The Official Quenya Translation Thread II

Tolkien's worlds were birthed out of his love of language and his work at creating new ones. Enter into discussions surrounding Tolkien's languages.

Postby Gladhaniel » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:38 pm

elise197:

LIFEMATE

There is no Quenya word for mate, so I tried to come up with alternatives that are fairly close to what you want. I assumed all of your phrases referred to a man you love, but please tell me if I'm wrong. :)

Tennoio meldor Forever lovers
Tennoio melindonya Forever my lover (masculine)
Uo tennoio Together forever (I would have preferred "Forever together," but tennoio uo sounded awful to me.)
Meldor coivien/cuilen Lovers for life
Uo coivien/cuilen Together for life
Melindonya coivien/cuilen My lover (masculine) for life

I'm not completely sure about the use of the dative in the three last examples, though. If I were you, I would try to pick one of the other phrases (the three first), which I'm much more certain about. ;)

BELOVED OF MY SOUL

Melda quén/nér fëanyava
Beloved person/man of my soul

I interpreted this sentence as "My soul's beloved." Please tell me if you were looking for something else. :D I decided to add person or man because beloved would have needed to be a noun for the sentence to make sense on its own. Since it is an adjective, I felt a noun was needed.

LOVE, TRUST

Did you mean those as infinitives, imperatives or nouns? For love I can give you all of those, but for trust we only have a noun.

LOVE, noun:melmë
LOVE (as a friend), infinitive ("to love"): melë
LOVE (as a friend), imperative ("love!"): á melë
TRUST, noun:estel

ONE RING TO SHOW OUR LOVE - ONE RING TO BIND US - ONE RING TO SEAL OUR LOVE - AND FOREVER TO ENTWINE US

I had to twist the meaning a bit due to uncertain grammar elements and lack of several needed words.

Minë corma tánala melmengwa - Minë corma nútalangwë* - Minë corma tácala melmengwa - Ar tennoio tulcas*
One ring showing our love - One ring tying us - One ring fastening our love - And forever fixing it

*Nut- is probably too literal, but I can't find anything better at the moment.
The ending -ngwë seems to be hypothetical, but I chose it since I found it important to emphasize that we are talking about two people, and because I wished to stick to the same form as -ngwa used a bit earlier in the phrase.
*According to [LT1:270], tulca- means "fix, set up, establish." I think it might be appropriate, because an identical homophone has the meaning "firm, strong, immovable, steadfast" [TULUK], which seems very appropriate in a context of marriage.
According to {CoE}, the active participle is tulca, but I can't guarantee it's accurate.

As always, I suggest you wait that Vea comes and takes a look at your request as well. :D
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

Postby elise197 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:33 am

Thanks Gladhaniel for your work - this gives us much to think about for our wedding band inscriptions.

Out of interest, what do the following words mean (if indeed they are Quenya at all)?

Estelio
Veleth
Chev
Sh'mai
elise197
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Gladhaniel » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:02 am

You're welcome! :D

Those words are not Quenya; they are probably Sindarin. To have them translated, you can ask Xandarien in the Official Sindarin Translation Thread :)
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

Translation

Postby msmuse » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:11 pm

Hi!

I was wondering if someone could translate the following for me into Quenya:

1. Between stimulus and response is a gap, and in that gap is our ability to choose.

2. My mother's keeper

Thank you in advance!
msmuse
Citizen of Imladris

Translation

Postby msmuse » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:14 pm

Hi!

1. Between stimulus and response is a gap, and in that gap is our ability to choose.

2. My mother's keeper

Thank you in advance!
msmuse
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Laerminuial » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:50 pm

Hi!

I'm thinking of having a map made of a fictional "Elvish Harlem" (for the small but important Noldor-American community of the 1920s) and I was hoping I could get some street and place names translated into Quenya (as close as possible, anyway, a lot of these are deep into Neo-Quenya territory), please and thank you.

Elvish Harlem
Manhattan (a transliteration rather than a translation here)
New York City
Central Park
Memorial Park
Tower of the Valar
St. Elfwine's Catholic Church
Harlem Meer (lake)
Indil's Tavern (beer-house, maybe?)
Summerdawn's Elvish Restaurant
Lambëtyaro's General/Goods Store
Public School 108
21st Precinct
Park Avenue
Madison Avenue
Fifth Avenue
104th Street
105th St.
106th St.
107th St.
108th St.
109th St.
110th St.
Laerminuial
Citizen of Imladris

Thank you!!

