Official Tengwar Transcription Thread (and TATTOOS) - IV

Tolkien's worlds were birthed out of his love of language and his work at creating new ones. Enter into discussions surrounding Tolkien's languages.

Official Tengwar Transcription Thread (and TATTOOS) - IV

Postby Isildilmë » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:11 am

EXPLANATIONS FOR THIS THREAD !!!
Please read : I know it’s long, but it will help me to give you the best transcription I can

Hi everybody and welcome on the fourth
Official Tengwar Transcription Thread !!! :hihi: I open this thread almost exactly two years after I started giving transcriptions here at TORC… Happy birthday to me ! :lol:

WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN TRANSCRIBING INTO TENGWAR AND TRANSLATING IN “ELVISH”
So you can post here all the Tengwar transcription you need. Tengwar is not a language. It's a script, a lettering system. You can write all the languages with Tengwar, as well as you can write all the languages with Roman letters (what is for us the normal letters, and that we can use for everything, even for Chinese, but the language is still Chinese, you see ?).

The particularity with Tengwar is that depending on the language your transcribing, the Tengwar will correspond to different letters or combinations, because of the particularities of the language itself. That is why I ask later in this post to always precise in what language your quote to transcribe is.

So if you want your word/sentence to be
translated in an Elvish language first, you may post first in the appropriate translation thread. For Quenya, go on the Official Quenya Translation Thread, and for Sindarin, the Official Sindarin Translation thread. Then come back with the final sentence and ask for transcription in Tengwar. To learn more on the story of the languages created by Tolkien, visit the Elvish Language FAQ.

Another way to do it is to keep the word in English (or whatever other language) and transcribe it directly in Tengwar. Tell me in what language your request is, so I may use a transcription mode which is more appropriated to it. The more details you give, the more easy it is for me to give you a good answer.

LANGUAGES FOR WHICH I HAVE A TRANSCRIPTION MODE
Here are the languages for which I already have a transcription mode (made by Tolkien or by fans adapting his work) which seems reliable. Notice that I don’t speak all of these ! I used already the majority of these, but not all, so I may have bad surprises when the time comes, and realise that I can’t use them. The different colors permit me to identify which mode I’m using. I normally use the corresponding color (in the past, it was not always the case for some languages, but I should be able to respect my own system by now !).

If your language is not listed here, it doesn’t mean it can’t be done. Ask me and I’ll see if I can find a decent transcription mode for it. If not, we can just take your request and treat it as if it was written in English or another language, transcribing it letter by letter, or by phonetic. Everything can be done.

HOW ACCURATE ARE THE TRANSCRIPTIONS ?
I’m sad to inform you that Tolkien, which was the only one who could really decide of what was better, is dead :(. Before this sad event, he created a lot of transcription modes and that is the reason why you can have a different answer asking to different people, and both can be good ! To me, there is never a unique good transcription for a word :woah:. My transcription mode for English is mostly orthographic, with some concerns about phonetic. For other languages, it depends.

AND WHO AM I, BY THE WAY ?!
For now, I’m the only regular transcriber here. I’m not a moderator and I’m not an official reference in TORC (but with time I guess I gained recognition !). I just looove to do this : translate and transcribe. So the transcriptions I offer you reflect my opinion... but as far as I’m concerned, they're accurate... or at least they respect some writings by Tolkien the great Master. As I said, many transcription modes are circulating... If someone else is interested in doing some transcriptions here too, just tell me and we’ll see what we can do ! These threads are not my property, but with the time, as I took charge of the end of #I, the whole life or #II and III, and as I’m now giving birth to #IV, they became my babies, so I like to be consulted… thanks for understanding !

NOW, THE MOST IMPORTANT PART TO READ BEFORE YOU ASK FOR ANYTHING !
This is what you should tell me in order to have the best transcription (you wouldn’t want any errors, would you ?!) :

1. the name/quote/whatever you want to be transcribed
  2. the language in which it is (if you don’t specify, I may think it is English…)
  3. the font(s) you want (see the end of this post for examples, be as precise as possible)
  4. any other details that may help generating the best transcription possible

Don’t hesitate in giving me the story behind, it’s funny, sometimes, to see how they give life to these otherwise cold requests !

