Hi! My name is TORBI

The main space for TORC-based Lord of the Rings Online Kinship members and aspirants to join, accept applications for membership, gather, speak, sing, loot, make decisions, and generally take themselves too seriously.

Hi! My name is TORBI

Postby Torbi » Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:08 pm

Greetings, my kin-folk, and thank you so much for welcoming me to your association.

I've run across this site many times in the past while searching for Tolkien lore. My history with Tolkien is a rather non-standard one: I saw a children's production (a play with children acting) of the Hobbit when I was 10, back in 1973. While fantasy-genre books, and Tolkien in particular were very popular while I was growing up, I never read them, myself, (I really didn't spend a lot of time reading as a child or adolescent) until one boring summer night in 1980 I picked up the Silmarillion and read it. Thus, for over twenty years, I had read the Silmarillion, but not Lord of the Rings, nor The Hobbit.

I read The Lord of the Rings in 2002, finishing before the Two Towers film was released. Since then, I've re-read the Silmarillion, and finished the Unfinished Tales. I only finished the Hobbit about a month ago, a started reading The Children of Hurin earlier this week.

There's an elaborate postscript on the children's play version of The Hobbit I saw 35 years ago: the fellow who played Bilbo later became, and still is, one of my closest friends. He told the story a couple of times about how upset he was when he found out that he didn't get to keep the sword (Sting) when the production was over. During his annual Christmas visit in 2002, he remarked on this story again, and on Christmas eve I realized that I must give him a replacement Sting! Luckily, a local cutlery shop had the (very nice) replica of the movie Sting in stock, and I give him his sword the next day. One slight modification: the replica came with a piece of parchment that stated that this Sting was "Frodo Baggin's Sword." I crossed out "Frodo" with a Sharpie and wrote in "Bilbo." The next year, he painted a map for me, which I framed and now hangs in my living room. (He's a painter and art professor, and as such the fact that he painted it is a sort of professional risk.)

Here's my RPG history: played D&D for the first time in 1977, and have played paper and pencil RPG games on and off, ever since. MMO's, in order: EverQuest, City of Heroes, World of Warcraft, EverQuest II, after which there was the wandering in the wilderness of D&D Online, Age of Conan, Warhammer Online, back to EQ2, and now to LOTRO. I've been unable to get my EQ2 guildies to make the transition (and given I was the one who convinced them to start playing AoC, I don't blame them.)

Gosh, look at the time I've wasted writing, when I could be playing! See you all in Middle-Earth.

-Torbi
Torbi
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Athelian » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:35 pm

Mae govannen Torbi! We are thrilled to have you join the humble Servants of the Secret Fire!

I love your Tolkien background story. I am always interested in hearing how people discovered the magic that is Middle Earth.
Athelian
Rider of the Mark

Postby Berethel » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:39 am

Hi Torbi! I see you all the time in game but I figure maybe I'll say hi here, too. What a wonderful non-standard LotRO intro story! I'm envious of your framed and painted map! That (and Sting) was a wonderful gift!

Yes, this is Bereleth, despite the fact that I managed to spell my own name wrong when registering for this forum.
Berethel
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Gandalf'sMother » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:42 am

Athelian wrote:Mae govannen Torbi!

A Mae Govannen from me as well, Torbi! Wonderful to have you. My own Tolkien journey began, rather unfortunately, with Rankin and Bass' "the Hobbit" cartoon (you know, the one with the green, German elves). It was a deliciously ridiculous production, but I picked up both the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings soon after. The Silmarillion followed, and before anyone could say "fiddlesticks" I owned the entire HoME series, and various other Tolkien offerings (Roverandon, Tales from the Perilous Realm, etc, etc.) This led to the development of a rather large library on Nordic, English, and Germanic, myth, to complement the Greek and Latin classics I was told I needed to be familiar with.

And then came LOTRO. :)

We are thrilled to have you join the humble Servants of the Secret Fire!

As to the Servants being "humble," I think Athelian may be thinking of a different kinship!

-GM
Gandalf'sMother
Ringbearer

Return to Servants of the Secret Fire: Lord of the Rings Online Kinship