The Official Quenya Translation Thread II

Tolkien's worlds were birthed out of his love of language and his work at creating new ones. Enter into discussions surrounding Tolkien's languages.

Postby Gladhaniel » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:01 pm

jaktens:

Welcome back! :D

SURVIVE

Unfortunately, there's no verb for either to survive or to live. What about "protect your life" (in the imperative)?

Á varya coivienya/cuilenya*

* Coivië is said to mean life ( earlier glossed as awakening), whereas cuilë is life, being alive.

BE YOURSELF

Ána[?]* immo (imperative tense)

*The regular imperative for the verb to be would probably be á ná; however, as it is a rather ill-known verb and we absolutely can't be sure it's regular, it would be risky to imply such a construction. I found ána as a possible alternative on CoucilOfElrond's verb chart, but it's not certain.

DREAMER

There's no equivalent for dreamer per say. What you can do instead is create some sort of Quenya name from an existing word.

Here are possibilities that come from olor dream. I tried combinations with other words of the same meaning, but they really didn't sound that nice to me, so I ruled them out; and I also considered forming a name/title coming from the verb to dream but decided against it, since I'm not sure that the verb óla- should be thought to behave "regularly" in such a construction.

"Female who dreams"

Olorë ( notice how this one, created from olor, ends up looking almost exactly like the word olórë, which also means dream)
Olorië
Olorien
Olorissë
Olorindë


"Male who dreams"

Oloro
Oloron
Olorindo


As usual, I suggest that you wait for Vea to come and double-check. :)
User avatar
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

 
Posts: 794
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:49 pm
Location: Québec, Canada
Top

Postby jaktens » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:00 am

Gladhaniel wrote:jaktens:

Welcome back! :D

SURVIVE

Unfortunately, there's no verb for either to survive or to live. What about "protect your life" (in the imperative)?

Á varya coivienya/cuilenya*

* Coivië is said to mean life ( earlier glossed as awakening), whereas cuilë is life, being alive.

BE YOURSELF

Ána[?]* immo (imperative tense)

*The regular imperative for the verb to be would probably be á ná; however, as it is a rather ill-known verb and we absolutely can't be sure it's regular, it would be risky to imply such a construction. I found ána as a possible alternative on CoucilOfElrond's verb chart, but it's not certain.

DREAMER

There's no equivalent for dreamer per say. What you can do instead is create some sort of Quenya name from an existing word.

Here are possibilities that come from olor dream. I tried combinations with other words of the same meaning, but they really didn't sound that nice to me, so I ruled them out; and I also considered forming a name/title coming from the verb to dream but decided against it, since I'm not sure that the verb óla- should be thought to behave "regularly" in such a construction.

"Female who dreams"

Olorë ( notice how this one, created from olor, ends up looking almost exactly like the word olórë, which also means dream)
Olorië
Olorien
Olorissë
Olorindë


"Male who dreams"

Oloro
Oloron
Olorindo


As usual, I suggest that you wait for Vea to come and double-check. :)


wow! seems like its gonna be difficult this time ;D i ll wait for Vea, thanks for your attention ;)

by the way, here's my tattoo that i ve made with your guys help ;)
http://i40.tinypic.com/25yu3d5.jpg
jaktens
Petitioner to the Council
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:09 am
Top

Such a noob!

Postby tigereyes18042 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:30 pm

Hey guys! Just found your site which is awesome! I am looking to get a tattoo and was wondering if you would offer your translation services. I would like the phrase "our love - like a thousand stars in the midnight sky"
Thanks in advance for your time! :wink:
Last edited by tigereyes18042 on Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tigereyes18042
Petitioner to the Council
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:03 pm
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Top

Postby Vea mi olori » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:59 pm

Sorry for the lack of replies, just moved house.

Tomahawk I've developed an alternative version, closer to the original but has one or two potentially odd extrapolations.

And thou Melkor, shall see that no music may/can* be played that hath not its beginning in me, and on one (lit. no person) can any alter the music contrary to the act of my will.

Elyë** Melkor, cenuva i lindalë lerta*** tyaldë**** ya penë yesserya ***** nissë******, ar laquen******* polë ilqueni vista******** i lindalë úsië********* i nirmënya.

*”can” used in the sense of being free to do
**Even thou, emphatic second person pronoun
***lerta, “can” in the sense of being free to do something.
****past participle of tyal-, “to play”
*****negative enquiry over ownership
*****this is apparently Helge’s construction
******locative case of first-person pronoun
*******No person, -quen with negative prefix. Ilquen “any person”
********”to alter”, transitive with an unaltered ending for the infinitive
*********”on the contrary”, literally “negative-thus”

I'll get on the rest when I have more time! Sorry guys.
User avatar
Vea mi olori
Shield Bearer

 
Posts: 387
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:18 pm
Location: Norfolk, UK
Top

Postby Vea mi olori » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:32 am

jaktens

'survive' - again had issues with it not being an extant word, but I agree with Gladhaniel'sÁ varya cuilenya

'be yourself' –na* intyë**

*nais used as the imperative inna airë(be holy), so I’m using a similar form here, although the reflexive “yourself” may have different rules that we don’t know about.

