Official Tengwar Transcription Thread (and TATTOOS) - IV

Tolkien's worlds were birthed out of his love of language and his work at creating new ones. Enter into discussions surrounding Tolkien's languages.

Re: Official Tengwar Transcription Thread (and TATTOOS) - IV

Postby Isildilmë » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:44 am

Mwenyewe9, no problem.

Edaw Balog wrote:Hey Isildilmë,

I have two quick (and hopefully easy) questions for you. First, would the capital "I" in "I love you" be placed above a long vowel carrier or a short vowel carrier? It seems like it is a long vowel to me, but I have seen it above short vowel carriers. Second, in my research I have found that a period is represented by what looks like a semi colon (a _ on the keyboard). I have also seen in some transcribers that it is represented by what looks like a semi colon followed by a period ( a -= on the keyboard). Which one is more correct to end a sentence and what is the difference? Thanks,

Wade

mmm, I'm afraid they are not quick nor that easy ! haha
It's all a matter of perception and of vision. As I explain on page one, the mode I currently use is orthographical (mostly). So for me, a "i" is a "i", and I don't make a difference weither it sounds like in "I", "fit", etc. In this kind of modes, a long carrier represent an accent or a double vowel (in English mostly for "ee" and "oo"). I may someday start something phonetic, like in some of Tolkien's writtings, but in that case I wouldn't treat "I" with a long "i", because it doesn't sound like a long "i" : it sounds like a diphtong of "a+i". And that is how I would treat it, and in the most recent publication of the early use Tolkien made of the Tengwar, that is how he represents "I" (with "a-i"). I know some transcribers use the long carrier... but I don't really agree with that. Maybe Tolkien used it in some writings (I don't know about this), but he used many other options, and I prefer them.

For the dot... For English I use the tree dots you are talking about (-=), but for other languages I use other symbols, according to what language it is. In many sources I read, they separated what Tolkien used for different languages, and in other sources they mixed them all. That may be one of the reasons for the confusion. The only one for which everyone seems to agree is the comma represented by a middle dot. For Sindarin Mode of Beleriand, I use the one which looks like a colon. For Quenya, twice this one. For Sindarin mode of Beleriand, "=-=". And so on. But I'll be honest with you, I saw many things, and I think that the punctuations were not that important for Tolkien. In the title page of the LOTR you'll see a punctuation with a colon and a wave, that is described in many places as a dot representing the end of a paragraph. Interesting too. And in the most recent publication on the early use of the Tengwar, Tolkien often just removed all the punctuations, or represented them as in English, with regular ",", ".", ":", "?", etc.

Is my way to do it better than that of another transcriber ? Maybe not. But this is how I do it.
Concerning the Official Tengwar Transcription Thread - V
To all the newbees, Welcome to TORC !
Before posting anything on this thread, READ THE INTRODUCTION. For now, I didn't have the time to update the intro, so I let you read the intro of the preceeding thread here.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the threads or by email (isildilme@hotmail.com - write "Tengwar" somewhere in the subject in case you fall in my junkmail, because if I don't know, I wont open the message !). Note that I don't accept transcription requests by email, you have to post them here !

You can address yourself to me in French, Spanish or English as you wish.

Special message : I have now a precious son, born on November 24th. He is my priority, and the explanation for the delays in my answers. I WILL answer you... but you might have to wait. Thank you for your comprehension.
Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Isildilmë » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:19 pm

Message for cinemagirl !!!
Sorry, I didn't realise that you also ask for Quenya. I want you to know that I can do the English version here, but if you want it in Quenya too, you have to ask the translation of the word in the Quenya thread (Official Quenya translation thread II), and when you have it I write it in Tengwar for you. For now I'll do the English version when your turn comes (soon).
Before posting anything on this thread, READ THE INTRODUCTION. For now, I didn't have the time to update the intro, so I let you read the intro of the preceeding thread here.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the threads or by email (isildilme@hotmail.com - write "Tengwar" somewhere in the subject in case you fall in my junkmail, because if I don't know, I wont open the message !). Note that I don't accept transcription requests by email, you have to post them here !

