The Official Quenya Translation Thread II

Tolkien's worlds were birthed out of his love of language and his work at creating new ones. Enter into discussions surrounding Tolkien's languages.

Postby Isildilmë » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:10 am

OK... just to help, I found the words to use as starting points :
Happy : I think it's better to use "joy" Alassë or "joyous" Alassëa to prevent any confusion using Valin which can have more than one meaning...
Luck : Valto (didn't find something officially attested for "lucky", but we may extrapolate...)
For "fortunate", I found many things, I don't know what would be better :
Herenya : fortunate
Heren : fortune, governance
Almo : good fortune
Marto : fortune, fate, lot
Manar or Mandë : fate/fortune

Just to add a context, this young man is permanently disabled, in a wheelchair. So the meaning of his name itself can look weird with his situation (lucky, fortunate), but I guess it depends on how he sees things, of his philosophy... I guess that a word for "fortune/fortunate" that can also bear the meaning of fate or destiny could be appropriated, even if that may not be the exact original meaning or the name Félix. Any opinion is welcome.

edit : oh, and I don't know if the names you will propose will have a special signification, as in Sindarin ("Male person of joy", etc.), for I'm not used enough with creating names, but if they "mean" something by there form or composition, I'd like to know so I can tell Félix about it. Thanks !
Concerning the Official Tengwar Transcription Thread - VI
To all the newbees, Welcome to TORC !
Before posting anything on this thread, READ THE INTRODUCTION. For now, I didn't have the time to update the intro, so I let you read the intro of thread #IV here.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the threads or by email (isildilme@hotmail.com - write "Tengwar" somewhere in the subject in case you fall in my junkmail, because if I don't know, I wont open the message !). Note that I don't accept transcription requests by email, you have to post them here !

You can address yourself to me in French, Spanish or English as you wish.

Special message : I have now two precious sons. They are my priorities, and an additional explanation for the delays in my answers. I WILL answer you... but you might have to wait. Thank you for your comprehension.
Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

'Dreamer'

Postby devilishangel » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:56 am

Gladhaniel wrote:jaymee:

Vea mi olori wrote:I can't find any word for "dreamer", nor a direct method to make a verb into a "verb-doer" noun (e.g. run into runner, work into worker etc). But I can put together a compound that means more or less that -oloriquenis "dreaming-person".

Why put an i between olor and quen? I think the consonant cluster rqu is valid, so Olorquen should be okay. :)

I think adding a name suffix to olor or olórë is another good alternative! Here your gender becomes important.

Female:
Olorë
Olorissë
Olorindë

Male:
Olor(n)o
Olorindo
Olormo
Olór(n)ëo

Hey guys
I know this isn't the ideal way to write my first post, but it seems what I want is something that has been partly deciphered!

I was hoping to find the translation for the word 'dreamer' in Quenya. In response to the above posts, I was just wondering what exactly would be the translation if the meaning was basically 'one who dreams' where 'one' means person (male in this context).

I'm sorry for giving such a lengthy explanation, just that I wanted to express what I meant as best as I could!

devilishangel
Petitioner to the Council

Oops!

Postby devilishangel » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:05 pm

Oops!
Apparently I missed the posts right after the one I quoted *sheepish expression*
sorry!

So would Olorindo or olorquen be more appropriate for the meaning 'one who dreams'/'man who dreams'?
devilishangel

Postby Gladhaniel » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:58 pm

Isildilmë:

Considering Felix's situation, I find that a name with the meaning happy would be the best, because it could imply a positive attitude and an ability to find happiness and beauty even in difficulties. :) For this option, I also find that alassë or alassëa would be the best choice.

All of the following come from alassë joy, merriment and should mean "male person of joy" [RE]. It really only comes down to Félix's personal choice.

Alassëo
Alassëon
Alasseno
Alassemo

By using suffixes, it is also possible to create "male person of luck" out of valto luck (but personally, I still prefer the options previously listed). The -o at the end of the word makes the attachment of a lot of suffixes awkward or impossible, though - so there aren't many possibilities. Also note that valto alone is already a "masculine-looking" noun, since it finishes with typical masculine ending -o.

Valtono
Valtomo

For fortunate, I find the word choice a bit more difficult. I think I find marto "fortune, fate, lot" the most appropriate alternative for our particular context. In this case, the endings -no and -mo could be attached (similarly to what we did with valto, another -o word). This would make "male person of fortune."

