READ ONLY-Official TENGWAR Transcriptions(and TATTOOS)-III

Tolkien's worlds were birthed out of his love of language and his work at creating new ones. Enter into discussions surrounding Tolkien's languages.

Postby Sreb » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:15 pm

hi im really new at this and i just wanted to ask a little favor can you help me, i want to get: cuilië i lú
as a tattoo this week and ive tried to but it in tengwar quenya italic by myself but its simply not right can you please help me out?
many thanks
Sreb
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Stephaniet18 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:32 am

Hahaha I checked your transcription ;) I just had to make sure! You're right, it is a pretty reckless to just wholeheartedly trust a stranger on the Internet with something so permanent. then again, I don't think it's possible to be 100% sure (it IS fictional after all!) so the least we can do is to make sure it's as accurate as possible!

And Merry Christmas to you too! Have a great one!
Stephaniet18

Postby Isildilmë » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:53 am

Stephaniet18 wrote:Hahaha I checked your transcription ;) I just had to make sure! You're right, it is a pretty reckless to just wholeheartedly trust a stranger on the Internet with something so permanent. then again, I don't think it's possible to be 100% sure (it IS fictional after all!) so the least we can do is to make sure it's as accurate as possible!

And Merry Christmas to you too! Have a great one!

Well done ! And you're right, we can't be 100% sure, as Tolkien is dead... But I'm 100% sure that if he wasn't, he would be able to read all what I right very well.

Thanks for the greating :) I'll wait for the clean picture :wink:

BTW I saw the two new requests (Melethiel's et Sreb's)... I'm in a Christmas rush, but I should be able to do them for Friday. Sreb, it would be better to precise the language in which this is, because if I guess wrong, the result will also be wrong !
Concerning the Official Tengwar Transcription Thread - VI
To all the newbees, Welcome to TORC !
Before posting anything on this thread, READ THE INTRODUCTION. For now, I didn't have the time to update the intro, so I let you read the intro of thread #IV here.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the threads or by email (isildilme@hotmail.com - write "Tengwar" somewhere in the subject in case you fall in my junkmail, because if I don't know, I wont open the message !). Note that I don't accept transcription requests by email, you have to post them here !

You can address yourself to me in French, Spanish or English as you wish.

Special message : I have now two precious sons. They are my priorities, and an additional explanation for the delays in my answers. I WILL answer you... but you might have to wait. Thank you for your comprehension.
Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Melethiel » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:28 pm

Sounds good, thanks! :3
Last edited by Melethiel on Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Melethiel

Postby Gladhaniel » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:29 am

Salut Isildilmë,

Comme promis, je viens faire mon tour dans ton domaine pour te demander une nouvelle fois ton aide si précieuse. :D

J'aurais une demande de transcription pour une nouvelle idée de tattoo que j'ai eue récemment! :) Par contre, j'ai lu que tu es bien occupée ces temps-ci avec le temps des fêtes -- et je tiens à te dire que ma demande ne presse pas du tout. Sens-toi à l'aise de ne pas te dépêcher pour la faire si tu manques de temps ou si d'autres demandes sont plus pressantes!

Langue: Quenya
Police: Annatar Italic
Grosseur: à peu près comme ça & serait-il possible que tu me fournisses aussi les codes, pour que je puisse changer la grosseur en cas de besoin?

mírë ya calya endanya
mírë ya calya órenya
mírë ya calya coacalinanya

mírë calyála endanya
mírë calyála órenya
mírë calyála coacalinanya

Comme tu peux voir, il s'agit de deux phrases, chacune avec trois mots différents à la fin. :) Je ne sais pas comment tu t'arranges normalement avec ce genre de demande, mais pas obligé de faire les six au complet si tu as une méthode plus rapide qui fonctionne!

Un gros merci encore! :D
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

Postby Isildilmë » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:00 am

Dhani, ne t'inquiète pas ! Oui, je suis dans le rush, mais les fériés s'en viennent et j'aurai tout clairé sous peu, en fait dès que j'ai une petite demi-heure devant moi, donc ce vendredi ! Merci par contre de préciser que ça urge pas, ça aurait pu m'aider dans d'autres circonstances !