Special message : I have now a precious son, born on November 24th. He is my priority, and the explanation for the delays in my answers. I WILL answer you... but you might have to wait. Thank you for your comprehension.
Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Caitlyn7679 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:57 am

Isildilmë wrote:
Caitlyn7679 wrote:Hello!
I cant remember how long ago I was on here, but I had requested a transcription for a quote that I think was forgotten!! It was-
"The way is shut, it was made by those who are dead, and the dead keep it. The way is shut, until the time comes." in TA-I
I was wondering if it is still possible for you to transcribe it for me!! :)

Also I was looking around for a proper transcription, again in TA-I, for the WORDS (not characters such as 9, 10, 11) but words, NINE, TEN, ELEVEN.

Thank you thank you thank you!!

What is happening with people !?!
The last post you wrote (before that one) was on October 3rd, and you said the same thing, that you had been forgotten or something, and that you asked it a month before.
On October 5th (reasonable delay I would say), I wrote at your intemption this answer :

Isildilmë wrote:Caitlyn7679, I’m done with your transcription, and I posted it a little while ago ! On September 23 to be very precise :) (I think it’s about in the middle of page #54).

I know I will look upset saying that, but it's not the case, I'm just a bit deceived of the quantity of people who seem to just ask, and not to read the answer. You didn't see the transcriptions, you asked for it as if I didn't do it, I told you very precisely where it was and you didn't read that answer neither.
Hopefully not everybody does the same, because I would need to spend even more time on these explanations that could be saved with a little effort from everybody than on transcriptions themselves. I'm not sure I would continue !

Sorry this falls on you. I had to much of these lately (here or directly by email). The double shot just made it worst !

If you still want the numbers (in words), I can had you to my list, and it's a pleasure, but you wont have it until a few days or weeks, and I would expect from you to keep watching the thread from time to time and reading all the posts (at least those by me) to be sure that you don't miss my answer again. Thank you for your understanding.

Oh my! I am so so sorry! I never got any notice, usually I get an email saying I was responded to! I am sorry to be an annoyance. I really do appreciate everything you do, and I think it is, quite simply, very bad ass of you! Again sorry to have angered you. The numbers would be fantastic, of course whenever you can! And I will do my duty and not expect an email, but to continue to check myself! Thank you!
Caitlyn7679
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Isildilmë » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:15 am

Caitlyn7679 wrote:Oh my! I am so so sorry! I never got any notice, usually I get an email saying I was responded to! I am sorry to be an annoyance. I really do appreciate everything you do, and I think it is, quite simply, very bad ass of you! Again sorry to have angered you. The numbers would be fantastic, of course whenever you can! And I will do my duty and not expect an email, but to continue to check myself! Thank you!

You are forgiven ;)
And not just because you said that what I do was bad ass :lol:
And yeah, don't wait for emails. They send email to say that someone wrote on a thread after you, but if I got it well, the email cease when you stop to visit the thread everytime it tells you that someone wrote something. So you better come from time to time by yourself and see what you missed.

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby cinemagirl » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:01 am

Isildilmë wrote:Message for cinemagirl !!!
Sorry, I didn't realise that you also ask for Quenya. I want you to know that I can do the English version here, but if you want it in Quenya too, you have to ask the translation of the word in the Quenya thread (Official Quenya translation thread II), and when you have it I write it in Tengwar for you. For now I'll do the English version when your turn comes (soon).

Thanks!!! I will do that right away and get back to you! Thank you so much for doing the English Version!!! You are amazing!!! Thanks
cinemagirl

Postby Isildilmë » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:20 am

Hi everybody.
I just want to inform you that I'm done with almost all the requests (there is one for which I want to check something first), at least for the transcription part. I'll start tomorrow to change them into images, but that part can be long sometimes, so I cannot warranty answers for everyone tomorrow, but if that is not tomorrow, it will be in the next days for sure.

