READ ONLY-Official TENGWAR Transcriptions (and TATTOOS) - II

Tolkien's worlds were birthed out of his love of language and his work at creating new ones. Enter into discussions surrounding Tolkien's languages.

Postby Isildilmë » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:25 am

Tammy, what I understand is that you would like to have the names translated, and then transcribed. If it's the case, you must post first your request in the Official Quenya Translation Thread or the Official Sindarin Translation thread (depending on the language you prefer), and after you come back here with the final form of the names to transcribe.

Or if you just want the names to be transcribed directly into Tengwar, just precise it.
Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:58 am

For dreal :

Isildilmë Celumenarwissë Image
Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:58 am

For Anduril92 :

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:59 am

For Altair0823 : I want to tell you that I had no choice to treat the names as English names… but the result still says the same : “EU-G-ENE” and “Y-EV-G-EN-IY M-EL-N-YCH-UK”. It’s juste that there is no “code” to transcribe your language into Tengwar, so I use the code for English to transcribe them letter by letter.

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:00 am

For sarahsir :

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:02 am

For Harold309 : It’s a good idea to verify because Tengwar can indeed become complicated and it’s easy to make errors.

I made all your transcription using a Dutch transcription mode.
(there are two ways to write “h” in Dutch mode).
I did the transcription with Tengwar Annatar italic, which is the most wanted font I heard about, but there are plenty others on page 1. If you want, I can send you the symbols by email so you will be able to play with them (you might send me an email first so I get yours).

Or if it’s just that you want the 4 names in a circle, I can do it for you, but you must tell me which transcription you prefer for “hidde”.

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:03 am

For salorvenus02 :
For the next transcription I wasn’t sure if you wanted “Stay with me Forever or Stay Forever with Me” itself as a sentence, or both sentences “Stay with me Forever” and “Stay Forever with Me” to compare the two (I think this option might be what you meant), so I did both ways.

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:04 am

For Magdollen : I did yours earlier, as I always try to do when people post a personal and serious attempt of transcribing something by themselves :). And as far as I’m concerned, the “insert symbol” method is probably the best way to have a good looking transcription.

As I told you, I saw some errors in your transcription, but I must say that for a first try, it was very good. Here I show you my transcription of your text, in the three fonts you asked for. If you have questions in order to improve your skills in transcription, I have no problem in sharing what I can with you. You can also send me an email.

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:05 am

For avogel57 :
As you may see, the last line (different color) is a repetition of the preceeding line. I just changed the punctuation, to show you two types of punctuation that can express a “larger pause – end of paragraph”. You must choose ONE of the two.

I hope to see this art caption when it’ll be done !

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Gaardiyen » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:40 am

(Wrong forum sorry!)
Gaardiyen
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Isildilmë » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:38 am

For mickthewizard :
I give you two suggestions for the numbers : the first one is following the same order than in English, and the second one is following how an Elf would write it (backyard).
You can remove the dots above the numbers if you want… officially, dots are not necessary because the numbers are already very different from the other Tengwar, but some people prefer to put them to emphasis the fact that they are numbers.
I usually use dashes (-) or dots (at mid height) between the day-month-year. The former represent English “;”, and the latter, English “,” or “-“, so you may choose. I don’t think it will affect the meaning, so you may choose the one with the look you prefer ! In your transcriptions, I used the three-dots symbol because it represent the English dot, like what you used.

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:39 am

For RubyRed87 :
As I don’t know about any transcription for apostrophe, I just did as if there wasn’t one : “youre”...
And like I said to other peaple with similar requests : “I must say I’m not completly happy with this transcription because of the three dots. Here I show you the transcription for 3 times the symbol for a dot, but in English the 3 dots are representing ONE punctuation mark, so I would have loved to use a unique symbol to, but I don’t know about any official symbol in Tengwar system for the suspension dots. My others options could be interpreted as a final dot or the end of a paragraph (strong pause), but I cannot decide if that fits what YOU want and the meaning of your transcription : you are the one who can decide. If you have another idea for a punctuation that would replace the suspension dots and still would be ok for you, just tell me and I’ll show you what it looks like, if it exists in Tengwar.”

As your quote is a little paragraph, I thought it might fit to use the “Strong pause – paragraph ending” punctuation, so here I show you the last line with this different punctuation.

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:39 am

For leddy2286 : I show you the two ways of writing this Sindarin word.

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:40 am

For aav900 :

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:40 am

For Argurth :

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:41 am

For f9t_d :

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:41 am

For ybuenconsejo : As asked, I did the transcription in Tengwar Quenya and Tengwar Annatar, both in italic and bold.

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:42 am

For Ethos427 :
This is how I would transcribe it. To have an idea of the difference between a mode of Beleriand and a Tengwar/Tehtar mode, I suggest you have a look on some of my Sindarin transcriptions (as both modes are popular with this language, I usually do both). To recognize them quickly, look for transcriptions in green, as for leddy2286’s request (posted today).

Hope this will satisfy you… if not, help me to understand what you’re searching !

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:43 am

For Murchie : Hi, follower from Scotland !

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:43 am

For scott612 :

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:44 am

For GwenElf/Arwenelf : Hope this will “look correct” to you ! And thanks for your support, it’s always a good thing to see that what I would call “important characters” of TORC appreciate my intrusion in this thread !

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:45 am

For tony71 :
As I said when I first transcribed this name for another person a couple of days ago : “I give you two possibilities for “Ryan”… the first one is for if we consider the “y” as a consonant (as in “Yan”), and the second one if we consider it as a vowel (as in “country” or “may”)… normally I know what is the best so I give just the good suggestion, but I must say that this name brings me a doubt… I had the impression it plays both roles ! I would have the same hesitation with words like “flying” and all these which have the “y” following a consonant and preceeding a vowel… Maybe someone here (English speaker) can give me a hand on this for any future request in which I would meet the same problem ? Nevertheless, if you ask me my feeling about this, I would opt for the second transcription, taking the “y” as a vowel.”

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:46 am

For tiriboki : as asked, I transcribed this as an English “sentence”.

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:46 am

For Mandy :

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:48 am

For Katy884 :
As asked (and thanks, that shows you read a bit before asking !), I give you the result in both English and Elvish ways.
For each transcription, I also show you the two punctuations I usually use to replace the / in dates. The former represent English “;”, and the latter, English “,” or “-“, so you may choose. I don’t think it will affect the meaning, so you may choose the one with the look you prefer !

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:48 am

For broox159 : That is what I call an interested person : going through the whole thread (and the first !) is a proof of patience and interest, and I thank you for this. Thank you for your comment on it too !

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:49 am

For linnor : As you didn’t precise if you wanted the Annatar version to be italic or non, I assumed it was italic, as usual… if I was wrong, tell me.
I give you two suggestions for the numbers : the first one is following the same order than in English, and the second one is following how an Elf would write it (backyard).
You can remove the dots above the numbers if you want… officially, dots are not necessary because the numbers are already very different from the other Tengwar, but some people prefer to put them to emphasis the fact that they are numbers.
I usually use dashes (-) or dots (at mid height) between the day-month-year. The former represent English “;”, and the latter, English “,” or “-“, so you may choose. I don’t think it will affect the meaning, so you may choose the one with the look you prefer ! In your transcriptions, I used the three-dots symbol because it represent the English dot, like what you used.

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:49 am

For spiros166 : The Latin quote was transcribed with an English transcription mode, as there is no know Latin mode.

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:52 am

For pbradly : Thank you for your comment, I’m always happy to find people who can truly appreciate what I do here.

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:52 am

For illeria000 : Don’t worry, it was all but complicated !

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

PreviousNext

Return to Language