Mines of Moria: The Big Preview Thread

The main space for TORC-based Lord of the Rings Online Kinship members and aspirants to join, accept applications for membership, gather, speak, sing, loot, make decisions, and generally take themselves too seriously.

Mines of Moria: The Big Preview Thread

Postby Gandalf'sMother » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:40 am

For those of you sad, desperate louts who cannot help but consume all spoilers regarding the new Moria expansion, I give you (well, I'm not giving it to you as it is not mine, but I am highlighting it for your perusal) the Big Moria Preview Thread, which is an updated resource linking to all photo, video and review updates:

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?t=158636

-Boffo
Gandalf'sMother
Ringbearer

Postby Athelian » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:55 pm

From the small bit I've read about Moria, it seems as if they are creating it as a living, populated place and not an abandoned, ruined realm as it is portrayed in the books. I'm really having a hard time with this.

Are they changing the timeline? Are we seeing a rebuilt Moria or are we seeing Moria as it is when the Fellowship arrives?
Athelian
Rider of the Mark

Postby Gandalf'sMother » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:57 pm

From the small bit I've read about Moria, it seems as if they are creating it as a living, populated place and not an abandoned, ruined realm as it is portrayed in the books. I'm really having a hard time with this.

The narrative is that it starts empty of dwarves, but full of orcs, as the Fellowship left it, but that it begins to get populated as dwarven settlers push forward to resettle the place. There is no mention of this immediate recolonization effort in the books, but it is not entirely outside the possibilities allowed for in the gaps in the lore.

I have mixed feelings myself (and think that Moria should simply have been one area, like The Lonelands or Angmar) but I'm not too bothered by it.

-GM
Gandalf'sMother
Ringbearer

Postby Tule » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:12 pm

Yes, I think it can feel too populated if you rush through it. Sort of like how Frodo and company just left the Shire while simultaneously having just left Bree and Weathertop and the Last Bridge and the Trollshaws and are nearly ready to leave Rivendell. If you ride your horse through or use fast travel, it doesn't make much sense. But if you travel through the areas at a normal pace while doing quests it works out better. Of course you have to always keep some suspension of disbelief since you can get back to Michel Delving from Rivendell in seconds where nothing seems to have changed.

In the books, Moria isn't deserted. The lower levels have lots of orcs and goblins. Just the path that the fellowship took was mostly deserted, but signs existed that they weren't alone. I suspect that in the game the main east-west path will have Dwarven outposts but everything else will be pretty wild. I also suspect the outposts will be a lot like hastily set up camps, similar to Thorenhad in Trollshaws.
Tule
Shield Bearer

Return to Servants of the Secret Fire: Lord of the Rings Online Kinship