Martono
Martomo

Regarding the other possibility you told me about on Facebook, Alassëa Herenya, I don't think I would go with that - because herenya apparently means wealthy and rich as well, which is probably not what we want to suggest in our use of the term fortunate. I'm not sure whether it would be possible to combine alassëa with a compound like Martono/Martomo or Valtono/Valtomo to create what Félix seems to want, "happily fortunate/lucky." I wouldn't think so, since the compound names seem to act as proper names; and I don't think we could translate a proper noun with an adjective AND a proper noun. I'm at a loss at what to do here.. :(

I hope this helped a bit. :D I'd like to know about the evolution of things with Félix, if ever you want to discuss this further with me. :)

devilishangel:

I think both would work. Olorindo seems pretty safe to me, because the masculine agental suffix -indo is mentioned both here and here and apparently comes from Tolkien's examples melindo lover and colindo bearer. I would probably choose that alternative since it's gender specific. But I believe Olorquen would be okay as well! It's mentioned here; and [HKF] mentions it can be "combined with noun and adjective stems in old compounds to denote habitual occupations or functions, or to describe those having some notable (permanent) quality," which seems to fit the meaning we're looking for. :) So it's basically your choice! :D
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

Postby devilishangel » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:22 am

Gladhaniel wrote:devilishangel:

I think both would work. Olorindo seems pretty safe to me, because the masculine agental suffix -indo is mentioned both here and here and apparently comes from Tolkien's examples melindo lover and colindo bearer. I would probably choose that alternative since it's gender specific. But I believe Olorquen would be okay as well! It's mentioned here; and [HKF] mentions it can be "combined with noun and adjective stems in old compounds to denote habitual occupations or functions, or to describe those having some notable (permanent) quality," which seems to fit the meaning we're looking for. :) So it's basically your choice! :D

Hehehe.. Thanks! I think I'll go with Olorindo :) :)
Will post my design here once its ready... unless its against the forum rules :P
devilishangel

Postby Vea mi olori » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:44 am

devilishangel wrote:
Gladhaniel wrote:Will post my design here once its ready... unless its against the forum rules :P

Only if it's not on a family friendly part of your anatomy. But otherwise it should be fine. I'd also agree witholorindo, incidentally.

Regarding Felix, I'd go with the meanings of luck and fortune, rather than fate, as from my memory of Roman history it was often taken by people who considered themselves exceptionally lucky, favoured or successful. Given this, I'd sayherenyaor one of its male-name derivatives (like sayHerenyanowould work.

Sorry I've been absent lately, work was really busy these last two weeks - I haven't worked ten-hour days in a while!
Vea mi olori
Shield Bearer

Postby Isildilmë » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:16 am

Merci Dhani ! I'll add your suggestions to the list he'll have to look. I'll tell you what comes out... if I'm able to know myself !
Concerning the Official Tengwar Transcription Thread - VI
To all the newbees, Welcome to TORC !
Before posting anything on this thread, READ THE INTRODUCTION. For now, I didn't have the time to update the intro, so I let you read the intro of thread #IV here.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the threads or by email (isildilme@hotmail.com - write "Tengwar" somewhere in the subject in case you fall in my junkmail, because if I don't know, I wont open the message !). Note that I don't accept transcription requests by email, you have to post them here !

You can address yourself to me in French, Spanish or English as you wish.

Special message : I have now two precious sons. They are my priorities, and an additional explanation for the delays in my answers. I WILL answer you... but you might have to wait. Thank you for your comprehension.
Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby inmoilan » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:06 am

Hi!

Could you translate this quote for a tattoo (english-quenya):

Its better to die on your feet than to live on your knees

Thank you so much! :)
- Inke from Finland
inmoilan

Postby Gladhaniel » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:58 am

Isildilmë wrote:Merci Dhani ! I'll add your suggestions to the list he'll have to look. I'll tell you what comes out... if I'm able to know myself !

Ça fait plaisir! ;D

inmoilan:

Firë* talulyassë* ná mára lá eä* occatelyassë*.
Dying on your (two) feet is good beyond (=better than) existing on your (two) knees.