If your request is not complete, I may ask you to read this post and complete it :), or I may guess and if I guess wrong, it is not my problem !

THE WAY I PROCEED
Now here is the way I’m personnally working : I take note of every request and try to do them in order, with some exceptions if I have a very good reason ! Having your appointment already scheduled is NOT a good reason. If you post a transcription you made by yourself that you want me to check, I usually work on your request sooner. And please, no double-post !. And I’m not constantly confirming I saw every post. If you post a request and you can see your post on the thread, I can see it too, and I’ll see it. If I don’t answer, it’s because you are on my list and I don’t have questions for you because your request is clear enough. If you see that I answer to people who posted after you, and you are afraid I skipped you (always possible, I think it happened like 4 times on over 2000 transcriptions), just ask me if I forgot you.

So note that I’ll start with the last requests that were made on the third transcription thread which is now closed, and then I’ll go on with what will be posted here. No need to post again if you did it on the third thread before my closure message. You can also visit this thread, the second transcription thread and the first transcription thread if you want to see examples of what I do (I have started transcribing on these thread in January 2010).

One last thing :
please be patient. I have a lot of work :bookworm: and I can put the transcription in my computer and then transfer in on the thread just when I’m home and have free time, which doesn’t occur that often. But I’ll end up doing your transcription, don’t worry.

And sorry for my horrible English... you may have noticed that it is not my native language at all ! :roflmbo:

THE FONTS
Now here are a few examples of fonts that you can ask for, using my name as an example. If you have other fonts and would like to know if they fit too, just send them or post a link to them ! Here is a key of abbreviations you can use (I’m trying something new with these abbreviation, lets see if it will work !) :
    (R) = regular
    (I) = italic
    (R+B) = regular + bold
    (I+B) = italic + bold
For example, if you want “Tengwar Annatar Italic, Tengwar Annatar Regular and Tengwar Sindarin Regular Bold”, you can ask me for “TA-I, TA-R and TS-R+B”. Please always precise the font and the style.

And here is a list of some Tengwar fonts that are incomplete or not compatible with my system, so I suggest we don’t use them if possible (I post the list in case you know these fonts).
    Tengwar 03
    Tengwar 04
    Tengwar 05
    Tengwar-Gandalf
    Tengwar Marzabul
    Tengwar Quenya 1 (incomplete)
    Tengwar Quenya 2 (incomplete)
    Tengwar Quenya-A
    Tengwar Typewriter

P.S. : to add a new comment or request, click on “Post a reply” at the top or bottom of a page, not on “Post a new topic” !

If you need to join me for any reason (if you have an image to send me, a question you prefer not to ask here, etc.), feel very free to email me clicking on the button at the bottom of any of my posts, or directly with your email at
isildilme@hotmail.com. Don't feel sorry to do so, this email was made for this ! But to be fair with everybody, I ask you to be sure you post your request here, and not just at my email. I make my request list using the thread only.

:TORC:
Last edited by Isildilmë on Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:49 am, edited 5 times in total.
Concerning the Official Tengwar Transcription Thread - VI
To all the newbees, Welcome to TORC !
Before posting anything on this thread, READ THE INTRODUCTION. For now, I didn't have the time to update the intro, so I let you read the intro of thread #IV here.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the threads or by email (isildilme@hotmail.com - write "Tengwar" somewhere in the subject in case you fall in my junkmail, because if I don't know, I wont open the message !). Note that I don't accept transcription requests by email, you have to post them here !

You can address yourself to me in French, Spanish or English as you wish.

Special message : I have now two precious sons. They are my priorities, and an additional explanation for the delays in my answers. I WILL answer you... but you might have to wait. Thank you for your comprehension.
Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Daefaroth » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:29 pm

Sreb wrote:oh my! thank you so much! i just saw the posts! i had to leave early for the mountains and i didnt have any internet, i literally just touched down to civilization. i'm so sorry i couldn't respond earlier! and yes it as quenya thank you so much again!

