READ ONLY-Official TENGWAR Transcriptions(and TATTOOS)-III

Tolkien's worlds were birthed out of his love of language and his work at creating new ones. Enter into discussions surrounding Tolkien's languages.

Postby Isildilmë » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:37 am

For nbairner1 :
obviously with a 'u' in place of the '*'… sad thing, this kind of word should not be written with Tengwar… :oops:
Concerning the Official Tengwar Transcription Thread - VI
To all the newbees, Welcome to TORC !
Before posting anything on this thread, READ THE INTRODUCTION. For now, I didn't have the time to update the intro, so I let you read the intro of thread #IV here.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the threads or by email (isildilme@hotmail.com - write "Tengwar" somewhere in the subject in case you fall in my junkmail, because if I don't know, I wont open the message !). Note that I don't accept transcription requests by email, you have to post them here !

You can address yourself to me in French, Spanish or English as you wish.

Special message : I have now two precious sons. They are my priorities, and an additional explanation for the delays in my answers. I WILL answer you... but you might have to wait. Thank you for your comprehension.
Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:38 am

For flyingduster :
Before posting anything on this thread, READ THE INTRODUCTION. For now, I didn't have the time to update the intro, so I let you read the intro of thread #IV here.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the threads or by email (isildilme@hotmail.com - write "Tengwar" somewhere in the subject in case you fall in my junkmail, because if I don't know, I wont open the message !). Note that I don't accept transcription requests by email, you have to post them here !

Special message : I have now two precious sons. They are my priorities, and an additional explanation for the delays in my answers. I WILL answer you... but you might have to wait. Thank you for your comprehension.
Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:39 am

For Terri :
As there is no attested transcription for apostrophes, I just did as if there wasn’t any : “cant”...
ImageImage
ImageImage
Last edited by Isildilmë on Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:39 am

For SkaffaGiraffa :
ImageImage
Last edited by Isildilmë on Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:41 am

For cocofruzza :

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:41 am

For Jazzay :
ImageImage

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:42 am

For raiders1991 :

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby natina22 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:58 pm

hola, podría pedirte lo mismo en Tengwar Elfica Italic y en Tengwar Annatar Italic? Muchas gracias!!! (Nahui-Joaqui)
natina22
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Stephaniet18 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:29 am

Hey Isildilmë! Remember me? "It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live."

I'm back and I got my tatt done! I'm not sure how to post a pic on this forum so maybe I could email you instead? Let me know how! :)
Stephaniet18

Postby Isildilmë » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:39 am

Nice, I can't wait to see that ! And sure, you can email me ! I'll post it here for you after (I use photobucket.com to upload the pictures). There is always the button "email" at the end of my posts, but I think you cannot send files this way, so write me directly at isildilme@hotmail.com.

Natina22, si lo haré, pero no creo que podré ponerlo aqui antes de lunes.

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Stephaniet18 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:43 am

Alright! Sent! :)
Stephaniet18

Postby Isildilmë » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:47 am

But I may be unable to see it before tomorrow, because my email seems to be blocked at work... but I'll do it as soon as I access it :)

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Stephaniet18 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:50 am

Haha, there's no rush! Thank you again so much! I hope you like it ;) I do.
Stephaniet18

Postby Isildilmë » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:52 am

An elvish tattoo would need to be a real disaster not to please me :)
And whatever I think, if you like it, it's a success :D

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Stephaniet18 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:58 am

Haha, true but it really would be the icing on the cake if you liked it too! I don't want to spam the forum lol, but do let me know! :)
Stephaniet18

Postby natina22 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:12 am

ok muchas gracias!
natina22

Postby Isildilmë » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:22 am

Stephaniet18 wrote:I don't want to spam the forum lol, but do let me know! :)

we don't have often "real discussions" on this forum, but if you want my opinion it's something missing here (people just ask, receive, sometimes thank and go)... so there is no problem, as long as we don't get too far from the languages subject, otherwise there are other threads for that :D

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Stephaniet18 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:07 am

Haha all right ;) You've done literally thousands of transcriptions, which one was your favorite?

I think what you're doing is amazing bytheway. Not many people would've done what you're doing for free and even less would've stuck with it for so long. :O *hands you a trophy*
Stephaniet18

Postby Isildilmë » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:35 am

*blushes but accepts the trophy :wink:*

Yeah... actually more than 2150 transcriptions for here... I first thought I would just give a hand while there was nobody regularly here... but after almost 2 years I became linked to it !

