Official Tengwar Transcription Thread (and TATTOOS) - IV

Tolkien's worlds were birthed out of his love of language and his work at creating new ones. Enter into discussions surrounding Tolkien's languages.

Re: Official Tengwar Transcription Thread (and TATTOOS) - IV

Postby Almatolmen » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:03 pm

I wanted to Share information about the ST:NG episode, and there are a lot of Google results I was amazed to see, but not one with a FB link!

If you want to read an excellent synopsis, go to Memory-Alpha, the ST Wiki. The article is named the Tamaran language.

You can also find the episode on YouTube, but it's dubbed in German!

The phrase can be bought on T-shirts, mugs, and bumper stickers. It's become a meme, which is a bit self-referential since Tamaran is all memes.

I wondered about the process of how the language reached its present state. Obviously it once was a normal language to have generated the stories that became those memes.

And could somebody develop the equivalent in English? "The Witch-King and Eowyn on the Fields of Pellenor.". How would you understand that?
Almatolmen
Mariner

Postby Isildilmë » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:56 am

Herumor, thanks for your kind words. Your request is noted.

Alma, thanks for the information !

dennyseccon wrote:Hi Isildilmë, first of all congrats for your work, we all Tolkien-lovers are very pleased! =D

I would like to be sure, though, that you have read my request. It is a very special request for a dear friend =)

Many thanks!

Yes I do. It's my next transcription to do... I'm sorry, my life is a storm right now.
Concerning the Official Tengwar Transcription Thread - VI
To all the newbees, Welcome to TORC !
Before posting anything on this thread, READ THE INTRODUCTION. For now, I didn't have the time to update the intro, so I let you read the intro of thread #IV here.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the threads or by email (isildilme@hotmail.com - write "Tengwar" somewhere in the subject in case you fall in my junkmail, because if I don't know, I wont open the message !). Note that I don't accept transcription requests by email, you have to post them here !

You can address yourself to me in French, Spanish or English as you wish.

Special message : I have now two precious sons. They are my priorities, and an additional explanation for the delays in my answers. I WILL answer you... but you might have to wait. Thank you for your comprehension.
Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby architect » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:23 am

hello Isildilmë,

i need some help from you, actually i want to made a tattoo with tengwar script, can you help me ?

it's dedicated to my mother, this tattoo is my gift for her birthday

the letter is written 'Fanny' in English, it's gonna be Tengwar Annatar Italic Bold ( TA - I+B )

thank you so much for your help, this means a lot to me :)

you can send me the result via email to yankatalo@hotmail.com

thank you Isildilmë
architect
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Gatelina » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:14 am

Hello Isildilmë,

Can you please help me to write one bulgarian name with tengwar script? The name is Desislava ( "Десислава" on cyrillic ).

Thank you in advance!

Best regards,

Gatelina
Gatelina

Postby Isildilmë » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:49 pm

architect, no problem.

For
Gatelina too, I'll check what I found for Bulgarian and my own researches on that language. As you are here (and that is a great coincidence), I would also like to have a little help from you if that is possible, but that as no link with Tengwar or that thread. I have a personnal project involving Bulgaria. I don't know if it's going to happen, but if it gets concrete (probably next spring), then I'll have about 1 year to learn as much as Bulgarian as possible. Being a Bulgarian yourself, do you have any suggestion of references ? I know we can find many stuff on the net, but a lot of wrong information too. There are some apps for Apple available, but I hate to pay for stuff when I don't know if it's good. I already had a look on cyrillic tables, and some show contradictory informations, but I think I have something not so bad to start. By now that's all I have. I don't want to start learning it before the project is confirmed because that would make me even more deceived (learning the language will only get me more excited), but I'd like to be ready if it arrives so that I can learn quickly. Any hint from you or your friends is welcome. My native language is French, if that is of any help, and I speak English and Spanish already (not that fluently, but not that bad too I think !). But as this has nothing to do with the thread, I suggest that we discuss it by email (isildilme@hotmail.com), keeping the thread for Tengwar/Elvish/Tolkien subjects !
Before posting anything on this thread, READ THE INTRODUCTION. For now, I didn't have the time to update the intro, so I let you read the intro of thread #IV here.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the threads or by email (isildilme@hotmail.com - write "Tengwar" somewhere in the subject in case you fall in my junkmail, because if I don't know, I wont open the message !). Note that I don't accept transcription requests by email, you have to post them here !