Si seulement tout le monde avait des requêtes aussi complète que la tienne... !

Et pour les 6 variantes, etc., les seules expressoins qui me viennent sont de l'ordre de "les deux doigts dans le nez"... J'aime bien la fonction "copier-coller", qui est très pratique dans ces cas :wink: alors t'inquiète pas encore une fois, tu auras les transcriptions et les codes pour chacun, c'est pas plus long et pas plus compliqué, et ce sera le même prix !
Before posting anything on this thread, READ THE INTRODUCTION. For now, I didn't have the time to update the intro, so I let you read the intro of thread #IV here.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the threads or by email (isildilme@hotmail.com - write "Tengwar" somewhere in the subject in case you fall in my junkmail, because if I don't know, I wont open the message !). Note that I don't accept transcription requests by email, you have to post them here !

Special message : I have now two precious sons. They are my priorities, and an additional explanation for the delays in my answers. I WILL answer you... but you might have to wait. Thank you for your comprehension.
Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby caaammm » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:24 pm

For caaammm :
Good luck for your first tattoo ! You’ll see, it doesn’t hurt that much. Think of sending me a pic after ! Please :D

Hi Isildilmë, sorry to be a pain! But is there any chance I could see it in Tengwar Annatar Italic Bold too? please! :)
caaammm

Postby Gladhaniel » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:37 am

Super, merci beaucoup!! :D :D
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

Postby flyingduster » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:38 pm

Isildilmë wrote:
flyingduster, thanks for the story, it really gives life to something that had no meaning to me by now :) Hope you'll have many love, laughter and positive loud noises (actually, with a baby you won't have to work very hard for this, maybe !) as long as it will make you happy... I agree that it's a better idea than to have his name tattooed, because well, if somethings happen, you may regret... but at the same time this quote will always be your link to him, so if something happens, you'll see him in your tattoo as well as if it was his name... at least that's my opinion... but I don't think it's a problem, because even if you someday end your lifes separatly, he will always have a role in your life, because you loved him, and he's the father of your son, etc. That's in fact why I can imagine myself having my hubby names tattooed someday... whatever happen, I'll never be abble to erase our love from me. mmm, that's cute ! I should note that for later :wink:

And you'll make me blush again with your praise ! :blush: I'll end regretting I gave you gibberish instead of a real transcription ! Just kidding ! :D

Edti : oh ! And a very merry Christmas to both of you too ! :D

haha, yeah I agree that if something happened and we split up (of course I'd like to say that will never happen! But you never know I guess...) then while the saying will still connect me to him, it wouldn't be as bad as having his name blatantly written on me... eg; my first tattoo was a gift from my ex for my birthday. It was my own choice of design and so forth, but it was a gift from him and it reminds me of him at times. I still love the design though, and it means something to me about my life, regardless of the fact I have since broken up with him. However if I had his name on me, even in tengwar or something (ie not in obvious english) that'd be just weird now. Awkward and weird!! I loved him, and I still get along with him now; many years later. But if I had his *name* tattooed on me, I dunno, the idea just weirds me out! lol! And yet I adore the design I got done as his gift to me...

And hence, I'm LOVING the design I'm working up for this tattoo, so even if we split one day (*touches wood*) I think I could still keep it and be happy with it, but I just couldn't get his name put on me... no matter how much I adore him. My son however, will ALWAYS be my son, no matter what! :)

Because you're working so hard so close to christmas, you get a sneak preview of my design so far: http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j162/ ... /tatt3.jpg I am still tweaking it all the time (ie, adding shading: http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j162/ ... att2-1.jpg) but I'll settle on something soon... :)
flyingduster

Postby AdventureTimeSUP » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:26 pm

Okay, second try :)

Here's the sentence: "Eru tortha i vanadh nîn"
and I want a transcription into Tengwar and I want it written in Sindarin.
And i'd like the Tengwar Sindarin font. The Italicized style!