According to [HKF], the A ná ... lá B formula is the best way to convey the superlative in Quenya (even though the literal translation does sound a bit awkward here).

*I'm not sure whether the infinitive can be used in such a context, but I think it's the safest way to go.
*I'm very unsure about this word. It should actually mean "on your (two) feet" - but it contains a lot of extrapolation, and I'm particularly uncertain about the plural. tál foot ( stem tal-) + -u (dual plural ending) + -lya (formal second person singular possession) + -ssë ( locative, meaning in or on).
*This word is constructed similarly to talulyassë. However, the fact that the possession suffix -lya must be attached to occat is problematic. I added an ë in between, but I'm really not convinced it's the good way. :/

Of course, I suggest that you wait for Vea mi olori to come and give his input. :D
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

Postby Vea mi olori » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:50 am

Gladhaniel wrote:Firë talulyassë ná mára lá eä occatelyassë
Dying on your (two) feet is good beyond (=better than) existing on your (two) knees.

This works,but I feel the need to point out a correction: the dual form is still a plural form, and so the case-endings need to be modified, totalulyassenand[/b]occatelyassen[/b]respectively.

I've gone for a slightly different construction, avoiding the questions of things like infinitives and instead raising others:

Firla* tálilyassen** na arya*** éala**** occarnyassen
Dying on your feet is excelling existing on your knees.

*active participle offir-, signifying the condition someone or something is in.

**I know that the plural of "feet" as applied here is technically a dual form, but as we have an attested plural form in Parma Eldalambion without a dual accompanying it, I'm sticking with what we know. Extrapolating a dual form is still perfectly valid, though.

***aryais technically a derivative ofmára, which is stated by Helge to mean "better" in a comparative sense, although as before it's explicitly stated to be "excelling". The construction used by Gladhaniel is still valid though, I believe.

****Again, the active participle is used for the verbëa. There's part of me that thinks that the verb shouldn't have anything so crude as a stem-vowel as it's very irregular, but it's had a variety of standard permutations applied to it, so I think it's safe.

Both mine and Gladhaniel's versions seem to be technically fine (with the addition ofssen), so the end choice is yours.
Vea mi olori
Shield Bearer

Postby Gladhaniel » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:38 pm

Vea mi olori wrote:
Gladhaniel wrote:Firë talulyassë ná mára lá eä occatelyassë

This works,but I feel the need to point out a correction: the dual form is still a plural form, and so the case-endings need to be modified, totalulyassenandoccatelyassenrespectively.

Good point, thank you! :)

Vea mi olori wrote:I've gone for a slightly different construction, avoiding the questions of things like infinitives and instead raising others:

Firla* tálilyassen** na arya*** éala**** occarnyassen
Dying on your feet is excelling existing on your knees.

*active participle offir-, signifying the condition someone or something is in.

**I know that the plural of "feet" as applied here is technically a dual form, but as we have an attested plural form in Parma Eldalambion without a dual accompanying it, I'm sticking with what we know. Extrapolating a dual form is still perfectly valid, though.

***aryais technically a derivative ofmára, which is stated by Helge to mean "better" in a comparative sense, although as before it's explicitly stated to be "excelling". The construction used by Gladhaniel is still valid though, I believe.

****Again, the active participle is used for the verbëa. There's part of me that thinks that the verb shouldn't have anything so crude as a stem-vowel as it's very irregular, but it's had a variety of standard permutations applied to it, so I think it's safe.

Both mine and Gladhaniel's versions seem to be technically fine (with the addition ofssen), so the end choice is yours.

Looks great! :D

I'm just not sure about the active participles. In my notes, from Fauskanger's course, I wrote that the active participle for primary verbs is formed thus:
- Construction of the "continuative stem" ( lengthening the stem-vowel and adding -a)
- Ending -la is added to this form
So I think the active participle of fir- should be fírala. I double-checked here and that's also what they say. :) As for ëa, according to the same source, it should be ëala.

Now that I think back on it, I'm not too sure my use of as an infinitive is correct. As it's a really irregular verb and we have no attested infinitive form, I think it would be safer to stick with your alternative. I also like your use of the attested plural form of feet!

