Official Tengwar Transcription Thread (and TATTOOS) - IV

Tolkien's worlds were birthed out of his love of language and his work at creating new ones. Enter into discussions surrounding Tolkien's languages.

Re: Official Tengwar Transcription Thread (and TATTOOS) - IV

Postby jl1087 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:39 am

hi again Isildilmë i was hoping u can transcribe one more quote :)

"the ocean lies deep within my heart"

can you transcribe in Tengwar Annatar (italic)

thanks a lot i really appreciate it :)
jl1087
Petitioner to the Council

Postby ah11 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:18 pm

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=tengwar+faith&um=1&hl=en&safe=off&biw=1280&bih=610&tbm=isch&tbnid=YZ9SOW-qo5f-mM:&imgrefurl=http://quenya101.tumblr.com/post/9048741701&docid=vERLNyOCqNN9IM&imgurl=http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/6850/screenshot20110701at100.png&w=238&h=387&ei=lOurUL6sDsOR0QWgsYCYCg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=281&vpy=102&dur=1779&hovh=286&hovw=176&tx=90&ty=150&sig=111676971571830636723&page=1&tbnh=135&tbnw=92&start=0&ndsp=21&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0,i:71

Thanks for the transcription Isildilmë.

Above is a another transcription of "keep the faith" I found on an online image search which differs slightly to yours (the second symbol in "faith" is completely different and the third symbol has a dot above it). Please could you explain why there is this difference and which transcription is more appropriate as I want to be certain before getting it tattooed?

Thanks again!
ah11

Postby ah11 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:19 pm

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=tengwar+faith&um=1&hl=en&safe=off&biw=1280&bih=610&tbm=isch&tbnid=YZ9SOW-qo5f-mM:&imgrefurl=http://quenya101.tumblr.com/post/9048741701&docid=vERLNyOCqNN9IM&imgurl=http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/6850/screenshot20110701at100.png&w=238&h=387&ei=lOurUL6sDsOR0QWgsYCYCg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=281&vpy=102&dur=1779&hovh=286&hovw=176&tx=90&ty=150&sig=111676971571830636723&page=1&tbnh=135&tbnw=92&start=0&ndsp=21&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0,i:71

Above is a another transcription of "keep the faith" I found on an online image search which differs slightly to yours (the second symbol in "faith" is completely different and the third symbol has a dot above it). Please could you explain why there is this difference and which transcription is more appropriate as I want to be certain before getting it tattooed?

Thanks again!
ah11

Postby ah11 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:30 pm

sorry about the double post! :)
ah11

Postby Isildilmë » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:16 am

ah11 wrote:http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=tengwar+faith&um=1&hl=en&safe=off&biw=1280&bih=610&tbm=isch&tbnid=YZ9SOW-qo5f-mM:&imgrefurl=http://quenya101.tumblr.com/post/9048741701&docid=vERLNyOCqNN9IM&imgurl=http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/6850/screenshot20110701at100.png&w=238&h=387&ei=lOurUL6sDsOR0QWgsYCYCg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=281&vpy=102&dur=1779&hovh=286&hovw=176&tx=90&ty=150&sig=111676971571830636723&page=1&tbnh=135&tbnw=92&start=0&ndsp=21&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0,i:71

Thanks again!

This one was transcribe letter by letter treating only the "th" as a combination : F A I TH (in this case the "i" as to be written over the "th", so I can read "faith" there.
While I also treat "ai" as a combination : F AI TH
That is the only difference.

Which one is more appropriate ? Maybe the two, maybe none, maybe hers, maybe mine. Did you read the first post of this thread, where I explain that many people use Tengwar in many ways, that Tolkien himself used variations and that we try to use what we found of him and to complete with our own perception and best attempt ? Well, that's it. There is no warranty either of these would be 100% Tolkien approoved. You have to live with that, or to forget about your project !

