feel the kinship is under internal or external threat, and can be bestowed emergency powers in teh case of a, um, emergency.

I hope that is fine with our Dreadnoughts, and I welcome any comments or concerns.
Last edited by Gandalf'sMother on Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gandalf'sMother
Ringbearer

Postby Amphiaraus Bis » Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:35 am

That seems like a very reasonable solution, my Liege.

I rather wish I'd rolled on Landroval originally, now. But that of course would mean that I'd never have met the great people in my Windfola kinship.

With many thanks for your understanding of the various Dreadnoughts' predicament,

Finduilion of Edhellond
Commander, Elite Guard of the Fire, yclept the Dreadnoughts
Amphiaraus Bis
Shield Bearer

Postby Elladan_Elfhelm » Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:33 am

I am in agreement with Amph as well. It is tough when you want to play on two servers at the same time. I joined my kinship on Elendilmir more than an year ago, before alpha testing started. Through beta there was only very limited interest it seems in the game via the threads in the game forum and I made some great friendships among the Riddermark.

I like the Elite Guard title for the Dreadnoughts, and I am still glad to have made so many friendships here as well. :)

Calimahir, Elite Guard of the Fire, Liberator of all things that need Liberating. 8)
Elladan_Elfhelm
Mariner

Postby Gandalf'sMother » Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:10 am

Bumped for those who expressed interest in-game.
Last edited by Gandalf'sMother on Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gandalf'sMother
Ringbearer

Postby Redbeard07 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:48 pm

Seeing as I'm only lvl15, I don't really have enough experience to do much, but I am willing to help in whatever capacity; probably something organizational that didn't depend on my in-game knowledge as much.
Redbeard07
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Nogg » Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:07 pm

Greetings!

I would like to submit this post as my official application to the Council.

As a veteran of many "slash, smash and grab" gaming characters, I recently found a more sensitive side of myself, and we have been having conversations with one another--but that is for another time, perhaps....

As a mid-level Minstrel with a Lore-Master alt, I have been uncovering the mysteries of playing smarter, not harder. I have been learning the symbiotic relationships involved in fellowshiping in-game, and practicing the art of healing--keeping others alive--while keeping myself out of trouble. I have reached the point where I believe I could provide unpaid (and therefore, questionable) advice to others who wish to level up a "Squishy Toon."

I am on nearly daily, although not with the manic endurance of some members of my household.

I would also be available to coordinate resources, although Boffo's vision of this smacks strongly of insider trading. I'm not really sure, but I have been led to believe that this is a bad thing to do...if you're caught. I will accept this post only with the agreement that when Boffo and I wind up in the Bree-town jail, I get the top bunk.

Respectfully,
Nogg Gutstring
Dwarf Minstrel-at-Large
Nogg
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Gandalf'sMother » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:10 pm

See the new procedures for Council-Elite Guard decision-making (Codecision) in the first part of the first post in this thread. It is important that this procedure be adhered to in order to ensure proper representation!

-Mother Maia
Gandalf'sMother
Ringbearer

Postby Gandalf'sMother » Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:20 am

Oh, and Nogg, your application has been submitted and approved. Once we have a full roster of successful applicants, I will ask the Kinship as a whole (via an in-game mail message) if they have any objections to the 7 member Council. If they do not raise any objections within 2 days, the Council will be approved!
Gandalf'sMother
Ringbearer

Postby Matuok » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:30 pm

I am mildly reluctant to apply to the council of elders only for the mere fact that I know myself. My interests tend to overwhelm me and I will become far more involved than I originally intend.

However, in light of that fact, I believe I have something to offer in terms of leadership and knowledge, I humbly request a formal application to the council. Please consider me available for what needs you may have.

I would request a position of quest leadership. I would like to lead an event on a weekly basis that is needed by most everyone as they fulfill their time in Middle Earth. Perhaps a routine of 3 to 5 quests or book nights, rotated on the calendar.
Matuok
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Gandalf'sMother » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:45 pm

Matuok,

Thank you for the application. As a recruit of mine, I am happy to see that you are considering a deeper level of involvement. I will discuss your candidacy with the current Council, and we will get back to you very shortly.
Gandalf'sMother
Ringbearer

Postby Hieron06 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:04 pm

Hello all,

Although I am new to the kinship, I just wanted to take a moment to let everyone know that I am willing to help in any way I can as well. As eluded to in another post, Methor and I work together in RL so he and I could maybe work together on some things. Whatever you guys need, just let me know.

Thanks,
Hieron
Dwarf Guardian of the Blue Mountains
Hieron06

Postby Gandalf'sMother » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:00 am

Hieron,

Thank you very much for the offer of assistance! You can, of course, aid the kinship in whatever way you like!

If you would like to be considered for either the Council of Elders or the Junior Council, make it known here, and the Council will be sure to discuss the matter.
Gandalf'sMother
Ringbearer

Postby Hieron06 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:18 am

Boffo and Council,

Please accept this as the official notification of putting my name in the proverbial top hat to be considered for a role on the Council of Elders or Junior Council. I look forward to serving the kinship in whatever way the Council sees fit.

Thank you,

Hieron
Hieron06

Postby Gandalf'sMother » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:59 am

Bump for Update! Nogg is the new Chief, and Evanya is the 7th and final Candidate for a position on the Council of Elders, and a vote will determine her success by this upcoming Sunday. Best of luck!
Gandalf'sMother
Ringbearer

Postby Gandalf'sMother » Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:22 pm

Evanya has been confirmed as the 7th member of the 7 Elder Servants!
Gandalf'sMother
Ringbearer

Postby Gandalf'sMother » Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:41 pm

Hieron,

You have been confirmed as the 1st member of the Junior Council - and will be, if you do not object - squire to Methor.
Last edited by Gandalf'sMother on Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gandalf'sMother
Ringbearer

Postby Gandalf'sMother » Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:17 pm

Bump!
Gandalf'sMother
Ringbearer

Postby Fasut » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:35 am

Well i Would be interested in filling an available seat. I really enjoy playing with this fine group of people. I am on pretty much everyday, maybe not for as long as Ath is. haha but i am always on to at least check my mail, do a little lvling and say a heartly allo.

Much thx
Adrien
Fasut
Shield Bearer

Postby Athelian » Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:00 am

I'm not on THAT much! Oh...wait...nevermind.
Athelian
Rider of the Mark

PreviousNext

Return to Servants of the Secret Fire: Lord of the Rings Online Kinship