So, I believe the following should be pretty good:

Fírala talilyassen ná arya ëala occarnyassen.
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

Postby inmoilan » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:54 am

Thank you so much for your help, I don't know who I would have asked if I wouldn't have found this forum :) Kiitos paljon avustanne en tiedä mitä olisin tehnyt ilman tätä keskustelualuetta (in finnish) :wink:
inmoilan

Postby Gladhaniel » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:02 am

No problem! :D
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

Postby Fenris Stormfell » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:27 pm

Wondering if you can translate this:

Be the change you wish to see in this world.
and
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind
Fenris Stormfell

Postby Gladhaniel » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:55 am

Fenris Stormfell:

BE THE CHANGE YOU WISH TO SEE IN THE WORLD

Ána* i vinya hwesta* ya merilyë/merityë* cenë Ambaressë
Be the new breath (that) you wish to see in the world

*From [CoE]. Normally the imperative is formed by á [verb] ( which would make á ná) but, as the verb to be is often irregular, ána seems logical to me. It's an uncertain verb tense, though.
*As there is no word for change in Quenya, I thought "new breath" might be an appropriate poetic alternative.
*Merlyë is a formal alternative, whereas mertyë is more familiar/intimate. Both should mean "you wish" as a timeless and universal truth.

AN EYE FOR AN EYE MAKES THE WHOLE WORLD BLIND

I made many attempts at translating this sentence textually but, because of both the danger of a too literal translation and of an invalidating lack of vocabulary, I decided to take the meaning of the sentence and put it in other words, as I personally understood the original saying. I hope you don't mind! If you do, just tell me, and I'll try to do something that corresponds better to your wish. :) If your vision of the meaning of the sentence is different than mine, don't hesitate to point it out, either!

Nahtala nehta* tyaruva nwalma/nwalmë/naiquë/naiquelë* ar qualmë Ambaressë
Slaying a slayer will cause pain and death/agony in the world

*"Slaying a slayer" seemed to me to be the less cryptical meaning of "an eye for an eye". I would have liked to add an element of vengeance into it to make it even closer to the original sentence but, unfortunately, there's no such word in Quenya.
*You have many word choices here: nwalma pain, nwalmë torment and naiquë/naiquelë "sharp pain"

Of course, it's always better to wait for Vea mi olori to give his opinion on the translation as well! :D
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

Postby kittehsaurusrex » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:59 pm

Hi guys, I'm trying to get a translation for "While I breathe, I hope" (dum spiro spero)

I can see an earlier translation given for it was 'Írë suyan haryan estel' - "When I breathe, I have hope"
But i'm trying to go more for "while i breathe/am breathing, i will/have hope"

I had a go at translating it and got "yalus súyëan esteluvan" (where yalus is apparently "while") - does that sound right?

Can someone take another crack at it for me? :)
kittehsaurusrex

Postby Gladhaniel » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:26 pm

kittehsaurusrex:

Okay, let's analyze both the translation you were given and yours. :)

Translation you found wrote:Írë* suyan* haryan estel*

Your translation wrote:Yalus* súyëan* esteluvan*

*I did find yalus here as the equivalent of while. However, on this page I saw yarë instead; and I didn't find any translation of while elsewhere. Consequently, I would be tempted to stick by the largely attested word írë when in this situation, although it differs slightly from the meaning you want. When a word I'm looking for is missing, I always prefer to modify the meaning instead of creating words, or doing something risky - but that's my personal approach. :) Out of curiosity, where did you find yalus though? Maybe your source is valid and I just don't know it. ;) In that case, perhaps it would be a safe word to use!
*Both suyan and súyëan should be good (though I think the correct version of the first should be súyan with a lengthened u). Súyan is a general truth ("while I breathe, like I always do"), while súyëan reads "while I'm breathing at the moment."
*Here you seem to have used estel as a verb, whereas it is a noun. I can see why the translation you got from someone else used "have hope" instead, because it seems to be the only doable alternative here. Once again, it seems like we have to stretch the meaning a bit to make sure the grammar is as good as possible!

So, after all, the translation I get is almost exactly like the one you already found:

Írë súy(ë)an haryan estel
When I breathe/am breathing, I have hope

I'm sorry I wasn't able to come closer to the original meaning you wanted to keep. But who knows, maybe Vea is going to have another idea for us? :)

P.S. Very good attempt at translating, by the way! :D It's great to see someone giving a shot at it.
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

Transaltion in Quenya for a tatoo

Postby ealawen » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:36 am

Hello!