My favorite ! What a hard question... I loved to do many of them, in fact all of them, but more when the sentences as a special meaning, or if the person tells me the meaning it as for him/her, so it gives the whole thing a personnal and "real" dimension... I like to do long and beautiful poems, and Tolkien quotes, and over all I have a preference for Quenya phrases as I have a fascination for this language... And of course, I'd say that I enjoyed working on the transcription for my own tattoo... which is logical ! It was in Quenya, composed by me refering to a passage in the Silmarillion (with a little help in the Quenya thread just to correct my translation), and then transcribed by me. It's one of the first serious transcription I made, and after I worked on the script to embellish it... when you put yourself in something, and give it an emotionnal dimension, it becomes very special !

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Stephaniet18 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:03 am

Haha, in that case, let me bore you with the story behind mine ;)
As a kid I had my whole life planned out; but didn't we all? Then I grew older, real life hit and the plan is still just a pipe dream. Went through a rough patch a few months ago, with all the stress of university applications and exams, and then I came across the quote in Harry Potter.

Seems fitting I would get it done in Elvish seeing my absolute two favorite series as a kid was LOTR and HP :) I must admit I have been toying with the idea of a tattoo for over a year before though!

Oh, and I'd love to see your tattoo if you don't mind!
Stephaniet18

Postby Jazzay » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:10 am

Thank you Isildilme!

Here's a picture of the tattoo I've designed using translations you've done for others in past posts.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/706/tattoo1b.jpg/

Hopefully I got it right! It's meant to say 'My heart and soul are yours, You'll never walk alone'

Thanks again, i'll post up pictures once the tattoo's are complete! :D.
Jazzay

Postby Isildilmë » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:41 am

Jazzay, you did it very well, but (there's always a "but" !) I can see at a first glance that the second line was transcribed by someone else because of the "u" used in "youll"... I would not say it's wrong, but as another Tengwar is used in "yours" and "soul" in the first line, if you want to keep things uniform you could ajust that. Here is the same quote I transcribed a while ago (I wasn't using invisible backgrounds yet !) :
As you can see, the rest is exactly the same !

Stephaniet18, thanks for sharing ! This makes so much sense, and it links two things you loved (and will surely continue to love, why not ?!) with you life and will also serve to remember you what is important... a very good project !

Btw I LOVED also both series (for LOTR I think you could guess it... !), that I read often, and in many languages.

And of course, you can see my tattoo, I posted it in these thread 3 or 4 times already (in fact, everytime someone asks for it, so I have an excuse to share it again and again) ! It's my Tribute to the Sheen, or "Tribute to the Moon" as I love to call it when people ask me what is on it... because the quote by itself doesn't mean anything for people who didn't read the Silmarillion, and to me there is also a personnal signification behind. It's in Quenya, but if I translate to English, it's written "Isil The Sheen, last flower from Telperion, souvenir/memory from Valinor and from a world that changed." So I prefer just to tell that it's related to a mythologic story about the birth of the moon... but look at me, I'm like a child again, you should not have let me start on this subject :P

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:48 am

I finally accessed my email ! :yippie:
So here is stephaniet18's tattoo ! (I croped it even more than what you did, because it as to fit here) :
And my comment, as you asked for it : I love it, the writing seems very well done (which is not the case for all tattoo artists), and it's very feminine. But with this picture it's not easy to really see how it's placed on you... What I see is that it seems to be from the armpit to the hip, but placed a little more on your back, not exactly on the side, and this place makes it even more feminine, good choice.

What this picture taken right after the tattoo ? I guess yes : we all have difficulty to wait until we remove the blood and ink of our skin, we need a picture NOW ! haha ! If you ever feel like sending another picture where it's cleaner and where we see more obviously how it's placed, I'll replace it in my collection, which I also post on my facebook account, except if you prefer I don't.

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Stephaniet18 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:45 pm

Ohmy, I love your tattoo! The detailing and especially the moon, it really pulled together :) I'm guessing you spent ages designing that until you finally got it just right!! And I think it's great that you're still so enthusiastic about your tattoo after so long ;)

Yeah, that picture was taken right after the artist announced he's done (lol) I was afraid I wouldn't get a decent picture during the recovery period. I'm glad you loved it! :D it is placed at the side of my back, like Hayden Pannetiere's (
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-MQ6gmMo6gzE/T ... tattoo.jpg). But sure, I'll get a picture once it's fully healed as well :)
Stephaniet18

Postby flyingduster » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:09 pm

Isildilmë you are wonderful! I love your tattoo too, and the story behind it!

