Official TENGWAR Transcription Thread (and TATTOOS) - VI

Tolkien's worlds were birthed out of his love of language and his work at creating new ones. Enter into discussions surrounding Tolkien's languages.

Re: Official TENGWAR Transcription Thread (and TATTOOS) - VI

Postby Nephya » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:32 am

Edit du post.

Du coup, après avoir vu avec toi par mail, ma demande reste la même : Transcription des mots "Papa" et "Père" (voir lequel est plus sympa)
Avec du coup, TA-I and TA-I+B les deux, voir lequel est le plus sympa, là-aussi!

Encore merci!

- Nephya.
Last edited by Nephya on Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nephya
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Estel1701 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:55 am

Hey, you might have seen my post on the Sindarin translation page, I've found an online tengwar script converter and for the following phrase:

ú-awartho estel. Gin melon.

I got this script:

And uploading it, I've noticed that it's missing a : at the end in order to finish the sentence. Other than that, is is correct?

Thank you in advance. :)
Estel1701

Postby Isildilmë » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:27 am

Hi everybody ! I wont answer all the new posts today, just a few of them that can be done easily, and I have a few transcriptions ready. I'm sorry it might be late for many of them...

I might be obliged to create a new "rule", which is to give a priority to those who will be disposed to pay a little fee for their transcriptions. I have not decided for how much yet, and your opinions are welcome on what this is worth. I didn,t want to do that, but I also don't want to let people wait for months to get their transcriptions. If I have a little remuneration, it will be easier for me to excuse the time spent in this, so the transcription will be dore very shortly. It wont be an obligation, there will be a choice : to pay or to wait. Am I a monster to start thinking of this ? I hope I'm not... I won't be rich with what I'll get... Any respectful opinion is welcome, here or by email.

Litraya, I'm so happy you thought of getting back with this picture and to share the end of the story ! Thank you !

Arlaug, the transcriptions are correct if based on orthography. I tend to use more phonetic when I use an English full mode, like in the 20th edition of the Parma Eldalamberon. In this case I would write "muwn" using vala and an over-twist. But you wrote "moon" too.

Nephya, j'ai répondu à ton courriel ce matin, j'avais pas vu que tu avais aussi écrit ici. Commence donc par répondre à ma demande d'éclaircissement et on regardera ça ensuite. Et si tu préfères écrire en anglais, à ta guise !

Estel1701, the transcription is good, even if I would do minor modifications, for example with the punctuations, but this is a controversial subject, as most of the punctuation signs in Tengwar can have numerous significations. I would remove the dot after the first tengwa and join the two parts of the word together and I prefer to use the 4 dots (diamond shape) for a dot in this Sindarin mode (compared to the two dots you have), but this is only my preference. And normally we put a little space before and after the punctuations in tengwar, so you should add one before your ":" or diamond 4-dots signs.

other people : I saw your posts, I will take them in note and will get back to you with questions if incomplete, or with a transcription when your turn comes
Concerning the Official Tengwar Transcription Thread - VI
To all the newbees, Welcome to TORC !
Before posting anything on this thread, READ THE INTRODUCTION. For now, I didn't have the time to update the intro, so I let you read the intro of thread #IV here.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the threads or by email (isildilme@hotmail.com - write "Tengwar" somewhere in the subject in case you fall in my junkmail, because if I don't know, I wont open the message !). Note that I don't accept transcription requests by email, you have to post them here !

You can address yourself to me in French, Spanish or English as you wish.

Special message : I have now two precious sons. They are my priorities, and an additional explanation for the delays in my answers. I WILL answer you... but you might have to wait. Thank you for your comprehension.
Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:27 am

For stanleyfan777 :
Image Click on the image for regular size

Before posting anything on this thread, READ THE INTRODUCTION. For now, I didn't have the time to update the intro, so I let you read the intro of thread #IV here.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the threads or by email (isildilme@hotmail.com - write "Tengwar" somewhere in the subject in case you fall in my junkmail, because if I don't know, I wont open the message !). Note that I don't accept transcription requests by email, you have to post them here !

Special message : I have now two precious sons. They are my priorities, and an additional explanation for the delays in my answers. I WILL answer you... but you might have to wait. Thank you for your comprehension.
Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:28 am

For Stacey2907 : you didn’t tell which font(s) you wanted, so I did it in the two most popular :

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:29 am

For Eleftheria :

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:29 am

For robinurke93 :

I had to change the punctuations, because the suspension dot has no known equivalent. I hope it’s ok with you !

