Elvish signature from 1st printing Smith of Wootten Major

Tolkien's worlds were birthed out of his love of language and his work at creating new ones. Enter into discussions surrounding Tolkien's languages.

Elvish signature from 1st printing Smith of Wootten Major

Postby SAllison » Thu May 12, 2011 5:17 am

I have a 1967 1st printing copy of Smith of Wootten Major in my collection with an odd signature. I'm hoping someone can enlighten me as to what it says?

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/577/photoyf.jpg
SAllison
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Isildilmë » Thu May 12, 2011 12:59 pm

Everything depends on the starting language... and the transcription mode (code) that the person used.

if it's English, I read "acot osighl", which as no sense for me...
    if it's in Quenya, I read "quato sonquil" ("kwato sonkwil")... someone can verify in the Quenya thread (I don't have my quenya material here, so I can't tell you if this exists and what it would mean)
    if it's in Sindarin, I read the same as in English, but I'm not more sure it means something !

There is always the possibility that the person uses a different transcription mode, or misunderstand Tengwar (for example, the first letter of the second word should be inverted normally, so I guess this person didn't know that... and maybe didn't know some other things)... If the person tried to write an English or Sindarin word but was confused with the way the vowels should be placed, then it can be "cato soghil"... don't know if that would have more sense... but it looks more like a name then "acot osighl" !

If you have more details so I could help you better, just tell me !
Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Vea mi olori » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:48 am

From what I can see, that sound very Quenya, although the actual sense doesn't mean much. quat-is a verb meaning "to fill", and theocan only really be a genitive marker, making it "of to fill, fill's". Sonquilsounds familiar, but I couldn't say where it's from or what it is.
Vea mi olori
Shield Bearer

Return to Language