Postby starsnocturnelle » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:52 am

Thank you both so much for your help :)

Just wanted to clarify a couple of things if you don't mind.

1) Don't slumber in your life, be alive in your dreams
Áva lorë cuilenyassë *, ëa coina olorinyassë * (From Vea)

I'd like to use your word for 'life' Gladhaniel and also make this more 'intimate' sounding by using your formal suggestion for olorinyasse. So could I reword the sentence as:
Áva lorë coivietyassë, ëa coina olorityassë

Does this make sense, and is it correct? Also, how is this meant to sound in the way Vea wrote it - formal? I'm wondering what the words formed with 'n' mean e.g. in 'olorinyasse'. If olorilyasse is formal and olorityasse is polite - what is 'olorinyasse'? (I hope I make sense haha)
I'd like to know because I like the sound of the words with 'n' in them, but I want the sentence to have a polite meaning/feel to it.

2) In darkness a light can be found. Lift your eyes and see the stars.
Morniëssë cala ce hirna. Á orta hendulya ar cenë i eleni (From Vea)

Can I use this sentence but change hendulya for 'hendutya' as you suggested as a more 'intimate' sound Gladhaniel?

Thanks so much again to you both! :)
starsnocturnelle

Translation

Postby msmuse » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:55 am

Hi!

2. My mother's keeper

Thank you in advance!
msmuse
Citizen of Imladris

Posts...

Postby msmuse » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:05 am

sorry about all the double posts! Dont know how it happened...
msmuse
Citizen of Imladris

Gandalf quote needed in quenya!

Postby fool of a took » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:42 pm

Hi!

First of all.. big thumbs up to all the transcribers/translators here.. You're all amazing and making a lot of people very happy! anyway...
i was wonder if someone could translate a gandalf quote for me into quenya. I'm after 'all we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us'. Any help would be very much appreciated

Thanks in advance,

Carl.
fool of a took

Postby Gladhaniel » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:25 am

msmuse:

Hi! :D No problem about the double-posts. ;) Maybe you just simply clicked too many times when submitting your message?

BETWEEN STIMULUS AND RESPONSE IS A GAP, AND IN THAT GAP IS OUR ABILITY TO CHOOSE

Fásë* ëa enel* úsahtië ar nirmë, ar tana fásessë úvielwa**
A gap exists between temptation and act of will, and in that gap is our decision

I was limited in vocabulary again and, curiously enough, the words I found happen to emphasize how the choice or decision can be done consciously to avoid evil and do good. If that's not what you were going for, please just say so. :) Or perhaps Vea is going to come up with more neutral alternatives?

* I wonder if fásë is too literal, since its meaning (gap, gulf) seems to evoke a physical gap rather than a figurative one. But I could find no better word - and fásë is probably the closest we can get. :)
*I believe enel should be the proper word for between in this context, for it is said to mean "at the central position in a row, list, series, etc. but also applied to the case of three persons" [VT47:11], as opposed to e.g. imbi, which rather means among.
*Úvië means "considering a matter (with a view to decision)" (VT48:32).
If you don't want to include the party addressed in our, it will be úvielma instead.
*Here I decided to say "...and in that gap our decision is" to reproduce the structure of ringa ná "it is cold" (textually "cold is"). Even though both phrases are not constructed exactly the same way, I feel such a turn of phrase would be more Quenya-like.

MY MOTHER'S KEEPER

Amillenyo tirno*
My mother's watcher

*Tirnowatcher is isolated from halatirno. It does look like a rather masculine word to me, which might be a problem if you're a woman, but I think it's the best I can do in the circumstances.

Like usual, a verification by Vea is advised! :D

Laerminuial:

Wow, that's a really challenging request! :)

I'm trying to figure out how to do this. I believe the easiest way would probably be to translate the names with a meaning that can possibly be rendered in Quenya, and to simply do a transliteration for the rest (like "Manhattan," Madison," etc). Would that be okay for you? And what about the numbers: do you want them to be written in characters, in long form?