Special message : I have now two precious sons. They are my priorities, and an additional explanation for the delays in my answers. I WILL answer you... but you might have to wait. Thank you for your comprehension.
Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby salorvenus02 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:42 pm

First I want to say THANK YOU, about a year ago you transcribed my sons name for me Noah James. I now have this tattoo on my wrist and LOVE it. I'm now pregnant again and we have decided to name this one Colton Fox and I would love for you to write this one out for me as well. TA-I I believe that is the same as my other sons. I cant tell you how you have helped with this. I do have one friend who can read and write in elvish. I sent him a picture with out telling him what it was and he knew right way and thought it was very beautiful the way it was in italics. Thank you again your awesome!!!
salorvenus02

Postby Harondor » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:51 am

Hello Isildilmë,

I thank you for the excellent service you do here. :) I have seen other sites, tools, etc., but your information and attention to detail cannot be surpassed and that is why I am here. :wink:

As others have sought out, I am looking to have a mixture of lyrics transcibed into Tengwar Eldamar (Italized and Bolded) for the purpose of a tattoo. The combination of the lyrics are English in origin. The saying is thus:

"Beyond and to all time I stand, remained in shadows, growing wings. - A Deathless one"

The lyrics are a combination of two AFI songs entitled, "The Nephilim" and "Midnight Sun". I look forward to this transcription and my tattoo!

Also if is too much to ask, so I do not bother at a later time, can you please in the same font (Tengwar Eldamar [Italized and Bolded])as above transcribe the English word, "Infidel"?

Respectfully,

Harondor
Harondor

Postby Isildilmë » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:47 am

salorvenus, long time no see ! I'm happy you loved the result enough to ask again... but did you ever send me a picture of that tattoo ? Congrats for being pregnant, that's a wonderful new ! And nice to hear that you have a friend aware of Tengwar... I'm curious : why didn't you as him to transcribe the names ? Just asking. I'm happy I'm the one who was asked ;)

Harondor, what a polite, formal, complete and nice request you have there :). I'm pleased to hear that I can bear the comparision with other sites... I don't go much on other threads where people do transcriptions... I went some time ago, and I saw once that the guy (if it's a guy ;)) was not very nice with some people, he appeared exasperated with the fact that people want tattoos, and that this was maybe not his idea of a good usage for Tengwar (?)... well, I don't understand why he's doing that if that is his impression and if he can't prevent himself to judge people that way... well, that was my point.
With your request (the lyrics), the only "problem" (if we can say it is) could be the "-" before "A Deathless one"... I will use a symbol looking like "-" for aesthetical reasons, instead of what I use normally for the hypen in words. I think it's better.

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby salorvenus02 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:32 pm

Isildilmë wrote:salorvenus, long time no see ! I'm happy you loved the result enough to ask again... but did you ever send me a picture of that tattoo ? Congrats for being pregnant, that's a wonderful new ! And nice to hear that you have a friend aware of Tengwar... I'm curious : why didn't you as him to transcribe the names ? Just asking. I'm happy I'm the one who was asked ;)

Harondor, what a polite, formal, complete and nice request you have there :). I'm pleased to hear that I can bear the comparision with other sites... I don't go much on other threads where people do transcriptions... I went some time ago, and I saw once that the guy (if it's a guy ;)) was not very nice with some people, he appeared exasperated with the fact that people want tattoos, and that this was maybe not his idea of a good usage for Tengwar (?)... well, I don't understand why he's doing that if that is his impression and if he can't prevent himself to judge people that way... well, that was my point.
With your request (the lyrics), the only "problem" (if we can say it is) could be the "-" before "A Deathless one"... I will use a symbol looking like "-" for aesthetical reasons, instead of what I use normally for the hypen in words. I think it's better.

Oh i can show you a picture here's a link! http://www2.snapfish.com/snapfish/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=10039405013/a=125848854_125848854/otsc=SHR/otsi=SALBlink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/
I didn't ask him because hes very busy and I trust you! He lives very far from me and he doesn't do it on a regular basis but just knows how to read it. Thank you again!!! I cant wait to see it :-)
salorvenus02

Postby Xandarien » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:47 am

I just had a very kind email from someone who has been using my website, asking me about Tengwar :shock:.

I pointed him the direction of Mans Bjorkman's pages, and PE20, are there any other resources you use yourself Isildilme? He asked whether I was going to put up any lessons in it, maybe at some point in the future! (Damnit, now someone's given me another incentive to start looking into it :lol: ).
Xandarien
Rider of the Mark

Postby Isildilmë » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:26 am

I would say it depends on what he/she transcribes !
I'm very careful with any references to MB's pages, as it is often in contradiction with other material, over all when it comes to transcribe English.
PE20 is usefull for English and Latin (it's an early mode, but still good, I think of adopting that mode for the next thread - #5 is coming !), but there is no reference to Sindarin or Quenya. As you say that person has been using your website, I guess Sindarin might be what as to be transcribed... so nothing in PE20.

