Official Tengwar Transcription Thread (and TATTOOS) - IV

Tolkien's worlds were birthed out of his love of language and his work at creating new ones. Enter into discussions surrounding Tolkien's languages.

Re: Official Tengwar Transcription Thread (and TATTOOS) - IV

Postby Isildilmë » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:05 am

For matt3 : Here you go with the last one :
Concerning the Official Tengwar Transcription Thread - VI
To all the newbees, Welcome to TORC !
Before posting anything on this thread, READ THE INTRODUCTION. For now, I didn't have the time to update the intro, so I let you read the intro of thread #IV here.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the threads or by email (isildilme@hotmail.com - write "Tengwar" somewhere in the subject in case you fall in my junkmail, because if I don't know, I wont open the message !). Note that I don't accept transcription requests by email, you have to post them here !

You can address yourself to me in French, Spanish or English as you wish.

Special message : I have now two precious sons. They are my priorities, and an additional explanation for the delays in my answers. I WILL answer you... but you might have to wait. Thank you for your comprehension.
Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:05 am

For zelbarbero : I have to admit that your request is really weird for me… I’m never judging the requests, and I’m not starting with you, but you imagine my surprise ! Well, you have surely important reasons, and if you are happy with the result, I guess that the rest doesn’t matter !
BTW, it’s a good thing that your registration worked, cause I don’t think I received anything from you… I don’t remember.
Before posting anything on this thread, READ THE INTRODUCTION. For now, I didn't have the time to update the intro, so I let you read the intro of thread #IV here.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the threads or by email (isildilme@hotmail.com - write "Tengwar" somewhere in the subject in case you fall in my junkmail, because if I don't know, I wont open the message !). Note that I don't accept transcription requests by email, you have to post them here !

Special message : I have now two precious sons. They are my priorities, and an additional explanation for the delays in my answers. I WILL answer you... but you might have to wait. Thank you for your comprehension.
Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:06 am

For JakeAnder : Here is the quote separated as you asked :
Image Click on the image for regular size
And this is my attempt of taking it and adapt it to your design. We don’t have the same Tree model, but the general idea is there. Hope this will be usefull ! If you need a modification, tell me, that shouldn’t be a problem. Also, the quality is not excellent because of the modifications I made with the image, but it should be ok for the tattooist…

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:07 am

For 8bit : Here is what I meant :

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:07 am

For Neverlaughatdragons : As I told you, every transcriptions I made for that word by now are the same. So here are a few examples (same thing in different fonts) :
Image Image Image

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:08 am

For Jubba : Here they are, in both version of the font as asked. For the Sindarin quotes, I show you two possibilities, as usual.
Image Image

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:08 am

For ah11 :

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:11 am

For n1schal : First, I have a question : can you tell me what is the name of the fonts you used to write your name in the example you posted ? I love them.

But in fact, I wouldn’t use any of the versions you posted… First, you put some vowels on the preceeding consonnant (i), and so on the next (a). Except for #1, where you keep the same rule everywhere. Then, I wouldn’t use the tengwa you chose for “ch” in that case, because there is another more appropriated one for that specific “ch”, with the “tsh” sound.
For your information, the two “s” are the same, but normally we use the one pointing up when we don’t use a tehtar above, and the one pointing down when we have something to add above it.
To transcribe your name, I used a mode proposed for Devanāgarī as I told you before, and I validated with my own experience. I end with two possibilities. The first is the one which respects the most how you write it in Devanāgarī :

In this one, I didn’t write the “a”, as you can see. With my little (very little) knowledge on Devanāgarī, I read that it is also how it’s written : nischl.
The second option is if we write the “a”, as you did in your examples. That is what I do with the other languages, but as Nepali uses Devanāgarī, I don’t know… in Devanāgarī, if you write the “a” at this place, wouldn’t it end like “Nischāl” ??? But I let you choose.

As you can see, I put the vowels on the preceeding tengwa, as it was proposed that way in the fan-made mode. If I had to treat the name as English, I would place them on the following tengwa, as in the next example.

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:12 am

For Aidanjohnson1 :

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:15 am

For Lucilou101 : I saw at this morning that you didn’t precise weither you wanted the regular, italic, etc. version of the fonts. For the Tengwar Annatar, I guess you are probably interested in the italic form, so I did both. The others are just in regular.
And did you see my answer about the tattooist ? I hope it helped a little :)

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:15 am

For karlo91 : Here you go with your Croatian transcription !

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:16 am

For caweiss : I particulary love the first quote… we can feel the love story behind :)

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:17 am

For natina22 : Aqui lo tienes ! Tienes suerte, eres la que tuvo que esperar lo menos !

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:20 am

And now I'm done and up to date with the requests.

jura2910 didn't answer me by now and Thalion888 didn't came back with a formal request of transcription of his Sindarin quote. If any of them shows up, I'll put them on my list again :)

Any reaction is welcome, I worked on that for something like 5 hours (maybe more) yesterday, and one other hour today :)

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Almatolmen » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:54 am

Wonderful and brilliant as well!