Transferred from previous thread.
- - - - - Welcome to TORC - - - - -

- There are helpful Announcements at the top of most forums. Please read them.
- Need more help? Check the Adoption Forum.
- Premiere Membership helps support TORC.
Aspire not to rapid, large postcounts, for this only enhances the taste of a spammer,
when roasted with the Breath of Death and served with "Blair’s 16 Million Reserve" sauce.

Enjoy your visits. Remember to mind your manners.

Daefaroth *at* theonering -dot- com -OR- moderators *at* theonering -dot- com
Daefaroth
The Shadow Hunter

Postby Isildilmë » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:34 am

Thanks Daefaroth ! And Sreb, I'm happy you finally saw it an like it !

I wont be posting any transcriptions here today (I need to rest a bit if I want to cure this cold), but I'll start working on all the request I received by now.

I just came to wish everybody a "happy New-Year day". "May a star shine on your new year".
Before posting anything on this thread, READ THE INTRODUCTION. For now, I didn't have the time to update the intro, so I let you read the intro of thread #IV here.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the threads or by email (isildilme@hotmail.com - write "Tengwar" somewhere in the subject in case you fall in my junkmail, because if I don't know, I wont open the message !). Note that I don't accept transcription requests by email, you have to post them here !

Special message : I have now two precious sons. They are my priorities, and an additional explanation for the delays in my answers. I WILL answer you... but you might have to wait. Thank you for your comprehension.
Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby flyingduster » Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:15 pm

just popping on to wish you a (late) Merry Christmas and happy new year Isildilmë! And congrats on nearly 2 years and the 'birth' of the FOURTH thread already! Well done!!! Especially during the silly season and being so ill... Get well soon! :)
flyingduster
Petitioner to the Council

Postby k_desty » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:05 pm

Hello:)
I was hoping to get translation for these quotes and names. All english.
Normal & Italic!

names:
"Kathy"
"Kasia"

quotes:
"do or do not, there is no try"
"where there's life, there's hope."

Thanks and Happy New Year!
k_desty~*
k_desty

My next first LOTR tattoo

Postby Marl3n » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:07 am

Hi there! (Hope this won't be concerned as a second post, as I'm a newbie here and therefore prone to errors ;P)

First, I must say you are doing an EXCELLENT job! Cheers!

I have been wanting to have a new tattoo for quite sometime now & I was about to give it up when I discovered your forum. I spent the last 4 days READING ALL THE PREVIOUS THREADS, hoping to find the expression I want. I found it, but I was wondering whether it is possible to have it in:
Tengwar Annatar (R)
Tengwar Annatar (I)
Tengwar Annatar (R+B)
Tengwar Annatar (I+B)
Tengwar Cursive (I)

The phrase is: Wake your dreams

Million thanks in advance!!!

P.S. I would like to connect the last letter of the word 'dreams' to a quilted feather.. Dunno whether it will change anything of the script... :? :? :? :?
Marl3n

Postby geocacher » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:46 am

I have a puzzle that I believe is in tengwar cursive. Could anyone transcribe it if I can figure out how to get it on this page?

Thanks!
geocacher

Postby Litraya » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:59 pm

Hello. I'm hoping to get a couple tattoos of a quote that's very important to me, and my little sister who passed aways name.

The quote I want transcribed is: As Supple As The Wind

The name: Amelia

It's English.

I would like to see them both in TA-R and TA-R+B

Litraya

Postby Isildilmë » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:31 am

Hi everyone, I just come to say hi, to reasure you that I'm still there reading you, but I'm still on vacation AND sick, so there are gonna be some delays for the answers (were talking about days or a week, not months, ok ? :)).

flyingduster, how nice ! Thank you, I'm very proud to be still there and at #4 already ! I wish you a very good year too !

k_desty, there is no problem, your request is clear, you only omited the name of the font you want, so I guess it's Tengwar Annatar ? :?