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:31 am

For Victoria : J’avais pas de mention de la police que tu voulais, alors je suis allée avec une “valeur sûre”, Tengwar Annatar italique.

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:31 am

For replaay : As I don’t have a transcription mode for Norwegian, I transcribed it as an English word, but changing the “J” for a “Y”, so Yohan. I thought it would be the best way to respect the way I think your name is pronounced. Tell me if it was a mistake :)

Over for now. I'll try to find a little time for the next ones shortly.

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Estel1701 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:49 pm

Thank you so much or your help, I've done some modifications to it based on your recommendations, it this better now?

Estel1701

Postby eruannon_alcarin » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:33 pm

Hey, Isildilmë. I'd like to know if my transcription of a phrase from The Silmarillion is correct. I made it based on the ortographic way from this link.

phrase: "[...]through you great beauty has been wakened into song.'"

transcription: Image
eruannon_alcarin

Postby Nephya » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:28 pm

Hello Isildilmë! :)

Du coup j'ai pu avoir la traduction en Sindarin : "Ada" et "Adar" et c'est vrai que je viens de me souvenir qu'Arwen appelle son père comme cela dans les films, du coup je change mes plans : J'aimerais uniquement ces deux traductions-là avec les fonts TA-I et TA-I+B pour voir lequel est mieux ! :)

Merci encore !
Nephya

Postby Isildilmë » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:11 pm

Estel : wonderful, congratulations :)

eruannon, I can read your transcription easily, but to be honest I dislike this transcription mode and I prefer not to use it, but if you are confident with it go ahead. Tolkien wrote many different rules and modes to write English so we all choose the guidelines that we prefer.

Nephya, on change pour le Sindarin seulement, c'est parfait pour moi :)

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby leisulin » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:32 pm

Isildilmë:

You said to eruannon: "I can read your transcription easily, but to be honest I dislike this transcription mode and I prefer not to use it".

Would you please describe what transcription mode you DO like? Is it documented somewhere?

Thanks!
leisulin

Postby eruannon_alcarin » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:12 am

Isildilmë wrote:
eruannon, I can read your transcription easily, but to be honest I dislike this transcription mode and I prefer not to use it, but if you are confident with it go ahead. Tolkien wrote many different rules and modes to write English so we all choose the guidelines that we prefer.

I don't have much experience with Tengwar. How would you write it?
eruannon_alcarin

Postby robinurke93 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:51 am

Isildilmë wrote:For robinurke93 :

I had to change the punctuations, because the suspension dot has no known equivalent. I hope it’s ok with you !

Thank you so much, you are incredible! Definetly worth the wait, and I would be glad to pay a small sum for the work done.
robinurke93

Postby InvisibleCities » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:44 am

I know this has been addressed before vis-a-vis this image http://s1192.photobucket.com/user/Isildilme/media/homeisbehind_zps677788a5.png.html
but I just wanted to confirm this is 100% accurate and additionally if I wanted to repeat the last line I assume I can repeat the last line in the transcription? Also I would prefer to not have the question mark in the 5th line. I really appreciate it.
InvisibleCities

Postby Isildilmë » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:03 am

InvisibleCities wrote:I just wanted to confirm this is 100% accurate

it is... with the transcription mode for English that I use. But if you read the introduction to this post (see my signature for a link), you know that many modes exist and that there are many ways to write the same lines, and that another transcriber could write it another way and disagree with what I did. Tolkien himself would probably write it different ways depending on when in his life he would have done it. But I think I can say that anybody who knows a bit about Tengwar could read my transcription easily.

InvisibleCities wrote:additionally if I wanted to repeat the last line I assume I can repeat the last line in the transcription? Also I would prefer to not have the question mark in the 5th line. I really appreciate it.

normally I organise my transcriptions so that the lines in Roman letters correspond exactly to how I cut them in the transcription. In this case, for a reason I really don't know about, line 4 and 5 of Roman version (left) are written together in Tengwar (right), so the question mark is the "B"-like symbol at the end of the long 4th line. The other lines correspond to lines 6 etc., so if you want to have the last line twice like in the song of the movie, you can just repeat the last Tengwar line. And if you want to change the dot in the first repetition for a comma, remove the first two dots of the 3-dots symbol, so you keep just the middle dot. 3 dots correspond to a dot in Roman system. I hope this sounds clear !