**I’ve not usedimmohere, as although it’s listed as a reflexive pronoun for a subject, it strikes me as more “itself” or “oneself” rather than the more personal "yourself" ofintyë. I've assumed that this is advice given to a single person with whom you are familiar; if it's a single person with whom you're you're particularly familar, it would beimlë. As a general statement, broadcast to all, I would useimmoas "oneself" works as a general form of address. Also, I've found a note that it might be preferable toimlëas the ml cluster is uncommon in Quenya, but there are no further grounds for dismissing it than that.

I've got two possibilities for "dreamer":

óloraquen- literally "dreaming-person", this uses the present-continual tense. For a more general description, the aoristoloriquenmay be better.

ólorao/óloraó- similar to Gladaniel's words, this just puts as shorter ending meaning "person" on the end of the verb. I'm not really sure how interchangeable-oand-quenare; I think-ois more masculine as Gladhaniel says, but this might not be the case.-quenis however definitely gender-neutral.
User avatar
Vea mi olori
Shield Bearer

 
Posts: 387
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:18 pm
Location: Norfolk, UK
Top

Postby Gladhaniel » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:41 am

jaktens:

jaktens wrote:by the way, here's my tattoo that i ve made with your guys help ;)
http://i40.tinypic.com/25yu3d5.jpg

Wow, that's a really wonderful tattoo! :D Thank you for showing it to us. :)

Vea mi olori wrote:'be yourself' –na* intyë**

*nais used as the imperative inna airë(be holy), so I’m using a similar form here, although the reflexive “yourself” may have different rules that we don’t know about.

**I’ve not usedimmohere, as although it’s listed as a reflexive pronoun for a subject, it strikes me as more “itself” or “oneself” rather than the more personal "yourself" ofintyë. I've assumed that this is advice given to a single person with whom you are familiar; if it's a single person with whom you're you're particularly familar, it would beimlë. As a general statement, broadcast to all, I would useimmoas "oneself" works as a general form of address. Also, I've found a note that it might be preferable toimlëas the ml cluster is uncommon in Quenya, but there are no further grounds for dismissing it than that.

Very good points! :) I second all of this.

The two first phrases should therefore be:

Survive ("protect your life") Á varya cuilenya
Be yourself Na intyë

Regarding dreamer, I just came across posts we wrote on the first page. Apparently, we had gotten the exact same request!

Gladhaniel wrote:jaymee:

Vea mi olori wrote:I can't find any word for "dreamer", nor a direct method to make a verb into a "verb-doer" noun (e.g. run into runner, work into worker etc). But I can put together a compound that means more or less that -oloriquenis "dreaming-person".

Why put an i between olor and quen? I think the consonant cluster rqu is valid, so Olorquen should be okay. :)

I think adding a name suffix to olor or olórë is another good alternative! Here your gender becomes important.

Female:
Olorë
Olorissë
Olorindë


Male:
Olor(n)o
Olorindo
Olormo
Olór(n)ëo

Pretty consistent, am I not? :D Actually, the mention of the transformation of a verb into a verb doer just made me think of something I read on this website:

Lambengolmo wrote:AGENTAL SUFFIXES

This form of suffixes provide with the possibility of forming new nouns out of action verbs: work -> worker, and such.

Male agental suffix -indo, female -indë.
Neutral agental suffix -r, male form -ro, female form -rë. (Not always agental, but instead marking a relation between the noun and a person)
Impersonal agental suffix -il, useful to design tool related to a specific work, but which may also function as neutral personal agental particle.

If we follow this source, it seems like olorindo (male) and olorindë (female) would be the exact equivalent of dreamer. Also, I still stick to olorquen (dream-person) as another good alternative. :)
Last edited by Gladhaniel on Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

 
Posts: 794
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:49 pm
Location: Québec, Canada
Top

Postby Gladhaniel » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:57 am

tigereyes18042:

I fiund your sentence very beautiful! :) Please wait for Vea's opinion as well, but here's my take on it. :D

Melmengwa* — ve húmë* eleni i lómessë*
Our love — like a thousand stars in the night sky

*This is the dual inclusive form, which means that the love belongs to two people: it's yours and someone else's.
*This is apparently a Qenya (archaic) term. Its incorporation into a more modern Quenya sentence is perhaps a bit awkward, but I'm not aware of a new term that could be used instead. It seems like mencë might be an extrapolated modern cognate from Sindarin meneg, but that's really just a theory.
*Unfortunately, there is no Quenya word for midnight.

Tomahawk: I'll be reviewing Vea's sentence either this evening or tomorrow, to see if I have any comment to add. :)
User avatar
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

 
Posts: 794
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:49 pm
Location: Québec, Canada
Top

a quote by Socrates

Postby nickolas30 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:13 pm

hi, could you please translate for me the quote "I know one thing, that I know nothing" (you may know it's greek form ''en eida oti ouden eida'' ,greek caracters not showing). I'd like an opinion from both of you guys since i'm considering of tatooing it :wink:
nickolas30
Petitioner to the Council
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:46 pm
Top

Postby tigereyes18042 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:11 pm

Thanks Gladhaniel for the quick response! Vea i eagerly await your input. Thanks again :)
tigereyes18042
Petitioner to the Council
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:03 pm
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Top

Postby jaktens » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:28 am

Gladhaniel wrote:jaktens:

jaktens wrote:by the way, here's my tattoo that i ve made with your guys help ;)
http://i40.tinypic.com/25yu3d5.jpg

Wow, that's a really wonderful tattoo! :D Thank you for showing it to us. :)

Vea mi olori wrote:'be yourself' –na* intyë**

*nais used as the imperative inna airë(be holy), so I’m using a similar form here, although the reflexive “yourself” may have different rules that we don’t know about.

