READ ONLY-Official TENGWAR Transcriptions (and TATTOOS) - II

Tolkien's worlds were birthed out of his love of language and his work at creating new ones. Enter into discussions surrounding Tolkien's languages.

READ ONLY-Official TENGWAR Transcriptions (and TATTOOS) - II

Postby Isildilmë » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:22 am

Hi everybody and welcome on the second Official Tengwar Transcription Thread !!! :hihi:

So you can post here all the Tengwar transcription you need. Notice that Tengwar is not a language : it’s a different script, a different manner to write the letters and sounds. So if you want your word/sentence to be
translated in an Elvish language before transcription, then you may post before in the appropriate translation thread. For Quenya, go on the Official Quenya Translation Thread, and for Sindarin, the Official Sindarin Translation thread. Then come back with the final sentence and ask for transcription in Tengwar.

Another way to do it is to keep the word in English (or whatever other language) and transcribe it directly in Tengwar. If your request is in another language, I suggest you tell us in what language it is, so we may use a transcription mode which is more appropriated to the starting language. The more details you give, the more easy it is for us to give you a good answer.

Talking about this, notice too that there is never a unique good transcription for a word. Tolkien created a lot of transcription modes and that is the reason why you can have a different answer asking to different people, and both can be good ! :woah:

For the moment, I seem to be the only one answering the requests. I have to tell that I am no moderator or any official reference in TORC. I'm just someone who discovered this site and got some a little help from other bloggers here, and I decided, as a elvish fan, to help others less informed elvish fans. And over all, I just looove to do this : translate and transcribe. So the transcriptions I offer you reflect my opinion... but I think they're accurate... or at least as accurate as we can attest with the information that Tolkien the great Master let us. As I said, many transcription modes are circulating... If someone else is interested in doing some transcriptions here too, just tell me and we’ll split the job !

Now here is the way I’m personnally working : I take note of every request and try to do them in order, with some exceptions if I have a very good reason !
If you post a transcription you made by yourself that you want me to check, I usually work on your request quicker. And to discourage double-posting, notice that if you post your request many times, you go down on my list because it erases your first request ! :D This technique seems to work ! hahaha ! So note that I’ll start with the last requests that were made on the first transcription thread which is now closed, and then I’ll go on with what will be posted here. You can also visit this thread if you want to see examples of what I do (I have started not so long ago, so you can start by the end if you prefer).

One last thing :
please be patient. I have a lot of work :bookworm: and I can put the transcription in my computer and then transfer in on the thread just when I’m home and have free time, which doesn’t occure every week. But I’ll finish by doing your transcription, don’t worry.

And sorry for my horrible English... you may have noticed that it is not my native language at all ! :roflmbo:

*Edited* :
Here are a few examples of fonts that you can ask for, using my name as an example. All can be in bold too, if asked. If you have other fonts and would like to know if they fit too, just send them or post a link to them !
And here is a list of some Tengwar fonts that are incomplete or not compatible with my system, so I suggest we don’t use them if possible (I post the list in case you know these fonts).
    Tengwar 03
    Tengwar 04
    Tengwar 05
    Tengwar Annatar Alt
    Tengwar Eldamar Alt
    Tengwar Elfica A
    Tengwar Formal A
    Tengwar-Gandalf
    Tengwar Marzabul
    Tengwar Parmaite Alt
    Tengwar Quenya 1 (incomplete)
    Tengwar Quenya 2 (incomplete)
    Tengwar Quenya-A
    Tengwar Typewriter

Isildilmë Celumenarwissë Image

P.S. : to add a new comment or request, click on “Post a reply” at the top or bottom of a page, not on “Post a new topic” !

:TORC:
Last edited by Isildilmë on Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:28 am, edited 6 times in total.
Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

hey there my friend isildilme

Postby ronak918 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:20 pm

hey there my friend,

sorry if you feel bad b'because with capital letters i wasn't yelling at you......
its alrite if its called "black speech" language......well i dont have that font but i thought that u might have that font hehehehehe.........
i know i m getting "GREEDY" now but i have one more request......if you can transcribe this word in the "font which was on the ring" or "TENGWAR ANNATAR ITALIC"..... its called : "ARYAN" just one more word plzzzzz,
its the word as well, plzzzzzzzzzzzzzz its a very humble request........