Now I'm not sure if you only wanted to know if you could do it that way or if you want ME to do it. Let me know !

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Azzah44100 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:02 am

Hello, I am getting a tattoo in 2 days and it occured to me that i should check to see if the script i chose from google actually says what i think it says.

Can you translate the classic:

Not all those who wander are lost

Thank you
Azzah44100

Postby yuliyabulakhova » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:05 am

Dear Isildilme,
I was looking for a Tengwar transcription of family members' names for tattoo, and finally found YOU!!!
I need your help for transcription (my husband and daughter names):

1. Marco Di Paola (italian language, Tengwar Annatar Italic and Tengwar Elfica Regular)
2. Elisabetta 31.10.04 (italian language, Tengwar Annatar Italic and Tengwar Elfica Regular)

Thank you in advance!
yuliyabulakhova

Postby sersunnyroad » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:05 am

Hello Isildilmë!

I was wondering if you could please do a transcription for me? My mom and I are going to get tattoos together, and we decided to get Lord of the Rings themed tattoos. We're Norwegian, so I'm getting the Norwegian word "mamma" (mom), and she's getting my name "Solveig" in Tengwar.

So my request is:
- Mamma
- Solveig
And the language is Norwegian.
Could you please do them both in TQ-I+B an TA-I+B if it's not too much trouble?

Thank you so much for your time!
sersunnyroad

Postby barfrau » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:15 am

Hi Isildime

First of all I want to say thank you for your work, I'm so impressed you are still doing this and not getting bored with all those requests.

Naturally, I also need a favour from you.

I need this sentence in TA-R and -I, TC-R and -I, and TEca-R and -I please:

And though where the road then takes me I cannot tell
(it's English, to be precise a line from "the last goodbye" from that hobbit movie :wink: )

I was on a flight from New Zealand, leaving my life as I knew it for the past 5 years behind. I thought it a fitting end to that adventure to watch "The Hobbit - The battle of the five armies" as I haven't seen it before. I hated the first part of the trilogy, I didn't watch the Desolation of Smaug until years after it came out and so I never made an effort to see the end of the hobbit trilogy. By the end of the movie, and when "the last goodbye" played, I was in tears. This also was the last goodbye for me, from the country I called home for five years, from the people I met and lost, from my old life. This one line just stuck with me, because even a month after that I don't know what to do with my life and how to bounce back. But I will, eventually. Anyhow, I would thank the people involved in writing this beautiful piece of music personally if I could. Well, this won't happen anytime soon (or ever), so I just get a piece of it tattooed on my body :lol:

Thank you very much for your help, I really appreciate that!
barfrau

Postby Madada6 » Wed May 03, 2017 2:41 am

I know that you have many things to do.Also,i know that i'm asking too much but i need a transcription in these phrases...I want the transcription to Annatar Italic please!

1)In a time of destruction, create something.
2)When there is darkness, dare to be the first to shine a light.
3)When there seems to be no hope, dare to find some.
4)When you want to succeed as bad as you wanna breath, then you will be successful.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!
Madada6

Postby Kyra » Sat May 06, 2017 9:11 am

Hallo Isildilme

If you have time , may I ask you for this transcription in Tengwar Annatar Italic
Loyalty, Honor a willing heart.

Thank you!
Greetings from Austria!
Kyra
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Helenw » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:50 am

Hi Isildilme
Sorry for bothering you I hope you can help. Surprisingly enough I'm looking for a transcription. I'm not sure if you are still able to do this as by looking at your previous posts you are incredibly busy.
I, like most on here, am going to get a tattoo. I never thought id get one but for the last two years i have developed a rare nerve disorder in my leg after breaking my ankle. This has caused me to be on crutches since then and the foreseable future no matter what i will have to use a walking aid for the rest of my life. So as Tolkien is one of my favourite authors and his books tell us about overcoming adversity and having hope I thought I'd see if I could find something to remind me to have hope
So my idea is to have a tattoo at the top of my leg where it hasn't spread to.
I've searched the forums but not all as you've had so many requests to look for this quote but haven't found it. If you can help I would be so grateful.
My quote is in English
The words are: "where there is hope there is life"
If you could show me in
TA (I -B)
TB (I-B)
TEca (I-B)
I've put bold for each as I guess that would show up best for a tattoo. I've never felt I've needed one before so I'm not sure!
I really hope all this isn't too much to ask. I've stupidly booked it in next for next weekend too as a friend was going and I didn't realise there was even this forum where I could ask you. So if you are busy and backed up with requests then I can rearrange it's me not thinking.
Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it
Helenw
Helenw

