READ ONLY-Official TENGWAR Transcriptions(and TATTOOS)-III

Tolkien's worlds were birthed out of his love of language and his work at creating new ones. Enter into discussions surrounding Tolkien's languages.

Postby AndurilAvenger » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:34 am

"EVEN DARKNESS MUST PASS"
"A NEW DAY WILL COME"
"BROTHERHOOD"

Tengwar Sindarin

Thank you! I need it soon urgent! :-)
Last edited by AndurilAvenger on Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AndurilAvenger
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Isildilmë » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:01 pm

errrr... how urgent ?
I'm currently sick... I mean... really sick, at work because the work HAS to be done, but sleeping all the remaining time, with my head about to explode, my stomach complaining, and so on : zombie-like. Normally I should post your transcription Friday... is that quick enough ? I may do it for tomorrow, but for that I have to get up at 4 AM, and being sick I'd like to sleep a bit more... if it's not too much to ask for you :)
Concerning the Official Tengwar Transcription Thread - V
To all the newbees, Welcome to TORC !
Before posting anything on this thread, READ THE INTRODUCTION. For now, I didn't have the time to update the intro, so I let you read the intro of the preceeding thread here.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the threads or by email (isildilme@hotmail.com - write "Tengwar" somewhere in the subject in case you fall in my junkmail, because if I don't know, I wont open the message !). Note that I don't accept transcription requests by email, you have to post them here !

You can address yourself to me in French, Spanish or English as you wish.

Special message : I have now a precious son, born on November 24th. He is my priority, and the explanation for the delays in my answers. I WILL answer you... but you might have to wait. Thank you for your comprehension.
Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby AndurilAvenger » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:08 pm

Take your time sir. Hope you feel better soon :-)
AndurilAvenger

Postby stefan gafner » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:15 pm

ye srry lol my englisch is not that good coult u translate it the way u sed it

keep your friends close but keep your family closer

thanks alot :)
stefan gafner

Postby AndurilAvenger » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:38 pm

I don't know if this will help/speed things up but I found a transcription you made before: 1) Even Darkness must Pass 2) A New Day Will Come http://forums.theonering.com/viewtopic.php?p=3961970

All I want is those transformed into Sindarin (normal) form.

But take your time and feel better soon!!!!
Last edited by AndurilAvenger on Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AndurilAvenger

Postby AndurilAvenger » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:43 pm

I don't know if this will help/speed things up but I found a transcription you made before: 1) Even Darkness must Pass 2) A New Day Will Come

All I want is those transformed into Sindarin (normal) form.

But take your time and feel better soon!!!!
AndurilAvenger

Postby Isildilmë » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:04 pm

nah, this doesn't change anything... well, it could have helped, because I could just copy the line from my working document and change the font, but not this time... because I was already done, actually :D
BTW be very careful not to change your request editing a previous post : once I see the request, I copy it directly in my working document, and I don't go back to the post, except if I have a reason to, as if you tell me you changed it. So when you said you want the two lines, I was like "what ? it was only written "EVEN DARKNESS MUST PASS" !"... and then I checked, and saw you changed it. Normally I would not have seen it, and you would not receive the other quotes.

As I said, I'm done with your transcriptions, but the problem is to transfer them as images... that is why I'll let you wait until Friday.

I'm also done with the others, except SashaaNikora's, because I'm waiting for an answer.
Before posting anything on this thread, READ THE INTRODUCTION. For now, I didn't have the time to update the intro, so I let you read the intro of the preceeding thread here.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the threads or by email (isildilme@hotmail.com - write "Tengwar" somewhere in the subject in case you fall in my junkmail, because if I don't know, I wont open the message !). Note that I don't accept transcription requests by email, you have to post them here !

Special message : I have now a precious son, born on November 24th. He is my priority, and the explanation for the delays in my answers. I WILL answer you... but you might have to wait. Thank you for your comprehension.
Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby SashaaNikora » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:54 pm

Hmmm i dont really know what you mean sorry.. all i know is i want the writting that your doing for all the others..

Hopefully you understand me..

I want them in the Tengwar language..
like how others have asked for you to do names and you have done them in Tengwar

Hopefully you understand what i mean do what ever you think is best..
Thanks Heaps
SashaaNikora

Postby Isildilmë » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:21 am

well... did you read the introduction post of this thread ? This is the first thing you should do when arriving in a new thread...

Tengwar is not a language. It's a script, a lettering system. You can write all the languages with Tengwar, as well as you can write all the languages with Roman letters (what is for us the normal letters, and that we can use for everything, even for Chinese, but the language is still Chinese, you see ?).