Could you please help me to translate the sentence " There is nothing real but dreams... " in Quenya. Then I would like to transcrib it into Tengwar and get it as a tattoo on my wrist.

Thank you so much what you're doing here is amazing :)
ealawen

Tattoo Translations please :)

Postby starsnocturnelle » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:11 am

Hi!

Thanks so much for offering this service! I am wanting to get a tattoo, and have had some english phrases transcribed into Tengwar by Isildilme already.
I'd just like to see some in Quenya too, so that I can decide whether I prefer the Quenya or English Tengwar-transcribed phrases.

Please could you translate the following into Quenya for me :)

Don't dream your life, Live your dreams.
Awaken your dreams.
Eternal Starlight.
In darkness a light can be found, Lift your eyes and see the stars.

Thanks so much in advance, your hard work is appreciated :)
starsnocturnelle

Postby tina_k » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:20 pm

Hello!

It has been a while now that am thinking of getting a tattoo either in Quenya or Sindarin with a Tengwar transcription!

So, can I please have the phrase

memoirs of a hidden soul

translated in Quenya please?

Greatly appreciated :)
tina_k

Postby Gladhaniel » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:31 pm

ealawen:

Since there is no Quenya equivalent that I know of for "there is," I had to twist your sentence a bit to make it translatable.

Nothing is real except dreams
Munta ná anwa* hequa olori*

*Anwa means "actual, true."
* Interestingly, olori happens to be the plural form of both olor and of olos, two words that mean dream. Note that olos has connotations of a vision as well. We could also construct a plural form out of olórë, another Quenya word for dream: olóri. However, as this plural is very similar to olori and is not attested, like the other is in {UT:396}, I would suggest olori as the safest alternative. :)

I'm still unsure about the overall sentence structure, though. Should there be punctuation somewhere in the sentence, maybe? (For example "Nothing is real, except dreams" or "Nothing is real; except dreams.") Or perhaps we could switch the sentence parts, as in "Nothing except dreams is real" or "Except dreams, nothing is real." I don't think we have any material (that I know of anyway) concerning Quenya punctuation or sentence structure, and I really wonder what would be best. I think it would be good to wait a bit and see what Vea thinks. :)

starsnocturnelle and tina_k: I'm working on your requests. :D
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

Postby ealawen » Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:38 am

Thanks a lot! I like the way you've translated it. I'm also unsure about the overall sentence structure^^ Maybe "Nothing is real, exact dreams" is better, but "Except dreams, nothing is real" is nice as well.

I agree with you and will wait for Vea's point of view.

Thanks again! :wink:
ealawen

Postby Gladhaniel » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:22 am

ealawen wrote:Thanks a lot! I like the way you've translated it. I'm also unsure about the overall sentence structure^^ Maybe "Nothing is real, exact dreams" is better, but "Except dreams, nothing is real" is nice as well.

I agree with you and will wait for Vea's point of view.

Thanks again! :wink:

You're welcome! :D Yes, I like those two as well. :)
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

Postby Gladhaniel » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:35 am

starsnocturnelle:

DON'T LIVE YOUR LIFE, LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Áva óla* coivielya/coivietya*, á súya* olorilya/oloritya.*
Don't dream your life, breathe your dreams.

*I highly doubt the verb ola- can take an object like that, but I see no better alternative.. :/
*Coivielya is the formal/polite form of you, whereas coivietya is familiar/intimate.
*I couldn't find a closer equivalent to live, which doesn't seem to exist in Quenya.
*See the response I wrote above to ealawen's request for more details about olori. :) Once again, the first option is formal and the second is familiar.

AWAKEN YOUR DREAMS

Á narta* olorilya/oloritya.*
Kindle your dreams.

*Narta- means kindle. I had found coiva- (cuiva-?) awaken as well, but elsewhere it's described as an adjective, so I can't be sure it's a valid verb. Besides, even if it was a verb, I doubt it would take an object.
*See my response to the previous sentence (last star). :)

ETERNAL STARLIGHT

Oira silmë*
Eternal light

*Silmë means "light of Silpion" (Silipion, or Telperion, being the elder of the Two Trees of Valinor). I see this word as almost holy; it's VERY beautiful. :)

IN DARKNESS A LIGHT CAN BE FOUND; LIFT YOUR EYES AND SEE THE STARS

Morniessë* lertalyë/lertatyë** hirë cála/calë*; á orta hendulya/hendutya* ar á cenë i eleni.
In darkness you can find (a) light; lift up your eyes and see the stars.