Postby Helenw » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:51 am

Hi Isildilme
Sorry for bothering you I hope you can help. Surprisingly enough I'm looking for a transcription. I'm not sure if you are still able to do this as by looking at your previous posts you are incredibly busy.
I, like most on here, am going to get a tattoo. I never thought id get one but for the last two years i have developed a rare nerve disorder in my leg after breaking my ankle. This has caused me to be on crutches since then and the foreseable future no matter what i will have to use a walking aid for the rest of my life. So as Tolkien is one of my favourite authors and his books tell us about overcoming adversity and having hope I thought I'd see if I could find something to remind me to have hope
So my idea is to have a tattoo at the top of my leg where it hasn't spread to.
I've searched the forums but not all as you've had so many requests to look for this quote but haven't found it. If you can help I would be so grateful.
My quote is in English
The words are: "where there is hope there is life"
If you could show me in
TA (I -B)
TB (I-B)
TEca (I-B)
I've put bold for each as I guess that would show up best for a tattoo. I've never felt I've needed one before so I'm not sure!
I really hope all this isn't too much to ask. I've stupidly booked it in next for next weekend too as a friend was going and I didn't realise there was even this forum where I could ask you. So if you are busy and backed up with requests then I can rearrange it's me not thinking.
Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it
Helenw
Helenw

Postby nicnoc66 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:02 am

Hi Isildilme,

Could please provide a translation for the word Father

TGVorn - R+B

Appreciate your time

N xx
nicnoc66

Postby Kyra » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:43 am

Hallo Isildilme
If you have time, may I ask you for this translation into tengwar Anatar italic ?

honor, loyalty a willing heart

And the sindarin Word for mama : nana

Thank you so much !
You do an amazing job here !
Kyra
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Isildilmë » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:14 pm

I everybody ! As usual, I was away longer than I wished. And tonight I had time, and it was all consumed by just reading the new post and preparing short answer. I didn't even write one thing in Tengwar. And now my time is over. Damn.

As I said previously, I'm now wealing to treat requests quicker for people who accept to pay a little fee. Just so that I can justify why I put time on this an not on all the rest ! For more details, email me. Or just wait here... it will be free, but you might wait for months. I'm sorry.

Now my answers :

threeph : your request is complete, thank you

AidenZach : thank you for doing things “right” and reading the guidelines before you post ! I have all I need :)

eruannon_alcarin : yes I can do that for you.

leisulin : I’m sorry I have to say that this would be WAYYYYY to long to describe, and that I constructed my transcription mode through MANY readings. As I said in my introduction if you read it, Tolkien himself used different modes, and transcribers around the world use some of them more than others depending on many points. The transcription mode I use isn’t documented in a unique place as far as I know. To understand Tengwar and use them properly, one as to read much of Tolkien’s stuff. But I will answer to any question you have.

Azzah44100 : 2 days ?! oops ! anyway it was by far a too short delay. And if you wanted to see my transcription, you surely found it through this site easily, I’ve been asked for this one many times. But if you still need something, please write a new post.

yuliyabulakhova : wonderful ! another complete request !

sersunnyroad : this request was discussed by email and as no longer interest here :).

barfrau : It will be a pleasure to help… someday ! I’m still not bored of the requests, as you say, but I have so little time that I end letting people wait for months, and I hate this… but life is as it is. About your request, will you believe me if I tell you that I still haven’t seen the 3rd movie of the Hobbit ? I have it at home, and I didn’t find the time yet… and it wasn’t a priority as I was so deceived by the other ones. But reading you makes me more wealing to give it a try.

Madada6 : ok !

Kyra : always a pleasure to see people coming back :)

Helenw : a transcription requests ! What a surprise :D I’m sorry I only saw your post today… is it finally too late ? It would be a pleasure to contribute to your project.

nicnoc66 : Did you read the introduction post (link in my signature) ? When I read you I’m not sure if you want a mere transcription or if you need a translation first. Read it and come back with more info please.

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Kyra » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:51 am

Thank you so much Isildilme!
It's good to be back ☺
Kyra
Citizen of Imladris

Previous

Return to Language