**I’ve not usedimmohere, as although it’s listed as a reflexive pronoun for a subject, it strikes me as more “itself” or “oneself” rather than the more personal "yourself" ofintyë. I've assumed that this is advice given to a single person with whom you are familiar; if it's a single person with whom you're you're particularly familar, it would beimlë. As a general statement, broadcast to all, I would useimmoas "oneself" works as a general form of address. Also, I've found a note that it might be preferable toimlëas the ml cluster is uncommon in Quenya, but there are no further grounds for dismissing it than that.

Very good points! :) I second all of this.

The two first phrases should therefore be:

Survive ("protect your life") Á varya cuilenya
Be yourself Na intyë

Regarding dreamer, I just came across posts we wrote on the first page. Apparently, we had gotten the exact same request!

Gladhaniel wrote:jaymee:

Vea mi olori wrote:I can't find any word for "dreamer", nor a direct method to make a verb into a "verb-doer" noun (e.g. run into runner, work into worker etc). But I can put together a compound that means more or less that -oloriquenis "dreaming-person".

Why put an i between olor and quen? I think the consonant cluster rqu is valid, so Olorquen should be okay. :)

I think adding a name suffix to olor or olórë is another good alternative! Here your gender becomes important.

Female:
Olorë
Olorissë
Olorindë


Male:
Olor(n)o
Olorindo
Olormo
Olór(n)ëo

Pretty consistent, am I not? :D Actually, the mention of the transformation of a verb into a verb doer just made me think of something I read on this website:

Lambengolmo wrote:AGENTAL SUFFIXES

This form of suffixes provide with the possibility of forming new nouns out of action verbs: work -> worker, and such.

Male agental suffix -indo, female -indë.
Neutral agental suffix -r, male form -ro, female form -rë. (Not always agental, but instead marking a relation between the noun and a person)
Impersonal agental suffix -il, useful to design tool related to a specific work, but which may also function as neutral personal agental particle.

If we follow this source, it seems like olorindo (male) and olorindë (female) would be the exact equivalent of dreamer. Also, I still stick to olorquen (dream-person) as another good alternative. :)



thanks for everything guys. you rock :D
jaktens
Petitioner to the Council
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:09 am
Top

Postby Tomahawk » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:33 pm

Gladhaniel wrote:tigereyes18042:

I fiund your sentence very beautiful! :) Please wait for Vea's opinion as well, but here's my take on it. :D

Melmengwa* — ve húmë* eleni i lómessë*
Our love — like a thousand stars in the night sky

*This is the dual inclusive form, which means that the love belongs to two people: it's yours and someone else's.
*This is apparently a Qenya (archaic) term. Its incorporation into a more modern Quenya sentence is perhaps a bit awkward, but I'm not aware of a new term that could be used instead. It seems like mencë might be an extrapolated modern cognate from Sindarin meneg, but that's really just a theory.
*Unfortunately, there is no Quenya word for midnight.

Tomahawk: I'll be reviewing Vea's sentence either this evening or tomorrow, to see if I have any comment to add. :)

Thank you both so much!
Tomahawk
Petitioner to the Council
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:46 am
Top

Postby Gladhaniel » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:03 pm

You're all very welcome! :D

Vea mi olori wrote:Tomahawk I've developed an alternative version, closer to the original but has one or two potentially odd extrapolations.

And thou Melkor, shall see that no music may/can be played that hath not its beginning in me, and on one (lit. no person) can any alter the music contrary to the act of my will.

Elyë* Melkor, cenuva i lindalë lerta tyaldë* ya penë yesserya nissë,* ar laquen polë* ilqueni vista i lindalë úsië* i nirmënya.

*So the translation here would be "Even thou, Melkor, shall see that...", right? Or can elyë simply be used as emphasised pronoun?
*I was trying to avoid passive constructions precisely because it gets so confusing! I see lindalë lerta tyaldë as meaning "music can played" rather than "music can BE played" - but I'm not quite sure how to fix that. Do we have attested examples of passive constructions at all? Otherwise, I'm confused as so the best procedure here. It's something I'm not familiar with.
*Makes sense! But as nissë also means woman, I guess the word may be misleading.
*Can as in "having the physical ability to"
*I rather see úsië as being appropriate in sentences such as "Elves are beautiful. Orcs, on the contrary, are ugly." I think what we need here might be more among the lines of "despite" - unfortunately, since we don't have that word in Quenya, we're stuck somehow.

nickolas30: I'll be doing your request as soon as I can! :)
User avatar
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

 
Posts: 794
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:49 pm
Location: Québec, Canada
Top

Postby Mmarieta » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:05 am

Hey! Could you translate those quotes to me for tattoo:


Everyone is building their own future.
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
Through the love, through the tears, through the pain.
Happiness is not worth to look for, it will find you.
Follow your dreams to get what you want.
Born to survive.
Mmarieta
Petitioner to the Council
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:52 am
Top

Postby ninque-elen » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:36 pm

I have been thinking about getting a tattoo for a long time and I would
really love it if you could translate some lines for me as I am not sure yet which text will be my ultimate choice.