*Although we have other options for darkness as well, I think I would privilege mornië. It's quite a fascinating word! Look at what is written in Fauskanger's wordlist:

Ardalambion wrote:"darkness" (Nam, RGEO:67), "dark, blackness"; (PE17:73). Early "Qenya" also has Mornië "Black Grief", "the black ship that plies between Mandos and Erumáni" (LT1:261). This is probably a compound of mor- "black" and nië "tear".

* There are several alternatives for can, all with little subtleties in meaning, but I believe I would go for lerta- (acording to {VT41:6}, can in the sense of "I am free to do so, there being no obstacle of promise, secrecy, or duty").
* Both those words mean light.
*Again the formal and the intimate alternatives. :)

I would suggest you wait for Vea mi olori's input as well! :D
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

Postby Gladhaniel » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:40 am

tina_k:

Quentasta* muina/halda/foina/hurin* fëo
Memoirs of a hidden soul

* According to [HKF], quentasta means "any particular arrangement, by some author, of a series of reconds or evidences into a given historical account" - which seems to me to be a pretty close equivalent of memoir.
*You have several choices here: muina secret, halda "veiled, shadowed, shady," foina hidden and hurin "hidden/concealed" (the last one is interestingly similar to Húrin, the important Silmarillion character, but does sound weird placed just before fëo).

The more I look at the sentence, the more I'm confused by the structure, which can be loosely translated to "memoirs hidden of a soul" - but I don't see how else the meaning could be rendered! Let's wait for Vea to come and tell us what he thinks. :)
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

Thanks!

Postby starsnocturnelle » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:09 pm

Thankyou so much Gladhaniel!

I love how you have added how you went about translating my phrases and different word options I can use!

I will wait for Vea mi olori's opinion too and then I can go back to Isildilme to have my phrases transcribed ready for a tattoo! :D

Thank you again, so much! :)
starsnocturnelle

Re: Thanks!

Postby Gladhaniel » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:54 pm

starsnocturnelle wrote:Thankyou so much Gladhaniel!

I love how you have added how you went about translating my phrases and different word options I can use!

I will wait for Vea mi olori's opinion too and then I can go back to Isildilme to have my phrases transcribed ready for a tattoo! :D

Thank you again, so much! :)

It's a pleasure! :D

Yes, I always find it necessary to explain everything so the person has as many details and information as possible. :) And it's a very good idea to wait for Vea! I wish you good luck with your tattoo, and will follow the Tengwar thread for developments. ;)
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

Postby Vea mi olori » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:01 pm

Hi, sorry about the delay, work has been busy lately.

Fenris Stormfell

I've had to adapt words slightly, but come up with the following:

Be the change (of mind/mood) you wish to see in this world
Na i inwis merl(yë)/mertyë cenë Ambar sina

I've used imperativenafrom the attested formna aina"be holy".

inwisis mentioned as "change of mind, mood", so it might be a slightly off word, but it's the closest I could find for "change", and adds an additional layer of "it starts with attitude" sort of thing (I might be scraping the barrel there...).

I went more literally than Gladhaniel for the next one...

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind
Hen henden carë i quanda ambar úcen

úcenis a compound meaning "without sight" withcen-as a noun attested inapacenyë"foresight" andtercen"insight".

kittehsaurusrex

Again, I couldn't find#yalusanywhere, and had to rejig the wording slightly:

As I breathe, I possess hope
Sívë þúya, haryan estel

Theþis pronounced s in Quenya, but is written with a different tengwa to s, so if you're getting it transcribed you'll need to note that.

ealawen
I came up with a slightly different translation than Gladhaniel, withapa"but" rather thanhequa"except", but I thinkhequais closer to the meaning in this phrase.