The particularity with Tengwar is that depending on the language your transcribing, the Tengwar will correspond to different letters or combinations, because of the particularities of the language itself. For example, in Quenya there is no "d" alone, so there is no need for a Tengwa that represent a "d" alone, so the Tengwa represent "nd", while in English we need a Tengwa for "d", so the meaning of this Tengwa change depending on what language you are writing.

That is why I always need to know what language I'm transcribing. All the transcriptions in dark blue you see here are made from English. The pink ones are from Quenya, and the Sindarin are in green. Some other languages are use, but less often.

I think the Zodiac signs' names are in Latin... but I don't think there is a mode telling us how to use Tengwar to write Latin. So I propose to treat them as English words, and to use the English code to transcribe them. I was just asking if you agree with that before I work on them, not to work for nothing. The result will look elvish because it will be written in Tengwar, but it will still be in English (as for all the dark blue transcriptions of this thread).

Is this clearer for you ?

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:22 am

sorry, double post

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Tattoo request

Postby PurpleOcean » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:31 pm

Hi!

I'd like this quote to be written in Tengwar Annatar Italic, and Tengwar Quenya Italic:

"Be the change you want to see in the world."

It's for a tattoo.
Thanks in advance!

P.S.: What sources do you use to do the writing? I've been searching on the internet and I found so many different alphabeth's, so many different rules.. From what I heard, Tolkien changed his mind quite some times, so I assume that's the reason for all the different alphabeth's and rules..
And so I was wondering, where did you found your info?

The main reason I want this to be written by someone else, is because of the word "change".. I tried to translate this sentence myself, and most of the words I found out how to write it, even with all the different rules, most of the times it comes down to same.. But the word "change" has two sounds which I don't know how to write.. "ch" and "nge".. On most alphabeth's I found, the "ch" sound is written the same as the "c" (or 'k') sound, but when searching on this topic, I found out you use two different symbols (correct me if I'm wrong :wink: )..

Most of the alphabeth's you find on the internet, aren't complete enough for all different sounds (like that "nge"-sound.. Because I didn't find it in any alphabeth I found, I assume this sound didn't exist in the elvish language???), so how did you find out about that?

I just ask because I want to make sure. I don't want my girfriend to get a tattoo of something that eventually appears to be wrong.. But it's too difficult to do it myself, since there are way too many different sources :)

Is there maybe any way you could send an alphabeth or something (or just the info you use to write) ?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not questioning your skills or anything, I'm just confused because of all the differences in every alphabeth I found.. :wink:
PurpleOcean

Translation

Postby berg_88 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:15 pm

Hi there Isildilme! First time I've ever done this kind of thing so forgive any mistakes. All the work that you do is amazing.

I was wondering if you could put the following 2 things into Tengwar Annatar (Italic style),

1. Bergess

2. Hearty

They are both surnames and both in English

Thanks for taking the time to do this!!
berg_88

Postby SashaaNikora » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:00 pm

Okay I understand. Sorry for the confusion. I really dont know what to do one sites like this. But yup treat as English
SashaaNikora

Postby SashaaNikora » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:58 pm

Oh and when or if you can, can you please translate this

"God will give me strength."

Tengwar Sindarin

Hopefully I have requested right this time
Cant thank you enough I know iv been less helpful
This is for a tattoo

Thanks
SashaaNikora

Re: Tattoo request

Postby Isildilmë » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:28 am

berg_88 and SashaaNikora, your requests are perfect... I may take a few more days than usual to answer because 1) I'm still sick and 2) I'm on vacation, but I will answer. SashaaNikora, you'll have your first request in a few minutes because it was ready before you posted the second.
PurpleOcean wrote:P.S.: What sources do you use to do the writing? I've been searching on the internet and I found so many different alphabeth's, so many different rules.. From what I heard, Tolkien changed his mind quite some times, so I assume that's the reason for all the different alphabeth's and rules..
And so I was wondering, where did you found your info?

The main reason I want this to be written by someone else, is because of the word "change".. I tried to translate this sentence myself, and most of the words I found out how to write it, even with all the different rules, most of the times it comes down to same.. But the word "change" has two sounds which I don't know how to write.. "ch" and "nge".. On most alphabeth's I found, the "ch" sound is written the same as the "c" (or 'k') sound, but when searching on this topic, I found out you use two different symbols (correct me if I'm wrong :wink: )..