I especially was bowled over by the Tree.
Almatolmen
Mariner

Postby Isildilmë » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:03 am

Almatolmen wrote:Wonderful and brilliant as well!

I especially was bowled over by the Tree.

Thank you :) :blush:

I agree with the Tree... I love to work on these designs, and the Tree... well... its THE Tree ! :D

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Emoelve » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:36 am

thanks a lot again! perfekt!!!
Emoelve
Petitioner to the Council

Postby n1schal » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:50 pm

thanks..

first of all, i don't have the font...i got the characters from here and merged them in photoshop : http://www.starchamber.com/paracelsus/e ... nutes.html

and my name is pronounced as nis(निस)-ch-al(चल)... it's only two syllables and the "ch" sound is that of "cheek" and not the "tsh"...so i don't know which one of your transcription is correct... :/

and about the tengwa for the ch sound, i got it from the link above as well...

thanks for you'll never walk alone.

p.s. is there some way i could directly talk to you, like facebook or something? would be easier for us both that way i suppose...
n1schal

Postby Aidanjohnson1 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:06 pm

isildilme thanks man these are absolutely perfect and i look forward to using these! :) thanks again for taking the time to do this for me, really apreciate it.
thanks again
aidan
Aidanjohnson1

Postby Lucilou101 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:46 pm

Thankyou so much for taking the time to help me, i love them!
Also thank you for the tips for choosing a tattoist :)

Im very grateful!
Lucilou101

:)
Lucilou101

Postby Almatolmen » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:03 pm

n1schal. I was pretty sure that that was how it was divided into syllables and pronounced. I have to admit that the first time I saw your name, my head went into German mode and thought sch =sh! It wasn't until I realized that it was of Hindi origin that I got the clue. No sch in Hindi!
Last edited by Almatolmen on Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Almatolmen
Mariner

Postby Isildilmë » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:18 pm

i'm happy you like the transcriptions :) I hope some of you will think to come back with pictures !

N1schal, of course you can join me directly by email (isildilme@hotmail.com) or by Facebook searching for that email too. I think we just have to clarify things to be sure we talk about the same thing... Because if I'm not completely mistaken, the "ch" in "cheek" sounds like "tsh"... I even checked in a dictionnary. And I'm pretty sure that it's not a coincidence that on the mode I found for Devanāgarī, they link the symbol you use (sorry I can't copy it with my keypad) with this Tengwa too, the same I use for English "ch"as in "cheek" or "church". But we can discuss that in private messages if you want.

And that site you use is partially right, but with some errors and it's incomplete... Like most sources from the web.

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby 8bit » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:32 pm

Many thanks Isildilmë !!!

Cheers,
8bit

Postby kevdiv48 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:07 pm

Thank you very much again, I have one more transcription that I would like checked:
kevdiv48

Postby Almatolmen » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:48 pm

There's a nice Wiki article about Nagari that uses IPA symbols. It might help you to know that you're talking on the same page. The character that I think you're talking about has two IPA transcriptions. I think one is like what n1schal is talking about, and one like what Isildilme is talking about. And therein may lie the confusion.

Since they are represented by the same Nagari character, the difference may be irrelevant to the Tengwar transcription.
Almatolmen
Mariner

Postby Isildilmë » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:37 am

mmm, there may be part of that in the confusion... I'll wait for news from n1schal and see what is the best we can do.

kevdiv48, this seems to be a phonetic transcription, and I read "persevérans", where the "é" would represent a long "e". I woulnd't say it's wrong, I can't tell, but it's not the same transcription mode as what I use, that is sure. And I don't know for you, but if we go with phonetic, I wouldn't write it like that, but more like "persivierens", no ?

Nevertheless, the result is not very far from what I do, because as I transcribe for now using the original spelling, I just use a normal "e", and a "c/s + silent e" at the end. If you want an example, I already transcribe that exact word many times, and here is one of them (near the middle of the page, on Mon Nov 5, 2012 11:56 am).

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby kevdiv48 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:10 am

Ah yes, silly me for not using the search function.
Thank you, the long 'e' sound was the most confusing part for me.
kevdiv48

Postby dennyseccon » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:27 pm

Hey Isildilmë, I joined this forum for a friend, she wants to tattoo her daughter's name. The inscription should read:

VALENTINA MINHA VIDA
(which is Brazilian Portuguese for "Valentina My Life" =)

It should be written in Tengwar Annatar (italic).

Many thanks!
dennyseccon

Postby jl1087 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:38 pm

Hey Isildilmë, i joined this forum so i can get :) a tattoo its an ocean quote to show my love for the ocean. i was hoping you can transcribe

The sea, once it casts its spell , hold one to its net of wonder

can you transcribe in Tengwar Annatar (italic).
jl1087

Postby alinea77 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:42 pm

MERCI INFINIMENT

dès que cela sera fait je te montrerai le resultat merci encore

bonne soirée
alinea77

PreviousNext

Return to Language