The Official Sindarin Translation Thread II

Tolkien's worlds were birthed out of his love of language and his work at creating new ones. Enter into discussions surrounding Tolkien's languages.

Re: The Official Sindarin Translation Thread II

Postby Xandarien » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:06 am

chupeechan wrote:Hello,

I'd like to get a tattoo with my daughter's name (Rose) in Sindarin
I know it's translated as "meril" but it's the actual writing that I'd like but I don't know where I can find it...
I really hope I got the right place to post my question as I'm French (so my English is one I learned with fanfictions)
Anyway, I hope you'll be able to help me ^^

Thanks a lot !

Terribly sorry for the late reply - for the writing, or tengwar, you need to pop over to this thread where Isidilme creates transcriptions :) just make sure to tell her that the language is Sindarin
Xandarien
Rider of the Mark

Postby atfitzhu » Tue May 23, 2017 6:48 am

I am standing up in a wedding and the bride is a huge LOTR fan. As part of my speech I would like to say something to the couple in elvish and I am wondering if i can get a translation...

Yours is the love of great books and movies, yours is the love that people look for, and yours will be the love that will withstand
atfitzhu
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Xandarien » Tue May 23, 2017 8:25 am

atfitzhu wrote:I am standing up in a wedding and the bride is a huge LOTR fan. As part of my speech I would like to say something to the couple in elvish and I am wondering if i can get a translation...

Yours is the love of great books and movies, yours is the love that people look for, and yours will be the love that will withstand

Oh, wow. It won't be word for word as hopefully you can appreciate, but I will do my best:

I veleth gîn i veleth [perf/o berf] a imm dhaer, i veleth lî cestar, a i veleth i breniatha = Your love is the love of great books and images, the love people seek, and the love that will endure

The choice in brackets is between perf = books, and o berf = from books, as I wasn't 100% sure whether you meant that their love is the love that you find in great books and films (choose 'o berf') or that they love great books and films (choose 'perf').

I veleth gîn = Your love
i = the
perf = books
a = and
imm = images, pictures
dhaer = great
lî = people
cestar = they seek, search for
breniatha = it will endure
Xandarien
Rider of the Mark