thanks a lot lot lot
ronak

and more over YOU too have a nice weekend......
ronak918
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Isildilmë » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:31 am

For the moment I have a few questions/comments for people who have asked a transcription, in order to do it right and to make it correspond with what they really want :
    Ronak918, no problem, your request is added to your preceeding one. And don't worry, I new you weren't yelling at me :), but I though you'd like to know that this is the official meaning of capital letters. By the way, I went to the website you sended me, and yes, some font are interesting, even if I already knew about the majority of them. Thank you. If you'd like to see your transcription in another font then Tengwar Annatar, just tell me which one and I will see what we can do.
    Isabel, I’ll try to see what I can do, but it doesn’t let me a lot of time ! :wink:
    EssDubya, do you prefer I transcribe “Laoise” or “Leesha” ? I can do Laoise as if it was an English name, letter by letter : “L-a-o-i-s-e”, or using a Tengwar that combines “o+i”, but this one is normally for “o+i-glide” like in the word “oil”, which I think is not the case here. So tell me what you prefer : “L-a-o-i-s-e” or “L-ee-sh-a”.
    Blackhole, good idea to verify you got it right ! Nobody wants to discover after the tattoo is done that it’s full of errors ! But I’m not sure you understood right :)… or I’m the one who didn’t understand something ! :lol: The fact is that I don’t know about a transcription mode made especially for Latin, so what I propose is to do like if it was English and transcribe it this way (or if you find a Latin mode for Tengwar transcription, just tell me !). If this is ok for you, I’ll do it this way. Everybody who can read English in Tengwar is gonna be able to read “Veni Vidi Veci.” all right. And for the script, I normally use the font you can see on the previous thread (Tengwar Annatar Italic), which is quite similar to The Ring one. It is quite complete too. If you have another font in mind, you can send it to me and I’ll see if it is compatible and complete enough to use it.
Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby zidane05 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:46 pm

:) I want a tengwar tattoo..its the best poem in the world..would you please translate it for me?

Nature's first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf,
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day;
Nothing gold can stay.

Thanks a bunch!! :rose: :? :?
zidane05

Postby Squintagious » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:14 pm

Hello Isildilme,

I could use some help of you, I would like to have my name
tattooed in Tengwar like the style of Fernando Torres. Only I cant get it in Tengwar my self so
could you help me get it in Tengwar?

THis should be Tattooed in Tengwar: Quincy T

Quincy is my first name Tyrone my Second thats why the 'T'

I hope you could help me.

Regards,

Quincy
Squintagious

Postby fenomenez » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:06 am

hi there,

well, i really tried to learn tengwar. but i can`t really find the time for it.. i hope someone can help me.

i want a tattoo, therefore i wanted something in tengwar. the tengwar style of fernando torres (hi poster above (: )

"never without you" in tengwar ? i don`t know exactly how many different tengwar styles there are.. whats the most basic or best looking tengwar ?

"never without you"
"manuel"
"linda"

by the way, is there any tengwar "sign" for the number "11" ? if yes, please tell me how it looks like in tengwar..

both in tengwar italics or something like its called, please.. PLEASE Big Grin i really really want this tattoo.. but i don`t want any mistakes in there.. Sad
Last edited by fenomenez on Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
fenomenez

elvish words

Postby ronak918 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:14 am

hey isildilme,
well to start first....my name is RONAK.....and i m from sydney......
well i wud like to know ur name and where are you from.....
and it feels nice to talk to ya..........

and i m bit confused.....if yuo can please clear my doubts please.....

is the "TENGWAR ANNATAR FONT" and the "FONT THAT WAS USED ON THE RING IN THE MOVIE (LORD OF THE RINGS)" are the same or they both are different ????????

this is my doubt..........

hope you wont mind answering me this question.............

ronak
ronak918

Postby EssDubya » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:25 am

I would prefer to have L-a-o-i-s-e

thanks a million :)
EssDubya

:)

Postby lala123 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:20 am

Hey :)

Was wondering if you could translate this into tengwar for me please?

"I want your love, and I want your revenge"

"Family"

Would mean so much to me!
Thankyou!

Charlotte xx
lala123

please translate

Postby onenurse » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:34 am

Could you please transribe this quoet written by Tolkien? Thank you in advance.

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those whoe wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by frost.
From ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken:
The crownless again shall be king.