Marl3n, wow, thanks for taking this time to verify before asking for nothing ! I'm not surprised it took 4 days, there is so much stuck in here ! Don't worry, even if you're a newbie (as 99% of the people posting here), you're doing it perfectly. And thanks for being the first to use part of my font abbreviation system ! :D I'm not sure of what you want to do with the feather, there are chances that I can play a bit with the end of "dreams", but it would be easier if you show me what you have in mind... maybe if you can post a drawing of it using normal letters, just to show me the final style ? If it's too complicated, I'll just try some styles and you'll tell me if that is sufficient...

geocacher, of course this is something I can do... if it's in another language, we may need help from other threads after I transcribe it into roman letters, but the first step is here. To post an image here, you have to upload it first. I use Photobucket.com (create a free account), I upload the image, I copy the link here and there you go ! There are other sites that do the same (I'm not trying to make publicity for photobucket ;)).

Litraya, your request is perfect, thanks for the details... I'm so sorry for your sister, this must be a terrible step to live.

I'll be back soon with some transcriptions (I have some requests from thread #3 to post first, after I continue with all of you).

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

SORRY, DOUBLE POST

Postby Marl3n » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:21 am

I apologize, (AGAIN double post)
Last edited by Marl3n on Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marl3n

Postby Marl3n » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:26 am

Dear Isildilme,

sorry to hear you are sick (especially during holidays)... Get well soon :)

I have tried to attach the picture of the feather tattoo but as u can see, with NO success, therefore I just copied & pasted the link (hope it's ok..)

http://dafashions.com/feather-tattoos/f ... tattoos-2/

My idea is similar to your tattoo (the direction of the script). Don't know how to describe it in English (not my native language as you have already suspected :P), but it's gonna be at the back of my left shoulder. The letters will start from the down side of the body going up, but the feather will be as in the pic.

I am really anxious to see what you'll do :o But I might reschedule my appointment for the tattoo as it is for next week. I should have asked how long it takes for the scripts and I now realize you have lots & lots to do :) I will wait my turn.

Greetings from Cyprus! (and again THANKS :) )[/quote]
Last edited by Marl3n on Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marl3n

SORRY, DOUBLE POST

Postby Marl3n » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:26 am

Sorry, newbie here...
Last edited by Marl3n on Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marl3n

Postby Marl3n » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:36 am

SORRY bout the numerous previous posts... REALLY don't know what happened :oops:
Marl3n

birthday

Postby benl612 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:50 pm

I hope i posted in the right place this time...
Im a newbie to the forum but ive loved LOTR for as long as i can remember. For my 18th Birthday which is coming up next month i was hoping to get some LOTR tattoos. :) i was hoping you could help me translate and transcribe a few classic words and phrases using Tengwar Cursive (Regular, Italic and Italic + Bold.) Thank you!!!

Fate
Reason
Madness

There is Always Hope

Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost

and if its not too much to ask i would like to see Bilbo's poem in its entirety

All that is gold does not glitter
Not all those who wander are lost
The old that is strong does not wither
Deep roots are not reached by the frost

From the ashes a fire shall be woken
A light from the shadows shall spring
Renewed shall be blade that was broken
The crownless again shall be king

Again thank you. hopefully you can make my birthday a very special one.
benl612

Postby k_desty » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:03 pm

yes! Tengwar Annatar would be great :)
k_desty

Hi again im back :)

Postby aav900 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:10 pm

Happy new year and merry laaaate chistmas
i hope everything is well and that youre not so busy lately...
I was wondering if you could transcribe to tengwar cursive this quote
"Happiness depends upon ourselves"
thak you very much
aav900
Citizen of Imladris

Postby FerMorilla » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:02 pm

oh my Isildilmë, you are THE BEST!

I just loooooved your translation, I'm going to call my tattoo artist first thing in the morning (because if I call him now he'll be really pissed off, it's 1 AM here in Brazil!)

I'm sorry I didn't answered sooner to thank you, I don't know why I'm not receiving emails from the forum...

Anyway, thank you so much for taking your time to help us, specially during the holidays and specially because you were sick. You're yhe best and I mean it!

Let me know if you ever come to Brazil some day!