All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Dreams are illustrations from the book your soul is writing

A single dream is more powerful than a thousand realities
ninque-elen
Petitioner to the Council
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:25 pm
Location: The Netherlands
Top

Postby nickolas30 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:48 pm

Gladhaniel wrote:You're all very welcome! :D

Vea mi olori wrote:Tomahawk I've developed an alternative version, closer to the original but has one or two potentially odd extrapolations.

And thou Melkor, shall see that no music may/can be played that hath not its beginning in me, and on one (lit. no person) can any alter the music contrary to the act of my will.

Elyë* Melkor, cenuva i lindalë lerta tyaldë* ya penë yesserya nissë,* ar laquen polë* ilqueni vista i lindalë úsië* i nirmënya.

*So the translation here would be "Even thou, Melkor, shall see that...", right? Or can elyë simply be used as emphasised pronoun?
*I was trying to avoid passive constructions precisely because it gets so confusing! I see lindalë lerta tyaldë as meaning "music can played" rather than "music can BE played" - but I'm not quite sure how to fix that. Do we have attested examples of passive constructions at all? Otherwise, I'm confused as so the best procedure here. It's something I'm not familiar with.
*Makes sense! But as nissë also means woman, I guess the word may be misleading.
*Can as in "having the physical ability to"
*I rather see úsië as being appropriate in sentences such as "Elves are beautiful. Orcs, on the contrary, are ugly." I think what we need here might be more among the lines of "despite" - unfortunately, since we don't have that word in Quenya, we're stuck somehow.

nickolas30: I'll be doing your request as soon as I can! :)

Thank you so much!
nickolas30
Petitioner to the Council
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:46 pm
Top

Postby Gladhaniel » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:32 pm

nickolas30:

Istan(yë)* er* nat:* i* istan(yë)* munta.
I know one thing: that I know nothing.

*What's between parenthesis is optional. But be sure to make a consistent choice: either use istan two times, or istanyë two times.
*I think er (one: something alone ) would be more appropriate than minë (one: the first of a series ) in this sentence. However, as it's also said to mean "only, but, still," I guess it's kind of a tricky word.
*I decided to use nat instead of engwë here, because engwë also means sickly and might possibly be used as an emphatic pronoun as well - whereas nat doesn't seem to have any other meaning.
*Using i in this sentence is an extrapolation. We have attested examples showing that Tolkien uses i as a conjunction in sentences such as "I believe Elessar really existed and that he was a king of Gondor" - but nothing indicates whether employing it after a colon is appropriate.

Just so you know, Vea told me he's very busy at the moment, so it might take a while before he double-checks this. :)

Mmarieta and ninque-elen: I took note of your requests. :)
User avatar
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

 
Posts: 794
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:49 pm
Location: Québec, Canada
Top

Postby nickolas30 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:45 am

Gladhaniel wrote:nickolas30:

Istan(yë)* er* nat:* i* istan(yë)* munta.
I know one thing: that I know nothing.

*What's between parenthesis is optional. But be sure to make a consistent choice: either use istan two times, or istanyë two times.
*I think er (one: something alone ) would be more appropriate than minë (one: the first of a series ) in this sentence. However, as it's also said to mean "only, but, still," I guess it's kind of a tricky word.
*I decided to use nat instead of engwë here, because engwë also means sickly and might possibly be used as an emphatic pronoun as well - whereas nat doesn't seem to have any other meaning.

*Using i in this sentence is an extrapolations on. We have attested examples showing that Tolkien uses i as a conjunction in sentences such as "I believe Elessar really existed and that he was a king of Gondor" - but nothing indicates whether employing it after a colon is appropriate.

Just so you know, Vea told me he's very busy at the moment, so it might take a while before he double-checks this. :)

Mmarieta and ninque-elen: I took note of your requests. :)


Thank you so much! You are great :lol:heading to the transcription area tomorrow!
nickolas30
Petitioner to the Council
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:46 pm
Top

Postby Gladhaniel » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:33 am

nickolas30 wrote:
Gladhaniel wrote:nickolas30:

Istan(yë)* er* nat:* i* istan(yë)* munta.
I know one thing: that I know nothing.

*What's between parenthesis is optional. But be sure to make a consistent choice: either use istan two times, or istanyë two times.
*I think er (one: something alone ) would be more appropriate than minë (one: the first of a series ) in this sentence. However, as it's also said to mean "only, but, still," I guess it's kind of a tricky word.
*I decided to use nat instead of engwë here, because engwë also means sickly and might possibly be used as an emphatic pronoun as well - whereas nat doesn't seem to have any other meaning.

*Using i in this sentence is an extrapolations on. We have attested examples showing that Tolkien uses i as a conjunction in sentences such as "I believe Elessar really existed and that he was a king of Gondor" - but nothing indicates whether employing it after a colon is appropriate.