Also I would like my children's names to be transcribed. Also their birthdates if you can do that too!

Matthew 12.17.2006
Nolan 08.02.2000
Luke 05.06.2005

Thank you,
Anna
onenurse

Postby Duco » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:55 pm

Greetings...
It would mean a world to me if you could write me
''Hiruvan tië hya caruvan tië'' in tengwar. i putted it in translator and i cant get an ë translated.... it just shows a random square....
so u can put the whole sentence in tengwar, that would be better , or if u dont have time just write ë in tengwar . Time is of the essence, im really out of it.. Thanks sooo much in advance
Duco

Postby vickster » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:25 am

hey

thanks for your e-mail back, here are my requests on here for you to translate;-

Vicki Always and Forever

Dav Always and Forever

Rylan

Thanks so much for your help, your work is amazing x
vickster

Postby Isildilmë » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:40 am

For Isabel :
And same comment about numbers than last time.

Note that I made an exception for Isabel because of some circunstances, but I didn’t forget about the people that ask their transcription before and after, don’t worry ! I’ll post them asap !

Duco, I can tell you write now that the "ë" at the end of Quenya words is transcribed just as a normal "e" so you can write this letter. But be carefull with automatic transcribers, they often make errors. If you want to post you result so that I check it for you and confirm it's good, don't hesitate. If I just have to confirm, you should have a quick answer.

And
Ronak, you can look on the first transcription thread the examples of Tengwar Annatar, cause I made almost all my transcriptions with this one. It is quite like the font of the movie... I don't know if they're exactly the same, I didn't make a deep comparison, but that's pretty much like it to me. I think that you won't have something better if your goal is to have a font like in the movie. And sorry, but for now I prefer that my personal infos remain... personal. But no problem in telling that I'm Canadian ! :)

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Vea mi olori » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:49 am

Hi Isildilmë (and any other transcribers out there),

It seems you're getting somewhat inundated. What website do you use to upload images for this stuff? Is it just photobucket or somesuch? If I can get started on that I can give you a hand trascribing Quenya stuff, and English if you can get me the mode (I have Tengwar Scribe, but from my adventures with it in Quenya mode I know it's not always right).

I can't promise I'll be that regular a help, but I'll be about when I can be.
Vea mi olori
Shield Bearer

Postby Pilotreborn » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:52 pm

Hello, I was wondering if I could get these 2 messages into the tengwar format.

Not all wanderers are [lost] (forsaken)
La ilya ránar ná hecili

It is mine to give to whom I will
Násnya anta yeuvan

And also if possible to confirm the translation.

Thanks so much for helping us all out like this. I really appreciate it.
Pilotreborn

Postby chloefrosty » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:17 am

Hi Isildilmë,

i was wondering if it would be possible for you to translate the name of my son into Tengwar, i really want to get it as a tattoo so want to make sure it is the correct translation before i get it, his name is Isaac. any help with that would be much appreciated :)

thank you
Chloë
chloefrosty

Help Please Please Please

Postby rocket1975 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:12 am

Hi Isildilmë, I want to get my girlfriends name Stacey Louise as a tatoo on my arm a bit like fernando torres style i think its tengwar curasive but im not sure. Could you please transcribe Stacey Louise for me in this style or point me in the right direction as i have treid everything with no luck. Any help woulod be great as im getting tatt very soon.

Last edited by rocket1975 on Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
rocket1975

Have done my own transcribe, need to be double checked

Postby tomw » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:15 am

I have done my own transcription, would like to know if someone can double check this for me. This is an english name. Thanks.

click here

Edited by White Council Moderator:

Please DO NOT put oversized images in your posts. The limit is 300 x 400 pixels, 50 Kb. For larger images, USE A LINK.

Oversized images may be removed.
tomw

Help please

Postby rocket1975 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:10 am

Hi tomw, Is ther anyway you could transcribe Stacey Louise for me as i love the style of this. i have been trying to do it for ages for a tat i want to get for my wedding very soon.

Many Thanks
Rocket
rocket1975

Postby Franklyn7 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:06 pm

Hi,

I was wondering if you could translate this into tengwar for me please?

"Franklyn"

"Briscoe"

"Celtic"

thank you v.much :)
Franklyn7

Postby Lovebug » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:54 pm

Hello Isildilmë :wink:

I already posted a request for you to translate on the old thread and now i would ask you if you could translate a few things again....( of couse after you'll translate the old request when you'll have time for it :) )

Bony

9.4.1999 or 9.4.99

Memories shall never fade.