(I hope this makes sense, correct me if it doesn't please)

Thank you so much!
AdventureTimeSUP

Postby Isildilmë » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:21 am

flyingduster, how cool is that ! If you want my opinion, with the shadow there is a little plus... because if you leave a space between the shadow and the letters and line, they will appear like glowing... in my tattoo we did that and I love it, really... but this is my opinion, and that doesn't mean you have to follow it !!!

AdventureTimeSUP, it absolutely makes sense to me :)

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:49 am

For Melethiel : Here are the two ways we can write your Sindarin name :

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:49 am

For Sreb : I would like you to answer my questions next time… I guessed it was Quenya, even if I’m not sure it’s good for I don’t know the word “cuilië”… whatever, I’m not even sure you will come back to see the result… so I did it as a Quenya quote, and here it is :

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:51 am

For Gladhaniel : Moi qui m’attendais à une requite en allemand de toi, j’ai été surprise ! Quoi que, pas tant que ça, vu les freeks que nous sommes.
Tu sais qu’on pourrait même faire du Na’vi en tengwar ? Dans le fond, j’imagine qu’avec un minimum d’infos sur la langue, je pourrais nous patenter un mode de transcription… mais comme je te dis l’idéal serait que tu me donnes les grandes lignes sur la prononciation et le style de construction de mots. Je te dis ça comme ça :wink:

Je te l’ai fait d’une grosseur semblable à ce que tu as demandé (je crois que c’est en fait un poil plus gros, mais c’est presque imperceptible !), et je t’envoie les codes à l’instant par courriel.

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:52 am

For caaammm :

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:52 am

For AdventureTimeSUP : Here are the two ways to write this Sindarin quote :

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Gladhaniel » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:05 am

Ohlàlà, c'est totalement magnifique! :) Mille mercis pour ton aide, j'apprécie énormément. :D

Eh bien, j'ai repensé à la discussion que nous avions déjà eue à propos de la signification que les langues ont pour nous, et des effets ou émotions qu'elles inspirent; et je me suis dit qu'après tout, le Quenya était la meilleure langue pour exprimer ce que les mots signifient dans mon coeur. :) J'adore l'allemand, mais c'est une langue que j'associe plus à un aspect concret et pratique, ce qui ne fonctionne pas pour mes lignes. De toute façon, je sais que c'est mon année en Allemagne qui est derrière les mots, alors côté "référence" ça ne change pas grand-chose. :)

Pour ce qui est du Na'vi, oui, je me souviens avoir déjà vu une demande de transcription autre part sur internet! Ça m'avait vraiment surprise. :D C'est certain que ça serait à considérer.. Je vais garder ça en tête. ;)

P.S. Merci beaucoup aussi pour les codes envoyés par email! :)
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

Postby Isildilmë » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:19 pm

Un réel plaisir, comme toujours ! :horse: Et j'ai bien hâte de pouvoir te transmettre mes inquiétudes soulevés par rapport au Quenya... c'est drôle comment nos conversations évoluent : on commence par courriel, on poursuit sur FB, on continue ici, on va probablement reprendre par courriel, etc. ! Difficile de tout dissocier quand on se côtoie dans plusieurs endroits ! Manque juste la "vraie vie" ! lol :D

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:11 am

Merry Christmas to everyone (for me, it's today !)

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby AdventureTimeSUP » Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:55 pm

Thank you so much! But I have ONE more question.

What is "Mode of Beleriand"? Sorry :( Just curious.
AdventureTimeSUP

Postby Melethiel » Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:56 pm

Isildilmë wrote:For Melethiel : Here are the two ways we can write your Sindarin name :

Oh my gosh it's so cool :yippie: Le hannon!
Melethiel

Postby jnrkwesi89 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:26 am

Spent hours looking at your translations love it.
jnrkwesi89

Postby jnrkwesi89 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:51 am

Hi Isildilmë,

I've always wanted to get a couple of tatoos in TENGWAR so I was wondering if you could translate a couple for me. In English :)

in sindarin Italic
Kwesi
Kryptonite
Eric
Josephine
Natasha
Christabel

and a bible verse in beleriand Italic;
"No one has greater love than to lay down his own life for his friends."