I'd never heard of the "Elvish Harlem" before.. Very interesting! :D
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

Postby Gladhaniel » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:35 am

starsnocturnelle:

starsnocturnelle wrote:Áva lorë coivietyassë, ëa coina olorityassë

This looks perfect to me! :)

starsnocturnelle wrote:Also, how is this meant to sound in the way Vea wrote it - formal? I'm wondering what the words formed with 'n' mean e.g. in 'olorinyasse'. If olorilyasse is formal and olorityasse is polite - what is 'olorinyasse'? (I hope I make sense haha)
I'd like to know because I like the sound of the words with 'n' in them, but I want the sentence to have a polite meaning/feel to it.

Oh, I see what you mean! Olorinyassë, and any other possessive form with -nya, is actually the first person singular. :) I think Vea must just have made a little mistake of inattention there, like I do sometimes as well. :D So unfortunately, you won't be able to use that in your sentence, as you're looking for the second person singular. Your choice resides between -lya and -tya, depending on the tone you want your phrase to have. :)

starsnocturnelle wrote:Morniëssë cala ce hirna. Á orta hendulya ar cenë i eleni.

Can I use this sentence but change hendulya for 'hendutya' as you suggested as a more 'intimate' sound Gladhaniel?

Yes, that should be okay! :D

Of course, if possible it would be great if you could wait for Vea's final okay as well, but everything looks fine to me. :)

fool of a took:

Hello! :)

Here I'm going to refer you back to a post I wrote on the third page of this thread. If you have any question, please ask. :D

Gladhaniel wrote:ALL WE HAVE TO DECIDE IS WHAT TO DO WITH THE TIME THAT IS GIVEN TO US

I found an interesting translation of this famous sentence here. :)

Morelen wrote:Cilmemma* erinqua na* ita carimme* i lúmessë i men antaina na.*
Our choosing alone is what we do in the time that is given to us.

It looks very good to me! :D I only have a couple of things to point out.

*This form implies that the speaker talks about two people, and that the person addressed is not included. In your case, I think you could use either Cilmelma (exclusive) or Cilmelwa (inclusive). Both of those express general, instead of dual, plural.
*I think an accent is needed here.
*Again, I would suggest carilmë (exclusive) or carilwë (inclusive).
(exclusive: we, but not you) Cilmelma erinqua ná ita carilmë i lúmessë i men antaina ná.
(inclusive: we, including you) Cilmelwa erinqua ná ita carilwë i lúmessë i men antaina ná.
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

Postby Laerminuial » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:52 am

Gladhaniel wrote:Laerminuial:

Wow, that's a really challenging request! :)

I try to make life complicated for everyone I encounter :D

Gladhaniel wrote:I'm trying to figure out how to do this. I believe the easiest way would probably be to translate the names with a meaning that can possibly be rendered in Quenya, and to simply do a transliteration for the rest (like "Manhattan," Madison," etc). Would that be okay for you?

Absolutely - that's more or less what I had in mind.

Gladhaniel wrote:And what about the numbers: do you want them to be written in characters, in long form?

Long form, please. (The map is going to focus on a fairly small area, so there should be room for the full words)

Gladhaniel wrote:I'd never heard of the "Elvish Harlem" before.. Very interesting! :D

Thanks!
Laerminuial
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Laerminuial » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:53 am

Double post, sorry.
Laerminuial
Citizen of Imladris

Postby msmuse » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:25 am

Hi!

Thank you so much, I think the translation captures the meaning of the quote perfectly :)
msmuse
Citizen of Imladris

Postby starsnocturnelle » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:37 am

Gladhaniel wrote:starsnocturnelle:

starsnocturnelle wrote:Áva lorë coivietyassë, ëa coina olorityassë

This looks perfect to me! :)

starsnocturnelle wrote:Morniëssë cala ce hirna. Á orta hendulya ar cenë i eleni.

Yes, that should be okay! :D

Of course, if possible it would be great if you could wait for Vea's final okay as well, but everything looks fine to me. :)

While I wait for Vea's final opinion, could you please spell out phonetically how these 2 phrases would be pronounced please?
starsnocturnelle

Life and Music

Postby TheRedd » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:27 am

Hi! I've been looking for a way to translate an expression which I really want to get tattoed, and thus I've found this forum. Congratulations (and thank you) for your work!