Just so you know, Vea told me he's very busy at the moment, so it might take a while before he double-checks this. :)

Mmarieta and ninque-elen: I took note of your requests. :)


Thank you so much! You are great :lol:heading to the transcription area tomorrow!

No problem! :D Just remember there might be errors as my translation hasn't been double-checked yet, okay? :)
User avatar
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

 
Posts: 794
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:49 pm
Location: Québec, Canada
Top

Postby nickolas30 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:52 am

Gladhaniel wrote:
nickolas30 wrote:
Gladhaniel wrote:nickolas30:

Istan(yë)* er* nat:* i* istan(yë)* munta.
I know one thing: that I know nothing.

*What's between parenthesis is optional. But be sure to make a consistent choice: either use istan two times, or istanyë two times.
*I think er (one: something alone ) would be more appropriate than minë (one: the first of a series ) in this sentence. However, as it's also said to mean "only, but, still," I guess it's kind of a tricky word.
*I decided to use nat instead of engwë here, because engwë also means sickly and might possibly be used as an emphatic pronoun as well - whereas nat doesn't seem to have any other meaning.

*Using i in this sentence is an extrapolations on. We have attested examples showing that Tolkien uses i as a conjunction in sentences such as "I believe Elessar really existed and that he was a king of Gondor" - but nothing indicates whether employing it after a colon is appropriate.

Just so you know, Vea told me he's very busy at the moment, so it might take a while before he double-checks this. :)

Mmarieta and ninque-elen: I took note of your requests. :)


Thank you so much! You are great :lol:heading to the transcription area tomorrow!

No problem! :D Just remember there might be errors as my translation hasn't been double-checked yet, okay? :)

You got it. Besides I'm too busy studying for my exams to get it done now so it can wait a couple of months :wink:
nickolas30
Petitioner to the Council
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:46 pm
Top

Postby Gladhaniel » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:59 pm

nickolas30 wrote:You got it. Besides I'm too busy studying for my exams to get it done now so it can wait a couple of months :wink:

Great! ;)

Guys, I have just edited the introductory post of this thread. :) Please go take a look! There is a new section about Neo-Quenya that you would all benefit from reading. :D
User avatar
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

 
Posts: 794
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:49 pm
Location: Québec, Canada
Top

Postby Gladhaniel » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:01 pm

ninque-elen:

ALL WE HAVE TO DECIDE IS WHAT TO DO WITH THE TIME THAT IS GIVEN TO US

I found an interesting translation of this famous sentence here. :)

Morelen wrote:Cilmemma* erinqua na* ita carimme* i lúmessë i men antaina na.*
Our choosing alone is what we do in the time that is given to us.

It looks very good to me! :D I only have a couple of things to point out.

*This form implies that the speaker talks about two people, and that the person addressed is not included. In your case, I think you could use either Cilmelma (exclusive) or Cilmelwa (inclusive).
*I think an accent is needed here.
*Again, I would suggest carilmë (exclusive) or carilwë (inclusive).

(exclusive: we, but not you) Cilmelma erinqua ná ita carilmë i lúmessë i men antaina ná.
(inclusive: we, including you) Cilmelwa erinqua ná ita carilwë i lúmessë i men antaina ná.

DREAMS ARE ILLUSTRATIONS FROM THE BOOK YOUR SOUL IS WRITING

Olori/Olóri* nar halmer* i parmallo i fëalya/fëatya* téca.*
Dreams are drawings from the book that your soul is writing.

*Both should be plural forms of dream (olor or olórë). Note that Gandalf's name among the Maiar is Olórin!
*I couldn't come up with a closer word. According to [HKF], halmë is "isolated from Turuhalmë 'Log-drawing'" and is, therefore, only attested as a compound.
*Fëalya is formal/polite, whereas fëatya is more intimate.
*Since the only attested form of this verb seems to be an aorist tense according to [HKF], what I did here is create a new tense out of logical conclusions - but it's not attested.

A SINGLE DREAM IS MORE POWERFUL THAN A THOUSAND REALITIES

Again, a very nice translation was provided here by Morelen:

Morelen wrote:Erya olos* melehta ná epë húmë anwë* cuili.
A single dream is mightier than a thousand lives.

*Dream which bears vision-like qualities.
*You can leave it if you want to say "a thousand real, actual, true lives."

I don't have anything else to say about the translation. :) It looks great!

Interestingly, Morelen points out that the superlative is expressed in Quenya by the use of epë before - making our phrase read in English as "mightier before a thousand lives." According to him or her, although the translation sounds weird for us, it would be expressed like that in Quenya.

Of course, it'd be better if you waited for the point of view of Vea mi olori as well to see if he has something to add or to correct. :)
User avatar
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

 
Posts: 794
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:49 pm
Location: Québec, Canada
Top

Postby Gladhaniel » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Mmarieta:

You'll see I had to rephrase a lot of your sentences and phrases. Sorry about that! As usual, I suggest you wait for Vea's opinion as well. :D

EVERYONE IS BUILDING THEIR OWN FUTURE

Ilquen cára* cuilerya.*
Everybody is building his life.