I use many sources from which I built my transcriptions modes taking here and there what I think is coherant, but it would be complicated to detail them here.

Of course he/she should start with the Appendix of LOTR.

And if you want to give my email in such cases so I can see what the person means and wants, offer suggestions and correct attemps, there is no problem, I've done that more than once !

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Xandarien » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:03 am

Passed that on, cheers! :)
Xandarien
Rider of the Mark

Postby Almatolmen » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:24 pm

I know you have more than enough to keep you busy, BUT...

Have you ever considered compiling a bibliography of your sources for other budding Tengwaristas to use as a learning reference? And a synopsis, at least, of how you built up your modes? Imagine how useful you'd have found that information when you were just started.

This next comment doesn't really apply to you.

Sometimes when an author has obviously done a lot of research for her/his writing, I've wished that they would publish a bibliography of their sources. This first occurred to me while reading Auel's Earth Children (now completed series), Gabaldon's Outlander (ongoing), and Flint's 1632 (ongoing).

A reader could check out things in the novels for themselves and maybe follow leads into other things that interest them that didn't make it in the published works.
Almatolmen
Mariner

Postby svpsvp » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:02 pm

to Isildilme,

Well, yes I would indeed prefer to have the "e" on either a long carrier or a short carrier (I prefer long). I Actually know how to write in tengwar,both in sindarin and quenya t style. But i am used to the quenya style. Also in order to get it tattooed on me, I need it to be in a good font, which I don't have, so that's why I am asking you to do me the favor. :)

I will post a picture of the tattoo once it is finished.

I really appreciate it.

Many Thanks. Guren glassui.
svpsvp

Postby Eatenflesh » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:07 am

Hey Isildilme! :)

I have posted first in the translation forum and I got the words Mael and Hûr.
Can you please give me a transcription for those two words in Tengwar Annatar bold and italic, Tengwar Annatar italic, and Tengwar cursive?

I would appreciate it if you could make the transcription before the 6th of January, since I have set the date for my tattoo at 7th of January. :wink:

Thanks in advance!
Eatenflesh

Postby AlyxPayne » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:44 am

Hi, Im looking for a transcription of two sentences from english to TA-I+B for a tattoo
- Ever seeking kindness
- Ever finding cruelty
If you could help me out I would be eternally grateful :)
AlyxPayne

Postby Isildilmë » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:39 am

Alma, I know that could be interesting, but for that I would need to clean up all my material, because in the real life it has been an ongoing process, and some modifications were made with time and experience. And with some new publications, there is another different way to use Tengwar for some languages I will shortly begin to use, so doing this clean up on the actual mode I use might not be that usefull...

In the end, I'll probably just end doing a document myself. I'm already almost done with the document on my French Tehtar mode... but I'll all start again to have one whole new French mode following the English mode of the new publication. That is what happens with Tolkien's work : there is a risk of having to start everything again everytime they publish something.

svp : ok, I note that.

Eatenflesh, we have two translation threads, so you have to tell me in what language is each word you ask. For the delay, I think it will be done on time, but if somethings happen, I cannot warranty. But I would be surprised if I can't find time for it in these delays.

Alyx, it's perfect.

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby AlyxPayne » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:57 am

AlyxPayne wrote:Hi, Im looking for a transcription of two sentences from english to TA-I+B for a tattoo
- Ever seeking kindness
- Ever finding cruelty
If you could help me out I would be eternally grateful :)

I have further requests for transcriptions, if you would be so kind as to consider them.
-From Sindarin to TS-I
Ui-dired miluias
Ui-chired balchas

-From Quenya to TQ-I
Oi/Voro hírala nilda 
Oi/Voro sácala nwalca

P.S. i have used / to indicate that either word (Voro OR Oi) can be used as they both mean 'ever'. Whichever is easiest for you to transcribe is fine by me, if you could just let me know which you've used that would be fantastic :)
I understand that you have a lot of work on your hands and I truly appreciate any attention you can give my request. I have wanted this tattoo for a long time and will have a difficult time in choosing which of the three variations to go with. I have the utmost respect for what you do and you have my sincere gratitude for any help you can give me.
I shall wait patiently and blissfully for your aid.
Regards :D
AlyxPayne

Postby natina22 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:10 am

Isildilmë wrote:For natina22 : Aqui lo tienes ! Tienes suerte, eres la que tuvo que esperar lo menos !