If you wanted "except dreams, nothing is real", you simply reverse it tohequa olori, munta ná anwa.

starsnocturnelle

I couldn't find a verb "to dream" anywhere, and I'm not sure about Gladhaniel's use ofola-, but I did come up with the following formulation. I'm not sure about it at all, as it seems a little contradictory, but here it is:

Don't slumber in your life, be alive in your dreams
Áva lorë cuilenyassë, ëa coina olorinyassë

I'm not completely sure about the use ofëain this context; the use of ëatalks about absolute existence so it might not be able to be used as simple "be" in this case, but as be can = exist, I've used it here.

Awaken your dreams
Á eccoita olorinya

I've foundeccoitaas a verb meaning "awake", but it's an extrapolation from an article in Vinya Tengwar, so without a context I can't be completely sure of its validity.

Eternal Starlight
Oira Silmëis the conclusion I came to too.

I took a slightly different tack with the next one, adjusting the phrasing:

In darkness light may be found. Raise your [pair of] eyes and see the stars
Morniëssë cala ce hirna. Á orta hendulya ar cenë i eleni

The only difference apart from may or can is that I haven't re-iterated the imperative particle in "see the stars" (á). I'd leave it out as it sounds like you're demanding the other person to see the stars (I read Gladhaniel's translation as "Raise your eyes! See the stars!"). It feels like it flows better without it.

Tina_k
Memoirs of a hidden soul
Quentasta lomna fëo

I've used the past participle of "hide" rather than another adjective.

Sorry for the prolonged absence, it's good to be back!
Vea mi olori
Shield Bearer

Postby sandra » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:15 am

May I ask for the following words to be translated into Quenya on behalf of our member elise197 who is having difficulties posting here.

"Lifemate" "Beloved of my soul"

"Trust" "Love"

"One Ring To Show Our Love - One Ring To Bind Us - One Ring To Seal Our Love - And Forever To Entwine Us"

Thank you :)
sandra
Ringbearer

Postby Gladhaniel » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:18 pm

elise197: I'm working on your request! :)

In the meantime, here is my response to Vea mi olori's double takes on the past requests. :D If anyone wants to try to construct final sentences following our comments, don't hesitate to post them so we can verify!

Fenris Stormfell:

I think pretty much all of Vea's alternatives are good. :) There are only a couple of things I would like to point out:

Vea mi olori wrote:Be the change (of mind/mood) you wish to see in this world
Na i inwis merl(yë)/mertyë* cenë Ambar* sina

*I think an i is needed to indicate the aorist tense here: so either merilyë or merityë. :)
*Shouldn't it be Ambaressë? I feel like there's an in missing. :) I'm now confused about Ambar, though. From the attested example Ambar-metta, I had always assumed it was to be used as a proper name without article; but when double-checking, I realized it was actually more often used as a common noun, which would imply the need of the article i in a sentence such as this one. So either it can be left that way, or become ...cenë i ambaressë sina instead.

You can choose between the different alternatives we gave you, Fenris: they should all be correct. :D

kittehsaurusrex:

Vea mi olori wrote: As I breathe, I possess hope
Sívë* þúya,* haryan estel

*I doubt sívë can be used for as in this context. We have it in the attested sentence "in heaven as [here] on earth," which shows that it is used to compare elements and not to indicate a point in time.
*I believe the subject is missing here. :)

starsnocturnelle:

Vea mi olori wrote:Don't slumber in your life, be alive in your dreams
Áva lorë* cuilenyassë,* ëa* coina olorinyassë*

I like this construction better! :)

*Nice word choice, especially since lor is said in {Letters:308} to mean n. dream.
*I think it should be cuilelyassë (formal) or cuiletyassë (intimate), right? What you wrote is the first person possession. Same thing with olorinyassë, which I think should be olorilyassë or olorityassë.
Starsnocturnelle:Cuilë means "life, being alive," while the word I used in my translation, coivië, is simply life. You can use either of them. The correct form with coivië should be coivielyassë (formal) or coivietyassë (intimate).
*Ëa is "be, exist." Its imperative form seems to be attested, so I would tend to prefer it over the other verb I had used earlier.

Vea mi olori wrote:In darkness light may be found. Raise your [pair of] eyes and see the stars
Morniëssë cala ce hirna. Á orta hendulya ar cenë i eleni

Looks good! :D Just note that hendulya is formal, and not intimate.

tina_k:

Vea's alternative should be equally good, so you get to choose the formulation you prefer! :D
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

PreviousNext

Return to Language