Love, Fer.
FerMorilla

For Tattoo translation please

Postby mk4646 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:09 pm

TM italic
TM italic and bold

Single words

"Love"
"Desire"

quotes

"Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a teardrop"

thank you in advance :):)
mk4646

Postby jaymee » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:28 pm

Hi!!

With the help of awesome people here, I understand that Starlight can be translated to ilmarë in Quenya.
How is that written in Tengwar?

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!! :)
jaymee

Postby Isildilmë » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:02 am

wow, I don't know if many people received money for tattoos for Christmas, but there seems to be a little explosion in the requests ! lol

Marl3n, don't worry, this double posting happened to me in the past. If it's not too much trouble, I suggest you edit your posts. In the first, change you link by this link : http://dafashions.com/feather-tattoos/f ... tattoos-2/
It's shorter so it wont enlarge the thread size. You can edit the two next posts deleting all the text and just writing "sorry, double post", so it will be less heavy for other readers :).
So now I see for the feather, but not how you'd like it to connect with the word... anyway, I'll just do the transcription and offer you alternatives if possible, and you'll see if it fits what you need, and if you need a little change, you'll be able to ask me at that point.

benl612, if this is all you need to have a special birthday, you'll have a great one :wink: ! Seriously, if you tell me you'll find a use for all these quotes (I guess not all for tattoos, for you'll be quite covered !), I'll be happy to take the time for them. I already did some of them in the past, so I'll just take them and change the font if necessary.

aav900, welcome back ! You are definitly one of the little percentage of poster that come back with some regularity, and I'm always happy to see that :). I don't need to tell you that there is no problem for your transcription request : you know.

FerMorilla, haha, I'm pleased to see how happy you are about it ! And yeah, you better not enoyed you tattoo artist, too much will depend on him after ! :D Don't forget to send me a pic, here or by email. And btw, the thread is not sending emails if you don't show you're still interested clicking on the link that is send to you after you posted, or posting again... which is kind of nice in threads like here, where hundreads of posts are made while you may not come back like most of the posters.

mk4646 and jaymee, no problem. jaymee, you can choose a font in the list of the first post, you know ?

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:11 am

For PurpleOcean : Here is what I propose you. Don’t hesitate if you have questions about it.

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:11 am

For berg_88 :
Image Image

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:12 am

For SashaaNikora : your second request, as promised.

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:17 am

Oh ! and I realize today is exactly the second birthday of the first transcriptions I made for other people than myself, here at TORC ! So a little review : I estimate I did at least 2200 transcription for more than 800 people in that time... mmm, not that bad, huh ? :D But I have no idea of the percentage of these people who really got tattooed... as so few come back with pictures :cry2:

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby SashaaNikora » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:30 am

Sorry but I cant seem to find what you have done for me ?
SashaaNikora

Postby Isildilmë » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:54 am

SashaaNikora wrote:Sorry but I cant seem to find what you have done for me ?

You don't see the transcription in my last post ??? That's weird, because I can see it... if you still don't, follow this link and you'll find it, and be able to save it in your computer.

If there is still a problem, write me an email.

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby berg_88 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:37 pm

Thanks for that Isildilme! Really like how they look. Thanks for taking the time to do it.

If its not too much trouble I was wondering if you could put the same 2 things into Tengwar Annatar (bold style) as well??

Sorry to be a pain I should have put it down the first time around.
berg_88

Postby Marl3n » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:09 pm

Dear Isildilme,

congrats for the thousands and more transcriptions. Here's to many more :)

I attached (again a gigantic link, but I'm sure u'll tell me how to fix it later ;p) an image of how i'd like the feather to be linked with the word dreams.

http://pinterest.com/jenn_flood/tatooo-ideas/

Last edited by Marl3n on Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marl3n

Postby jaymee » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:56 pm

Dear Isildilme,

Ah! So sorry totally missed that out.
The Tengwar Cursive (R + B) looks fantastic. :)
jaymee

Postby FerMorilla » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:07 pm

I will do my tattoo next week, I'll post in here when it's done!

Lots of love from Brazil, Fer
FerMorilla

Next

Return to Language