Most of the alphabeth's you find on the internet, aren't complete enough for all different sounds (like that "nge"-sound.. Because I didn't find it in any alphabeth I found, I assume this sound didn't exist in the elvish language???), so how did you find out about that?

PurpleOcean wrote:Is there maybe any way you could send an alphabeth or something (or just the info you use to write) ?

Starting with this last question, I'm afraid I have to answer "no"... not because I don't want to share, but because I don't have 1 source I can propose you... Indeed, many modes are circulating, some being adaptations made by fans, some are from Tolkien, some are based on pronunciation, others more on orthography, some are a mix, and all can be good, partly good, because Tolkien used many different modes himself. So I made a lot of researches, and I had to take infos here and there, in order to obtain something complete enough and logical enough too. I changed my mind on some points with my continuous reading (not that my old transcriptions are not good, but I decided with time to opt for some subtilities and to leave others, etc. None of my sources is complete, well no to my taste, so I prefer not to send any, because it can get confusing ! But if you ever want to do transcriptions yourself and want me to check them, explain you why I would do this or that, and so on, it will be a pleasure.

And btw, I use more a orthographical mode, with some concerns about pronunciation, and I know Tolkien was sometimes doing this too, and many other transcribers, so I think it's one of the good ways to do it.

Yes, a same letter combination can be transcribed with different Tengwar... sometimes because of the language we transcribe (the sounds and letters in Quenya, Sindarin, and English are different, and so are the transcriptions modes), and that can be a reason why you saw these differences. You may also see that depending on the language, the vowels are placed a different way. In my work, I identify the different transcription modes used with different colors. There is also this consideration for pronunciation in some cases. "ch" in English is a good example. You saw (good observation, btw) that in some cases I use a tengwa that in other transcriptions represents a "c/k". It's because in the transcription mode I use, the tengwa for the Quenya "c/k" represents in English the "ch" as in "change". I also now use a different tengwa for the English "ch" with a "k" sound, as in "Christopher", and maybe you saw this too, and it added confusion ! :D

And for the "nge", well, I use the tengwa for English "ng", and the tehta for the silent e. You'll see all that when I'll answer your request with the complete transcription.

PurpleOcean wrote:I just ask because I want to make sure. I don't want my girfriend to get a tattoo of something that eventually appears to be wrong.. But it's too difficult to do it myself, since there are way too many different sources :)

PurpleOcean wrote:Don't get me wrong, I'm not questioning your skills or anything, I'm just confused because of all the differences in every alphabeth I found.. :wink:

I perfectly understand... in fact I'm always surprised of how few people questions on this kind of points... they just take my word (a stranger's word) and go, and have a tattoo ! :shock: And you would absolutely have the right to question my skills too, I have no certificate or proof of what I'm saying ! Just a lot of research and passion, and practice.

Don't forget that the other transcription modes (different when compared to mine) can be as good too. There's a lot to do with preferences and opinion, as Tolkien let us many stuff and is not there anymore to tell us what to do. So what I'll give you is accurate in my opinion, and normally all the transcribers will be perfectly able to read it, even if they would not write it the same. But their suggestions can be as good too. As long as you make your choice and stick to it after (better not to mix different modes in a transcription !), you're ok. Don't worry for her tattoo. I wouldn't have got my transcriptions tattooed on my own skin if I wasn't confident with the stuff I found :)

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:36 am

For jnrkwesi89 :
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:37 am

For FerMorilla : It was a good idea not to rely on the automatic transcribers that can be found on the internet… I don’t know any that is really complete by now.

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:38 am

For hailaliah :

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:38 am

For SashaaNikora :

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:39 am

For stefan gafner :

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:40 am

For AndurilAvenger :

And... that's enough for today... :hihi:

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:13 am

Oh ! I just saw that we hit the 2000th post in this thread ! Time for my closing message ! Here it is :

Hello everyone ! Once again, I must warn you that this thread will be closed after this post. The reason of this is that it’s getting too big ! Either I’m too productive, or I’m a real chatterbox… or a mix of both… anyway, the rules are the rules, so we have to move on !

But don’t worry, nothing is over ! :) I've created a new thread, named Official Tengwar Transcription Thread (and TATTOOS) - IV (click on the link to access the thread).

There is no need to post your request there again if you already posted it here, because I have all of them in note and I'll answer in time. The answers will be on the new thread.

Now please
don't put anything more on this thread , I'd like if this message could be the last so that everybody who visit it will know where to go reading the last post. A moderator will close officially the thread as soon as he/she passes by. If you post something here, I’ll ask him/her to erase it.

See you in Tengwar IV !

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Previous

Return to Language