Isn't that a good new ? ;)

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Official Tengwar Transcription Thread (and TATTOOS) - IV

Postby 11kgre1 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:08 pm

Im looking to get a tattoo that kind of for my love of the Lord of the Rings, so I was wondering if you could properly write out these English words into TA-R+B

The first word is just "conquer"
The second is a quote "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Thanks!!! I would really appreciate it!!!
11kgre1

Postby Edaw Balog » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:20 pm

Thank you for the clarification and you quick response.
Edaw Balog

Postby Daefaroth » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:15 pm

Isildilmë wrote:Hi everybody.
I just want to inform you that I'm done with almost all the requests (there is one for which I want to check something first), at least for the transcription part. I'll start tomorrow to change them into images, but that part can be long sometimes, so I cannot warranty answers for everyone tomorrow, but if that is not tomorrow, it will be in the next days for sure.

Isn't that a good new ? ;)

Good news indeed.

When the images for the last transcriptions have been posted here, please start a new thread.

Once the new thread is up and running, I will lock this one.

Thank you.
- - - - - Welcome to TORC - - - - -

- There are helpful Announcements at the top of most forums. Please read them.
- Need more help? Check the Adoption Forum.
- Premiere Membership helps support TORC.
Aspire not to rapid, large postcounts, for this only enhances the taste of a spammer,
when roasted with the Breath of Death and served with "Blair’s 16 Million Reserve" sauce.

Enjoy your visits. Remember to mind your manners.

Daefaroth *at* theonering -dot- com -OR- moderators *at* theonering -dot- com
Daefaroth
The Shadow Hunter

Postby unicornblake » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:35 pm

Hi, I would like to have two different phrases translated if possible from English into TA-I+B. I would like these for tattoos so if you have any other font suggestions please add them to the list, I really appreciate the help I have been trying to translate these for a while and can't figure it out with enough confidence yet.

Phrase 1:
"Believe in Yourself", or "Trust in Yourself" they both mean the same thing but I would prefer the first

Phrase 2:
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us" Which is my favorite quote from the whole series said by Gandalf.

Thank you sooo much!
unicornblake

Postby Herumor Ragnir » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:46 am

I'm pretty sure that I just want to see it in TA(I), both regular and bold, if possible. Once again, I thank you for your noble work, Isildme.
Herumor Ragnir

Postby Isildilmë » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:52 am

Daefaroth wrote:When the images for the last transcriptions have been posted here, please start a new thread.

Once the new thread is up and running, I will lock this one.

Thank you.

Yeah, I was thinking of that for a while, and as I procrastinated against my will, I was thinking that you might someday come after me ! But I didn't have the time to work on it... look, I think it's better to lock it now, and I'll post the transcriptions in the new thread I just opened. I'll edit my intro when I'll have the time to compose a decent one, because I want to make modifications from the one I used for here. The new thread is ready to get sticky.

So I put my closure post right now, and I'll see all of you (including the few new requests of yesterday) on the new thread !

Hello everyone ! Once again, I must warn you that this thread will be closed after this post. The reason of this is that it’s getting too big ! Funny fact : this thread was open on December 30th of last year, so we had over 2000 posts in it in less than a year. Not that bad, eh ?!

But don’t worry, nothing is over ! :) I've created a new thread, named
Official Tengwar Transcription Thread (and TATTOOS) - V (click on the link to access the thread).

There is no need to post your request there again if you already posted it here, because I have all of them in note and I'll answer in time. The answers will be on the new thread.

Now please
don't put anything more on this thread , I'd like if this message could be the last so that everybody who visit it will know where to go reading the last post. A moderator will close officially the thread as soon as he/she passes by. If you post something here, I’ll ask him/her to erase it.

See you in Tengwar V !

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Daefaroth » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:58 am

Thank you Isildime. It is always a pleasure to work with you.

Thread locked per request.
- - - - - Welcome to TORC - - - - -

- There are helpful Announcements at the top of most forums. Please read them.
- Need more help? Check the Adoption Forum.
- Premiere Membership helps support TORC.
Aspire not to rapid, large postcounts, for this only enhances the taste of a spammer,
when roasted with the Breath of Death and served with "Blair’s 16 Million Reserve" sauce.

Enjoy your visits. Remember to mind your manners.

Daefaroth *at* theonering -dot- com -OR- moderators *at* theonering -dot- com
Daefaroth
The Shadow Hunter

Previous

Return to Language