MUCHAS GRACIAS GENIA!!! TODAVIS NO TE PUDE MANDAR LA FOTO DEL TATTOO QUE ME HICE GRACIAS A TU ANTERIOR TRADUCCIÓN, NO SE CÓMO HACERLO. SI PUEDO TE ENVÍO LAS FOTOS POR MAIL. BESOS Y GRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACIAS!!! :)
natina22

Postby Isildilmë » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:10 pm

Alyx, thanks for your comprehension and patience ;). I'll add these other requests in my list. I know myself : I might do the two Quenya version, so that you can choose. See you then !

natina22 wrote:
Isildilmë wrote:For natina22 : Aqui lo tienes ! Tienes suerte, eres la que tuvo que esperar lo menos !

MUCHAS GRACIAS GENIA!!! TODAVIS NO TE PUDE MANDAR LA FOTO DEL TATTOO QUE ME HICE GRACIAS A TU ANTERIOR TRADUCCIÓN, NO SE CÓMO HACERLO. SI PUEDO TE ENVÍO LAS FOTOS POR MAIL. BESOS Y GRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACIAS!!! :)

Si, puedes hacerlo asi, enviamela a isildilme@hotmail.com, y si asi lo quieres puedo ponerla aqui para los otros. Me alegra ver que te gusta tanto :) Pensaba que te habias ido del todo !

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby cinemagirl » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:09 pm

Hi, I am sure you have already translated "Beloved" before but after searching many pages I haven't found it yet. Would you mind translating "Beloved" for me? I am working on a tattoo that will incorporate the word and would love to have the tengwar transcription. Id love to see it in in quenya and english. In the fonts tengwar annatar "l" and elfica "l"Thanks so very much!
cinemagirl

Postby sbone247 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:14 pm

Hi, I am kind of new to this forum. I was searching google and stumble upon this site. I wanted to get a tattoo in Tengwar with the words "twenty one", not the number but letters. Can you help me with that? Thank you
sbone247

Postby AlyxPayne » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:44 am

Hey, I was wondering if you could give me the 'ever seeking kindness' and 'ever finding cruelty' as one sentence As well (just using and) 'Ever seeking kindness and ever finding cruelty', just so i can see how long it is and if I can fit it all on one line. You can forget about the sindarin and quenya requests, this is my priority. If you please :D thanks you so very much :D I apologise for being such a pain, I know how much work you have to do and I really appreciate it :)
AlyxPayne

Postby Saphilia » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:34 am

Hey, I'm looking for a tengwar formal transcription of this senstence

Adh bân i úthennais dîn, mudad, ah elei raged, de ardhon vain.

It's for a tatoo, I've tried transcribing it myself, than an online transcriber and I really don't think either of those transcriptions were good. I already have one tatoo, it's in tengwar formal. Can you help me? :)
Saphilia

Postby Gladhaniel » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:25 am

Saphilia wrote:Hey, I'm looking for a tengwar formal transcription of this senstence

Adh bân i úthennais dîn, mudad, ah elei raged, de ardhon vain.

It's for a tatoo, I've tried transcribing it myself, than an online transcriber and I really don't think either of those transcriptions were good. I already have one tatoo, it's in tengwar formal. Can you help me? :)

First, to Isildilmë: this is a sentence in Sindarin. :)

Saphilia, can you please take a look at the fonts given on the first page of this thread and specify which one(s) you'd like to have? :D
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

Postby Saphilia » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:30 am

Oh, sorry, I haven't thought about that :p Formal regular, please :)
Saphilia

Postby coreyb07 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:38 pm

Hi, can you please translate 'Corey' into TA-R please? :)
coreyb07

Postby Gladhaniel » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:43 pm

Saphilia: Thank you! :D

coreyb07: As what language do you want Corey to be treated? :)
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

Postby coreyb07 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:23 pm

English please :)
coreyb07

Re:

Postby Faelynn » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:08 pm

Faelynn wrote:Hi there!!

I have two things that I would love to be transcribed into TC-R! They are Sindarin to begin with as well.

Min corf an gened i veleth vîn
Min corf men an 'wedhed
Min corf a noded i veleth vîn
Adh an-uir men an riged

and separately

Côlath ú-thilia
ú randirath mistar

thank you so much!!!

I am so sorry to be a bother, but I must have been overlooked when i sent this request in 5 months ago :'(

I was wondering if it could possibly still be transcribed?? I would be eternally grateful!!
:angel: Thank you so much for your time!!
Faelynn

PreviousNext

Return to Language