But of course, I prefer mine :)
Concerning the Official Tengwar Transcription Thread - VI
To all the newbees, Welcome to TORC !
Before posting anything on this thread, READ THE INTRODUCTION. For now, I didn't have the time to update the intro, so I let you read the intro of thread #IV here.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the threads or by email (isildilme@hotmail.com - write "Tengwar" somewhere in the subject in case you fall in my junkmail, because if I don't know, I wont open the message !). Note that I don't accept transcription requests by email, you have to post them here !

You can address yourself to me in French, Spanish or English as you wish.

Special message : I have now two precious sons. They are my priorities, and an additional explanation for the delays in my answers. I WILL answer you... but you might have to wait. Thank you for your comprehension.
Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby shamrock387 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:43 am

I was wondering if you could the following for me laid out like this in the fonts Tengwar Annatar (Italic) and Tengwar Formal (Italic). I am looking to get this tattooed.

Live
Laugh
Love
Dream

Thank you very much!!!
shamrock387

Postby Isildilmë » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:56 pm

shamrock387 wrote:I was wondering if you could the following for me laid out like this in the fonts Tengwar Annatar (Italic) and Tengwar Formal (Italic). I am looking to get this tattooed.

Live
Laugh
Love
Dream

Thank you very much!!!

these words have been done already, but as you also ask for Tengwar Formal italic, I think I'll do them again, they have probably not been done in that one. I'll add your request on my list.
Before posting anything on this thread, READ THE INTRODUCTION. For now, I didn't have the time to update the intro, so I let you read the intro of thread #IV here.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the threads or by email (isildilme@hotmail.com - write "Tengwar" somewhere in the subject in case you fall in my junkmail, because if I don't know, I wont open the message !). Note that I don't accept transcription requests by email, you have to post them here !

Special message : I have now two precious sons. They are my priorities, and an additional explanation for the delays in my answers. I WILL answer you... but you might have to wait. Thank you for your comprehension.
Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby ah11 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:35 pm

okay got it, cheers for the taking the time to explain it to me.

I feel bad asking, but please could you transcribe "keep the faith" again in tengwar annatar (regular) but using faith as shown in the link below. I think I am going to use that interpretation.

Thanks again for all your help (and patience!). Much appreciated

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=faith+in+tengwar&um=1&hl=en&safe=off&sa=N&tbo=d&biw=1280&bih=610&tbm=isch&tbnid=YZ9SOW-qo5f-mM:&imgrefurl=http://quenya101.tumblr.com/post/9048741701&docid=vERLNyOCqNN9IM&imgurl=http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/6850/screenshot20110701at100.png&w=238&h=387&ei=w0mtUPiSMumb0QWAo4DYAg&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=109&sig=111676971571830636723&page=1&tbnh=130&tbnw=86&start=0&ndsp=25&ved=1t:429,r:3,s:0,i:96&tx=39&ty=80
ah11

Postby Isildilmë » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:50 am

mmm, I don't know how to say that without looking rude or something... but I will say no. I actually do the transcriptions using a mode I judge as good as possible. Everybody is free to follow me or not, and to choose what he/she wants to take from me. But I won't change my transcription mode to adopt one that is to my taste not as good as what I use normally. I won't post a pic with a transcription that I know I would not suggest. Other people could use it and think I agree with it, and anyway it's again my vision to do so.

You are free to use the image I posted and to do a "collage" changing my "faith" for the other one and saving the new image in your computer, or to just copy the whole thing in an automatic transcriber that will probably give you this transcription as a result because automatic transcribers don't "think" and seem not able to analyse diphtongues like "ai". But I won't do it myself.

I hope you understand this and that you are not offended.

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:15 am

Hey everybody ! I just realised that today is my 3rd TORc birthday ! :happydance:

Just saying !

But I didn't take in charge the transcriptions until the following January, so 1½ month later. So I've been here transcribe for almost 3 years ! Time runs so fast !!! I should se about how many transcriptions I did... I think I have more than surely passed over the 3000 mark...

If you can't resist to send me a gift, email me.

