Management by Sauron

The main space for TORC-based Lord of the Rings Online Kinship members and aspirants to join, accept applications for membership, gather, speak, sing, loot, make decisions, and generally take themselves too seriously.

Management by Sauron

Postby Tule » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:30 pm

Just saw this article that some may find interesting, from the Helsinki Sanomat newspaper. A doctoral dissertation discussing management styles gleaned from Lord of the Rings.

Management by Sauron
Tule
Shield Bearer

Postby Old_Tom_Bombadil » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:50 am

By way of an example, he cites the treacherous and power-hungry necromancer Sauron, the title-character of the story, who is also a cultivated and a learned man.
Through his clever use of words, Sauron is capable of swaying his followers and he can effectively condense and distil the goals of his organisation.

Eh? I never thought of Sauron as being cultivated and learned, per se, and he certainly isn't a Man. Sauron rules through domination, not through clever use of words. This description sounds more like Saruman than Saruon. :?

At any rate I hope the dissertation is written better than this review. Of course I wouldn't know even if I had a copy of it since it is written in Finnish. :P
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Ranger of the North

Postby Tule » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:37 pm

There's a short English summary at the end of the dissertation, but it's very short on details and basically just discusses its structure.

As for Sauron being cultivated and learned, he's probably referring to the younger Sauron who taught the elves the art of making rings and was able to deceive a lot of them.
Tule
Shield Bearer

Postby Old_Tom_Bombadil » Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:43 pm

Tule wrote:As for Sauron being cultivated and learned, he's probably referring to the younger Sauron who taught the elves the art of making rings and was able to deceive a lot of them.

Ah, Sauron in his 'Annatar Lord of Gifts' disguise. That's a good guess, of course that was a disguise and not the true nature of Sauron. The Dark Lord, an imitation of his former master Morgoth, is how we mostly think of Sauron.

Edited to add:

It also occurs to me that the title, "Power, Leadership, Doom, and Hope in J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings, or ‘Management by Sauron’" would describe Sauron as he was depicted in The Lord of the Rings, not The Silmarillion.
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Ranger of the North

Return to Servants of the Secret Fire: Lord of the Rings Online Kinship