thanks
Last edited by jnrkwesi89 on Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
jnrkwesi89

Postby Gladhaniel » Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:16 am

jnrkwesi89 wrote:Hi Isildilmë,

I've always wanted to get a couple of tatoos in TENGWAR so I was wondering if you could translate a couple for me.

in sindarin Italic
Kwesi
Kryptonite
Eric
Josephine
Natasha
Christabel

and a bible verse in beleriand Italic;
"No one has greater love than to lay down his own life for his friends."

thanks

Could you please mention the language of each of those names, so that Isildilmë can easily find the appropriate transcription mode? :)
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

Postby FerMorilla » Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:59 pm

Hey there Isildilmë! Fisrt of all, Merry Christmas, wish you the best!

I spent quite a lot of time on the internet searching for some kind of "translator" to do my tattoo, and you seem to be one of the few people who does that kind of stuff, so THANKS!

I want to honor my little bunny that passed away on wednesday, so I was wondering if you can help me translate the sentence below:

Phrase: This too shall pass
English
Annatar Normal Bold and Annatar Italic Bold (both of them are really gorgeous, I can't choose, so if you can do both, I'd really apreciate it!)

Thanks again!
FerMorilla

translation please

Postby hailaliah » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:49 am

Hi, I put a post on another thread but i'll post on this one too because I was slightly confused on which one we had to post on :S

so I was just wondering if you could translate the following for me into the font "tengwar sindarin-normal" and they are all english quotes/words..THANKS!

1. Forever Young

2.Feed your head

3.Dream On

also my name, ALIAH

Your help is much appreciated, Thankyou in advance!
hailaliah

Postby SashaaNikora » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:35 am

Hi

I've been searching every where and i just cant find what im looking for do you think you could help me out??

Im wanting the zodiac Star signs translated..

Aries
Taurus
Gemini
Cancer
Leo
Virgo
Libra
Scorpio
Sagittarius
Capricorn
Aquarius
Pisces

Please and Thank, i would really appricate it :lol:
SashaaNikora

Postby Isildilmë » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:00 am

AdventureTimeSUP wrote:Thank you so much! But I have ONE more question.

What is "Mode of Beleriand"? Sorry :( Just curious.

There is controversy in that matter, but here is part of what I wrote to another poster with similar question :
    If my reading are right, at the beginning Sindarin was written with Cirth (the origins of the Runes latter used by Dwarfs). Then they decide to use Tengwar, even if in some writings we can still find Cirth. In Tengwar, the Mode of Beleriand would be the original and ancient mode, used by the Elves to write Sindarin. As an example, the inscriptions on the Gate of Moria are written with this mode, and normally it should be the one used at Imladris. The Tengwar/Tehtar mode (also called “classic mode”, or “Mode of Gondor”) would be the modern version used at Minas Tirith and by Men.

Melethiel, you're welcome :D

jnrkwesi89, thanks for your giving that time to my work :) I'll be happy to help you. Same for FerMorilla, merry Christmas too ! I'm sorry for your bunny... I know how it feels... And for hailaliah, no problem as well.

SashaaNikora, do you want me to treat these as English words ?

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

tattoo translation

Postby stefan gafner » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:07 am

hi,

for a long time i was looking for a translation site for tengwar and this site by far the best and was hoping u coult translate a sentence for me 2

woult be realy cool if u coult translate the sentence(tengwar annatar italic and tengwar cursife italic)

Keep your frends close but keep ure family closer

thanks alot and love ure translations work

stefan
stefan gafner

Postby Isildilmë » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:30 am

You're finally at the good place Stefan :)
I just saw that there are a couple of mistakes in your sentence, but I don't know if you really want it that way (I can do it) or if you prefer to correct it before ! For example, I guess you mean "friends" instead of "frends" and "your" instead of "ure"... just tell me if you prefer your phonetic version... maybe there is a reason why you write them this way and I respect that !

if it's because your language is not English, than you can also tell me what is your language and what is the quote in your language, so I may transcribe it directly into Tengwar.

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

PreviousNext

Return to Language