Forever in my heart.

See you on the other side.

really appreciate it thanks :wink:
Lovebug

Postby Isildilmë » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:58 am

OK ! Sorry everybody ! Those times are crazy !!!!

Vea mi olori, do I understand that you’d like and be able to give me a hand ? If yes, you’re welcome !!! In fact, I use at first something like TScribe or the equivalent website, but of course there are plenty of errors, so I check letter by letter all my transcriptions before posting them. So if you can do some, but not in a regular way, just when you have time to spend or something, I suggest you start with the last request and go back in time. If you post your transcriptions one by one, we are sure not to do double work this way, because this is how I work : I start by the oldest request and do them in order, but I usually work on a lot of requests, and then upload them all at the same time, for I can’t do this with every computers and I have to be home to do so, but I can work on the check up of the spelling on paper everywhere… that’s why you can never know which transcription I’m done with (it can be done, but not posted yet)… I’m not sure I explain it well… do I ?

Now, I have edited my first post of this thread to show examples of fonts that fit with my transcriptions. So I’d like if those who ask for “Fernando Torres’ style” to express themselves about which one would be closer to it (I saw only bad pictures of it for now, maybe Tengwar Cursive would be a good choice ?)… I know that probably neither is exactly the same, but normaly a good tattoo guy should be able to modify it slightly according to what you ask.

And
tomw, what is the name you started with ? I read only gibberish :?
Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:01 am

And I have a few moments to give you some answers (others are coming soon) :

For
EssDubya :
Transcribed L-a-o-i-s-e as requested.

For
grand_magister :
Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:03 am

For arthur2811 : These are my transcriptions if we use English mode (names transcribed as English names).
Numbers were transcribed the same way they are in English (an elf would write them backyard, so 20 would be transcribed 02, etc., but I transcribed the same order than what you wrote).
You can remove the dots above the numbers if you want… officially, dots are not necessary because the numbers are already very different from the other Tengwar, but some people prefer to put them to emphasis the fact that they are numbers.

For
ronak918 : I also did all your transcriptions as if it was in English, like we already discussed a lot :). Hope you’ll like them !
See my comment for Arthur2811 (just above) about numbers.

Don't worry for the others, I have your requests in note and do them in time. Thanks for your comprehension and please don't repeat your requests.

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby EssDubya » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:20 am

Thank you SO much.... i'll post a pic of my tattoo when i get it!
EssDubya

Postby Isildilmë » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:03 am

Sorry Vea mi olori, I just re-read your post and I saw that you were talking about transcribing Quenya requests to Tengwar. I see no problem in letting you do them if you want, even if they're my favourites :wink: . Just tell me how you want to work. Will you come here from time to time to see if there is a pending request for transcribing Quenya in Tengwar and tell me when you decide to do one so that I don't work on it or if you prefer that I email you when I’m inundated and that some of the requests are Quenya, so that you can lighten my work ?

And
EssDubya, I'll be happy to see it :)
Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby arthur2811 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:49 am

thank you !!!!!!
arthur2811

Postby arthur2811 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:50 am

thank you !!!!!!
arthur2811

Postby antman1991 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:22 pm

Hey Isildilmë

just me again in relation to your "fernando torres" style question. The italic style that you transcribe in is really close to his tattoo and as you said a tattoo artist should be able to replicate that effect. So with that said would I be able to get the following transcribed please mate.

"Anthony"
"Corbett"
"Christine"
"Chelsea FC"

I appreciate how much you really try to give what everyone asks for.
Thank you so much I look forward to seeing the finished product
Anthony
antman1991

Postby Isabel » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:41 pm

Isildilmë wrote:For Isabel :
And same comment about numbers than last time.

Note that I made an exception for Isabel because of some circunstances, but I didn’t forget about the people that ask their transcription before and after, don’t worry ! I’ll post them asap !

Dearest Isildilmë,
THANK YOU a milion!!! Actually, our appointment is tomorrow so this trascript was just on time! I'll Let you know how it went, cause we're not sure just of just one last thing: annatal or
Maybe will need you once more :), but I'll let you know.
Once again thank you, thank you, thank you!! :lol:
Isabel

Next

Return to Language