*Car- apparently means "make, do, build, form." [HKF] Here, I assumed everybody should act as a singular subject in Quenya - but we can't be sure it's really the case. However, if we do that, their has to be changed because leaving it would cause a discrepancy in the number agreement. If everyone is singular, I think we should use his instead of their.
*Unfortunately, there's no word for own and future. The only thing I could come up with to try not to alter the meaning too much was cuilë ("life, being alive" {KUY}).

WHAT DOESN'T KILL YOU MAKES YOU STRONGER

I engwer i umë* nahta* tye ortar* túretya.*
The things that don't kill you rise your strength.

*Not sure whether üme should take the plural.. I don't think so, but I 'm not one hundred percent certain.
*Nahta- actually means slay. I guess using it here would somehow personify the "things," making them sound as though they can hurt and kill people.
* Ohta- is said to mean lift up, rise [HKF], which I think would work in our sentence.
*Here I chose the possessive suffix -tya ( intimate your) so that it matches tye written earlier in the sentence.

THROUGH THE LOVE, THROUGH THE TEARS, THROUGH THE PAIN

Ter(ë) i melmë, ter(ë) i nírë/nië,* ter(ë) i nwalma/naicë/naicelë*
Through the love, through the tears, through the pain

*Both should mean tear {NEI, LT1:262}.
*Here you have several choices. Nwalma means pain {VT46:4}, whereas naicë/naicelë is "sharp pain" {NÁYAK}. Perhaps the two last would be more appropriate for physical pain.

HAPPINESS IS NOT WORTH TO LOOK FOR, IT WILL FIND YOU

Áva saca alassë,* hiruvas tyé.*
Don't look for happiness, it will find you.

*Apparently, the closest Quenya equivalent of happiness would be alassë "joy, merriment" {GALÁS}[HKF].
*It seems like the vowel of tye is lengthened when you is stressed {VT49:51}. If stress means an emphasis in meaning, I would suggest you do write tyé to make the pronoun important in the sentence. If you don't wish to do that, use tye instead.

FOLLOW YOUR DREAMS TO GET WHAT YOU WANT

Á harya estel* ar á netë* i mertyë.*
Have hope and get what you want.

*The closest translation of dream I could find is estel hope, which is said to mean "a temper of mind, steady, fixed in purpose, and difficult to dissuade and unlikely to fall into despair or abandon its purpose" {WJ:318} or "trust" {MR:320}. I decided not to create the phrase "Follow your hope(s)" (closer to your request) since it seemed to me that estel probably shouldn't be employed in such a construction (it's a state of mind, so I think it can't really be followed per say).
*{QL:66} I'm very uncertain about net- and whether it actually means what we want it to say here.
* [HKF] Extrapolated verb stem from given tenses, indicated as meaning wish, desire {MER}. I wrote it as if the person addressed is someone known to you, a friend or a family member. For a more formal form, merlyë should be used instead - however, as rly sounds like a very much illegal consonant cluster in Quenya, I would advise you to stick to mertyë if possible.

BORN TO SURVIVE

Nóna* coivien huoreva*
Born for a life of courage

(Sorry about the major changes brought to this one.. I couldn't come up with anything better.)

*I'm not sure nóna works here as it's been isolated from another word and we can't know how it's used {Silm:122/381}[HKF], but it's the best solution I can find.
*Huorë means "mastery, might, victory" {QL:95}. Not sure ife using the possessive here is appropriate - nor if the word would be legal in Quenya.
User avatar
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

 
Posts: 794
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:49 pm
Location: Québec, Canada
Top

Postby Mmarieta » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:19 am

Oh, thank you!! I know it took a lot of time and work.
Mmarieta
Petitioner to the Council
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:52 am
Top

Postby ninque-elen » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:03 pm

Gladhaniel wrote:ninque-elen:

ALL WE HAVE TO DECIDE IS WHAT TO DO WITH THE TIME THAT IS GIVEN TO US

I found an interesting translation of this famous sentence here. :)

Morelen wrote:Cilmemma* erinqua na* ita carimme* i lúmessë i men antaina na.*
Our choosing alone is what we do in the time that is given to us.

It looks very good to me! :D I only have a couple of things to point out.

*This form implies that the speaker talks about two people, and that the person addressed is not included. In your case, I think you could use either Cilmelma (exclusive) or Cilmelwa (inclusive).
*I think an accent is needed here.
*Again, I would suggest carilmë (exclusive) or carilwë (inclusive).

(exclusive: we, but not you) Cilmelma erinqua ná ita carilmë i lúmessë i men antaina ná.
(inclusive: we, including you) Cilmelwa erinqua ná ita carilwë i lúmessë i men antaina ná.

DREAMS ARE ILLUSTRATIONS FROM THE BOOK YOUR SOUL IS WRITING

Olori/Olóri* nar halmer* i parmallo i fëalya/fëatya* téca.*
Dreams are drawings from the book that your soul is writing.

*Both should be plural forms of dream (olor or olórë). Note that Gandalf's name among the Maiar is Olórin!
*I couldn't come up with a closer word. According to [HKF], halmë is "isolated from Turuhalmë 'Log-drawing'" and is, therefore, only attested as a compound.
*Fëalya is formal/polite, whereas fëatya is more intimate.
*Since the only attested form of this verb seems to be an aorist tense according to [HKF], what I did here is create a new tense out of logical conclusions - but it's not attested.