The new transcription you just did for me looks amazing, so now I'm all inspired and am going to go work on it, along with our sons name, to design my tattoo! woot!

The story behind the "love, laughter and loud noises" is that when we were preparing for our wedding, we found a local place that makes custom titanium wedding rings. Part of the price of them included engraving the inside of it with a word/phrase. We thought about it for a long time, and "love and laughter" kept coming up, but it needed to be a third "L". We were being idiots one day, wrestling and just yelling and having fun when I did the classic scene from the movie "anchorman" and I yelled "LOUD NOISES", to which we both immediately decided needed to be the third "L" word in our rings (cos we're idiots, and tend to make loud noises for the fun of it) and so we have "Love, laughter and loud noises"! haha. I love the phrase, it's become very much "us", and now I have it transcribed, it is a way to honour our marriage without making the potential mistake of actually tattooing his name on me!

Thank you, you really are amazing doing these! And so many others!!! And for no better reason than you're awesome. hehe.

Now, a huge big merry christmas to you! I WILL come back with my design and with my final tattoo; I promise! <3
flyingduster

Postby Isildilmë » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:02 am

Stephaniet18, you guessed right, I worked a lot on it before I felt ready to get to the "forever" step ! I think that preparation and patience is the better way to be sure that you'll love the result forever, and that it is not something that will pass and that you'll get bored of. I realised that my love for Tolkien's world, elves, languages and script was just increasing with years in the last decade, as well as my fascination for the full moon, and the elvish story behind it... I always feel this spiritual atmosphere, nostalgic, a bit sad but so beautiful and mysterious... you should see me watching full moon every month ! A real child, I tell you !

All the contrairy of some people that get here and tell me : "Just discovered this thread, never thought it was possible to write whatever we want in Elvish writing ! I'd like to have [...] in Elvish, and please ASAP for my tattoo is in 1 week." :shock: First, they don't take any time to think : do I really want this script ? What do I know about it ? Does it fit with me or is it just because the movies are still "hot" and in vogue ? Will I like it in 10 years or will I feel stupid because this script is imaginary, the movies are not in vogue anymore and I wont have any other reasons to recall except "I thought it was beautiful"... Second, but that worth for everyone, they don't know me... I'm always a bit surprise when I realise how many people just take what I give them, believe me, often don't even try to understand how it was done, just to check if it makes sense or if I just hit keys randomly before posting gibberish, and get it inked ! :shock: Of course, I don't do that, I take all of this very seriously, and I do the transcriptions as accurate as my knowledge on the subject can permit me to, but you see what I mean ! I wouldn't be that confident with a stranger on the net ! Actually some people also double check, I have the proof when some of them ask me questions on why I used this symbol instead of that other one, etc.... but I think it's a minority of cases.

flyingduster, thanks for the story, it really gives life to something that had no meaning to me by now :) Hope you'll have many love, laughter and positive loud noises (actually, with a baby you won't have to work very hard for this, maybe !) as long as it will make you happy... I agree that it's a better idea than to have his name tattooed, because well, if somethings happen, you may regret... but at the same time this quote will always be your link to him, so if something happens, you'll see him in your tattoo as well as if it was his name... at least that's my opinion... but I don't think it's a problem, because even if you someday end your lifes separatly, he will always have a role in your life, because you loved him, and he's the father of your son, etc. That's in fact why I can imagine myself having my hubby names tattooed someday... whatever happen, I'll never be abble to erase our love from me. mmm, that's cute ! I should note that for later :wink:

And you'll make me blush again with your praise ! :blush: I'll end regretting I gave you gibberish instead of a real transcription ! Just kidding ! :D

Edti : oh ! And a very merry Christmas to both of you too ! :D

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Help me translate this Sindarin name into Tengwar?

Postby Melethiel » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:41 pm

Help me translate this Sindarin name into Tengwar?
With the Sindarin italic please

The word is Melethiel. It is my name in Sindarin.
Thank you in advance
:happydance:
Melethiel

Postby heckelucas » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:05 am

Isildimë,

Thanks for the transcription, it looks so beautiful that i don't wich one to choose. =1

By the way, i guess that before Christmas i'll get the tattoos and post the photos here.

A great hug and once again thank you for the amazing job.

Lucas Hecke.
heckelucas

Postby Isildilmë » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:11 am

I'm glad you enjoy it !

For natina22 : Aqui tienes los 4

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby natina22 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:36 pm

Muchas gracias! :wink:
natina22

PreviousNext

Return to Language