LOL :roll:

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Almatolmen » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:17 pm

This is a day of note for both of us!

Congrats on your third anniversary!!

:drink: :drink: :drink:
Almatolmen
Mariner

Postby Gladhaniel » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:26 am

Isildilmë wrote:Hey everybody ! I just realised that today is my 3rd TORc birthday ! :happydance:

Congratulations! :D You've been such an important presence on the forums all that time. :)
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

Postby ah11 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:30 pm

Dont sweat it, no offence taken. If it makes any difference, i have changed my mind and I am gonna use your transcription for my tattoo :)

Hey everybody ! I just realised that today is my 3rd TORc birthday !

Happy birthday by the way! Thanks again for all your help
ah11

Postby Glenn031 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:52 am

Hi, can you transcribe the word Guardian please? :)
Last edited by Glenn031 on Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Glenn031

Postby Almatolmen » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:07 am

Glenn031, you do mean transcribe, don't you?
Almatolmen
Mariner

Postby Glenn031 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:48 am

Almatolmen wrote:Glenn031, you do mean transcribe, don't you?

Yes
Glenn031

Postby JesR » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:41 pm

Hey Isildilmë!

Could you transcribe this for me please? :)

I allérë queni haryar sanwer yar ranyar háya

It's in Quenya (I got it translated into Elvish over in the quenya translation forum), and means "The freest persons have thoughts that wander far"

For the script, I'd like it in TA-I

Let me know if I missed anything.

Much appreciated!!

-Jes
JesR

Postby rizman » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:48 am

@Isildilmë:
Some months ago (august 2012) you helped me finalize a tengwar transcription for a tattoo. I already posted the result directly after having done the tattoo.
Here it is:

However, I thought that it was too empty, so I had a decoration added 2 days ago :-)

Just wanted to share with you

Btw: It looks like it is a little bit red, but that's the rest of the colour the artist used for the design, not some kind of infection.
rizman

Postby svpsvp » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:43 am

HI, i am about to get my name tattooed on me. Here is what I need you to transcript for me.

"Sergio Vilaroel Pichelbauer" , "captain of my fate, Master of my soul" and "13"

The language is English

The font would be: Tengwar annastar (I+B)

Extra Info: all of the "Rs" are pronounced as in car (for Sergio Vilaroel Pichelbauer), and I would also like you to write it in quenya style, as in vowels above the letter they follow if it is possible. And instead of putting vowels underneath to be on a carrier.

Thats IT! I really appreciate what you do!

Keep up the good work! Thanks! All the way from Venezuela.
svpsvp

Postby Isildilmë » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:36 am

Hi folks ! Sorry for not posting for a week, I had a crazy one... still going, but let's take a little TORC break.
Thanks for the "birthday" wishes :D

ah11 : nice to know, keep in touch with us to share the results !

Glenn031 : sure.

JesR : sure (it's perfect)

Rizman : WOW, you had a very good idea ! Can you send me a higher resolution pic of that new tattoo ? I'd like to put it in my collection :) You can send it to me at isildilme@hotmail.com... I'd be very happy to have it. If it's not possible, I understand.

svpsvp : If you insist to have it that way, I can do it. Normally, I put the vowels on the following consonnant, because it's more logical in English (as in Sindarin), and also because when we have diphthongs, it respects the same rule. But in Quenya these diphthongs are written the same way, so there should be no problem using them in a mode with the vowels are on the preceeding consonnant as in Quenya, as this is your wish. And in my mode, only the silent "e" is underneath, so in your requests there would be just the "e" of "fate" written that way... you prefer to have a normal "e" on a carrier ?

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby rizman » Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:11 pm

@Isildilme: sure thing. check your inbox :-)
rizman

Postby Apophenia » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:26 pm

Hi Isildilmë,

Is there any possibility you could romanize this graffiti? It was found on a wall in Philadelphia.

My friend sent me it because I've been able to figure out some Tengwar puzzles before, but even using a chart, I was not able to get very far. I suspect it may be in Quenya (or is supposed to be in Quenya) but I'm really not sure. For example, the second character of the second word is totally unfamiliar to me.

It might even be a transcription of a language that's neither an Elven one nor English. We don't know! :P It could also just be full of errors. Anyway, we're in no hurry.

Thanks for keeping this thread alive for so many years!
Apophenia

Postby Isildilmë » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:46 am

Thanks Rizman !!! :D

Apophenia wrote:Hi Isildilmë,

Is there any possibility you could romanize this graffiti? It was found on a wall in Philadelphia.

My friend sent me it because I've been able to figure out some Tengwar puzzles before, but even using a chart, I was not able to get very far. I suspect it may be in Quenya (or is supposed to be in Quenya) but I'm really not sure. For example, the second character of the second word is totally unfamiliar to me.

It might even be a transcription of a language that's neither an Elven one nor English. We don't know! :P It could also just be full of errors. Anyway, we're in no hurry.

Thanks for keeping this thread alive for so many years!

That was exciting and funny ! I once received a full letter in Tengwar to transcribe from an official Translation organisation that didn't have any expert in Tengwar. That was something !

So I was excite about your discovery. Sadly, it's indeed including some errors. It's English, but with the tehtar over the preceeding consonnant instead of the following like it is expected in this language.

I read "Darnok and Jalad at Tanajra", but the "o" of the first words is my guess as it's not written properly.

I found on the net this sentence from Star Trek (I'm not very knowledgeable about ST) : "Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra", so I guess that this was what this guy/lady tried to write, with some errors !

The second tengwa of the second word is the tengwar for "d" in English, with the bar over meaning that it's preceeded by the nasal of the same serie, so "nd".

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Xandarien » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:13 am

Tamarian! Love that episode :D

They communicate entirely in metaphors, it's an interesting concept.
Xandarien
Rider of the Mark

Postby Almatolmen » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:22 am

That was also one of my favorite episodes, as well!
Almatolmen
Mariner

Postby Isildilmë » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:26 am

I never saw any episode of ST

Shameful but whole truth :lol:

Did I see a movie ? Not sure... maybe the recent one... mmm... I don't even remember.

The worst is that it should be my style, I was addicted to StarGate, etc. I think I just mist the boat, and after I never feeled like getting into it :)

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Herumor Ragnir » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:53 am

Hi Isildilmë. Firstly, I'd like to say thanks for your transcriptions. I'm sure many of us would be lost without your expertise! Keep up the brilliant work. Also, I'm in need of your help. Could you please transcript the following for me, if possible: Harië handë ná harië túrë (Quenya), into: TGvorn(R+B), TEca(R+B), TN(R+B), TS(R+B) I look forward to the results, and once again, thank you!
Herumor Ragnir

Postby Kakabel » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:28 pm

I would love it if you could translate these from English in Tengwar Galvorn (R+B).

Nanon
Each day's a gift and not a given right.
Not all those who wander are lost.
Not all tears are an evil.
A single dream is more powerful than a thousand realities.

Thanks.
Kakabel

Postby Apophenia » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:33 pm

Isildilmë wrote:I read "Darnok and Jalad at Tanajra", but the "o" of the first words is my guess as it's not written properly.

I found on the net this sentence from Star Trek (I'm not very knowledgeable about ST) : "Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra", so I guess that this was what this guy/lady tried to write, with some errors !

The second tengwa of the second word is the tengwar for "d" in English, with the bar over meaning that it's preceeded by the nasal of the same serie, so "nd".[/color]

That is too funny! Thank you so much, Isildilmë! (And thanks for explaining about the bar, too :) )
Apophenia

Postby dennyseccon » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:25 pm

Hi Isildilmë, first of all congrats for your work, we all Tolkien-lovers are very pleased! =D

I would like to be sure, though, that you have read my request. It is a very special request for a dear friend =)

Many thanks!
dennyseccon

PreviousNext

Return to Language