A SINGLE DREAM IS MORE POWERFUL THAN A THOUSAND REALITIES

Again, a very nice translation was provided here by Morelen:

Morelen wrote:Erya olos* melehta ná epë húmë anwë* cuili.
A single dream is mightier than a thousand lives.

*Dream which bears vision-like qualities.
*You can leave it if you want to say "a thousand real, actual, true lives."

I don't have anything else to say about the translation. :) It looks great!

Interestingly, Morelen points out that the superlative is expressed in Quenya by the use of epë before - making our phrase read in English as "mightier before a thousand lives." According to him or her, although the translation sounds weird for us, it would be expressed like that in Quenya.

Of course, it'd be better if you waited for the point of view of Vea mi olori as well to see if he has something to add or to correct. :)


Thanks so much for your effort! I really appreciate it.
I once tried to learn quenya myself but I had to use an english learning book and english is not my first language so that proved to be a bit to difficult.

Anyways love the translations, thanks!!
ninque-elen
Petitioner to the Council
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:25 pm
Location: The Netherlands
Top

Postby Isildilmë » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:20 am

ninque-elen wrote:I once tried to learn quenya myself but I had to use an english learning book and english is not my first language so that proved to be a bit to difficult.

We understand this perfectly, because Dhani and I have also English as a second language only... but she is far better in English then I am ! The Quenya course took me a while to read for I wanted to understand perfectly every details :)
Concerning the Official Tengwar Transcription Thread - VI
To all the newbees, Welcome to TORC !
Before posting anything on this thread, READ THE INTRODUCTION. For now, I didn't have the time to update the intro, so I let you read the intro of thread #IV here.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the threads or by email (isildilme@hotmail.com - write "Tengwar" somewhere in the subject in case you fall in my junkmail, because if I don't know, I wont open the message !). Note that I don't accept transcription requests by email, you have to post them here !

You can address yourself to me in French, Spanish or English as you wish.


Special message : I have now two precious sons. They are my priorities, and an additional explanation for the delays in my answers. I WILL answer you... but you might have to wait. Thank you for your comprehension.
User avatar
Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

 
Posts: 4659
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:48 am
Location: Valinor, where else ?
Top

Postby Vea mi olori » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:32 pm

Sorry it's been so long since I've checked in here!

tigereyes18042
Our love — like a thousand stars in the night sky
Melmelma – ve húmë eleni telumë lómessë

I've added intelumëhere as the word for "sky", which Gladhaniel seems to have missed. I've also used the exclusive dual form rather than the inclusive dual, "just us two" rather than "us two" more generally, as you probably only express that sort of love to one other person.

Nickolas30
I know one thing, that I know nothing
Istanyë nat er*, i istanyë munta
I've usederhere as it has connotations of "only" and "alone" as well as "one", so I've gone beyond the strictly numerical "one" ofminë. The attributive construction is backed up by Tolkien'sEru er, "one God".

A breakdown of my thoughts on Tomahawk'sphrase as follows.

Elyë– emphatic pronoun, not strictly "but you", but the emphasis seems appropriate.
lindalë lerta tyaldëis music can played, now I look at it. It needs a second infinitive verb “to be” before the participle. This can be constructed bylindalë lerta návë tyaldë, where I've used the infinitive of "to be" as the verb "be" is after the verb "can".

Mmarieta
I've altered the phrase slightly as follows:

Everyone is building their own hours to come.
That which doesn't kill you raises your strength.
Through the love, through the tears, through the pain.
Happiness is not worthy to search for, it will find you.
Pursue your dreams to possess the things you desire.
Born to be continuous/enduring/lasting.

Ilquen* carita** lúmëntar tulë***
Tai umë nahtal(yë) orta túrenya
Ter i melmë, ter i nier,ter i nwalma
Márië**** umë valda ceÞta, hiruvasnyë*****
Roita olorinya harya i nati yestalyë
Nóna******* návë vórëa


*”everybody”
**active participle of “to do, make, build”
***infinitive of tul-, “to come”
****literally “goodness”, attested as (hara) máriessë “(stay) in happiness”
*****possibly the “it” particle (-s, independent noun se) cannot be used as the subject in this way. Can also possibly be senyë, but I’m not sure about that.
******ma may not be a valid word for “what”
*******I’d follow Gladhaniel’s suggestion for nóna meaning “born”

I think that's everything... if I've missed anyone please let me know!
User avatar
Vea mi olori
Shield Bearer

 
Posts: 387
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:18 pm
Location: Norfolk, UK
Top

Postby Vea mi olori » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:32 pm

Sorry it's been so long since I've checked in here!

tigereyes18042
Our love — like a thousand stars in the night sky
Melmelma – ve húmë eleni telumë lómessë

I've added intelumëhere as the word for "sky", which Gladhaniel seems to have missed. I've also used the exclusive dual form rather than the inclusive dual, "just us two" rather than "us two" more generally, as you probably only express that sort of love to one other person.