I'd like to translate 'life and music' into quenya ;)
TheRedd

Postby tina_k » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:23 am

Gladhaniel and Vea thank you both for your replies! :)

However I am confused as to which phrase is most appropriate!
tina_k

Postby Gladhaniel » Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:14 pm

Laerminuial:

Your request did prove to be a true challenge! I feel like I probably did a horrible amount of transgressions to be able to translate your phrases, despite the fact that I spent an incredible amount of time trying to come up with alternatives Tolkien may have approved. As you seem to be aware of, my response goes deep into Neo-Quenya and, as such, it's important to remember it's very suggestive and probably not very accurate.

This said, I did try my best! :D

You will see I did not translate the phrases that included harlem. I searched everywhere but can't understand what harlem means. Could you please tell me a synonym or some other indication that might help me translate it? (Oh, how having French as a mother-tongue can be unpractical sometimes!)

Also, I chose to construct many names in the compound format that is observed in many attested examples, e.g. Dúnadan "Man of the West" (lit. "west-man") and Elendil "Lover of the Stars" (lit. "star-lover").

MANHATTAN

The transliteration I suggest would be the following:

Manatan

Another alternative would be to go with the etymology of the word. However, I found different etymologies depending on the website, so that might be a bit tricky. Most seem to agree on island, or "island of many hills." If we go with this etymology, the following translations can be obtained:

Lóna/Tol Island
Ambolóna/Ambotol/Tundulóna/Tundutol Hill-island

Elements separated by / have an almost identical meaning. You can choose the alternative you prefer!

NEW YORK CITY

Osto Vinyayorcë City New-York

The entire phrase is constructed on the basis of several Middle-earth place names, e.g. Cirith Ungol "Spider's Pass" (lit. "Cleft Spider") and Cirith Gorgor "Haunted Pass" (lit. "Cleft Horror"). Vinyayorcë is inspired by the attested examples Vinyamar "New Dwelling" and Vinyalondë "New Haven" ( made from vinya new ). I combined vinya with a transliteration of York.

CENTRAL PARK

Endetarwa Centre-garden

MEMORIAL PARK

Here, the only solution I saw was to take the verb we have for remember (enyal-) and try to transform it into a noun to create memory/remembrance. However, doing this would be extrapolating a lot, as it implies manipulating with the help of affixes we don't know much about. If you want to do this, I would suggest:

Ardalambion wrote: combined with lengthening of the stem-vowel is used to derive what is properly verbal nouns.

Enyal- would therefore become enyálë, which gives:

Enyáletarwa Memory/remembrance-garden

TOWER OF THE VALAR

Valarmindon Valar-tower

ST. ELFWINE'S CATHOLIC CHURCH

(1) Cyermecoa Elfwineva Elfwine's Prayer-house
or
(2) Cyermecoa Elendilwa Elfwine's Prayer-house

I'm not sure a King can be considered holy in Middle-earth but, of course, you choose whether you want to include that or not. :)

Elfwine seems to mean "elf-friend," which could be translated as Elendil.However, as you know, that may be very confusing. We can either (1) leave the name in its original language, thereby combining two languages in the same word in a doubtful and probably unpronounceable way. Or we can (2) risk a misunderstanding regarding the name while keeping the language coherency.

INDIL'S TAVERN

Yulmecoa Indilwa Indil's Drinking/Carousal-house

SUMMERDAWN'S ELVISH RESTAURANT

Eldarinwa/Quenderin* matsocoa saiwenárava* Summerdawn's Elvish Food-house

*For elvish, you have the choice between Eldarinwa "appl[ies] to the Tree Kindreds only, not to all the Quendi" [HFK] and Quenderin "referring to all the Quendi" [HKF].
* This is made of saiwen summer, ára dawn and the possessive ending -va.

For some reason, I find the translated phrase really weird-sounding and little name-like. :/

LAMBËTYARO'S GENERAL/GOODS STORE

Armarcoa Lambëtyarova Lambëtyaro's Goods-house

PUBLIC SCHOOL 108

Panta párecoa tolto tuxa Open learning-house 108

Similarly to what I did for Memorial Park, I tried to transform a verb (par- learn) into a noun here.

21ST PRECINCT

Peler minya yucainen 21st fenced field

Tolkien only gave us ordinals from one to twelve. For the numbers of your request, I will presume (although it might be a false assumption) that, even in tens and hundreds, the ordinal is put in the numeral. Numbers are supposed to come after the noun, but I'm only assuming it works the same way with ordinals.

I was only able to come miserably close to the meaning of precinct.

PARK AVENUE

Hoa tëa tarwava Large road of the garden

Since we have three words here, I would find it awkward to build a compound "Garden-large-road," so I'm simply writing it another way.

MADISON AVENUE

Hoa tëa Matisoneva Great road of Madison

FIFTH AVENUE

Hoa tëa lempëa Fifth great road

STREETS...

Tuxa tëa cantëa 104th St. (104th road)
Tuxa tëa lempëa 105th St. (105th road)
Tuxa tëa enquëa 106th St. (106th road)
Tuxa tëa otsëa 107th St. (107th road)
Tuxa tëa toltëa 108th St. (108th road)
Tuxa tëa nertëa 109th St. (109th road)
Tuxa tëa quainëa 110th St. (110th road)

As usual, I suggest you wait for Vea's point of view as well. :)
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

Postby Gladhaniel » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:03 pm

starsnocturnelle:

starsnocturnelle wrote:While I wait for Vea's final opinion, could you please spell out phonetically how these 2 phrases would be pronounced please?

I'm not familiar with the phonetic alphabet, sorry. :( For helpful tips about Quenya pronunciation, you can visit this page or this one! :)

TheRedd:

Hello! :) It's a pleasure to help people as much as we can. :D

Coivië/cuilë* ar lindalë
Life and music

*Coivië means life while cuilë is life, being alive.

tina_k:

tina_k wrote:Gladhaniel and Vea thank you both for your replies! :)

However I am confused as to which phrase is most appropriate!

No problem :) hehe, I understand your confusion! Let's look at the suggestions we gave you:

Vea mi olori wrote:Quentasta lomna fëo
Memoirs of a hidden soul

Gladhaniel wrote:Quentasta muina fëo
Memoirs of a secret soul

Quentasta halda fëo
Memoirs of a veiled/shadowed/shady soul

Quentasta foina fëo
Memoirs of a hidden soul

They're basically all the same, except when it comes to the translation of hidden. I would say they are all equally appropriate; you can choose the alternative whose meaning you prefer and find closer to the meaning you're looking for. :) While Vea constructed an adverb from the verb lom- hide (which implies creating a new word not originally created by Tolkien), all the phrases I gave are with attested adjectives.
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

Postby Laerminuial » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:53 am

Gladhaniel wrote:Laerminuial:

Your request did prove to be a true challenge! I feel like I probably did a horrible amount of transgressions to be able to translate your phrases, despite the fact that I spent an incredible amount of time trying to come up with alternatives Tolkien may have approved. As you seem to be aware of, my response goes deep into Neo-Quenya and, as such, it's important to remember it's very suggestive and probably not very accurate.

This said, I did try my best! :D

I'm nothing but pleased with the results :) Many, many thanks!

Gladhaniel wrote:You will see I did not translate the phrases that included harlem. I searched everywhere but can't understand what harlem means. Could you please tell me a synonym or some other indication that might help me translate it? (Oh, how having French as a mother-tongue can be unpractical sometimes!)

In this case, I think it'd be okay to just give it a Quenya transliteration (if needed) instead of a translation.

Gladhaniel wrote:ST. ELFWINE'S CATHOLIC CHURCH

I'm not sure a King can be considered holy in Middle-earth but, of course, you choose whether you want to include that or not. :)

:) I was thinking Ælfwine the Mariner (with Ælfwine modernized as Elfwine) instead of the King of Rohan, actually. I should've been specific!

Also, what would you suggest as a NQ transliteration for Catholic?
Laerminuial
Citizen of Imladris

Postby TheRedd » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:35 am

Thanks a lot!!! I guess I stay with coiviê...
TheRedd

Postby starsnocturnelle » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:52 pm

No problem Gladhaniel, thanks for the links!

I think I'm going to go ahead and get my transcriptions by Isildilme as you seemed pretty happy with my phrases and Vea checked the original ones (I just wanted a more 'friendly' sound than what Vea gave so have used your 'friendly' versions!)

Thanks for all your help - will keep checking by just in case Vea comes back on here :)
starsnocturnelle

Postby Gladhaniel » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:16 pm

Laerminuial:

You're welcome! :D

I would sugest haremë for a transliteration of harlem. I'm not sure the consonant cluster rl is allowed, and I find that an ë at the end gives a Quenya aspect to the word. :)

Laerminuial wrote::) I was thinking Ælfwine the Mariner (with Ælfwine modernized as Elfwine) instead of the King of Rohan, actually. I should've been specific!

OHH okay! I understand better now. :D

For catholic, the only proper translation I found was airë holy. Otherwise, I would maybe suggest the transliteration Caitolë. :)

TheRedd:

TheRedd wrote:Thanks a lot!!! I guess I stay with coiviê...

Great! :) With ë at the end, though, right? ;)

starsnocturnelle:

starsnocturnelle wrote:No problem Gladhaniel, thanks for the links!

I think I'm going to go ahead and get my transcriptions by Isildilme as you seemed pretty happy with my phrases and Vea checked the original ones (I just wanted a more 'friendly' sound than what Vea gave so have used your 'friendly' versions!)

Thanks for all your help - will keep checking by just in case Vea comes back on here :)

Alright! That seems pretty safe to me. :)
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

Opinion needed

Postby fool of a took » Tue May 01, 2012 5:39 am

Hi,

I was wondering if you could cast an eye over these translations and give me your opinion on which you would regard as most accurate.

1. ilya lavilvë turë ná mana i lúnen antainalvë
2. Cilmelwa erinqua ná ita carilwë I lúmessë I men antaina ná
3. cilmemma erinqua na ita carimme i lúmessë i men antaina na
4. Ilya ya mauya men cilë ná ita carë i lúmenen ya men antaina ná
5. Ilya cilmëmma ná ita carimmë i lúmënen ya men antaina ná
6. Orë men eressë marta mana carë i lúmenen ya camilmë

Anything you can do for me would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Carl
fool of a took

Postby Gladhaniel » Thu May 03, 2012 5:59 am

fool of a took:

I think I would go with a combination of those three sentences, which are all similar:

fool of a took wrote:2. Cilmelwa* erinqua* ná ita carilwë I lúmessë* I men antaina ná.

3. Cilmemma* erinqua* na ita carimme i lúmessë* i men antaina na.

5. Ilya* cilmëmma* ná ita carimmë i lúmënen* ya men antaina ná.

*Ilya emphasizes that it is "ALL our choosing." You can add it or leave it out, depending on the effect you want.
*Cilmelwa means an our of at least three persons, including the party addressed, whereas cilmemma ( which I would personally choose not to write with ë) means "my and one other's" {VT49:16}. It depends on whether you want our to refer two two people, or more. My personal choice would be cilmelwa because it includes you and anyone else. If you choose this alternative, the corresponding form of the verb make a bit later in the sentence would be carilwë.
*Erinqua alone is also facultative.
*The use of the locative case ( as in lúmessë) would normally give "in the time," which would be okay in this context. However, Tolkien gives lúmissen as meaning "at the times," so using lúmessë would rather give "at the time." The use of the instrumental case in lúmenen seems like a safer alternative because it is supposed to mean almost directly "with the time."

(Ilya) cilmelwa (erinqua) ná ita carilwë i lúmenen ya men ataina ná.
(All) our choosing (alone) is that which we make with the time that is given to us.

If I were you, I would use either ilya or erinqua, but not both, since using the two does not really make sense.
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

Postby tina_k » Thu May 03, 2012 8:54 am

Thank you so much! :)
tina_k

Postby fool of a took » Thu May 03, 2012 9:02 am

Thank you so much for your time, it's very much appreciated.
fool of a took

Postby Gladhaniel » Thu May 03, 2012 12:03 pm

You're welcome! :) It's always a pleasure.
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

Help needed

Postby Malin89 » Sat May 05, 2012 4:34 am

Hello everyone,

I would greatly appreciate if someone could translate this into Quenya:

'Stormborn' - I know the word does not exist per se, so I'm looking for something with the same meaning, i.e. 'born of the storm'

Looking forward to your reply!
Malin89

PreviousNext

Return to Language