Nickolas30
I know one thing, that I know nothing
Istanyë nat er*, i istanyë munta
I've usederhere as it has connotations of "only" and "alone" as well as "one", so I've gone beyond the strictly numerical "one" ofminë. The attributive construction is backed up by Tolkien'sEru er, "one God".

A breakdown of my thoughts on Tomahawk'sphrase as follows.

Elyë– emphatic pronoun, not strictly "but you", but the emphasis seems appropriate.
lindalë lerta tyaldëis music can played, now I look at it. It needs a second infinitive verb “to be” before the participle. This can be constructed bylindalë lerta návë tyaldë, where I've used the infinitive of "to be" as the verb "be" is after the verb "can".

Mmarieta
I've altered the phrase slightly as follows:

Everyone is building their own hours to come.
That which doesn't kill you raises your strength.
Through the love, through the tears, through the pain.
Happiness is not worthy to search for, it will find you.
Pursue your dreams to possess the things you desire.
Born to be continuous/enduring/lasting.

Ilquen* carita** lúmëntar tulë***
Tai umë nahtal(yë) orta túrenya
Ter i melmë, ter i nier,ter i nwalma
Márië**** umë valda ceÞta, hiruvasnyë*****
Roita olorinya harya i nati yestalyë
Nóna******* návë vórëa


*”everybody”
**active participle of “to do, make, build”
***infinitive of tul-, “to come”
****literally “goodness”, attested as (hara) máriessë “(stay) in happiness”
*****possibly the “it” particle (-s, independent noun se) cannot be used as the subject in this way. Can also possibly be senyë, but I’m not sure about that.
******ma may not be a valid word for “what”
*******I’d follow Gladhaniel’s suggestion for nóna meaning “born”

I think that's everything... if I've missed anyone please let me know!
User avatar
Vea mi olori
Shield Bearer

 
Posts: 387
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:18 pm
Location: Norfolk, UK
Top

Postby olorindo » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:28 am

So I already had this translated to Sindarin But I would like to see what it looks like in Quenya:

"May folly be my cloak" or "Let folly be my cloak"


It's from a quote by Gandalf from The Fellowship of the Ring: "It is wisdom to recognize necessity, when all other courses have been weighed, though as folly it may appear to those who cling to false hope. Well, let folly be our cloak, a veil before the eyes of the Enemy! For he is very wise, and weighs all things to a nicety in the scales of this malice. But the only measure that he knows is desire, desire for power; and so he judges all hearts. Into his heart the thought will not enter that any will refuse it."

Thank you very much, you have made things so much easier for me!
olorindo
Petitioner to the Council
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:31 am
Top

Postby Gladhaniel » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:53 pm

olorindo:

I'm so sorry about the delay! I've been incredibly busy lately and couldn't find any time to do Quenya translations.. Hopefully this is not too late. :)

Nai úhandassë/lahandassë* collanya ná.*
May folly my cloak be.

*Unfortunately, words like folly, stupidity, foolishness, madness, insanity, imbecility or idiocy don't exist in Quenya (well, in any case I couldn't find them). I took a look at Xandarien's Sindarin translation to give me ideas, and I found that "unintelligent" was the only alternative I was able to render in Quenya. From handassë intelligence, we can construct different things. According to [HKF], we could use the prefix ú-, which means "no, not-, un-, in-" with a negative connotation (úhandassë); or la- ("un-, not-), giving lahandassë. I find the second one flows better, but the pejorative effect of the first one might be better.
*Tolkien's sentence Nai Eru lye mánata "May God bless you" (literally "May God you be blessing"), which is in the present continuative to indicate an ongoing wish {VT49:39}, can be used as a template for our sentence to form "May folly my cloak be" (may - subject - object - verb ). However, as our phrase is slightly different from the example we have here, applying a structure to it is mere extrapolation.

As always, it's better if you can wait for a second opinion. :D I don't know when Vea is going to have time to visit this thread, though.
User avatar
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

 
Posts: 794
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:49 pm
Location: Québec, Canada
Top

Postby Isildilmë » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:42 pm

Salut à vous deux !

I'd like your help to suggest some translation to one of my patients who wants his name in "elvish" (I'll ask at the Sindarin thread too)

It's Félix I read it can mean "happy", "lucky" and "fortunate"... I can find the words in Quenya myself, but I lack experience to turn them into names. Quenya Lapseparma proposes "Alasseo" or "Alasseon" using exclusively the "happy" meaning. Do you agree ? and what about the others possible meanings ? :D
Concerning the Official Tengwar Transcription Thread - VI
To all the newbees, Welcome to TORC !
Before posting anything on this thread, READ THE INTRODUCTION. For now, I didn't have the time to update the intro, so I let you read the intro of thread #IV here.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the threads or by email (isildilme@hotmail.com - write "Tengwar" somewhere in the subject in case you fall in my junkmail, because if I don't know, I wont open the message !). Note that I don't accept transcription requests by email, you have to post them here !

You can address yourself to me in French, Spanish or English as you wish.


Special message : I have now two precious sons. They are my priorities, and an additional explanation for the delays in my answers. I WILL answer you... but you might have to wait. Thank you for your comprehension.
User avatar
Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

 
Posts: 4659
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:48 am
Location: Valinor, where else ?
Top

PreviousNext

Return to Language

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests